Kirkland (Costco) auto batteries any good?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Looking to replace my 5 year old car's battery before it goes dead. It has an 84 month Toyota battery, and I have no reason to believe it won't last that long but can't afford to have the battery go dead when the temp reaches 0.

Thinking of just getting one at Costco. They have a three year free replacement etc.

Are these any good?

I've found that Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.



Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
niicceem said: <blockquote><hr>OP, CR magazine did a rating of car batteries in their October issue. Kirkland wasn't the... (more)

larrymoencurly (Dec. 15, 2006 @ 6:27a) |

I have bought several car batteries from Costco. The batteries are nothing special, but the Costco warranty is GREAT. ... (more)

kpc88 (Jan. 29, 2007 @ 11:20a) |

I had one Costco battery lasted 3 years in relative warm temperature of Cali. By contrast, the OEM battery in my Honda ... (more)

buckin (Jan. 29, 2007 @ 12:00p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought a kirkland for my jeep, works great and the price was great compared to other places. Also with Costco warranty really nothing to lose.

I like Kirkland as well. Even though its not that big of a deal in california, I believe the cold cranking amps are fairly good on the Kirkland's, and I had a couple mechanics say "just get one at Costco"

I've had no problem with mine, and the price was right. Then again, I haven't had problems with the one I bought from WalMart, either. But as far as the best bang for the buck (and confidence that it could be easily returned if it was a dud battery), Costco was the place.

I think the 3-year warranty is pro-rated with Costco, though.

Make sure to return your core to the tire department for your $5 back. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>

I did some research recently on auto batteries and found out that there were only a few "real" manufactures who actually build the auto cells. One of the biggest companies was Johnson Controls. They make batteries sold at Sam's Club, WalMart, Interstate Batteries, Sears Die Hard, ...to name a few. I ended up going to WalMart since Costco didn't carry my group size. They are usually date coded so make sure you pick a store that turns their battery stock often. I had to pay a core charge to WalMart as my state regulates the fee, but it was refunded when I took the old one back. The Johnson built ones are nice as they are technically maintenance free, but you can remove the caps and fill it will distill water when it runs low.

my infant is feeding on the Kirkland baby formula --- so I guess you can figure out how I feel about Kirkland products

germanpope said: [Q]my infant is feeding on the Kirkland baby formula --- so I guess you can figure out how I feel about Kirkland products <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0> <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0> <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>

I live in a cold climate (as low as 20 below zero) and Kirkland batteries have been better for me than any others I have used.
Why not test your battery if it is not giving you any problems rather than simply replacing it? Just because it is an 84 month battery does not mean it cannot last significantly longer than that and you are only at 60 months now...

or get a gel battery (Optima for example) it will last 15 years I sheet you not

many in the car business buy one and take it out when the vehicle dies and puts it into another vehicle

I am reffering to the Optima yellow btw, the Optima Red is not as long life

they sell Optimas at Costco so something to think about

truemagellen said: [Q]or get a gel battery (Optima for example) it will last 15 years I sheet you not

many in the car business buy one and take it out when the vehicle dies and puts it into another vehicle

I am reffering to the Optima yellow btw, the Optima Red is not as long life

they sell Optimas at Costco so something to think aboutI have never seen Optima's at CostCo ... do you always see them?

The factory turns out reasonable stuff. No problems going with a costco auto battery.

Something people should also know...the 'trickle' chargers they sell just about everywhere will KILL your battery...mostly by shortening its livespan by overheating

the only charger you should use is a battery tender, this gives a very low amp charge to the battery...trickle chargers usually are outputing 4 times the amps of a Tender and in doing so cause low grade cycling which reduces the lifespan by as I said before overheating.

Battery Tender is a great product and can be used all the time.

ps. trickles can be used if you can charge almost to the top then shut if off, problem is that is impossible to determine so everyone gets screwed by it

/work in automotive/electronics industry

OP, CR magazine did a rating of car batteries in their October issue. Kirkland wasn't their best-buy or quick pick in any of the categories, sort of middle or towards the end of the pack. I recall NAPA and Everstart were always near the top of the rating. I needed a battery and went with Duralast, it was rated 'best buy' in it's size.

Spac3d said: [Q]truemagellen said: [Q]or get a gel battery (Optima for example) it will last 15 years I sheet you not

many in the car business buy one and take it out when the vehicle dies and puts it into another vehicle

I am reffering to the Optima yellow btw, the Optima Red is not as long life

they sell Optimas at Costco so something to think aboutI have never seen Optima's at CostCo ... do you always see them?

