• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
The world famous FREE Movie Screening Thread (last one seems to be lost) Possible spoilers, be warned. is not the best place to discuss free screenings and movies. The thread works best when posts are limited to just give details about upcoming screenings, place, date, movie, and how to attend. Just the bare facts, 'mam.

But people do have legitimate questions, experiences, and observations about screenings and movies, so this thread can serve as a place to discuss some of those subjects that don't fit into the tight content restrictions of the "Free Stuff" forum thread.

If your post contains movie details that may impact the experience of people who have not yet seen a movie, but plan to, please alert everyone by adding the words "SPOILER ALERT" somewhere before those details are revealed.

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Does anyone have the GOFOBO RSVP code for the June 16th,2014 screening of Jersey Boys in Philadelphia,Pa? My friends and... (more)

BillyZuko57 (May. 14, 2014 @ 7:58p) |

~~Can you tell your fans what happened to your website and the fact that it's 'free movie screenings' has dried up. No b... (more)

FaesJsCats (Sep. 12, 2014 @ 8:32p) |

I'm still here.. If you're looking for more links and ways to get the screenings: theninjawriter.com visit the links I p... (more)

keyboardmaster (Sep. 29, 2014 @ 9:37p) |

In need of update.

rated:
Ever wanted to attend a screening, but for some reason you didn't get an rsvp? That happened to me a few weeks ago when I wanted to see a screening of "300" but I forgot to sign up.

MsMojo was out of town, so there was only me. I got to the screening location a bit early, went to the head of the line, and started asking "Anyone have a "plus 1 guest" that won't show up?" I walked down the row and after about the third time a lady stopped me. Her guest did show, but she had another friend who couldn't make it, so she gave me her friend's name and I used it when I got up to the guest check-in.

Now this worked because there was a name list, usually that's not the case because printed passes or emails are required. In that case I'm certain someone in line rsvp'd for 2 people, but one bails.

Plus there are plenty of screenings where they don't even check rsvps or they under booked. Doesn't hurt to try.

rated:
Anyone going to the "David and Layla" screening this Monday in Detroit?

rated:
(and by Detroit I mean Birmingham, MI)

rated:
Fans of WAM may protest..............

but Wild About Movies's track record has been far from stellar in my neck of the woods. I have been burned with their passes being turned away at the moviehouse location printed on them one too many times for my tastes and too many moviehouses and legitimate promotional companies and giveaway sources STILL don't know who WAM are as an authorized advanced movie screening pass distributor.

I go to a lot of screenings myself thru a number of sources and I have had to bail WAM movie pass hopefuls with legitimate extra passes I would happen to have when theirs was rejected on a few occasions. Untill proven otherwise, I consider WAM a "hijack" site. The only passes I have seen being accepted "by WAM" are those hijacked elsewhere from a legitimate source(FoxSearchLight's site comes to mind). If you are savvy enough and gain in experience with the more movie screenings you attend, you can tell the difference between an acceptable pass from WAM and one that is not legit 99% of the time.

ON THE OTHER HAND, at least in my neck of the woods, when issues of patrons with WAM passes being turned away have arisen, and depending on the tone you take with them in your complaints, it has been addressed satisfactorily most of the time, surprisingly so in some cases.

SO while I do not consider WAM a surebet source, I do not consider them a total fraud either. Just be on your toes with their passes and let your own personal experiences with them be your guide.

rated:
In SoCal don't even think about using any WAM pass at the Paramount lot. Although I doubt it will get you arrested, it certainly will not get you inside!

rated:
In another thread, MovieFilmFan said:Theaters HAVE to accept WAM tickets if they were authorized by the studio. Stop spreading rumors. AMC was sued by WAM for failing to accept Spiderman 3 tickets. Notice the AMC Boston Common screening for WAM above, where you can PRINT PASSES, now! Speak not, when you know nothing.Could you please provide a link to a news story about this lawsuit? Because I am able to find info about AMC being sued for violating the ADA act, but nothing about their being sued for not accepting passes. Thanks much!

rated:
MrNobody2006 said: Fans of WAM may protest..............

but Wild About Movies's track record has been far from stellar in my neck of the woods. I have been burned with their passes being turned away at the moviehouse location printed on them one too many times for my tastes and too many moviehouses and legitimate promotional companies and giveaway sources STILL don't know who WAM are as an authorized advanced movie screening pass distributor.

I go to a lot of screenings myself thru a number of sources and I have had to bail WAM movie pass hopefuls with legitimate extra passes I would happen to have when theirs was rejected on a few occasions. Untill proven otherwise, I consider WAM a "hijack" site. The only passes I have seen being accepted "by WAM" are those hijacked elsewhere from a legitimate source(FoxSearchLight's site comes to mind). If you are savvy enough and gain in experience with the more movie screenings you attend, you can tell the difference between an acceptable pass from WAM and one that is not legit 99% of the time.

