This thread is for posting questions on:
-Customize
-Accessories
-Add on
-Software, hardware issues
-Tweaks
-Deals for your S4211!

Hope you enjoy your machine!
Edit by Moderator: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
fresh463 said: <blockquote><hr>jimrome said: <blockquote><hr>This model may have the battery recalled. Check here:<br><... (more)

pineapples10 (Oct. 28, 2006 @ 7:27p) |

So I upgraded the lappy to Vista today. I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't been able to find the mouse driver that al... (more)

jkj (Jan. 02, 2007 @ 4:49p) |

jkj said: <blockquote><hr>So I upgraded the lappy to Vista today. I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't been able to fin... (more)

mrblueyzz (Jan. 06, 2007 @ 8:59a) |

Text

free stuff to go with your notebook
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hi, has anyone tried to totally reinstall windows xp pro? I installed xp pro (new installation, repartioned hard drive). I have problem to install last driver called "modem device on high definition audio bus". Laptop recover disk has this driver, but after installing the driver, windows still keeps poping up "found new hard ware" and asking for driver. Thanks.

-update- i figured it out myself. thanks.

I snagged one for myself - not to FeeBay, but to upgrade from a Toshiba M55-S331 I bought earlier thinking I'd like the smaller size. Well I do for the machinem but I can't get used to the 14" widescreen.

A couple questions/opinions. Will the processor in the S4211 be clearly faster than the Pentium M 740 I am running now (with a gig of RAM mind you)? How about battery life? Any expectations on real world battery life with the S4211?

I don't really like the S331 as much as I thought I would. I can't seem to "warm up" to it, mainly due to the small display - first time I've tried to actually use a 14" wide. That's why I bought this S4211, even without the $100 off... and I have NO need for the AIO that they charged me $9.98 for (so there is no sense taking just the AIO back).

So thoughts on battery life and performance???

As per manual it accepts

Memory
• Configured with 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be
occupied)
• 512MB(min)/4096MB (max), 2 memory slots using 256MB, 512MB
PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SDRAM, dual-channel support requires
two memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed

Is there any advantage of buying dual channel RAM or should just add one more 1GB module and get it upto 1.5GB instead of 2GB(2x1GB)?

Any good deal on RAM?

what kindda ram do i need

DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
DDR2 533 (PC2 4300)
DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

Please help. can i install DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)? or they only support DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) ?

Thanks

shade45 said: [Q]what kindda ram do i need

DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
DDR2 533 (PC2 4300)
DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

Please help. can i install DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)? or they only support DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) ?

Thanks

Go with PC5300, as sb has upgraded but not known what's brand of his.

don't know if this one will work with it or not -
Transcend 1GB PC5300 667Ghz Memory Chip

it ought to work as long as its 200 pin and a higher mhz than pc4200...

Can anyone comment on what bundled software is safe to uninstall, particularly the Toshiba services. I am used to using slower machines and always use the xp wireless connection managers versus the one from the manufacturer...

tia.

aCITYDweLLer said: [Q]it ought to work as long as its 200 pin and a higher mhz than pc4200...

so i can install DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) with no problem right? i mean i want the fast ram

shade45 said: [Q]aCITYDweLLer said: [Q]it ought to work as long as its 200 pin and a higher mhz than pc4200...

so i can install DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) with no problem right? i mean i want the fast ram

they're backward compatible so it will work. but it'll work at the slowest speed of the two.

zno said: [Q]shade45 said: [Q]aCITYDweLLer said: [Q]it ought to work as long as its 200 pin and a higher mhz than pc4200...

they're backward compatible so it will work. but it'll work at the slowest speed of the two.

exactly, it will work based on the lowest common denominator.

mjoshi said: [Q]As per manual it accepts

Memory
occupied)

Is there any advantage of buying dual channel RAM or should just add one more 1GB module and get it upto 1.5GB instead of 2GB(2x1GB)?

not sure which will be better or faster.
but i personally go with another 512mb stick and enable dual-channel.
never say never but i never go over 1GB at home or work even with 20-30 applications running at the same time.

zno said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]As per manual it accepts

Memory
occupied)

never say never but i never go over 1GB at home or work even with 20-30 applications running at the same time.

