• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I am getting sick of paying like $90 to AAA for me and my wife...

Would appreciate if someone could share a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in Advance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
cynicalcriminal said: <blockquote><hr><br><br>I talked to the Tow Truck driver about AAA and he told me that AAA reimbur... (more)

poison7FL (Apr. 25, 2006 @ 9:41a) |

vegetation said: <blockquote><hr>stokelys said: <blockquote><hr>cynicalcriminal said: <blockquote><hr>stokelys said: <bl... (more)

stokelys (Apr. 25, 2006 @ 2:59p) |

chocoruacal said: <blockquote><hr>cynicalcriminal said: <blockquote><hr><br>I agree as well on that regard.<br><br><hr><... (more)

stokelys (Apr. 25, 2006 @ 3:02p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

i think for $2/month you can add this to your cell phone (Cingular) and it covers all family members.

its not AAA but similar.

progressive used to give me 5% discount for AAA. Not sure if they do anymore might ask. that paid for AAA+ itself the year i actually had AAA lol

I'm a member of BP Motor Club..I can't remember what I pay offhand but I know it's a lot less than what AAA is. It also comes with a cool travel service at no charge...I have been able to get great room discounts from it.

Statefarm charges me $2/6 months for emergency roadside assistance. This is for one car. Only obvious difference for me is I dont get maps.

it all depends on how much you want to sacrifice. you get what you pay for in the form of delay times with the tow truck coming. also consider how far the towtruck will go.

MBZ32190 said: [Q]...I have been able to get great room discounts from it.

Care to share some details in FW Travel??


Make sure to read the fine print. Towing can make a world of difference whether they tow it to the nearest service station or will tow it back to your house (within reasonable distance) or repair shop of your choice.

k000 said: [Q]I am getting sick of paying like $90 to AAA for me and my wife...

Would appreciate if someone could share a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in Advance.


AAA is cheap as hell for the convience it offers.

SonOfZeus said: [Q]MBZ32190 said: [Q]...I have been able to get great room discounts from it.

Care to share some details in FW Travel??

There really isn't that much to share. I remember last April I was staying just outside Baltimore. The best rate directly from the hotel was around $160/night, and a little cheaper on some third party sites. I called the travel number they give you (LiveTravel 1-800-582-6596) and asked them what was the lowest price in the general area for hotels and they gave me the rate of around $80 a night! YMMV.

Costco used to have this (in Califronia) not sure of the details but I heard it was less $$$.

I would recommend getting roadside assistance through your car insurance company, it's very cheap through mine. Also, if you have new car, some car companies offer free roadside assistance.

I've had AAA but dropped them after a semi-recent fiasco. I got 2 flat tires while visiting a friend in Washington, DC and had to wait 8 HOURS for a tow truck to arrive. Completely ludicrous!!!! After that I called and cancelled.


I have had drivers elite for years, and I have used them several time, with excellent response times..

http://www.driverselite.com/ - $54.95 yr

http://www.driverspremier.com/ - $84.95 yr

I work for a Law enforcement agency that calls AAA all the time for disabled motorists, and let me tell you... I would NEVER get AAA, they treat all customers like second rate trash, with 2+ hours response times.

21st century insurance offers free road-side assistance to it's members. Plus their policies aren't anymore expensive than most competitor insurance quotes.

I get mine through Verizon Wireless for $2.99/month.

Again:

Insurers' Road Service Could Prove Costly

[Q]
That's when the State Farm agent told her that three calls in three years for roadside assistance under her Geico policy counted against her as claims. Davis had two flat tires and once locked her keys in the car.

"If I had known it would have affected my ability to get insurance, I would have paid $60 to get AAA," Davis said.

AAA (American Automobile Association) doesn't report its road service calls to an outside company, but insurers do.



Well, that would be 0 change from AAA. The times I have had to wait were 45+ minutes. Plus, I do not like the political action AAA is engaging in.


RapaciousEbayer said: [Q]it all depends on how much you want to sacrifice. you get what you pay for in the form of delay times with the tow truck coming. also consider how far the towtruck will go.

Agree w/ the comments about AAA!


poison7FL said: [Q]I have had drivers elite for years, and I have used them several time, with excellent response times..

http://www.driverselite.com/ - $54.95 yr

http://www.driverspremier.com/ - $84.95 yr

I work for a Law enforcement agency that calls AAA all the time for disabled motorists, and let me tell you... I would NEVER get AAA, they treat all customers like second rate trash, with 2+ hours response times.

ibmman69 said: [Q]Agree w/ the comments about AAA!


poison7FL said: [Q]I have had drivers elite for years, and I have used them several time, with excellent response times..

http://www.driverselite.com/ - $54.95 yr

http://www.driverspremier.com/ - $84.95 yr

I work for a Law enforcement agency that calls AAA all the time for disabled motorists, and let me tell you... I would NEVER get AAA, they treat all customers like second rate trash, with 2+ hours response times.


