• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
rated:
Here's a centralized place for us to track gym plans!

Instructions- Edit Quick Summary with your deals according to this template:

CLUB NAME

CITY, STATE
DATE OF DEAL/OFFER
PRICE
DURATION
EXTRAS/INCENTIVES/STIPULATIONS/COMMENTS
YOUR USERNAME

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'm thinking about getting the Costco / 24 Hour Fitness deal and have some questions:

With the $350 membership, can you g... (more)

LongDongSilver (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 9:32a) |

24 Fitness special on their website for the next 27 hours..

All Sport locations for 24.99 and all Super Sports locations ... (more)

Joker10 (May. 02, 2013 @ 10:41p) |

^ would that work for anyone signing up in Canada?

soniasingh (Jul. 04, 2013 @ 8:32p) |

In alphabetical order by gym name

24 Hour Fitness
Date: 11/08
AVG Monthly: $17
Price: $600 PIF (Paid in Full)
Duration: 3 Years
Additional Years: $99 ($99/yr for 4th year and every year after as long as theres no break in membership)
Extras: 4 personal training sessions
Stipulations: All-Sport locations (does not include super sport or ultra sport)
User: koticphreak

User: Nu2Workin

Ballys Total Fitness
Date: 2/07
AVG Monthly: $29
Price: $700 PIF (Paid in Full)
Duration: 2 Years
Extras:
Stipulations: One gym only (i.e. cannot use any other gyms than the one joined); not transferable; no locked in rate
User: stash182

Cardinal Fitness
http://www.cardinalfitness.com/
Date:
AVG Monthly: $19.95 automatically debited from cc
Price: one time enrollment fee of $99
Duration: no contract
Extras: Couples plan $31.95 mo....Family Plan (3 members) $38.95 mo
Stipulations: Cancel anytime with 30 day written notice
User: txflood3

Golds Gym
Date: 1/06
AVG Monthly: $34.99
Price: monthly billed to CC
Extras: monthly price stays same as long as you're a member
Stipulations: No early termination, no transfers
User: amandaw33

LA Fitness

Date: 01/2010
AVG Monthly: $34
Price: First and last months for me and my wife $50 initiation for both of us = $184
Duration: no contract
Extras: No termination fee, no long-term agreement
User: Andrey2506

Date: 07/08
AVG Monthly: $29.40
Price: $950 PIF (Paid in Full) per person. For wife and myself.
Extras: $0 initiation fees; $240 per year (per person) for all future years; valid at all GA locations
User: TonyTouch

Date: 1/08
AVG Monthly: $23.23
Price: $840 PIF (Paid in Full)
Extras: $0 initiation fees; freeze anytime any duration for $35 one time fees
User: fifty2weekhi

Date: 4/07
AVG Monthly: $27
Price: $667 PIF (Paid in Full)
Extras: Lifetime renewal option at this price
Stipulations: $100 penalty for early termination unless you move out of town

Date: 4/01
AVG Monthly: $25 (need coupon that can be found in the mail)
Registration Fee: usually 100, but you can negotiate..if you refer friends it drops even more
Duration: No contract, can freeze your account any time for any period of time
Extras: Can use any LA fitness in the state, free classes (spinning, yoga, etc.), full court hardwood bball
Stipulations: none
User: ima4ltrwrd

Date : 01/2008
Ave Monthly : $25
Registration fee : $50
Duration: No contract, can freeze your account any time for maximum of 6 months for the cost of monthly $10
Extras: Multiclub access
User : ab2pk

Date : July, 2007
AVG Monthly : $35
Registration Fee : $80
Duration : no contract
Extras: Multiclub access
User : shawn96

Date: February, 2007
AVG Monthly: $50
Price: $150 First and Last Month
Duration: No Contract
Extras: Lifetime renewal option at this price. Can use any LA fitness in the state, free classes (spinning, yoga, etc.), full court hardwood bball
User: AVakil

Princeton Club
Date: 11/05
AVG Monthly: $35
Price: $840 PIF (Paid in Full)
Extras: Can use any affiliated gym
Stipulations: No early termination, no transfers, yes hold for $x/mo fee
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

24 hour fitness

Los Angeles, CA
1 year ago
25.99/ month
month to month
all clubs and sport
no extras, incentives or stipulations

Cardinal Fitness
http://www.cardinalfitness.com/
IL, IN, OH, WI
only 1 plan offered all the time
$19.95 a month (automatically debited from cc)...no contract...one time enrollment fee of $99
Couples plan $31.95 mo....Family Plan (3 members) $38.95 mo
Cancel anytime with 30 day written notice
Cardio...Strength training...free weights...personal trainers
Tanning offered for a nominal fee....never checked into it so not sure

24 Hour Fitness
Santa Barbara, CA
1/2006
$24/ Month
Month To Month
USA Cycling Membership

This thread isn't going to be that helpful because the gym rates vary by location. I have a 24 Hour fitness membership and the price varies from gym to gym within the same city because they can offer different promotions at different locations in addition to their standard promotions on their website.

Edit: Btw, just because they gave 1 person a particular deal does not mean that they will give YOU that deal if you go in and ask for it. So what is the point of this thread again?

It's a big help to get an idea of what others are paying for a membership. Even though we all know plans and prices vary from facility to facility, it's still a good barometer of what the market rates are for membership fees.
Thanks OP.

i agree. i dont have a problem with this thread, its good information for all to use as leverage.

24 hr fitness Simi Valley, CA
Month to month
any 24 hr fitness anytime= $42 month (started membership in 05)
Enrollment fee: $54
Processing: $79
first and last up front: $84
TOTAL TO START: $217

Called to cancel last week, they lowered it to $29 per month, but i can only use 1 (my local) 24 hr fitness.

