got called for using staples' coupon

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
yayawoo said: Nobody would have access to my coupon so this indicated the Staples system was hacked.
I wouldn't actually say their system was hacked. Someone just managed to guess your 16-digit coupon code based upon a known construct, 5-digit coupon code + 10-digit customer rewards number + 1-digit sequence code. I'm not exactly sure what they call that last 1-digit code, just guessing.

If Stap1es wanted to ensure that only the recipient can use the coupon, they can design their system to assign the coupon to a specific online or rewards account. There is no coupon code to give out, you can elect to use it when you place your online order or in-store by giving them your account #. There is no means to "transfer" the coupon unless you want to give someone else your account #.

The only scenario where this coupon system would not work well is if Stap1es wants to go after new customers by offering coupons in newspaper, store promotions, or online advertisement (like the recent weather.com ad). Obviously, new customers will not have an account with them. Maybe they can compromise and still offer the low value coupon ($10 off 50 or $15 off $75) through the normal 16-digit code and assign the high value coupon ($30 off $150 or $50 off $200) to only customers with an account with them.

Just my 2.

The other night I used a 5 digit code for % off of $200, thought it was legit (found a Fatwallet post with brief message at midnight, seriously had no idea about 5 digit hacks until after I ordered and then revisted the thread where I found it). It rang up perfect. Long story short... by 1am they had removed the % coupon from the order and charged the difference to my credit card. Now keep in mind I order roughly $2k in supplies a qtr with this account, I thought they would just throw it in to keep me happy. No such luck, needed the items anyways and was just looking to save a few bucks by running into this coupon. They never said a word, the discount simply disapeared from the order and no word on the added charge, it just increased without authorization, I called them the next morning just to make sure my account was not marked for death and the CSR said the order went through normal, no mention of coupon reversal from CSR. I hear some accounts get their address black-listed, guess Staples is smart enough to not black list small business owners like me, but I was worried for a day or two. I agree, they should fix their system, the code should work like Dell's (either it has been redeemed, max use exceeded or nothing at all).

well I wont be buying any more eBay coupons.

as for why they are around and so cheap.

unless the coupon is worth a huge amount I dont think 90% of people would pay more then a trival amount. it is a coupon after all.

As for why theres so many. Beats me, I always figured alot of people got on alot of lists. Just like Dell coupons. I never really thought about how they got the coupons.

And if the coupon was bunk, then yup Staples has the right to cancel the coupon. However They should have at least notified me about it... which they didn't.

Lastly. If Staples was serious about stoping fake coupons they could do ethier: Fix the system; Go after the sellers. Its not like eBay doesn't kill listing's asap if notified from a company rep that they are in some sort of violation. Alot of companies on eBay activly monitor listings.

So yes we should not use bogus coupons, but Staples should also fix their system.

bballcards said: gore said: michal1980, if you read this thread, some people are already calling a normal coupon buyer like you, criminal, fraud, thieve, guilty, etc.
I simply don't buy the argument that people don't know these coupons are fraudulent/computer-generated. Ask yourself--how many $50/$200 or $30/150 do you legitimately receive via catalog/email? Very, very few (if any). Then ask yourself--how many coupons do these sellers have? 50? 100? How could anyone possibly get that many legitimate coupons, and why would they sell them so cheaply? You people have common sense (at least I hope so). Not using this common sense doesn't make you innocent.

Wow. I am impressed. Staples should hire you as their PR spokesperson on FW/SD against coupon abuse.

michal1980 said: well I wont be buying any more eBay coupons.

unless the coupon is worth a huge amount I dont think 90% of people would pay more then a trival amount. it is a coupon after all.

As for why theres so many. Beats me, I always figured alot of people got on alot of lists. Just like Dell coupons. I never really thought about how they got the coupons.

And if the coupon was bunk, then yup Staples has the right to cancel the coupon. However They should have at least notified me about it... which they didn't.

Lastly. If Staples was serious about stoping fake coupons they could do ethier: Fix the system; Go after the sellers. Its not like eBay doesn't kill listing's asap if notified from a company rep that they are in some sort of violation. Alot of companies on eBay activly monitor listings.