I agree as well on that regard.

I spoke with a Tow Truck driver after an accident I was involved in (they had to come and flat-bed my car away, it was undriveable) ... I had been hit on the highway in a freezing-rainstorm on December 30th a couple years ago ... I waited something like an hour and a half for the towtruck to arrive (and I was within walking distance of civilization, it isn't like I live in the middle of nowhere). The stretch of road was so bad while I was waiting (in a knee deep snowbank because my car was "in too dangerous a position" for the cop to let me sit in it) 6 other accidents happened within 100 yards of me (one included another police officer responding to one of the OTHER accidents who was knocked off the road into the very same snowbank I was wading/waiting in).

I talked to the Tow Truck driver about AAA and he told me that AAA reimburses them SO LITTLE for the call that they sometimes LOSE money (especially with the gas prices always going up) that if they have ANY other calls they always take them before the AAA call ... sometimes bumping a AAA "emergency" 3 or 4 times before getting to it.

They don't want to take your AAA call .. and once they do they need to get you off their truck ASAP so they can get back to the real "paying" emergencies.

I asked him why his company takes AAA calls then .. and he made it sound like they basically HAD to even though it at most barely paid for the trip out there and left them with almost no profit (and sometimes a loss).

He was still nice to me about it .. but definetly let AAA verbally have it on our little trip.

I've been with other clubs like Autovantage and believe me, stay with AAA. Help comes much slower with other clubs and they don't offer all the benefits of AAA such as DMV services, maps, etc. If you're stranded on the freeway and forgot your cell phone, have fun trying to get a non-AAA truck called via the call box. It happened to me once and the driver left because he didn't accept Autovantage. It took me two hours to change the flat myself.

AAA also offers good rate on hotel. For myself, I don't get AAA just for the towing service. The travel planner, the maps, and all those travel deals, the DMV service, etc.

stokelys said: [Q]It took me two hours to change the flat myself.


There is one problem I've noticed alot of.

EVERYONE who owns a vehicle should know how to change their own tire on the side of the road in less than 20 minutes.


I've actually talked to folks who spent "two hours" on the roadside waiting for auto assistance crews to come change their tires. When I asked why they didn't just change it themselves they either replied "I don't know how/don't want to get dirty" or "Why? Thats what I pay AAA for!"

Unfortunate things (like flat tires) happen ... the best roadside assistance you have in that situation is your own two hands and knowledge of how to Do It Yourself.

cynicalcriminal said: [Q]stokelys said: [Q]It took me two hours to change the flat myself.


There is one problem I've noticed alot of.

EVERYONE who owns a vehicle should know how to change their own tire on the side of the road in less than 20 minutes.


I've actually talked to folks who spent "two hours" on the roadside waiting for auto assistance crews to come change their tires. When I asked why they didn't just change it themselves they either replied "I don't know how/don't want to get dirty" or "Why? Thats what I pay AAA for!"

Unfortunate things (like flat tires) happen ... the best roadside assistance you have in that situation is your own two hands and knowledge of how to Do It Yourself.


So you expect 60 year old grandmas to change their own tires in 20 minutes? You expect a business man in their suit and tie (going to an important meeting) to change their own tires?

I know how to change a flat. It's not rocket science. But try to do it on a dirt shoulder with inferior jacks and iron which rarely work well. I mean my brand new Honda SUV was supplied with a crappy iron which is almost impossible to loosen the nuts off the bolts. And the jackstand doesn't raise enough to pull off the tire unless you dig the ground (if cement you're screwed). So don't tell me about 20 minutes.



k000 said: [Q]I am getting sick of paying like $90 to AAA for me and my wife...

Would appreciate if someone could share a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks for starting this thread......

I had started a thread asking almost the same question, but didn't get much of a response....

At the moment my Mom has the AARP Motoring Plan From GE Motor Club and it's 69.00 yearly...They debit her bank account $17.25 every 3 months....

AARP Motoring


stokelys said: [Q]cynicalcriminal said: [Q]stokelys said: [Q]It took me two hours to change the flat myself.


There is one problem I've noticed alot of.

