• filter:
  • 123 4 510
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Mooncalf said: I saw that and was thinking how much it would have sucked being in that audience. They must have interrupted the movie 3 times at least and even showed a clip of one of the final scenes even though that point hadn't come yet.

It wasn't too bad actually. It's not as if the plotline is too difficult to follow, or the characters and situation so deep that the interruption takes you out of another world. It was kinda fun! I kenew something like that was goping to happen, just not exactly what.

The theater has a balcony and they had a lighting board and camera on ped up there. it was all covered, but it was there if you looked for it. Which I did because the light grid with theatrical lights at the front of the house. They were trying to be all stealth, but they had a set of backlights on when the room opened, and they don't put hours on those if they don't need to, plus they didn't dim them for the movie.

The movies not for my age bracket, but it had some very funny (raunchy) stuff, I enjoyed it.

Another plus - everyone got free popcorn and a soda!

rated:
how do you get off the crappy WAM list? they just dont remove you

rated:
hellyea81 said: how do you get off the crappy WAM list? they just dont remove you

Unfortunately, that guy/site seems to be only interested in spamming its users and forums rather than actually offering a useful service. Makes no sense whatsoever as every time he opens his mouth he just publicizes its intention rather than doing anything to positively promote it.

Finally, the word of its spamming, fraudently, and lying past actions are taking hold at most of the places people that might be interested in a free screenings site would hear of it. The only thing that can be done to alert others before they fall for it and give them any personal information which they refuse to use in the manner stated and requested, is to post your experience for others to see.

Might I suggest passing along your experience at some of the following places.

- Forward all future spam to spam@uce.gov and http://www.spamcop.net/ as well as use your email providers spam report function if applicable
- Post a site review at http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/wildaboutmovies.com (which will hopefully be one of the early results on search engines whenever one searches for WAM)
- Alert others in the following thread at CastleCops (CastleCops is a big security/privacy advocate site that does everything they can to hold these people accountable).. http://www.castlecops.com/t196406-Site_warning_Wildaboutmovies_com.html(one of the early results when doing a WAM search on search engienes)
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/contact/detections.html (email the site to have them consider reviewing WAM for blacklist inclusion)
- http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm (email the site owner winhelp2002@comcast.net to mention your experience with them in hopes of them adding it to the HOSTS file block list)
- File a privacy complaint at https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
- If anyone gets a fraudently provided screening pass that is confirmed as such, report them to the Mass. BBB
- Lastly, send your concerns to the studios they claim advertise on their site to express your experiences with it.

rated:
Never noticed this until today. From the WAM contact Page:

Please Note: If you receive our NEWSLETTER or any other email from Wild About Movies you cannot claim in any way, shape or form, to any entity, that email you have received from Wild About Movies is SPAM, as you have agreed to our TERMS & CONDITIONS when you entered your name and email address on our site. Any attempt by any person or company to slander www.wildaboutmovies.com by alleging that our site SPAMS, will result in immediate litigation and an immediate investigation by your local District Attorney's office for harassment. If you wish to NOT receive any emails from Wild About Movies, DO NOT enter any promotions, all of which clearly contain our Terms & Conditions, and in which you agree to our NEWSLETTERS and or emails.

rated:
Wow. A little taste of truth and that WAM dude's lost it.

Destroying that site should take little to no effort now.

rated:
Yay, "Sydney White" tickets! That movie looks cute it's a new take on "Snow White."

Oh, and I saw a preview of "Rocket Science" last night ... very confusing. The movie overall was not that good. We got there at 6pm (for a 7:30 showing) and it was pretty much empty, maybe 50 people showed up total.

rated:
Yeah i signed up for the sydney white my little sister will enjoy it she is 13 yeah kind of sad i didn't get in on the kingdom one rocket science which city did you see it in if u don't mind me asking.

rated:
I saw it in Bloomfield Hills (the "Detroit" screening).

rated:
I went to the "Sydney White" screening tonight at the Star Southfield (Detroit-area) and the FIRE ALARM WENT OFF near the end of it. Ugh! Can anyone tell me what happens in the last 10-20 mins. of the movie? Please PM me, I'd be forever grateful =) and the movie was pretty good, btw (or at least what I saw of it!).

rated:
I too have been trying from over 6 month to be removed from his mailing list. I even notified the government, the Boston BBB, his ISP (GoDaddy) and AOL (he uses AOL for his mailings to get around sending out from his ISP and being called SPAM) every time he sent me his newsletter. Today, I received this reply from WildAboutMovies and it made me laugh...he must be a bitter, lonely man (FYI: I only signed up once for his newsletter):

email from WildAboutMovies said: Your email address - which you inputted into our database, originally, has successfully been removed from the www.wildaboutmovies.com database.