So yes we should not use bogus coupons, but Staples should also fix their system.

Dell coupons on eBay are also fake, but Dell does not care.

While I do occasionally get legit coupons in the mail or borrow them from friends, I, for one, know these coupon codes are computer generated. If it weren't for the coupons on eBay, I'd have no reason to shop at Staples, especially for tech items. Their prices are usually way over inflated. Between frys.com and the fact that I'm fortunate enough to live near a couple of Frys B&M, Staples without coupons can't really compete. Better to price match at CC where you can get another 5% off with their visa or Office Max who gives 115% price match.

I do like the conspiracy theory that Staples is behind the coupons on eBay. They could release just enough to stimulate sales, then reign it in with a few strategically placed calls when it gets out of control. But I digress.

I think Staples knows there are a lot of fake coupon there, which is the reason 4% FatCash gone and 5% rewards gone. Currently there are a lot of $50.00 off $200.00 coupon, actually those coupons are equal to the $30.00 of $200.00 coupon before, which I alway received every several weeks.
I personally has my own business. When I give out my coupons to my customers, I always figured out coupon value into my cost. Staples always overprices their stuff, I am sure Staples is still making money after coupon for most of their stuff.
IMO, Staples should be responsible for those fake coupons, it is fixalbe problem, they just could not make their mind. Staples knows some of customers will never show up if no coupon is available.

Bmr4life said: michal1980 said: well I wont be buying any more eBay coupons.

Dell coupons on eBay are also fake, but Dell does not care.

No, they arent.

How about those $15 off $75 we all downloaded from the Staples Tax adv. shown on the MSNBC news sites?? Are those ok?? Hope these were not a scam, any info on them?

Any new ones? Hope we don't get the federales after us for using them. I guess I purchased about $400 total using that coupon. If it were not for it, I wouldn't have bought the junk.

Am I the only one who legitimately gets these coupons in the mail? I work at a bank and have a Staples rewards card. I get huge catalogs with the coupons on the front cover. I also get mailings from them with cards (like gift cards) with the codes on them. Right now, I have two $30 off $150 cards, a $50 off $200 coupon, a $30 off $150 coupon, and I just gave away a code I received in an email from them for $20 off $150. When I don't use them myself, I just post them on here or PM them to members.

coupons are based on spending habit (the more you spend the less you get) & region. i know chicago had a TON of coupons when all the stores opened in that region.

GrayWraith said: Am I the only one who legitimately gets these coupons in the mail? I work at a bank and have a Staples rewards card. I get huge catalogs with the coupons on the front cover. I also get mailings from them with cards (like gift cards) with the codes on them. Right now, I have two $30 off $150 cards, a $50 off $200 coupon, a $30 off $150 coupon, and I just gave away a code I received in an email from them for $20 off $150. When I don't use them myself, I just post them on here or PM them to members.

ygpm

1. All Staples' coupons are non-transferable; no matter you bought the Legit one from eBay or get it from your friends; Staples has right to cancel your orders.

2. Each first 5-digits can be used under your name and shipping address ONCE only; if you used multiple times, please don't blame anyone; you are abusing the coupons.

3. If you use coupons and pricematch with other companies, you will be blacklisted if they figured out.

4. For those 50/200 or other crazy coupons such as 25/25 or 50/50, we know that Staples does not like people use those coupons; if you still want to try your luck, you need to take your own risk; Staples may charge you the full price.

wahooo12345 said: 3. If you use coupons and pricematch with other companies, you will be blacklisted if they figured out.Not necessarily. The issue is that people buy a $200 item and use a $50 coupon. Then they'll PM to somewhere making the end cost $10 when realistically they shouldnt be able to use the coupon since the before-coupon price is below the coupon requirements.

Is it that difficult for Staples to change the method/algorithm they use to generate coupon codes?

