• 1 234518
  • Page
  • Text Only
rated:
I was at Costco today and overheard a conversation between a customer and a Costco guy about TV purchase. The customer asked how much time he has to return the TV if he doesn't like it. The Costco guy replied 1 month, and he said it is a new policy for TV only which just changed last month, to stop people from buying the TV and then return it later.

Well, many of us have warned again and again, those who abuse the nice Costco return policy will give them no choice but to change the policy. This change is more dramatic than the computer return because it is only one months vs 6 months. Those who have been using Costco's return policy as long term price guarantee, nice job!

[Edit] Somehow I believe either the employee is BS'ing the customer, or he misunderstood his manager and thought the policy has changed (but hasn't). Or maybe his manager misunderstood higher-up.

I doubt he was purposely BS'ing the customer, as the customer can easily verify with the cashier, member service, or the corporate.

[Edit 2/27/07]
The employee of the original story might have jumped the gun when it wasn't official. However, now it is confirmed. Costco is changing return policy on consumer electronics to 90-days. In return, they double the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years.

Since Costco only accept AMEX, and most (if not all) AMEX card already doubles the warranty, I wonder if it means 3-year warranty now, or is it still 2 years.

By the way, all those who gave red, please change it to green.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Bah doesn't matter point is they are accepting returns before pre-policy, thats awesome.

bertybert (Jun. 19, 2007 @ 1:17p) |

You know what's funny? Last week a dude brought in about 10 60 inchers (I think Philips). He bought before the policy ... (more)

forbin4040 (Jun. 20, 2007 @ 6:20p) |

I took an LCD monitor back today to my local Costco that I had bought from them online 7 months ago. The DVI port had go... (more)

CoastalEddy (Jul. 03, 2007 @ 11:38p) |

YES (thx vandit9)

There is no need to debate this. RTFW Read the Freaking Website

Answer: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

The golden goose so many abused has been killed.

Return policy from Costco.com as of 2-26 12:30am PST (by rikkus256):

Returns or Exchanges
Costco.com offers convenient returns at any one of our Costco warehouses worldwide. To expedite the return process, please have your order confirmation email with you.

Simply return your purchase at any one of our Costco warehouses worldwide for a refund (including shipping and handling). If you are unable to return your order at one of our warehouses, please email customerservice@costco.com or call our customer service center at 1-800-955-2292 for assistance. To expedite the processing of your return, please reference your order number.

We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Oh well...I don't see the change reflected on Costco.com at all, so I'm just going to assume that you overheard a prior Best Buy manager who hasn't yet realized that most retail outlets do not want their managers making up new policies as they see fit.

They still give a whole month! At least the people who just buy a big screen TV for Superbowl weekend and then return it will still be able to go on with business as usual.

FINALLY...this is good since so MANY people take advantage of Costco's liberal return policy. Where else takes a TV back after a month even when nothing is wrong with it. Good for Costco...

mom2boys said: FINALLY...this is good since so MANY people take advantage of Costco's liberal return policy. Where else takes a TV back after a month even when nothing is wrong with it. Good for Costco...

I agree. I am glad that CostCo is stepping up the enforcement against people that abuse their return policy. In their last company report they even said they had less than expected profits because of people returning high-end televisions after 3-4 months of use.

mom2boys said: FINALLY...this is good since so MANY people take advantage of Costco's liberal return policy. Where else takes a TV back after a month even when nothing is wrong with it. Good for Costco...

Doesn't Sam's Club (i.e. the other big national membership club store)?

Its an awful policy change (for people who aren't abusing it, who seem to be the only people posting here), whether or not its true. How does this step up enforcement against abusers? All it does it pull a useful benefit from both abusers and non-abusers.

I hope they try to engage their brains in methods to prevent getting screwed on the price matches, instead of simply pulling the plug for everyone.

arkleseizure said: Oh well...I don't see the change reflected on Costco.com at all, so I'm just going to assume that you overheard a prior Best Buy manager who hasn't yet realized that most retail outlets do not want their managers making up new policies as they see fit.I agree, the Costco employee in question was probably BSing the customer. There's no evidence this is a new policy.

arkleseizure said: mom2boys said: FINALLY...this is good since so MANY people take advantage of Costco's liberal return policy. Where else takes a TV back after a month even when nothing is wrong with it. Good for Costco...

Doesn't Sam's Club (i.e. the other big national membership club store)?

Its an awful policy change (for people who aren't abusing it, who seem to be the only people posting here), whether or not its true. How does this step up enforcement against abusers? All it does it pull a useful benefit from both abusers and non-abusers.

I hope they try to engage their brains in methods to prevent getting screwed on the price matches, instead of simply pulling the plug for everyone.

how do you not abuse the policy by taking back a TV after a month?

ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

Agreed. Sucks to those that don't abuse, but there are soooo many that did abuse. I'm happy they are changing it.

bevo2k1 said: ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

lol, man you're stupid. They'll just cancel you membership because of abuse.