My local Costco sells Optima - though not the size I use. And yeah, they are very long lasting.

blunty said: [Q]I did some research recently on auto batteries and found out that there were only a few "real" manufactures who actually build the auto cells. One of the biggest companies was Johnson Controls. They make batteries sold at Sam's Club, WalMart, Interstate Batteries, Sears Die Hard, ...to name a few. I ended up going to WalMart since Costco didn't carry my group size. They are usually date coded so make sure you pick a store that turns their battery stock often. I had to pay a core charge to WalMart as my state regulates the fee, but it was refunded when I took the old one back. The Johnson built ones are nice as they are technically maintenance free, but you can remove the caps and fill it will distill water when it runs low.

I own a lexus sedan. After 6 years, its battery was dead last year. I towed the car to our local Lexus dealership. I think I paid about $120.00 (the amount is approximate). Later I found that the battery was MADE IN MEXICO. The tape around battery said that it was Lexus certified. I really disappointed to get this Mexico battery for Lexus. It seems that car battery is not big deal whether it is for cheap or expensive cars. Sarutaro

sarutaro said: [Q]I own a lexus sedan. After 6 years, its battery was dead last year. I towed the car to our local Lexus dealership. I think I paid about $120.00 (the amount is approximate). Later I found that the battery was MADE IN MEXICO. The tape around battery said that it was Lexus certified. I really disappointed to get this Mexico battery for Lexus. It seems that car battery is not big deal whether it is for cheap or expensive cars. Sarutaro

I have a Japan-made Panasonic battery for my Toyota. What's the big deal anyway? Your battery lasted 6 years which is pretty darn good.

sarutaro said: [Q]I own a lexus sedan. After 6 years, its battery was dead last year. I towed the car to our local Lexus dealership. I think I paid about $120.00 (the amount is approximate). Later I found that the battery was MADE IN MEXICO. The tape around battery said that it was Lexus certified. I really disappointed to get this Mexico battery for Lexus. It seems that car battery is not big deal whether it is for cheap or expensive cars. Sarutaro

I hate to break it to you but the batteries Lexus puts in their 'luxury' vehicles can be had at Retail prices for $35!

Lexus has been selling overpriced Re-badged Toyotas for about 8 years now. In fact many of the Toyotas with minor Engine Management modifications (ie plug in car to computer, click 'reflash') will outperform their Lexus counterparts. Why? Because the Toyota models are lighter using less sound proofing, less electronic components, and lighter weight leathers...so they out perform because of the weight to power ratio.

/the more you know <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>

ACDelco Professional.

truemagellen said: [Q]Something people should also know...the 'trickle' chargers they sell just about everywhere will KILL your battery...mostly by shortening its livespan by overheating

the only charger you should use is a battery tender, this gives a very low amp charge to the battery...trickle chargers usually are outputing 4 times the amps of a Tender and in doing so cause low grade cycling which reduces the lifespan by as I said before overheating.

Battery Tender is a great product and can be used all the time.

ps. trickles can be used if you can charge almost to the top then shut if off, problem is that is impossible to determine so everyone gets screwed by it

/work in automotive/electronics industryHow low should the current be? I've read that 100mA is OK for very long periods and that 250mA can be applied for several days in a row without causing harm.


niicceem said: [Q]OP, CR magazine did a rating of car batteries in their October issue. Kirkland wasn't their best-buy or quick pick in any of the categories, sort of middle or towards the end of the pack. I recall NAPA and Everstart were always near the top of the rating. I needed a battery and went with Duralast, it was rated 'best buy' in it's size.You may want to check their annual evaluations for other years because their ratings for the brands seem to change, often drastically, year to year. For example, Wal-Mart Everstart and Maxx batteries used to rate worse than average while Sears Diehards used to be near the top. But in the recent review, Diehard and Maxx switched positions. All of these brands were made by Johnson Controls.

I have bought several car batteries from Costco. The batteries are nothing special, but the Costco warranty is GREAT. It is a 3-year NON-PRORATED warranty. Costco auto doesn't test batteries. So if your battery is low on power, take it back to Costco within the 3-year period and they will hand you back the FULL purchase price, including tax, in cash. Then just go buy another one.

I had one Costco battery lasted 3 years in relative warm temperature of Cali. By contrast, the OEM battery in my Honda and Toyota have lasted 7+ years. So Costco battery is not as good as some of the OEM ones. But it's half of the price of what the dealers charges for OEM batteries.

When you return the battery to Costco within 36 month, they do refund you the full price, minus the disposal fee. (if you area charges this fee). And you have to pay disposal fee again on the new replacement. So it's wasn't totally free, but still a very good deal.




Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014