RapaciousEbayer said: GrayWraith said: Am I the only one who legitimately gets these coupons in the mail? I work at a bank and have a Staples rewards card. I get huge catalogs with the coupons on the front cover. I also get mailings from them with cards (like gift cards) with the codes on them. Right now, I have two $30 off $150 cards, a $50 off $200 coupon, a $30 off $150 coupon, and I just gave away a code I received in an email from them for $20 off $150. When I don't use them myself, I just post them on here or PM them to members.

ygpm

Never got it.

GrayWraith said: Am I the only one who legitimately gets these coupons in the mail? I work at a bank and have a Staples rewards card. I get huge catalogs with the coupons on the front cover. I also get mailings from them with cards (like gift cards) with the codes on them. Right now, I have two $30 off $150 cards, a $50 off $200 coupon, a $30 off $150 coupon, and I just gave away a code I received in an email from them for $20 off $150. When I don't use them myself, I just post them on here or PM them to members.

Most probably you have used your office email for your account.

I never know these coupons are fake until today when I searched for a related matter and read this thread. I only ordered twice from Staples in my whole life and am very dispointed now. I bought 1 coupon on eBay few weeks ago. Used for the first order. The coupon worked. But Staples cancelled the order due to OOS. CS told me I can transfer that coupon for next order because it was not used. Since the coupon was expired by then, I was told I can just mention my previous order number, and they'd honor the coupon.

Placed another order last week, and asked carefully about coupon. CS said it is ok to use. They told me to pay full price first (which is way over expensive without coupon), then they will credit the coupon within 5 business days.

They shipped the order extremely fast (next day). 5 days passed, no credit. No information, no notification. Chat with CS, and was told they will not honor the coupon because it was not mine. They said they keep a list of who they issued the coupons, and the coupons sold on some pricing website are not valid.

All of my communications with Staples staff are through chat, and I keep a copy of all chatlog.

I dont want this item at their high price without coupon. Even with coupon, it is still a few bucks more expensive than my Dell order, but I had to cancel the Dell's order because they delayed the shipping and I needed it earlier. The bad thing is, I already used the item from Staples and unable to return

I feel like I am cheated. I had no clue that the coupon was fake. Why when I mentioned about the coupon to CS, (s)he still told me it is good? If the coupon was not valid, why did not they inform me BEFORE shipping? That way, I can decide to continue ordering or not. Or at least, after reviewing the coupon and decided that it was not valid, they should have informed me ASAP. They just ignored it. Just let me used the item while expecting the refund. When I found out (again, I contacted them, not they contacted me) they will not honor the coupon and there will be no refund, it is too late for me to return that item and buy it elsewhere at a better price.

If they know they coupons selling outhere are fake, why they did not stop it? I think it is law that you have to make reasonable effort to stop damages for you and for others. This thread is already 6 pages with many views, so Staples obviously know about it. They should inform normal buyers, who do not know that their stupid system is abused and that a bunch of their fake products are sold in public on eBay in a daily bais, when the order changes.

Do they know that if I had known that the coupon would not be honored, I would not buy from them?

First time with Staples, extremely bad experience!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: typo

anny2004 said:
I feel like I am cheated. I had no clue that the coupon was fake. Why when I mentioned about the coupon to CS, (s)he still told me it is good? If the coupon was not valid, why did not they inform me BEFORE shipping?

how would they know you bought a fake coupon on eBay the first time? The second time they checked their records and found you had used a fake ..so they felt cheated.

mnsweeps said: anny2004 said:
I feel like I am cheated. I had no clue that the coupon was fake. Why when I mentioned about the coupon to CS, (s)he still told me it is good? If the coupon was not valid, why did not they inform me BEFORE shipping?

how would they know you bought a fake coupon on eBay the first time? The second time they checked their records and found you had used a fake ..so they felt cheated.

Then they should check it BEFORE shipping me the item. Or at least when they found out even after shipping, they should let me know they will not honor that coupon! They just ignored until I asked.

According to someone on this thread, the coupon code is easily to check. It contains 10 (?) digit customer number. They can find out immediately. I gave the coupon to the rep to make sure it worked. I did not entered online by myself at midnight. They said it was ok, then quietly dishonored it.