If you wish to enter any promotions in the future, at the www.wildaboutmovies.com website, you will have to re-register for our NEWLETTER - link below -

http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/screenings/WildAboutMoviesWeeklyNewsletter.html

and DOUBLE OPT IN.

Thanks,
www.wildaboutmovies.com
Customer Support

We have your name, address and zip code and IP address. You have been reported to the FBI as we have over 18 entries on file from you. And GoDaddy closed the investigation, with the information we provided to them - the info you inputted into our site - and whereby you AGREED no less than 18 times to our email newsletter.

DO NOT EVER VISIT OUR SITE AGAIN!

rated:
Swiviol -

Looking through this thread I see you've seen movies at quite a few theatres in the 'Detroit' area, I live in Fowlerville (out near Lansing) and commute to Birmingham so I am used to driving all over. How do you find out about the screenings? In the other big thread? Or are there sites that you check or alert you? Thanks for any info-

rated:
Hi Bonosloveslave,

I know you didn't direct your question to me, but I also live in Michigan and these are the links I use to find free movie screenings in the area:

SD
click on last page and then look back a few pages from there
I'm NOT allowed to post the URL of SD...so if you need it email me. Otherwise go there and do a search in their forums for "Movie Screenings"

"Brevity is...wit" A blog by Neel Mehta in Las Vegas
Do a "Find" in the browser window (ctrl-F or cmd-F) and search for "Detroit"
This person has spent a lot of time compiling this list and also does a lot of work to keep it updated. High Recommended.
nhmehta.blogspot.com/2007/01/advanced-screenings-guide-specific.html

Metro Times
They don't always have contests.
www.metrotimes.com/buzz/

WWJ
They also do not always have contests.
www.wwj.com/pages/499582.php

Detroit Free Press/The Detroit News
Usually only ONE contest a month.
www.marketplacedetroit.com/contests/index.php

Anne Carlini -- Exclusive Magazine
LOTS of contests and NOT just for movie screenings. Highly recommended for Michigan!
www.annecarlini.com/ex_giveaways.php

CW 50
Doesn't always have contests.
cw50detroit.com/contests

rated:
Thanks LuvWarrior01-

I am familiar with SD so I will check over there, thanks for the other links!

rated:
You know what really bugs me? When someone has listings for movie screenings, and instead of posting the listing, he has to post a link to his own web site. So we have to go to his site to find the listings. Why not just post the listing on FatWallet, instead of making us go through the extra steps?

rated:
elliedoom said: You know what really bugs me? When someone has listings for movie screenings, and instead of posting the listing, he has to post a link to his own web site. So we have to go to his site to find the listings. Why not just post the listing on FatWallet, instead of making us go through the extra steps?

If you're talking about me, then you must realize that I've uncovered a lot more screening resources, and I just don't have the time to post all that info as I find it. No one has that kind of time. So my once-a-week post just makes sense. If you can't accept that, then don't click over.

If you're not talking about me, then never mind.

rated:
Bonosloveslave-

Pretty much the same sites that LuvWarrior01 posted. I mostly use Fat Wallet, though.

rated:
I got this from them when I tried to opt out:

Your name is in queue to be removed from the www.wildaboutmovies.com database. But, since you entered any number of promotions on our site, (and we have your IP address, name, address and all other info you entered), after agreeing to our TERMS & CONDITIONS --- which include receiving our weekly newsletter, it may take up to 30 days to have your name removed.

Please do not enter any more promotions on our site, or input your email anywhere on www.wildaboutmovies.com, or we will be forced to forward your new entries to your local Attorney General's office, as your entry/entries will be a form of harassment, since you have chosen, even after agreeing to our newsletter, to OPT OUT.

We cannot keep adding and then removing your email address at will. And we will not! If it is ever added to our site again, we will take legal action.