ON THE OTHER HAND, at least in my neck of the woods, when issues of patrons with WAM passes being turned away have arisen, and depending on the tone you take with them in your complaints, it has been addressed satisfactorily most of the time, surprisingly so in some cases.

SO while I do not consider WAM a surebet source, I do not consider them a total fraud either. Just be on your toes with their passes and let your own personal experiences with them be your guide.
I've never even heard of WildAboutMovies. But from all the rants and ravings from MovieFilmFan has turned me off. I would posts more links to MovieFilmFan's rants, but mods have already deleted some.

I am willing to wager that if FatWallet mods were to track MovieFilmFan's IPs, the IP addresses would be linked to WAM.

rated:
MovieFilmFan said:

All passes which anyone in various cities can print for RATATOUILLE and BROKEN ENGLISH, as well as dozens of other movies are VALID, as thousands can attest, after having attended tonight, in Boston and NYC. You won't find anyone who didn't get in. You people are all psychopaths, so it seems. Guess it is true. People that troll chat rooms are all koo-koo.

You're right...we're all obviously wrong.

Wild About Movies is such a reputable company that has its own email server, (and doesn't use numerous Yahoo, AOL & GMail accounts to get around spam blockers) right?

WAM allows people to UNSUBSCRIBE from its (spam) emails, right?

WAM never steals info on free screenings from this site then pawns the links on its own website, claiming credit for them, right? (...like say Grace Hill Media)

If you guessed NO to all three of the above questions...you'd be correct!

Oh, and you might want to stop saying that we're all "psychopaths" since we are the people posting some of the screenings you steal from...and then take credit for on your own site. ...just a thought

rated:
squirrelproductions said:
I am willing to wager that if FatWallet mods were to track MovieFilmFan's IPs, the IP addresses would be linked to WAM.

A few months ago the dufus who runs WAM had some feud with the publicity dept at Paramount. He posted some correspondence he had with them, emails and such. Of course he only presented his side of the argument, so it was impossible to discern who was in the right. But even giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was correct, his style of communication was incredibly juvenile. It bordered on harassment to the degree that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Paramount had alerted the authorities.

Likewise I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that MovieFilmFan and WAM are one and the same. They share the same immature attitude and lack of writing style.

rated:
Can we expect for Time Out screening tix to be given away within seconds of them sending the 'Now Available' email? It seems that the link within the email takes you a default: all gone message. Am I right?

rated:
I was wondering if anyone managed to get a ticket for the Chicago screening of Transformers through moviefiller. What I want to know specifically is, where is the screening and at what time? I don't want to plan to go to AMC River East for the screening that The Loop gave out passes to only to find out that it was way overbooked by giving extra passes out through moviefiller. Conversely, I don't want to make plans to drive to Woodridge only to get there and see hundreds of moviefiller members standing outside. Thanks in advance for any help.

rated:
TimeOutNewYork has been a litle perculair, as of late. In general, you have to be at the computer the moment the link comes in your Inbox(sometimes in regular messages, sometimes in bulk) for you to click on to see ticket availability in order to have a chance to actually gettin the E-Ticket. I haven't quite figured out why yet but different people sometimes get that link in their Inbox at different times throughout the day as I would call people up or E-mail them inquiring who would tell me they geot the link at 8AM while I am still waiting at 9:30AM for it.

Oh Well...at least they are legit

rated:
PilotWillie said: I was wondering if anyone managed to get a ticket for the Chicago screening of Transformers through moviefiller. What I want to know specifically is, where is the screening and at what time? I don't want to plan to go to AMC River East for the screening that The Loop gave out passes to only to find out that it was way overbooked by giving extra passes out through moviefiller. Conversely, I don't want to make plans to drive to Woodridge only to get there and see hundreds of moviefiller members standing outside. Thanks in advance for any help.That's about 25 miles between Woodridge and downtown Chicago. Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a ticket, especially with the cost of gas these days? Not to mention all the traffic hassles/headaches on I290 and/or I55.

rated:
WTF is it with some of these knuckleheads? Is it really that difficult to comprehend that the free movie thread is ONLY for posting screenings? It's not for reviews, complaints, requests etc. Do those fools only post that crap to piss other people off? Don't they have more productive things to do?

Unbelievable.