EVERYONE who owns a vehicle should know how to change their own tire on the side of the road in less than 20 minutes.


I've actually talked to folks who spent "two hours" on the roadside waiting for auto assistance crews to come change their tires. When I asked why they didn't just change it themselves they either replied "I don't know how/don't want to get dirty" or "Why? Thats what I pay AAA for!"

Unfortunate things (like flat tires) happen ... the best roadside assistance you have in that situation is your own two hands and knowledge of how to Do It Yourself.


So you expect 60 year old grandmas to change their own tires in 20 minutes? You expect a business man in their suit and tie (going to an important meeting) to change their own tires?

I know how to change a flat. It's not rocket science. But try to do it on a dirt shoulder with inferior jacks and iron which rarely work well. I mean my brand new Honda SUV was supplied with a crappy iron which is almost impossible to loosen the nuts off the bolts. And the jackstand doesn't raise enough to pull off the tire unless you dig the ground (if cement you're screwed). So don't tell me about 20 minutes.

Apparently some people here don't live in urban areas, but it's not uncommon for busy metro highways to have extremely narrow shoulders with no medians. Totally unsafe to do a tire change on the side facing traffic. Drunks constantly ram into these kind of cars.

cynicalcriminal said: [Q]
I agree as well on that regard.


So lets see...freezing rainstorm...6 other accidents just in your area...jeez...wonder why the two took a while. People, if you're going to throw out anecdotal observation, at least think about it for more than a few seconds before you post LOL.

Me, I've had AAA take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and that's a perfectly realistic expectation as far as I'm concerned, as one may be 5 miles or 50 miles from the nearest station. AAA is only expensive if you never have to use it <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border=0>

cynicalcriminal said: [Q]

I talked to the Tow Truck driver about AAA and he told me that AAA reimburses them SO LITTLE for the call that they sometimes LOSE money (especially with the gas prices always going up) that if they have ANY other calls they always take them before the AAA call ... sometimes bumping a AAA "emergency" 3 or 4 times before getting to it.



This is true, i believe they get $15, for each call. They do it for the extra charges, like extra towing, gas delivery charges, etc.

vegetation said: [Q]stokelys said: [Q]cynicalcriminal said: [Q]stokelys said: [Q]It took me two hours to change the flat myself.


There is one problem I've noticed alot of.

EVERYONE who owns a vehicle should know how to change their own tire on the side of the road in less than 20 minutes.


I've actually talked to folks who spent "two hours" on the roadside waiting for auto assistance crews to come change their tires. When I asked why they didn't just change it themselves they either replied "I don't know how/don't want to get dirty" or "Why? Thats what I pay AAA for!"

Unfortunate things (like flat tires) happen ... the best roadside assistance you have in that situation is your own two hands and knowledge of how to Do It Yourself.


So you expect 60 year old grandmas to change their own tires in 20 minutes? You expect a business man in their suit and tie (going to an important meeting) to change their own tires?

I know how to change a flat. It's not rocket science. But try to do it on a dirt shoulder with inferior jacks and iron which rarely work well. I mean my brand new Honda SUV was supplied with a crappy iron which is almost impossible to loosen the nuts off the bolts. And the jackstand doesn't raise enough to pull off the tire unless you dig the ground (if cement you're screwed). So don't tell me about 20 minutes.

Apparently some people here don't live in urban areas, but it's not uncommon for busy metro highways to have extremely narrow shoulders with no medians. Totally unsafe to do a tire change on the side facing traffic. Drunks constantly ram into these kind of cars.


Exactly. If you're already paying for this service, why risk it? I mean I ended having to do it because they didn't accept Autovantage, but I'd rather a professional do it every time, rather than risk getting run over by a drunk. Not too long ago, a semi rear-ended a disabled truck that was parked on the shoulder, killing both the father and son. I've also witnessed a semi jack-knife in front of me and slam in to the side of hill.... imagine if you were there changing a flat on the shoulder....

chocoruacal said: [Q]cynicalcriminal said: [Q]
I agree as well on that regard.


So lets see...freezing rainstorm...6 other accidents just in your area...jeez...wonder why the two took a while. People, if you're going to throw out anecdotal observation, at least think about it for more than a few seconds before you post LOL.

Me, I've had AAA take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and that's a perfectly realistic expectation as far as I'm concerned, as one may be 5 miles or 50 miles from the nearest station. AAA is only expensive if you never have to use it <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border=0>


Same here. AAA has always responded within an hour of every call. Even when my dad's car was stuck in mud up a mountain, they arrived within an hour.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014