Happy Holidays
www.wildaboutmovies.com

rated:
Too funny. I think Tim Nasson (WAM) has lost it. One of his emails to me said he was banning my IP address from ever entering WAM again--all just because I tried to OPT-OUT from getting his newsletters. Well, since that time I've tried to bring up his site and I can still do it. LOL Oh, and yes he finally removed me from his newsletter list. Took over 6 months. I hope you don't have to wait that long.

rated:
LuvWarrior01 said: One of his emails to meI read that.. the dude is almost psycho.
princessducky said: Happy Holidays
www.wildaboutmovies.com
that's the funny part. haha. WAM sucks.

rated:
How early do people advise getting to popular screenings? I "won" a contest for a Golden Compass screening tonight in Philadelphia, but I think that they chose everyone who signed up for the contest because my girlfriend also won and because they say they are giving out more passes than there are seats. If we get there 45 minutes before the movie begins will that be early enough? Or should we aim for something more like an hour and a half?

rated:
apemanttt said: How early do people advise getting to popular screenings? I "won" a contest for a Golden Compass screening tonight in Philadelphia, but I think that they chose everyone who signed up for the contest because my girlfriend also won and because they say they are giving out more passes than there are seats. If we get there 45 minutes before the movie begins will that be early enough? Or should we aim for something more like an hour and a half?
Glad you posted this on the discussion thread too -- you're more likely to get a helpful response here.

It's so hard to answer your question with any authority. I don't live in Philly, so maybe someone else who does will have more wisdom, but I can tell you that there are some screenings where the factors can be so unfavorable (large number of passes, smaller screening room, high-demand movie) that you may regret leaving the house.

I imagine the interest level of THE GOLDEN COMPASS is going to be high. For the regular screeners, this is probably the first big-movie screening they've had for a few weeks, so they'll want to go. The rest of the general public who received passes will more likely try to make use of them. And the studio's going to want a packed screening, so I'm sure they cast a wide net with the pass distribution.

Do you know anything about the theater that's hosting the screening? Do they tend to put these screenings in their larger rooms? Do they exchange passes for tickets earlier than, say, 6pm? Do they deviate from "first come first serve" to prioritize anyone besides local press?

Obviously, it's not an exact science, but I'm guessing that for a 7pm screening, the safest option (if feasible) is to get there around 5-5:15 and bring a couple of magazines or a book. Then you're either kicking yourself for being ridiculously early or breathing a sigh of relief for not getting screwed like the masses.

rated:
Edge Philadelphia gave out the tickets. The theater is relatively small - they tend to show independent and lesser known films, but they commonly have screenings. The one show I saw there I thought had a decent amount of seats (but relatively not much for a screening like this I would guess).

me said: Screening Information ::
12/4
7:00pm
Ritz 5

Special Notes ::

- Your name has been added to a guest list for admission to the
screening. Please arrive early - seating is first come first served.
If you haven't entered your complete name and email information, you
will not be admitted to the theatre.
oo
- Please be prompt. Seats at the screening will be first come, first
served. Please note that ticket distribution always exceeds actual
seating.

- If you are unable to make the screening, you do not need to let us know.

So it appears they just seat people and don't give out tickets? Crap...

Here is what they are currently playing: http://www.ritztheaters.com/showtimes/index.php?theater_id=2&theater_date=2007-12-04

It looks like it will be playing on whatever screen Into the Wild or Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is playing on... Too bad - if I had missed out on Golden Compass I would have wanted to see Into the Wild...

Any thoughts?

rated:
apemanttt said: Edge Philadelphia gave out the tickets. The theater is relatively small - they tend to show independent and lesser known films, but they commonly have screenings.
Bear in mind that Edge Philadelphia is almost certainly not the only pass provider for this screening. Local radio stations and websites like Philly.com will also get in on the action.

I recognize "Ritz Five" from the Fox Searchlight free screening pages. I'm guessing the screening rooms fit about 200 people, then. That's probably not nearly enough.

If they're not exchanging passes for tickets (some theaters follow that practice), then you should be aware of 2 things:

1. It's very hard to hold a seat for someone who's coming to join you later.
2. Go really early and hope the lobby is bright enough for magazine or book reading.

I imagine a large number of seemingly on-time arrivals (who might get there as early as an hour before showtime) will be sent away, disappointed. But the studio will see the packed room and conclude it was a successful screening. Poor planning: I've seen it happen. If you get a chance to see it, and many others don't, then make sure you explain the problem to the studio rep afterwards, so that you're never the one who gets screwed by these lazy practices.

rated:
fastlearner said: apemanttt said: Edge Philadelphia gave out the tickets. The theater is relatively small - they tend to show independent and lesser known films, but they commonly have screenings.
Bear in mind that Edge Philadelphia is almost certainly not the only pass provider for this screening. Local radio stations and websites like Philly.com will also get in on the action.

