• 147484950 51
  • Page
  • Text Only
They were bought out and are now Rakuten.com in case you want to continue serving them justice.

KuoH

tulsastorm said:   Here is hoping it won't be much longer before they go out of business and justice will be served.

tulsastorm said:   Well that sucks! It appears Buy.con bought off the judge because this was a cut and dry case with precedent (CompUSA, TigerDirect). That pretty much guarantees Buy will be on my s**t list for now and forever. Now they have an even worse reputation for sharing their customer's credit card numbers with criminals. Here is hoping it won't be much longer before they go out of business and justice will be served.

Buy.com had one advantage TD didn't have. Connect3D filed BK so for your claim to have survived you needed to file a proof of claim against Connect3D in the BK case. If you didn't file timely, your claim was canceled. No money for unsecured creditors like us. I found out about bankruptcy about 4 weeks after the claims bar date. Buy.com and a couple of other vendors who had rebate exposure were smart enough to do a deal with the Trustee to pay over receivables due Connect3D and extinguish any further reliability. Go back to about page 9 and you will see Buy.com filed an interpleader (post calls it a lawsuit) against Connect 3D and the BK Court said pay the Trustee. That is where we all got screwed. If I remember correctly IRS only got about 30 cents on the dollar and they are a priority creditor ahead of us. Unfortunately the Bankruptcy Code is a statute which trumps the regulations of the FTC and California state laws.

I agree 100%. Thats why I will be sending an objection letter. I hope others do the same.

tulsastorm said:   Well that sucks! It appears Buy.con bought off the judge because this was a cut and dry case with precedent (CompUSA, TigerDirect). That pretty much guarantees Buy will be on my s**t list for now and forever. Now they have an even worse reputation for sharing their customer's credit card numbers with criminals. Here is hoping it won't be much longer before they go out of business and justice will be served.

post card
Disclaimer
I haven't really been actively following this over the last few years.

Got the same card in the mail today. Basically Buy.com/raketen giving a big FU to its customers.

Attached is the image of the postcard. Not sure how i got opted into this as I was one of the few who pushed hard enough to get a refund of $40 sometime in june of 2007. Anyways, since then, i've stayed away from Buy.com for the majority of purchases. Over the years, maybe bought 2 or 3 items at most. With the recent rash of fraudulent and compromised credit card numbers occurring with transactions made at raketen, i'm done with them. I'll give my business to Amazon or Newegg, even if its a few bucks more.

Got the same post card. Stopped buying from them a longtime ago.

Elric428 said:   I agree 100%. Thats why I will be sending an objection letter. I hope others do the same.

After all this, I'm guessing that the judge or his law clerk conferenced the action and basically told plaintiff's counsel that we weren't going to get anything, and what can we do to settle this. If you send in "an objection", a letter probably has no value. It should be in the proper legal format, setting forth your legal basis and arguments for objecting. Also, setting forth that other companies voluntarily decided to provide the refund amount to customers is irrelevant. Unfortunately, the only thing I think we can do here is not buy from them. Personally, I have a credit from the Buy.com credit card for years I haven't used yet. For me, using the credit is the only thing I can really do.

• Archived From: ForumsDeal Discussion

• 147484950 51
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.