Speaking of movies... Have you been to a preview screening and then never heard of the movie again? We caught a screening of "Lars and the Real Girl" and I really thought it was a good little film. Supposedly it's scheduled for release this fall. It's kinda quirky, so I can see where they don't want to go up against the summer monsters. If it is released you'll definitely want to keep an eye out for screeners.

rated:
squirrelproductions said: That's about 25 miles between Woodridge and downtown Chicago. Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a ticket, especially with the cost of gas these days? Not to mention all the traffic hassles/headaches on I290 and/or I55.Both screenings are about the same distance from me, so there's no trouble there. I just filled up at $2.77 so no complaints from me about the gas price. The problem basically is I don't want to have to show up 6 hours early to ensure entry so knowing which theatre those passes are for could help prevent that. I think I've decided which theatre to go to and I'm just going to head in early and kill some time with friends, so it's pretty much a nonissue now.

rated:
PilotWillie said: I was wondering if anyone managed to get a ticket for the Chicago screening of Transformers through moviefiller. What I want to know specifically is, where is the screening and at what time? I don't want to plan to go to AMC River East for the screening that The Loop gave out passes to only to find out that it was way overbooked by giving extra passes out through moviefiller. Conversely, I don't want to make plans to drive to Woodridge only to get there and see hundreds of moviefiller members standing outside. Thanks in advance for any help.

ALL movie screenings overbook. You have to get to the theater at least an hour beforehand or you won't get in. That's just a given.

rated:
This one is fishy:

oncrn17 said: CHICAGO

“HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX” SCREENING

1. TO ENTER: E-mail your name, age, address, and daytime telephone number to chicagomoviecontest@hotmail.com starting on July 2 and all entries must be received by noon, July 5.

Movie pass for two to the 7:00 pm screening of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on Tuesday, July 10 at the Hollywood Blvd. Cinema, 1001 W. 75th St., Woodridge, IL 60517.

What legitimate movie promotions company uses a Hotmail address?

rated:
elliedoom said: What legitimate movie promotions company uses a Hotmail address?Maybe Mel Gibson's company? Oh, you said legitimate. Nevermind.

I used to like Mel Gibson. But now, he might as well join Scientology, and "get it over with"

rated:
MaxMojo said: WTF is it with some of these knuckleheads? Is it really that difficult to comprehend that the free movie thread is ONLY for posting screenings? It's not for reviews, complaints, requests etc. Do those fools only post that crap to piss other people off? Don't they have more productive things to do?

Unbelievable.

Speaking of movies... Have you been to a preview screening and then never heard of the movie again? We caught a screening of "Lars and the Real Girl" and I really thought it was a good little film. Supposedly it's scheduled for release this fall. It's kinda quirky, so I can see where they don't want to go up against the summer monsters. If it is released you'll definitely want to keep an eye out for screeners.
So, ONLY for posting screenings is it now, eh?

Still re-reading and re-reading and re-reading and re-reading his above post to find his screening announcement.

rated:
bullbert said: MaxMojo said: WTF is it with some of these knuckleheads? Is it really that difficult to comprehend that the free movie thread is ONLY for posting screenings? It's not for reviews, complaints, requests etc. Do those fools only post that crap to piss other people off? Don't they have more productive things to do?

Unbelievable.

Still re-reading and re-reading and re-reading and re-reading his above post to find his screening announcement.

I'm pretty sure Mojo was referring to the movie screenings thread, not this one (which is the movie screening discussion thread).

rated:
elliedoom said: bullbert said: MaxMojo said: WTF is it with some of these knuckleheads? Is it really that difficult to comprehend that the free movie thread is ONLY for posting screenings? It's not for reviews, complaints, requests etc. Do those fools only post that crap to piss other people off? Don't they have more productive things to do?

Unbelievable.

I'm pretty sure Mojo was referring to the movie screenings thread, not this one (which is the movie screening discussion thread).

Ding ding ding.. Someone wins a large bag of butter-flavored popcorn!

I thought the fact that I not only listed the name of, but also linked to the thread in the freebie forum would make it clear that that was the thread I was writing about. I guess not, sorry 'bout that!

rated:
Well let's not get carried away with what may or may not be suspect as far as free movie offerings.......

but to Mojo

I have been to screenings where....

the movie shown was shelved before theatrical release

the movie shown has its theatrical release delayed so long more than a year passes by to the point i almost forgot about the movie entirely

The movie is theatrically released under a new name and new look(thanks to massive re-editing) that it takes me a minute to recognize it as one I have seen already.