I recognize "Ritz Five" from the Fox Searchlight free screening pages. I'm guessing the screening rooms fit about 200 people, then. That's probably not nearly enough.

If they're not exchanging passes for tickets (some theaters follow that practice), then you should be aware of 2 things:

1. It's very hard to hold a seat for someone who's coming to join you later.
2. Go really early and hope the lobby is bright enough for magazine or book reading.

I imagine a large number of seemingly on-time arrivals (who might get there as early as an hour before showtime) will be sent away, disappointed. But the studio will see the packed room and conclude it was a successful screening. Poor planning: I've seen it happen. If you get a chance to see it, and many others don't, then make sure you explain the problem to the studio rep afterwards, so that you're never the one who gets screwed by these lazy practices.

Thanks for you help. It's very generous of you - most people wouldn't take the time to write out such detailed responses. Thanks a lot!

rated:
Hi Apeman,

In regard to how early you should arrive to a free preview screening depends on the popularity of the movie. In my opinion, The Golden Compass will be very popular and you should arrive 1.5 to 2 hours early if you don't want to sit in the front row or worse not get it to see it. Past experience for me as been based on the popularity of the movie. One time I arrived 60 mins before a movie and my friend and I were the last to get into the theatre. The people behind us (we didn't know them) were very upset. Another time I arrived 1.5 hours early and I was the 3rd person there. A handful of people arrived in the next 30 mins, with the majority arriving 30-45 mins early. Hope this helps.

rated:
In Philly, for screenings at any Ritz theater I usually get there 40 minutes early and I have no problem getting a seat. They do exchange the passes for tickets, so you can get the ticket and go pick up food. They also allow you to bring in food from the outside. For a big movie like Golden Compass, I'll get there an hour early. Getting there an hour early I was one of the first people there for Golden Compass on Dec. 4th. Only for a summer blockbuster would you have to get there 1.5 hours early.
Now, for screenings at a theater called Riverview you have to always get there at least an hour early. To be sure you get in you should get there 1.5 hours early. The theater is big but it's always way overbooked.
For screenings at Philly's best theater, The Bridge, you are ok getting there 30 minutes early, except for summer blockbusters. Get there an hour early for those.

rated:
mrHKmovie said: In Philly, for screenings at any Ritz theater I usually get there 40 minutes early and I have no problem getting a seat. They do exchange the passes for tickets, so you can get the ticket and go pick up food. They also allow you to bring in food from the outside. For a big movie like Golden Compass, I'll get there an hour early. Getting there an hour early I was one of the first people there for Golden Compass on Dec. 4th. Only for a summer blockbuster would you have to get there 1.5 hours early.
Now, for screenings at a theater called Riverview you have to always get there at least an hour early. To be sure you get in you should get there 1.5 hours early. The theater is big but it's always way overbooked.
For screenings at Philly's best theater, The Bridge, you are ok getting there 30 minutes early, except for summer blockbusters. Get there an hour early for those.

Cool - I probably saw you there since I was also one of the first 10 or so people there. Do you know of any upcoming screenings in Philly?

rated:
apemanttt said: Do you know of any upcoming screenings in Philly?
Dude, what about all these?

I'm trying to look out for you and everybody. Well, everybody who's willing to click over.

rated:
I know it isn't polite to highlight ones obvious mental deficiencies but the lack of self-awareness is amusing. Next month will be one year of opting out of every single newsletter he has sent in that time frame with the same old lies and threats and not yet figuring out how to honor and respect its past users opt out requests.

Your email address - which you inputted into our database, originally, will be successfully removed from the www.spamsiteremoved.com database within 28 days.

Do not enter your email address after OPTING OUT - ever again - or you will be subject to criminal proceedings! Why? Because you will have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and then have reneged, which is punishable by law!

Happy Holidays!
www.spamsiteremoved.com

rated:
If anyone has one ticket to the screening of Sweeney Todd tonight in Philadelphia, I'd like to buy it. I have a couple passes but feel bad leaving one of my friends behind because I don't have enough tickets. Maybe we'll just try to buy one from someone at the theater...

rated:
Hey - has anyone had any luck with ytic.com in getting free tickets to advanced screenings?