If Costco changes their return policy, maybe they should stop carrying Sceptre TV's which have given me nothing but trouble.

LiquidSteel said: If Costco changes their return policy, maybe they should stop carrying Sceptre TV's which have given me nothing but trouble.
Or maybe you should quit buying POS TVs and buy a quality brand instead.

bballcards said: LiquidSteel said: If Costco changes their return policy, maybe they should stop carrying Sceptre TV's which have given me nothing but trouble.

Touche
Thanks BBCards. Well said

just gotta buy a TV with a year warranty would suck if the TV broke down on the 50 day and you paid $3000 on it. There should be no way in hell that Costco should take back a TV more than 1 year unless they sell a warranty package for $300 for 2-3 years. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra fee if I have the assurance that my tv will be operating for that long.

bballcards said: LiquidSteel said: If Costco changes their return policy, maybe they should stop carrying Sceptre TV's which have given me nothing but trouble.

Isn't that the whole point of Costco? I can buy a no-name brand TV, without fear of it breaking, because I can return it later down the road. Of course, I will no longer take risks on these products anymore.

Costco has some of the most interesting branded items/electronics out there.

bevo2k1 said: ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

You. Are. Sick.

Get some decency.

tuxmaskone said: bevo2k1 said: ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

You. Are. Sick.

Get some decency.
Come on people, that was one of the most obvious trolls I've ever seen. Just ignore it.

tuxmaskone said: bevo2k1 said: ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

You. Are. Sick.

Get some decency.

Executive. Member. 4+ years.

$100 Yearly Membership.

bevo2k1 said: tuxmaskone said: bevo2k1 said: ok so this just means my house will have a new tv monthly. before it was upgraded yearly. thanks costco

You. Are. Sick.

Get some decency.

Executive. Member. 4+ years.

$100 Yearly Membership.

What's your point? Executive since March, 1990 and I've never abused their return policy. Some items I have now in the closet not even opened, lost receipts but still don't want to return them: feel guilty if do that. Just imagine YOUR CUSTOMERS do that to you, how do you feel?

Abused their return policy or USED their return policy...? It's all about perspective. Lots of useless opinions fly around on this subject.

all they got to do is track it in their systems. limit lik 3 major returns every 5 yrs.

Costco.com Return policy is as follows, and I quote:

Returns or Exchanges
Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer two convenient return methods. Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.

1. You can return the item to the nearest Costco Wholesale location. To find a location,
please click here.

2. If you are unable to return your order to one of our warehouses, please e-mail us at
customer service. Please include your name, order confirmation number, phone number, and
reason for return. You will be contacted regarding your return within 5 to 7 business days.

Please note, as of November 4th, 2002 , the return policy for all desktop and notebook computers are six months from the date of purchase. Six months after purchase, all computer services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer’s warranty.

nuf said.

Well if they did, good for Costco. I don't want to pay for people abusing that return policy any more. Six months is still too long for laptops though.

damatrixz said: all they got to do is track it in their systems. limit lik 3 major returns every 5 yrs.A better policy would be to limit returns based on dollar value using an intelligent algorithm to ensure people can still return high-value items if they haven't abused the return policy. Maybe by limiting the number of returns per year over a certain threshold.

I return items to Costco every now and then, nothing too expensive though...for example, I bought some tomatoes that went bad within 2 days, so I brought it back to the store and got a refund.

jayK said: I return items to Costco every now and then, nothing too expensive though...for example, I bought some tomatoes that went bad within 2 days, so I brought it back to the store and got a refund.

Enjoy it while you can. Soon, a bunch of people on this board will go back to Costco, pick the tomatoes out of their teeth and return them, and then come back here to claim that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing.

rhk0327 said: Well if they did, good for Costco. I don't want to pay for people abusing that return policy any more. Six months is still too long for laptops though.

you pay? wow. how much do you have to pay for every single return?

I just returned my 50" big screen TV that I purchased from Costco in '98 for $4000 and picked up a new plasma. Ignore the OP, this deal is still hot!

(just kidding)

maestroX2 said: rhk0327 said: Well if they did, good for Costco. I don't want to pay for people abusing that return policy any more. Six months is still too long for laptops though.

you pay? wow. how much do you have to pay for every single return?

costco loses money when they have to pay you full price for an old, used item you return to them. When Costco loses money, they must recover it elsewhere, i.e. raising prices. so if you buy anything at costco, you pay for all of those people who abuse the return policy.

Because people like this jerk.

Actually that's not really a new policy. Just most store were not really implementing that policy or put up the new sign until recently when they realized that large electronics items are really hurting the revenue. The policy states that it is Helpful that you return your item in the complete packaging: 1. with a 30 days period. 2. complete packaging 3. with a receipt; but it still guarantees your complete satisfaction.

