Laminate flooring - IKEA vs COSTCO

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
How does IKEA's flooring compare to teh costco one? anyone has experience with the two?

IKEA: Text

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

IKEA has many different grade of laminate while costco has only one (but 3 different colors). I also notice the one at Costco has changed the pattern this year. I got the maple one at Costco last year and I love it. The new one looks even nicer but I am not sure if the quality is still the same. The cheapest one at IKEA looks really fake. The medium grade at IKEA is about the same cost as in Costco with the coupon deal (~$1.20/sqft). If I remember it correctly,the one at Costco (Harmony) is manufactured by QuickStep.

I just spent 2 months comparing laminate floors. I purchased some of the costco stuff and started putting it down, but ended up removing it because it looked cheap (not necessarily the construction but the pattern and color). You can buy through iFloor or go to a builder supply place and get close to wholesale and get top notch, great looking laminate for about $2.50-3.00, with lots of colors and styles to choose from. I personally decided it was worth the extra money to get something I would really be happy with, since you'll be looking at it everyday. Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it. I would recommend Wilsonart Estate, Columbia Classic Clic, or Pergo Select (avoid the HD and Lowes Pergo, it is inferior and not even made by Pergo). I don't know what Ikea sells.

Some on the net say IKEA Tundra flooring is made by Pergo. Don't know it's true or now. I put down Costco oak in my living room last year. I like it so far. But it's more expensive now without $5 coupon.

If you are in FL, PM me. My brother can give you a great wholesale rate & quote for install.

Try lumber Liquidators

we tried some of the Laminate flooring from costco and didn't like the look. We ended going with 3/4" solid wood it will last 50+ years. And it is the real thing

chuzzlewit said: [Q] Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it.

I just get generic ones from Lowes. Alternatively, you may buy the QuickStep one with matching color.

BillCSHo said: [Q]chuzzlewit said: [Q] Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it.

I just get generic ones from Lowes. Alternatively, you may buy the QuickStep one with matching color.

Or you can get the MDF trim and paint it like we did.
PHOTO

wwdme said: [Q]BillCSHo said: [Q]chuzzlewit said: [Q] Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it.

Or you can get the MDF trim and paint it like we did.
PHOTO

I thought he means transition border to other surface. My baseboard is also white, so I got primed toe trim for the edge as well. But for the transition to carpet, tiles, or vinyl, white isn't right.

chuzzlewit said: [Q]I just spent 2 months comparing laminate floors. I purchased some of the costco stuff and started putting it down, but ended up removing it because it looked cheap (not necessarily the construction but the pattern and color). You can buy through iFloor or go to a builder supply place and get close to wholesale and get top notch, great looking laminate for about $2.50-3.00, with lots of colors and styles to choose from. I personally decided it was worth the extra money to get something I would really be happy with, since you'll be looking at it everyday. Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it. I would recommend Wilsonart Estate, Columbia Classic Clic, or Pergo Select (avoid the HD and Lowes Pergo, it is inferior and not even made by Pergo). I don't know what Ikea sells.

I second ifloors. We got our laminate from them and were very happy with the quality. Ended up going with the top grade pergo for the same price we would have paid for midgrade locally.

shopliftinginva said: [Q]chuzzlewit said: [Q]I just spent 2 months comparing laminate floors. I purchased some of the costco stuff and started putting it down, but ended up removing it because it looked cheap (not necessarily the construction but the pattern and color). You can buy through iFloor or go to a builder supply place and get close to wholesale and get top notch, great looking laminate for about $2.50-3.00, with lots of colors and styles to choose from. I personally decided it was worth the extra money to get something I would really be happy with, since you'll be looking at it everyday. Another tremendous hassle with the Costco stuff is they don't sell the matching trim pieces for your borders, this is a big headache if you haven't thought about it. I would recommend Wilsonart Estate, Columbia Classic Clic, or Pergo Select (avoid the HD and Lowes Pergo, it is inferior and not even made by Pergo). I don't know what Ikea sells.

I second ifloors. We got our laminate from them and were very happy with the quality. Ended up going with the top grade pergo for the same price we would have paid for midgrade locally.

Not trying to highjack, but since this thread matches closely with what I am looking for, might as well ask the experts. We are planning to install Hw floors in the enterance foyer, living and dining areas (apprx 420sqft). We have looked at L0WE's and HoomDepot's HW and laminate collections. What, if any are the advantages of solid wood over laminates, every sales guy at these stores has a different opinion. And for either one, is ifloors a better option than homde/low?

TheChosenOne, Check out this site for tons of info on hardwood flooring installations.

I just did a DIY install of a solid bamboo floor (Wellmade Golden Arowanda (sp?) from Costco. This site was the key to my successful install. Lots of good advice from professional hardwood installers.

I was considering Laminate, but went with the real thing.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/phpbb2/index.php

Link

im not sure i understand what is better about this laminate over regular waxed wood?

drubixcube said: [Q]TheChosenOne, Check out this site for tons of info on hardwood flooring installations.

I just did a DIY install of a solid bamboo floor (Wellmade Golden Arowanda (sp?) from Costco. This site was the key to my successful install. Lots of good advice from professional hardwood installers.

I was considering Laminate, but went with the real thing.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/phpbb2/index.php

Link

Link is great ! thanks rubix..the more you know ..How long have you had the bamboo, and did you fabricate the borders/trim?
Bamboo (at Costco) is an option but negatives include the glue thats makes it a pain to remove later.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014