Where to sign up for time share presentations?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm going to Hawaii and someone mentioned attending a timeshare thing for free tickets to certain attractions. Where do I sign up for these timeshares? I've never attended one, but am pretty good at saying no.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

WillyWah said: [Q]I'm going to Hawaii and someone mentioned attending a timeshare thing for free tickets to certain attractions. Where do I sign up for these timeshares? I've never attended one, but am pretty good at saying no.

Famous last words...

which island are you going to? in maui and oahu they have "discount ticket booths" in the popular tourist sites. these kiosks are actually time share affiliated. they offer you free or discounted deals for luau's, shows, activities, etc. my friends and i have attended some to get discounts for snokeling at molokini (in maui), and for discounts to a luau (in maui also.) i don't remember if kauai has the kiosks, and i haven't been to the big island yet.

the discounts are worth about $100 or possibly $150. if a luau costs $75 a person they might offer you 2 free luau tickets for attending the timeshare presentation. you can bargain with some of the guys. once in oahu they offered me $100 cash. i asked the guy to make me a better offer and he offered me $100 cash and a case of macadamia nuts.

i think you can also walk into the timeshare resort/condo and sign up for the tour to get similar offers. the offers are not as nice as the targeted offers they send out to people. the targeted offers usually give you 5 nights in a resort hotel, a rental car for the week, and $100 gift voucher for the resort - all for $599 or $699 (no airfare included) for the entire family. i've participated in these targeted offers for the maui Marriott, the maui Sheraton, and the maui grand wailea. i passed up the hilton offer for the big island but i'm hoping they offer it to me again. we couldn't go because we had already booked a maui vacation (yes, it was a $599 package deal) that year.

the timeshare presentations take about 60-90 minutes and they are pretty low pressure now. they don't practice the hard sell like they did 10+ years ago. now they use the "wow" factor by showing you their resort and fancy rooms and hope you sign up. it's pretty painless now to sit thru the presentation but you give up 60-90 minutes of your vacation time to save $100-$150.

btw, the resort timeshares for 1-week run from about $20k+ (one br, one ba, no view) to $50k+ (two br, two ba, w/ocean view) plus annual maintenance fees. why people buy them is beyond me.

WillyWah said: [Q]I'm going to Hawaii and someone mentioned attending a timeshare thing for free tickets to certain attractions. Where do I sign up for these timeshares? I've never attended one, but am pretty good at saying no.

you might check on the the Beach Club at Ko'olina (Marriott) on Oahu
they might send like a $100 dining/entertainment credit your way for participating in their presentation --- you always got weigh the value of your vacation time --- if you enjoy spending a few hours constantly thinking what a rip-off this place is, maybe its for you --- I might want to clear myself of such thinking during my vacation and just enjoy the palm trees

Check in the Travel forum and its archives, covered there many times

bozo007 said: [Q]Check in the Travel forum and its archives, covered there many timesSometimes I want to download this whole site into an eBook and put a cover on it saying, "Don't Panic."

I found this Site very helpful.You can also pick individual Island forums.Sometimes locals also frequent them.Ask questions about anything Hawaii related there.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014