Most people could still return their TV, if it is defective. If you say that you just want a larger TV or wants an upgrade they will DENY you. As this pertain to non-employee members, employees at our local costco still abuse the policy. They have brought back DVD players and electronics items from 3 or 4 years ago, open video game or dvd, and TV that they purchased on mark down from 5 years ago. So, I think that it is good to implement a new policy, but it should be a company-wide change and not just having a focus on the non-employee members.

I know a Manager of "Majors" which is the department that sells TV's at Costco. He said up to this point, there are only rumors and until it is officially posted in the store, anything you buy up to that point is unaffected.

Papa

tuxmaskone said: costco loses money when they have to pay you full price for an old, used item you return to them. When Costco loses money, they must recover it elsewhere, i.e. raising prices. so if you buy anything at costco, you pay for all of those people who abuse the return policy.IIRC the manufacturer usually eats the cost for returns, depending on their contract with Costco.

Costco guy was probably lying. My brother bought a 62" Sony DLP and a month later, the price dropped $500. He talked to a Costco guy about adjusting the price, but he claimed it was against store policy and wouldn't do it.

Well, my brother repacked the TV to return it.... the same Costco guy who claimed he couldn't do it suddenly changed his tune and said he would do it afterall. He admitted to telling this BS to customers to discourage returns.

Not really sure why the Costco employee told this guy the return policy has changed now, it hasn't.

Anyone that is buying a TV now would be grandfathered into any return policy change anyways, so no need to worry.
I can't confirm what the impending change will be, but next month there will be one. At this time no one knows what it will be on, or the time limit, but we all assume it will be on TV's.

Costco will also be rolling out a call center for all electronic's to give members technical assistance or help contact them manufacture for warranty service. This will be happening sometime next year.

jayK said: tuxmaskone said: costco loses money when they have to pay you full price for an old, used item you return to them. When Costco loses money, they must recover it elsewhere, i.e. raising prices. so if you buy anything at costco, you pay for all of those people who abuse the return policy.IIRC the manufacturer usually eats the cost for returns, depending on their contract with Costco.

there is no way manufacturers eat the cost of 3 year old TV's returned. no way costco drives enough business to make it worthwhile for them to do it

teplitsa said: there is no way manufacturers eat the cost of 3 year old TV's returned. no way costco drives enough business to make it worthwhile for them to do itI don't remember where I read this, but when a manufacturer sells to Costco, they must agree to give Costco a full refund for any and all returns.

Most people are basically honest, so the number of returns will be a microscopic percentage of total sales.

This stat is a little out of date, but it shows that Costco sells almost twice as much per store as Wal*mart:
http://www.bizstats.com/storesales.htm

risk management

think about it guys, corporate executives are very smart. How does costco maintain its return policy? First, you have to pay either $40 a year or $100 a year to be a member=large amount of revenue. Second, costco has a great business model, treats their customers well, and offers good products=more revenue, loyal customers. Third, costco buys insurance on the products it sells. Insurance companies and banks are some of the most wealthy companies in the world for a reason, it is a proven successful business model. Costco insures what it sells, ie. when you buy something and return it, the rate of return risk is already accouted for. Most people spend more money at costco then they ever return in merchandise. Costco is a profitable company with its current model, yes there are people out do questionable returns, but costco still thrives. If it ever see's a large problem, like it did with laptops, they will revise their return policy. Use the policy while it is available, they mean just what they say, they want you to be completely satisfied, if you aren't, you can bring it back, anytime. Cool company, thats why I spend over 10K a year there.

jayK said: teplitsa said: there is no way manufacturers eat the cost of 3 year old TV's returned. no way costco drives enough business to make it worthwhile for them to do itI don't remember where I read this, but when a manufacturer sells to Costco, they must agree to give Costco a full refund for any and all returns.

Most people are basically honest, so the number of returns will be a microscopic percentage of total sales.

This stat is a little out of date, but it shows that Costco sells almost twice as much per store as Wal*mart:
http://www.bizstats.com/storesales.htm

this is total sales including food and other junk they sell

do you really think they sell more electronics than Best Buy? Maybe for the off brand manufacturers but not for the name brand ones.

WSJ had an article about brand x TV's a few years ago when they first started coming out. they are sold on razor thin margins. very unlikely a company will agree to take them back after the warranty period is up.

Skipping 668 Messages...
I took an LCD monitor back today to my local Costco that I had bought from them online 7 months ago. The DVI port had gone out and Costco refunded me my money in cash on the spot, no questions asked. This included my tax and shipping, too.

UPSGuy said: Hmm, sounds like a good reason to skip Costco for my Roomba & LCD purchases. Their prices weren't that great, but it was good to know that should your purchase go belly up, they'd back you. With that gone, it isn't worth the hassle to buy from them....

BTW, this pinhead "UPSGuy" is a real class act. He will go back to all of your posts anywhere on Fatwallet and give you negative ratings if you disagree with him. He also hates Costco. Fine with me - one less person in line when I'm making my purchases there.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.