The motherboard supports memory chips with higher speed than PC4200, confirmed.

sssave said: [Q]zno said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]As per manual it accepts

Memory
occupied)

yeah i knew that but what i'm trying to understand is this...

which will be better?
2 x 512MB & Dual Ch. enabled
or
1 x 1G + 1 x 512MB & Dual Ch. disabled

aCITYDweLLer said: [Q]Can anyone comment on what bundled software is safe to uninstall, particularly the Toshiba services. I am used to using slower machines and always use the xp wireless connection managers versus the one from the manufacturer...

tia.

Get rid of everything that says AOL from your machine. Also if you've any other anti-virus get rid of MAcafee. I personally run Windows Live and it has very small foot print compared to Macafee. Only thing I dont like about this computer is it does only 1280x800 which gives very less screen real estate compared to Dell.

zno said: [Q]sssave said: [Q]zno said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]As per manual it accepts

Memory
occupied)

yeah i knew that but what i'm trying to understand is this...

which will be better?
2 x 512MB & Dual Ch. enabled
or
1 x 1G + 1 x 512MB & Dual Ch. disabled

I'm under same confusion. Should buy 512 or 1gb ?

zno said: [Q]shade45 said: [Q]aCITYDweLLer said: [Q]it ought to work as long as its 200 pin and a higher mhz than pc4200...

so what if i install two DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)? you think i'll get a maximum speed. ?

First just a quick thank you to the helpful posts at FW regarding buying this computer.

I just got done chatting with the folks at Crucial.com, here it is:

Welcome to Crucial Technology's Expert Online. An Expert Online agent will join you in a moment... Please do not begin typing until you have been connected to an agent.

Hello, my name is Brian . How may I help you?

jimrome: Hi how are you?

Brian : I am doing fine. What can I help you with?

jimrome: I just purchased this laptop: http://www.Crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?mfr=Toshiba&model=Satellite+A105+Series&tabid=AM

jimrome: It has one stick of 512GB 4200 Memory. If I buy another gig of memory that runs at 5300, and still keep the 512 stick that runs slower, will the memory all run at the slower speed?

Brian : Yes, the faster memory will clock down to the slower speed if the slower memory is left in the computer.

jimrome: OK. And the ad when I bought the computer said it would take up to 4 GIG, but your site says it will only take 2 GIG. Which is correct?

Brian : One moment, please, while I review your inquiry.

jimrome: Here is the exact model number: Toshiba A105-S4211

Brian : I am showing that the max memory for your Toshiba is 2GB.

jimrome: One last question, how much of a speed difference will I see running the 5300 vs. the 4200 speed memory?

Brian : You will not see a very big difference unless you are running very high performance programs.

Brian : It's almost unnoticeable.

jimrome: Thanks for your help. Have a nice day.

jimrome: Bye.

Brian : You're welcome. Thank you for visiting Crucial.com, and have a great day.

Also here is a link to the memory that Crucial recommends:

Linky

Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=1309121113&Submit=ENE&Description=SODIMM+DDR2+PC2%2D4200&Ntk=all

Note this are all SODIMM DDR2 PC2-4200 modules.