rated:
elliedoom said: ALL movie screenings overbook. You have to get to the theater at least an hour beforehand or you won't get in. That's just a given.Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. I know that they overbook as they are trying to ensure a full house and that you should arrive at least an hour early to make sure you get in. My concern was that moviefiller had possibly given out even more passes to a screening that was already overbooked by 2 separate groups. Being that it was Transformers I expected people to do whatever it took to be there earlier than suggested. This, as opposed to getting free passes to a movie that it's safe to say there isn't much interest in (i.e. Death At A Funeral which had a total of 3 people in line until they moved them somewhere else and designated that section as an additional line for Transformers) and therefore arriving only a half hour before the screening. We ended up getting to the theatre at around 5:30 as we were going to Lucky Strike for dinner and figured we would give ourselves some extra time to get there just in case there was bad traffic. When all was said and done, the theatre employees stated there were about a hundred people still waiting to get in when it was almost packed but our count put the number closer to 200. At the end of the day, arriving earlier than the promotions department advised us to turned out to be a smart move as we got our tickets and promo bags as soon as they arrived and got to see an awesome movie for free (or since I know some of you FW members like to factor in other costs, we used about $4 of gas, parked for free, and spent $50 on food and drinks with tip). Overall I don't think $54 for 4 people to have a meal and see a movie 4 days before it's released and get free stuff for going is a bad price at all. Now if only there was anything else worth seeing coming soon.

rated:
man wtf... i am waiting for harry potter in nyc. every other city but the biggest and most populated city in the country has it!

I'm still holding out hope. Even though I already have tickets for Tuesday Night/Wednesday morning at the IMAX, I would love to see it ahead of time!

rated:
We don't have it here yet in Detroit, either (I assume you're referring to a free screening). I would definitely LOVE to see it before it actually comes out .

rated:
MaxMojo said: Speaking of movies... Have you been to a preview screening and then never heard of the movie again?

Also don't forget that some of the movies will go straight to DVD, may get shelved for a year or so and THEN still end up on DVD. Some get put on the shelf for a long long time. Working for one of the screening companies here in Los Angeles I've seen then go straight to DVD many times, and even a couple that didn't get released for 4+ years.

rated:
Has anyone heard of the movie "Elvis and Anabelle," or saw it at the Texas film screening? I have been trying to find out when it's being released to ALL theaters, but I can't find the info anywhere.

rated:
Has anyone received the email passes for Introducing the Dwights yet? I signed up weeks ago & still haven't received them for July 10the screening. I've read that you can print the submit page in lieu of the email, has anyone tried this & does it work? TIA

rated:
Has anyone received the email passes for Introducing the Dwights yet? I signed up weeks ago & still haven't received them for July 10the screening. I've read that you can print the submit page in lieu of the email, has anyone tried this & does it work? TIA

You should try it again, perhaps, because I received mine weeks ago, for the July 10th screening.

rated:
fwspf said: Has anyone received the email passes for Introducing the Dwights yet? I signed up weeks ago & still haven't received them for July 10the screening. I've read that you can print the submit page in lieu of the email, has anyone tried this & does it work? TIA

You should receive your email pass the day before the screening. There is nothing to print on the submit page, print the email as your pass.

rated:
You should receive your email pass the day before the screening. There is nothing to print on the submit page, print the email as your pass.

Really? I received an email a few days after I submitted my request for tickets, and there was an attachment you could print out with a poster of the movie and "you and a guest are invited to ..." on it. This was for the Detroit screening (I don't know if you're referring to a diff. city or not).

rated:
We saw "Introducing the Dwights" last night at the Detroit screening, it was cute but the trailer made it look better than it actually was, in my opinion.

rated:
i agree, i saw it a couple weeks ago (Dwights). It was sorta funny, but not great imo..

rated:
I saw a sneak of "Charlie Barlett" today, and it was pretty good! Robert Downey Jr. is in it, though he's not the main character.

rated:
has anyone heard back from Rush Hour 3? I haven't received an email at all.

rated:

has anyone heard back from Rush Hour 3? I haven't received an email at all.

Someone said in the other forum (the "actual" one) that the promo doesn't end until 7/27, so they probably will not send out passes until then.

rated:
Does anyone know about that Hot Rod screening in NY tomorrow? I left my information. Do I just show up to the theater tomorrow, and tell them my name?

Thanks!

rated:
Well, I had screening tickets to see "Hairspray" tonight at the Detroit preview, and when we got to the theater we were turned away and told that it was a private screening only for HAIRDRESSERS. The manager was actually quite abrupt, and the promoter didn't really know what she was talking about. Anyone else have this problem? The tickets were through a thread from the other ("official") Fat Wallet forum, and it was through the official "Hairspray" website, not a remote site like Wild About Movies or anything like that.

Skipping 360 Messages...
rated:
I'm still here.. If you're looking for more links and ways to get the screenings: theninjawriter.com visit the links I posted, and you will find more opportunities to get screening tickets. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.