Here are the two issues I've had with them -

1) When I have won, they haven't sent me an e-mail notifying me until days after the screening.

2) They have not picked any winners, so I do not know whether I won or lost, an hour or less prior to the screening. It seems like they are picking after the screening, which defeats the point.

Has anyone had any bad or good experiences with them? I sent an e-mail explaining the same two issues, but haven't heard back.

rated:
To answer the YTIC question:

I have had pretty good luck winning from them, but I am very selective as to which screenings I enter. Meaning, don't enter two screenings on the same night. The issue I have is they seem to send out the e-mail either the day of the screening or the day before the screening. That is wrong. They should note something on their web page to the effect of, if you don't hear back from us by the this date and this time, then you haven't won. Someone from YTIC sometimes shows up 10 minutes before the line is allowed in to check names. Again, inexcuseable.

Sometimes I have logged into their site to see if I have won, since an e-mail didn't arrive.

Now here is my question to the rest of the US. Is it just Washington DC or do all cities have the problem with overbooking screenings? I mean, it seems there are too many hands in the cookie jar. How hard is this - take the number of seats in the theater, subtract the press seats, divide that number by 2, and there is the amount of passes to give out. Maybe, add 5% to the final total to cover no-shows. I have seen times where at least 100 people get turned away because there are too many sponsors with "open" passes. That should not happen. Also, mix up the theaters. Some theaters in DC simply can't handle a crowd, but if you go a little outside the Beltway, the theaters are bigger. Critics will find a way there if they want to see the movie bad enough, trust me, they get plenty of notice.

rated:
delete

rated:
Hi all, I got a pass to the premiere of 10,000 B.C. (in Hollywood's Grauman's Chinese Theatre). How early should I arrive? I've been to a screening before but not a premiere, and I just arrived half an hour before it starts. Is there any main difference between a screening and premiere? (I heard that most of the seats are reserved for cast, filmmakers and associates so the passes are generally useless...)

Also, anyone knows if the Chinese theatre let people exchange passes for real tickets? Coz' I really want to see stars walking the red carpet (if there is one?) as well. Please give me some tips for going to a premiere! Thanks all!

rated:
Sorry for this question that might be answered a lot already, but How do you get Free movie screenings?

I am kinda tired to go thru each post.

rated:
I always just click to the last page of the post and see what are the new ones.

Free Movie Page

rated:
I am just wondering if anyone ever finds movie screenings for San Diego, CA. I always check, and I never see anything. Thanks

rated:
Greetings fat wallet free movie screening lovers.
I am a newbie, however I have been reading and using the free movie screening thread here for sometime. I never really had anything to post so I didn’t sign up until now. I have been learning and fishing for on-line free movie screenings for about a year. I sometimes find screenings that are not posted here so I guess now I have something to offer the thread.
At the time of this post unfortunately I have nothing to offer as far as screenings go but I will post them when I come across them.

I live in Warren MI and currently go to screenings at the Birmingham palladium and Uptown 8, The Southfield Star, The Novi Imagine, and all of the Landmark Theatres.

Unfortunately there are countless screenings at these theatres that I am missing, does anyone know of any other way to get in besides film metro and all the other known on-line resources?

Hit me up if you’ve got the golden ticket info.

TBE…

rated:
What i don't get is why this is getting red. Dude offers up passes and get's red?
JediFreeStuff said: Sorry for this question that might be answered a lot already, but How do you get Free movie screenings?

I am kinda tired to go thru each post.
The easiest way to subscribe to the thread so you'll a notice every time someone posts new screenings. Eventually your city will pop up.

rated:
The theatre for Hancock collected all cellphones and anything that had a screen, even old black and white ipods, and put them in manila envelopes. There was a guy with a metal detector wand. Some people got in with phones by playing dumb, but then pulled them out in the theatre after they sat down and were told to go back out and give them up. Ironically, there were these guys after the movie that whipped laptops from somewhere and another guy had a large device with a screen I saw glowing, maybe blackberry/iphone like. Initially I thought "press/critic?" but I asked the wand guy about the laptop dudes at the end when we were getting phones back, and he said that they weren't as far as he knew and that they tried their best to keep all devices out. How these guys got thru, or WHY they whipped out a laptop right after the movie is a mystery.

Was a chicago screening. They mentioned before the movie that S0ny told them to do it. lol.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014