Passive Auto Theft Deterrent

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Sometime back I saw a passive auto theft deterrent product: A flashing LED that you connect to the car battery and and looks as if you have an alarm system in your car. Can anyone please point me to a link for this product.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I tend to follow the "blinking light is good enough" reasoning.<br><br>I mean if you have a really nice car, then put so... (more)

Devedander (Mar. 04, 2007 @ 11:38p) |

When in doubt, the thief went with a tow-truck!<br>That's exactly what happened to my friend's 2003 Lexus GS430 loaded w... (more)

ctrolaltdel (Mar. 05, 2007 @ 10:49a) |

100 dollar alarm+ keyless entry = from fry's and was installed.<br><br>it has never failed me except the transmitter dis... (more)

wed3k (Mar. 05, 2007 @ 12:44p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

tlaxson said: [Q]Something like this?

Yes, but this one looks a bit different. I am looking for something that has a single LED.

the Autoclub maybe ??

You're better off spending $100-150 installed on a system from Circuit City. If you're even thinking about these fake alarm LEDs you must care about your car. That said, I don't have an alarm yet either - I'm too picky so it's either going to be the $400 Toyota OEM alarm or the $500 2-way pager alarm..

Look at it this way. If a thief comes in to steal and sees there is an alarm system(i.e. the blinking light) and he still wants to steal, he is doing so because:
1) He is The Professional. he knows his to disarm alarms and steal. (probability=20%)
2) He is desperate and doesn't care for the alarm to go off. (probability=10%)

Otherwise he will walk off and go to the next car(probability = 100-20-10 = 70%). Now I believe with my cheap car nobody is going to steal it, however my main aim is to protect the $150 music system. Hence I think I am better off living with a 70% probability of it not being stolen and just install a blinking light. What do ya guys think????

Cheetah2004 said: [Q]Look at it this way. If a thief comes in to steal and sees there is an alarm system(i.e. the blinking light) and he still wants to steal, he is doing so because:
1) He is The Professional. he knows his to disarm alarms and steal. (probability=20%)

Otherwise he will walk off and go to the next car(probability = 100-20-10 = 70%). Now I believe with my cheap car nobody is going to steal it, however my main aim is to protect the $150 music system. Hence I think I am better off living with a 70% probability of it not being stolen and just install a blinking light. What do ya guys think????

Makes some sense. There's a reason stores install fake CCTV cameras, and there's a reason the police park empty cruisers in front of department stores during the holiday season.

Don't assume your car isn't a target because it's "cheap;" most thieves target cars to strip them for parts to be used in the auto body repair business. More cars of a given model on the road means more wrecks means more demand for replacement parts. On the following list from the State Farm website, note the presence of the Accord, Camry, F150, and Dodge Caravan, all of which are among the most popular vehicles in their class, and also note the age of the cars getting snagged.

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2005.

1 1991 Honda Accord
2 1995 Honda Civic
3 1989 Toyota Camry
4 1994 Dodge Caravan
5 1994 Nissan Sentra
6 1997 Ford F150 Series
7 1990 Acura Integra
8 1986 Toyota Pickup
9 1993 Saturn SL
10 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup

Not a Bimmer of Benz to be found.

Cheetah2004 said: [Q]Look at it this way. If a thief comes in to steal and sees there is an alarm system(i.e. the blinking light) and he still wants to steal, he is doing so because:

IMO, your logic is off. You underestimate the amount of thieves out there that are desperate - after all, why else are they stealing cars or breaking into them? One of my friends had an expensive alarm in his car [and an expensive sound system] but it didn't matter. Thieves still broke in. I'm sure half of it is that the thieves are QUICK and the other half is that nobody cares that an alarm is going off anymore.

At a minimum, I would get an engine immobilizer system. It's built in to most cars these days.. This way, at least they won't be able to make out with your entire car.

Great as a cheap insurance policy. Just make sure it will not blink when you are driving around, as that could get annoying.

billybwilde said: [Q]Great as a cheap insurance policy. Just make sure it will not blink when you are driving around, as that could get annoying.

I suspect the manufacturers of these doo-dads have already considered that angle, but if not, you could always get a 12 volt relay at Radio Shack and wire it so it would kick in when an "always on with the ignition" circuit (such as, power to the radio or the wipers) switched off as you shut down the engine.

Cheetah2004 said: [Q]Now I believe with my cheap car nobody is going to steal it, however my main aim is to protect the $150 music system. Hence I think I am better off living with a 70% probability of it not being stolen and just install a blinking light. What do ya guys think????

Sounds like it's a CD Player. The best thing to do is to remove the detachable faceplate if possible. It will cost more for your broken window and your time.