Last, they know the coupons are sold on eBay (Rep told me). Why did not they stop it?

anny2004 said: mnsweeps said: anny2004 said:

Then they should check it BEFORE shipping me the item. Or at least when they found out even after shipping, they should let me know they will not honor that coupon! They just ignored until I asked.

According to someone on this thread, the coupon code is easily to check. It contains 10 (?) digit customer number. They can find out immediately. I gave the coupon to the rep to make sure it worked. I did not entered online by myself at midnight. They said it was ok, then quietly dishonored it.

Last, they know the coupons are sold on eBay (Rep told me). Why did not they stop it?

life sucks get over it

and your coupon probably expired after the first time you used it.

eb3604 said:

life sucks get over it

You can use that line to rebuttle just about anything...
It's one of the dumbest ways to try to end an argument.
Ex: Who cares if Bush is not a good president. Life sucks, get over it.
Your grandma just died. Life sucks, get over it.
I can go on and on.

Anyways it is a shame that Staples is punishing a lot of legit customers who just wanted to save money, but it is kind of hard to fix this issue when the company just doesn't want to attempt to fix it.
I always thought that those coupons came from people who have signed up under multiple aliases just to get coupons for reselling purposes.
Didn't know they were fake, but now I know not to buy any eBay Staples coupons.

Trikat said: I always thought that those coupons came from people who have signed up under multiple aliases just to get coupons for reselling purposes.
It doesn't really matter whether they are fake or not. If you use a coupon that doesn't belong to you, Staples can deny it via the "Non-transferable" clause in the T&C's.

Trikat said: eb3604 said:

life sucks get over it

You can use that line to rebuttle just about anything...
It's one of the dumbest ways to try to end an argument.
Ex: Who cares if Bush is not a good president. Life sucks, get over it.
Your grandma just died. Life sucks, get over it.
I can go on and on.

Anyways it is a shame that Staples is punishing a lot of legit customers who just wanted to save money, but it is kind of hard to fix this issue when the company just doesn't want to attempt to fix it.
I always thought that those coupons came from people who have signed up under multiple aliases just to get coupons for reselling purposes.

legit customers don't use counterfeit coupons. the terms of Staples coupons clearly state that coupons are not transferable. so even if they were real coupons, you would still be in violation. and yes I think the phrase "life sucks, get over it" is a perfectly legitimate argument for something as petty as a Staples transaction . other posters on this thread have gotten away with using eBay coupons and have not been caught or charged later on for the coupons value. then the poster complained that the csr would not take his coupon, well just because it worked for other people doesn't mean it will work for you me or him. life isn't always fair. here's another phrase you can bash - suck up and deal

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: If you use a coupon that doesn't belong to you, Staples can deny it via the "Non-transferable" clause in the T&C's.

yes, but as per the topic of this thread, if it isn't fake they cannot require you to repay the amount after the transaction is completed.

My guess is they were relying on anyone who got a call not knowing their rights to process. There is no body of law suggesting one must keep a coupon after a transaction is complete. If you used a valid coupon but they alleged you had gotten the valid coupon illegally, all burdens of proof would rest on Staples and they would need a court order to recharge your card.

Terms and conditions often contain MANY MANY assertions by the promulgator that are either not legal or not enforceable. A case in point would be boilerplate leases which very often contain assertions by landlords that are not legal or are inapplicable due to regularly law or prior case law. They can kitchen-sink all the clauses they want, it does not make them applicable or binding in any way.

himali said: It is still not legit, as all Staples coupons are non-transferable.

gore said: kenmarks said: fivetalents said: I hope that the OP gives the e-b-a-y seller a negative feedback with spells out what will happen if you use that seller's coupon. I don't buy coupons on e-b-a-y because I don't know which are legit/legal.

Simple. None of them are legit. Any other questions we can help with

not true, because I once sold a legit Staples coupon that was sent to me.

on the other hand, all officemax and Dell.com coupons selling on eBay are not generated. so, how could you expect a normal buyer know which are generated and which are not? This makes no sense.

That has no legal backing. If they send the coupons out in the mail, the coupons become property of the people who receive them by federal law and people can sell their property if they want to sell it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014