Also note as per Crucial's website

Important!The Crucial System Scanner has determined that you only have one empty memory slot available for an upgrade. To maximize the performance of your system, consider purchasing the largest compatible upgrade your computer will support. Simply subtract the amount of memory currently installed from your computer's maximum memory capacity. This will give you the module size (number of megabytes) that we recommend. Just make sure you don't exceed the maximum amount of megabytes your computer can handle

Important thing to note in above is "the largest compatible upgrade your computer will support".

link to crucial

And as per it recommeds 512MB module but on Compatible upgrades it shows from 256MB to 2GB modules. So what does that mean ?

mjoshi said: [Q]Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=1309121113&Submit=ENE&Description=SODIMM+DDR2+PC2%2D4200&Ntk=all

Hey, guys, as I have said, this laptop supports PC5300 memory chips and this is the advanatage you can take. If you upgrade, go with higher speed memory chips such the link below -
1GB PC5300 Memory Module from NewEgg

sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg

Hey, guys, as I have said, this laptop supports PC5300 memory chips and this is the advanatage you can take. If you upgrade, go with higher speed memory chips such the link below -

Will it be good idea to keep current 512MB and add additional 1GB Module ? or will need to replace both ?

Anyone figure out how ot use the Express Media Player feature? i can't get it to boot

mjoshi said: [Q]sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg

Will it be good idea to keep current 512MB and add additional 1GB Module ? or will need to replace both ?

If you can go with 1.5GB, that will be better than 2x512MB. Dual channel chips only increases 5% of performance.

sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg

If you can go with 1.5GB, that will be better than 2x512MB. Dual channel chips only increases 5% of performance.

Thanks I was expecting similar answer. And with Vista coming out it would be better to have 1.5GB instead of 1024MB.

mjoshi said: [Q]sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]sssave said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]Here are link to some 1GB RAM compatible with A105-S4211 from Newegg

Thanks I was expecting similar answer. And with Vista coming out it would be better to have 1.5GB instead of 1024MB.

Please keep us posted if anybody sucessfully configurate the laptop with a 1GB memory module (maker/speed). Thanks.

mjoshi said: [Q]

Is there a link to information on the performance improvement for going from 1GB to 1.5GB in Vista? No point in spending money that might not need to be spent. If you are doing memory intensive tasks like graphics that's different, but for normal laptop use like web, MSOffice etc I don't think more than 1GB is needed. Obviously you won't be playing high end memory intensive games on this laptop.

Here's an interesting post:

Link

"Even when running multiple apps across a 3.2 million pixel desktop with full desktop composition enabled (Aero Glass). The apps in use include Windows Media Player playing a 640x480 MPEG-2 recording, multiple instances of IE 7 with multiple tabs open, GAIM with session to IRC and MSN IM, Vista Sidebar, Tivo Desktop in the process of transferring video and the afore mentioned background instance of IIS 7 and MS Virtual Server. Total commit charge is 1.04 GB (1/4 of the total possible) with only about 400MB of actual physical memory in use. Vista’s memory utilization is more efficient than what is implied by some posters"

Good discussions about ram, but what about battery upgrades? I would like to get longer life from this laptop.

namlook said: [Q]mjoshi said: [Q]

Is there a link to information on the performance improvement for going from 1GB to 1.5GB in Vista? No point in spending money that might not need to be spent. If you are doing memory intensive tasks like graphics that's different, but for normal laptop use like web, MSOffice etc I don't think more than 1GB is needed. Obviously you won't be playing high end memory intensive games on this laptop.

Here's an interesting post:

Link

"Even when running multiple apps across a 3.2 million pixel desktop with full desktop composition enabled (Aero Glass). The apps in use include Windows Media Player playing a 640x480 MPEG-2 recording, multiple instances of IE 7 with multiple tabs open, GAIM with session to IRC and MSN IM, Vista Sidebar, Tivo Desktop in the process of transferring video and the afore mentioned background instance of IIS 7 and MS Virtual Server. Total commit charge is 1.04 GB (1/4 of the total possible) with only about 400MB of actual physical memory in use. Vista’s memory utilization is more efficient than what is implied by some posters"