S105dude said: [Q]You underestimate the amount of thieves out there that are desperate

I know several people who've had their windows busted so that people could steal the change sitting in the ashtray or center console. Anything's possible.

Cheetah2004 said: [Q]The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2005.

1 1991 Honda Accord
2 1995 Honda Civic
3 1989 Toyota Camry
4 1994 Dodge Caravan
5 1994 Nissan Sentra
6 1997 Ford F150 Series
7 1990 Acura Integra
8 1986 Toyota Pickup
9 1993 Saturn SL
10 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup

On the contrary..

The CCC reports the ten most stolen vehicles for 2005 are as follows:

1. 2001 BMW M Roadster
2. 1998 Acura Integra
3. 2004 Mercury Marauder
4. 1999 Acura Integra
5. 1995 Acura Integra
6. 2002 Audi S4
7. 1996 Acura Integra
8. 1997 Acura Integra
9. 2001 Acura Integra
10. 2000 Jaguar XJR

This is a different organization getting the data BTW..

Unfortunately I drive an Integra and guard it with my life.

another very good deterrent Watch the quicktime video

I think the trunk monkey theft deterrent system is still the best...

Click here for video

I always thought my car would never be a target because I installed the Clifford G4 alarm system. Based on their stats, the probability of deferring car thieves away is about 95% because it is a difficult system to break. But someone did break the window of my car, trying to steal the audio system. I do have the alarm blinking constantly and there's a sticker on my car window that displays the "this car is protected by G4 alarm system" notice. But that didn't stop the thieves. Nothing was stolen though because as soon as I heard the alarm, I pressed to silence it, which drove the thieves away. Luckily, my car was parked in front of my friends house.

JonesBeach said: [Q]
The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2005.

1 1991 Honda Accord
2 1995 Honda Civic
3 1989 Toyota Camry
4 1994 Dodge Caravan
5 1994 Nissan Sentra
6 1997 Ford F150 Series
7 1990 Acura Integra
8 1986 Toyota Pickup
9 1993 Saturn SL
10 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup

Bear in mind, there are many times more Hondas and Toyotas out there, than there are BMWs and Mercedes. So while more Civics might be stolen than BMWs, but percentage of BMWs stolen may far exceed the percentage of Hondas or Toyotas stolen.

calng said: [Q]I always thought my car would never be a target because I installed the Clifford G4 alarm system. Based on their stats, the probability of deferring car thieves away is about 95% because it is a difficult system to break. But someone did break the window of my car, trying to steal the audio system. I do have the alarm blinking constantly and there's a sticker on my car window that displays the "this car is protected by G4 alarm system" notice. But that didn't stop the thieves. Nothing was stolen though because as soon as I heard the alarm, I pressed to silence it, which drove the thieves away. Luckily, my car was parked in front of my friends house.

At that point I would've ran out of the house and try to run the would be thief down.

6 of 10 are foreign, good, buy american

Won't stop a determined thief, but is a deterrent . . AutoLock.

sager66 said: [Q]Won't stop a determined thief, but is a deterrent . . AutoLock.

I have this for last 5 years.. and I have been parking on road every day for last 2 years.. though it doesn't prove anything
but I think something this like would definitely make it less attractive target since removing it would require some time.. it would be easier for a thief to move on no next car with no protection..

sager66 said: [Q]Won't stop a determined thief, but is a deterrent . . AutoLock.

Visible theft deterents like this work because they make it take longer to steal your car.
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Club-1000-Anti-Theft-Device/dp/B0000CBILL

Of course, Nothings going to stop someone from breaking your car window to grab the ipod you left on the seat.

I have this. It's just to deter amateur thieves. I can steal my own car with this on.. On automatic cars, they all have shift lock overrides so you don't need to depress the brake pedal to shift into drive. You can then use the handbrake instead of the actual brake pedal till the thief gets wherever they want to be.

I tend to follow the "blinking light is good enough" reasoning.

I mean if you have a really nice car, then put some sort of tracking device or cellular remote system that will page you if it gets broken into, but for the average Joe you are trying to deter the armature thief. These account for the vast number of thieves out there.

This is analogus in my book to locking your door to keep your house secure. Have you ever looked at your house after you lock the door? Do you see those huge glass plates all over the walls that can be broken with a small rock/stick/fist? Do you think your house is at all secure?

No.

The saying is "Locks only keep out the honest people". The ones who won't walk into your house if you don't want them to.

That's partially right, but it also deters the casual/amature thief. The drunk or homeless guy who is walking by and just out of nowhere decides to give your door a try. Or the amature thief who thinks that breaking a window really attracts enough attention to be a hindrance (my roomate broke into our apt once when she forgot her key by smashing a window. With 3 apts facing that wall not a person came out and the manager didn't even hear.

