TJ Maxx Shopping guide. Top 10 tips

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I work at TJ maxx as a service desk coordinator and i want to give people a few tips on how to squeeze a few extra dollars savings.

1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!

2. look at the upper right of a TJ maxx price ticket. There is a 2 digit number. This number is the month the item came into the store and this number goes up to 24. The current month is 14. If an item is more than 2 month old but doesn't have a yellow or red sticker then kindly ask an associate to check for a markdown for you. Most likely the item was missed and you could save a lot of money. Also, if its more than 4 months before with one red sticker the associate can ask the manager to check the computer in the office for additional markdown but this is less likely to happen' its YMMV.

3. If an Item has damage and no markdown or one. you could get an additional markdown, just ask.

4. If an item has no price, check around on it for a price code. Usually its in a black marker saying something like 004. This code means 3.99. All price checks are done manually and commonly done wrong so this number could save you from a wrong price.

5. If you see an item you want. sometimes it would be best if you wait a bit and come back when its marked down. Markdowns are 33%, which is a good savings.

6. Yellow stickers are final clearance, so don't expect more markdowns but its FALSE that we throw all yellow sticker items away. Sometimes they are thrown out if they dont look sellable but they can be marked down more later.

7. As for the hacking I first heard about it in mid. January. I don't know much about it but I do know that addresses aren't asked for on returns anymore. All information is now written in manually. TJ Maxx attracts a lot of criminals, ive dealt with a lot of shady people.

8. TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Homegoods AJ Wright and 2 more (can't remember names) are the same company. The gift cards are for the most part the murchandise are not interchangable.

9. Keep the receipts! I can't stress this enough. Even with receipt you will get a hard time if the item is expensive or broken, the wrong ticket, etc. So check all merchandise before you leave for damage, missing parts, cuts and stains. You may not be able to return it. Also don't use the item and return it. We get a lot of that.

10. The associates for the most part are friendly but lazy. Be nice and dont push them and generally you can get away with a lot.

P.S. The clearance sale ends saturday the 8th. There are no price adjustments so don't ask.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
IQ70 said: <blockquote><hr>Brian2554 said: <blockquote><hr>1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do... (more)

FrugalFreaky (Feb. 10, 2007 @ 1:03a) |

wow u r really an expert!!

fatwalletuab (Feb. 10, 2007 @ 3:09a) |

Thanks, OP. Gave you green.<br><br>Quick question: What kind of discount do you give when we point out that an item is... (more)

Coolarrow (Feb. 11, 2007 @ 12:45a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good post!

What do you mean by "Saturday the 8th"?

Thanks!

there is a clearance sale going on. 25 percent off all clearance items. It is 3 days long and ends saturday. In general there are no sales at TJ Maxx. This is the only type of sale that happens and it only happens like 3 times a year.

any sales around this week?

I would guess marshalls also have the sale?

Brian2554 said: [Q]there is a clearance sale going on. 25 percent off all clearance items. It is 3 days long and ends saturday. In general there are no sales at TJ Maxx. This is the only type of sale that happens and it only happens like 3 times a year.

ZogJones said: [Q]Good post!

What do you mean by "Saturday the 8th"?

Thanks!

Maybe he means Saturday the 10th

Welcome to FW with a very informative post. Thanks.

Brian2554 said: [Q]1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!


Before you threaten me moron, follow the rules of the board and you wont get kicked on your ass.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif" border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>
Where the fark is your hot deal? Huh?<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif" border=0>

IQ70 said: [Q]Brian2554 said: [Q]1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!


Before you threaten me moron, follow the rules of the board and you wont get kicked on your ass.
Where the fark is your hot deal? Huh?

hey hey, lets not get touchy. but yeah, this isnt a hot deal. this should have been moved to deal discussion

Looking for the hot deal...post needs to be in deal discussion.

Why do people have to be so mean? The man made a mistake by posting here. I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

IQ70 said: [Q]Brian2554 said: [Q]1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!


Before you threaten me moron, follow the rules of the board and you wont get kicked on your ass.
Where the fark is your hot deal? Huh?

I don't know why you're offended by what he's saying. It's the truth. Would you go out of your way for someone if they were rude and obnoxious?


omniviper said: [Q]IQ70 said: [Q]Brian2554 said: [Q]1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!