I'm not too sure about performance gain between 1GB to 1.5GB but at present I've Dell Inspiron 8600 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD and when I check without any other process running (normal windows with IIS installed, Windows Live, Yahoo messanger, iTunes & Audible downloader) without launching any programs still it shows 400MB of used memory and only 600M remaining. I've installed beta version of vista on my Dell 8600 along with Office beta 2007 and it was also running around 400MB. So for doing photoshop related work along with some video editing I'll go for 1GB module instead of 512MB module. That way lateron if I need to upgrade I can pop out original 512 and buy one more 1GB module and make my laptop memory 2GB. If you buy 512MB module now you are stuck in terms of your memory expansion later. This is just my upgrade plan but based on your requirement you may be okay with 512MB.
Vista is a resource hog

I m planning to format the hard drive to reinstall Windows XP. Would I be able to reinstall the Toshiba Bluetooth and wireless utilities,
and original drivers from the recovery disk?

The Toshiba CSR discouraged me from doing a clean install, and instead asked me to remove unwanted programs using the control panel.
Personally I would prefer a clean install..

Any help is appreciated... THanks!

amateurPro2 said: [Q]I m planning to format the hard drive to reinstall Windows XP. Would I be able to reinstall the Toshiba Bluetooth and wireless utilities,

The Toshiba CSR discouraged me from doing a clean install, and instead asked me to remove unwanted programs using the control panel.

i think i agreed with the CSR. Why do you want to do a clean install? They did the clean install from the factory and they installed some programs in it... so if i were you i'll just uninstall unwanted programs.

i mean it's not really worth it to spend 2-4 hrs installing windows (illegal version) and you have to find those drives and you might not find them all....

If you think you can use Windows XP home edition i suggest you should just uninstall unwanted programs.... But if you must use Windows XP pro features then do the clean install and spend 2-4 hrs of installation.

i'll just stay with the windows XP home edition... which is the only legal copy windows that i own.

amateurPro2 said: [Q]I m planning to format the hard drive to reinstall Windows XP. Would I be able to reinstall the Toshiba Bluetooth and wireless utilities,

i have to agree with shade45 on this.
if you need to ask someone to help you installing Pro, then you probably don't need the features Pro has to offer.

WXP Home works just fine.

but if you have to have PRO, try Toshiba websites for drivers. i doubt the recovery disc will be accessible just for drivers.

*EDIT

i just looked up their site.
this is the only driver posted for this laptop:
Sound Realtek Audio Driver for Windows XP/2000 (v5.10.0.5253; 07-10-2006; 23.71M).

so either you'll have to extract driver info from the recovery disk or hope WXP Pro will detect everything.

anyone know how hard it would be to install a bluetooth internal card in this?

sssave said: [Q]don't know if this one will work with it or not -
Transcend 1GB PC5300 667Ghz Memory Chip

The one that you linked has CAS Latency 5. Does that matter ? Whereas most of DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) RAM on Newegg are CAS Latency 4.

Hello!!!

Never mind. Thank you. Best wishes, verycheapo.

You can play DVDs without booting up by pressing the key labelled with the film and music note on the left console. Do this when the computer is off.

The Express Media gui should then load up and allow you to control the interface through the keyboard. To exit, just press the power button.

desonide said: [Q]You can play DVDs without booting up by pressing the key labelled with the film and music note on the left console. Do this when the computer is off.

The Express Media gui should then load up and allow you to control the interface through the keyboard. To exit, just press the power button.

That is cool feature. It allows you to play without starting computer wi-fi and that way saving battery. Great find.

Here is bluetooth card that might work with Toshiba A105. This allows addition of one more thing to laptop for connecting to cellphone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833203014

Skipping 143 Messages...
jkj said: [Q]So I upgraded the lappy to Vista today. I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't been able to find the mouse driver that allows dragging of the right side of the touch to navigate up and down in windows. If someone has that pm me. I also noticed that when you try to install 945GM bus 1 it freezes the system. It is listed as an optional update. I did a search and found that this is a common issue.

Which version of Vista did yo upgrade to? What sort of speed/graphics issues have you seen? How much memory are you running?

Thanks.

M

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014