The way I see it is by the time they commit to smashing a window or picking a lock, it doesn't matter what you have honking and beeping, they are getting in, getting whatever they can in about 1 minute and leaving.

When is the last time you heard a car alarm go off at 2AM and thought "Jeez!!! I better call the cops, someone's car is getting broken into?"

How many times have you heard one that sounds just like yours (because there are like 3 standard sets of sounds out there) and just lay in bed thinking "It's probably someone elses... if they don't shut it off in 1 minute I will go see if it's mine"?

Yeah... so basic $100-150 car alarms are pretty useless.

Not to mention all you have to do is pop the hood and pull the power from the battery to shut one off if you really want more time.

Again, if you are trying to protect your CAR from being stolen, then yes, invest in a decent alarm with fuel cutoff and shift locking, but if you have a car worth stealing, the people breaking in are likely going to be good enough to bypass these as they will expect you to have such a system (where do you think alarm installers go when they get fired?). Petty thieves wouldn't know what to do with a Mercedes or even a BMW and they just want a few bucks for some booze or drugs probably. Better to steal a stereo and a wallet, something that won't bring the cops down on your back in most cases.

But most of the time your car won't be stolen, it will be your stereo and any money/keys etc sitting in your car at the time it's broken into. These can be a huge pain by themselves (like getting all your locks changed?) and the flashing light will stop anyone who was going to be stopped by a noisy alarm and save you that, and again, if they see the light and break in, the real alarm wasn't going to do you any good at that point anyway. Any decent amature thief can rifle your glovebox, under and around your seats and yank a stereo in under 1 minute.

So to naysayers who don't think the flashing light is of any use, I say, you are probably right... but only because the real alarms of very little use also. Thieves aren't likely to be very deterred by noisy alarm sounds.

And for the record, I have a $350 clifford alarm system installed in my car. Someone broke into it, in the carport right under my bedroom in my apt, stole my stereo and went through all my stuff in the middle of the night and the alarm never went off. Every alarm has it's weakness...

Again you aren't scaring off any serious thieves, you are just doing the equivalent of locking your doors.

When in doubt, the thief went with a tow-truck!
That's exactly what happened to my friend's 2003 Lexus GS430 loaded with JDM kits and rims, NAV, DVD, TV headrest monitors.

Thief from Newark NJ came to Yardley, boosted it right outside of his condo apt. parking lot. They did break the driver sidewindow, attempted to drive away, but this thing UNBREAKABLE Brake Lock stops him/her/them... So they ended up tow the whole car away... Disable the arlam system BTW.

So... if you worry about your car being broken in, nothing you can stop a bumb from break in your car, stopping someone from driving your car away, use the Unbreak lock I show up there. Last, if they want your car really bad, they'll bring the tow truck!

INFO:

Double-Nickel chrome look is a must-have for any tuner!

The Unbreakable AutoLock X simply locks up the brake or clutch Pedal, making your car or truck impossible to drive. Guaranteed! The Unbreakable AutoLock X's solid steel deadbolt lock system is virtually drill-proof, cut-proof and freon-proof, under normal circumstances and use.

BRAKE vs. STEERING WHEEL
The Unbreakable AutoLock X uses the brake pedal or clutch pedal arm because their thick solid steel construction makes them one of the strongest parts of your vehicle and virtually impossible to cut. Steering wheel locks are typically bars that attach to the steering wheel & prevent it from turning. Most steering wheels are made of thin metal & foam because they are designed to bend out of the driver's way in an accident. A car thief can easily cut the steering wheel using a bolt cutter or hacksaw, remove the steering wheel lock & steal the vehicle.
Features:

Hardened steel construction with heavy duty lock lock
Prevents use of brake pedal or clutch
Includes highly visible steering wheel cover and window decal
Because of a unique brake pedal arm design, the AutoLock DOES NOT fit the following vehicles:

MAKE
MODEL
YEAR

Audi
A4, A6, TT
1997-2003

Ford
Contour
1995-2000

Mercury
Mystique
1995-2000

Porsche
911, 928, 944, 968
Before 1999

Toyota
Tacoma
2000-2003

VW
Jetta, Golf/GTI
2000-2003

VW
Passat, Beetle
2000-2003

100 dollar alarm+ keyless entry = from fry's and was installed.

it has never failed me except the transmitter distance is kinda weak.

reason = car was stolen in broad daylight and left in East Palo Alto with no damage but some stuff was stolen such as the remanufactured axle and pocket change. they didnt steal the set of rims i had sitting in the trunk either.
<-very fortunate

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014