Before you threaten me moron, follow the rules of the board and you wont get kicked on your ass.
Where the fark is your hot deal? Huh?

hey hey, lets not get touchy. but yeah, this isnt a hot deal. this should have been moved to deal discussion

I wasnt serious <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif" border=0>
Ok added the customary <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif" border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>

11. Pay cash so you can avoid getting the same letter I got yesterday saying that TJMaxx/Marshall's whatever had a security breach and your credit card number has been identified by Master Card as one of the ones that was definitely stolen. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif" border=0>

Brian2554 said: [Q]2. look at the upper right of a TJ maxx price ticket. There is a 2 digit number. This number is the month the item came into the store and this number goes up to 24. The current month is 14. If an item is more than 2 month old but doesn't have a yellow or red sticker then kindly ask an associate to check for a markdown for you. Most likely the item was missed and you could save a lot of money. Also, if its more than 4 months before with one red sticker the associate can ask the manager to check the computer in the office for additional markdown but this is less likely to happen' its YMMV.

I don't understand this. Do you mean that February is 14? If so, then next February would be 2, if I have this figured out correctly. It's sort of like saying that one TJ Maxx year equals one solar year. Am I right?


I think OP was referring to the storewide clearance and that ends on the 8th?

Brian2554 said: [Q]
6. Yellow stickers are final clearance, so don't expect more markdowns but its FALSE that we throw all yellow sticker items away. Sometimes they are thrown out if they dont look sellable but they can be marked down more later.

I have seen some items get a 2nd yellow sticker. Another associate told me this happens on some items, but not all yellow tags.

Do the items get thrown out (like in the dumpster) or donated to charity?

Very informative. Thanks for the info and welcome to Fat Wallet. Is the coding system somewhat the same with Marshall's--I realize that you don't work at Marshall's but thought I would ask.
Thanks.

Thanks OP!!

Excellent post. I have learned a lot. Thank you!

WashingtonState said: [Q]Very informative. Thanks for the info and welcome to Fat Wallet. Is the coding system somewhat the same with Marshall's--I realize that you don't work at Marshall's but thought I would ask.
Thanks.

I think so. Only went there for shoes. TJ Maxx doesn't carry most of the mens shoes

Brian2554 said: [Q]I work at TJ maxx as a service desk coordinator and i want to give people a few tips on how to squeeze a few extra dollars savings.


8. TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Homegoods AJ Wright and 2 more (can't remember names) are the same company. The gift cards are for the most part the murchandise are not interchangable.

I think Bob stores is one.

RevRagnarok said: [Q]11. Pay cash so you can avoid getting the same letter I got yesterday saying that TJMaxx/Marshall's whatever had a security breach and your credit card number has been identified by Master Card as one of the ones that was definitely stolen. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif" border=0>

Man I would have appreciated such a letter, but instead I got hit with $2,900 in fraudulent changes on my bankcard/VISA - and NO MY MONEY HAS NOT ALL BE REFUNDED! I'll tell you this, I LOVED TJX stores to the point that whenever I traveled I would map out all of the locations and try to visit them. I am guessing that is how they got me, I was in Boston,MA; Santa Clara, Redwood & Mountain View Calif; Fayetteville, NC, Vienna, Va; Columbia, Largo, Greenbelt, Rockville & Hanover, MD - yes, I know how to find a bargain, but no more.

Just the mere lack of respect for the customers has me reeling. Hate to say it, but it will be a long time before I venture into Marshalls, TJMaxx,or Home Goods.

ddivqtNMD said: [Q]Man I would have appreciated such a letterIt came from my Credit Union not TJM.

RevRagnarok said: [Q]ddivqtNMD said: [Q]Man I would have appreciated such a letterIt came from my Credit Union not TJM.


My bank automatically issued new cards, with new numbers, for both my debit card and my credit card. There was a letter stating that a 'major retailer' had a security breach and they were taking precautionary measures, etc. They never mentioned TJX, but we all know that's the incident to which they were referring.

I'm glad they took it upon themselves to issue the new cards.

IQ70 said: [Q]Brian2554 said: [Q]1. Be nice! - If you are nice to me, I am more willing to do what you ask if you are nice. Also don't drop items on the floor or dump them at the front tables. I will hurt you!


Before you threaten me moron, follow the rules of the board and you wont get kicked on your ass.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif" border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>
Where the fark is your hot deal? Huh?<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif" border=0>

IQ70 needs to lay off the man juice, he is always this cocky. he's always threating to kick butt or something, he needs to CHILL out and calm down. Some men think they are the king lion if they bite their way through life, but EVERY thing has a ruling master. a lion won't escape a high powered rifle.

wow u r really an expert!!

Thanks, OP. Gave you green.

Quick question: What kind of discount do you give when we point out that an item is damaged? Is it 5%? more? Is this something that we can haggle on? Thanks.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014