24 hour fitness

San Jose, CA

October 2003
$850 for 3 years
$50 per year after first 3 years

This deal is still around.

Earsly said: 24 hour fitness

San Jose, CA

October 2003
$850 for 3 years
$50 per year after first 3 years

This deal is still around.
I got this same deal in Los Angeles about 6 months before you. It included 5 training sessions (what a waste of my time). A friend of mine got it for $750 for 3 years and $50 per year after that about 1-2 years ago. By the way, these were both all-club memberships, but not the super-sport.

Are there any gym chains in New jersey besides YMCA & NYSC that are worth mentioning?

Excellent idea OP. Please keep posting, so we all know what to look for. I am specially interested in central Jersey locations.

I know this is kind of OT but are all gym plan structured this way? aren't there any clubs where you pay one huge lump sum fee for membership without paying anything after that?

reason why i'm asking is because in the country i grew up in, a lifetime membership means one huge lump sum without any payments thereafter. i think it was like 1500-2000$.

jumped on a group deal 2-3 yrs ago, here on fw. it was at the 24 in glendale, ca; 650 for 3 yrs, 20/yr afterwards. I've added my gf on for $15/month.

The closest I've seen to that is the Paid In Full memberships where you buy X years in advance at a discounted rate. These are usually the best deals. I think the best technique is squeeze the lowest price on them and then add the carrot that you'll do PIF if they take an extra $x off.

OTOH I once had a "lifetime" membership at a karate dojo that lasted the "lifetime" of the dojo which was like 5 years.

omniviper said: I know this is kind of OT but are all gym plan structured this way? aren't there any clubs where you pay one huge lump sum fee for membership without paying anything after that?

reason why i'm asking is because in the country i grew up in, a lifetime membership means one huge lump sum without any payments thereafter. i think it was like 1500-2000$.

CITY, STATE Bay Area
DATE OF DEAL/OFFER All the time
PRICE 65/mo for 26yo+ ; 42/mo for <26yo
DURATION month to month
EXTRAS/INCENTIVES/STIPULATIONS/COMMENTS 25$ processing fee. waved sometimes for promotions

24 hour fitness

Date: March 2007
Price: $455 for 3 years; $50 per year after first 3 years
Duration: 3 yrs
Extras: 5 free trainer sessions
Stipulations: add on to an existing primary member
User: hungluu00

Yikes, my gym (LA Fitness) got featured on our local newsfor lying and cheating customers.

I don't feel ripped off and the sales techniques seem just as sleezy as the other gyms I've been to...

i had a similar "rip off" experience with LA fitness. They would not refund my money even though it was clearly agreed to when I signed up. After I reported them to BBB, they finally caved. They're almost as bad as used car dealers!

I saw a 3 year membership and $50 every year thereafter at $455. How much was the primary membership?

I was offered $1300 for 2 people but basically the previous offer. I was good only for this week. Tried it out and said no. Next week they say we can leave it on the table for another week or two.

Whatever you do don't give them a CC or auto debit. They will stick to you like AOL!

drdublin said: I saw a 3 year membership and $50 every year thereafter at $455. How much was the primary membership ?$455 was his primary membership. covering the first 3 years. Much better than my $640 for 3 years; but I have $20 per year renewal.

How anyone recently been able to get $20 per year renewal ? 24 Hour reps always say it doesnt exist anymore, but thats what they said 5 years ago also ... liars.

Hung,

Is this still valid? I'm interested to sign up for the 3 yrs deal for $455, let me know if anyone successful signup. I'm not sure what you mean add on to existing primary member.

thanks

No, the deal is gone but it might come back. They ran this deal for more than a week in late March.
Basically, the deal was if you know someone who is a primary member(he joined by him self), you could add yourself as a secondary account to his account. Even if he quit later, you are not affected.
What one could have done was
- Add to a primary account that he knows
- 2 people join together, one as primary and one as secondary and split the money
- ask someone to join as a primary account but in a month to month basis, add yourself to this primary account, then have that person cancel his primary account in the next day(they have 5 days money back).

veiko said: Hung,

Is this still valid? I'm interested to sign up for the 3 yrs deal for $455, let me know if anyone successful signup. I'm not sure what you mean add on to existing primary member.

thanks

From my experience most things are negotiable. Has anyone bartered for free workouts or the VIP lockers?

I finally got hooked up with a deal with $499 for 3 yrs and $39 per year after 3 years. and $599 for 3 years and $29 per year after 3 years.

hungluu,

Where did you find this deal? Local newspaper? Online? Thanks.

hungluu00 said: No, the deal is gone but it might come back. They ran this deal for more than a week in late March.
Basically, the deal was if you know someone who is a primary member(he joined by him self), you could add yourself as a secondary account to his account. Even if he quit later, you are not affected.
- 2 people join together, one as primary and one as secondary and split the money
- ask someone to join as a primary account but in a month to month basis, add yourself to this primary account, then have that person cancel his primary account in the next day(they have 5 days money back).

</blockquote>

patshen said: hungluu,

Where did you find this deal? Local newspaper? Online? Thanks.

hungluu00 said: No, the deal is gone but it might come back. They ran this deal for more than a week in late March.

</blockquote>

I talked to a sale person at 24hour and asked him to notify me when they have new deals.</blockquote>

LA Fitness

La Verne, CA
October 2001
Paid $300 down, $24 a month
All clubs nationwide, sports, free classes, freeze membership anytime (still pay $10 a month)
caliness

24 Hour
Fremont, CA
October 2003
Paid $749 first 3 yrs, $20 a year thereafter

All Sport or lower

$750 for 3 years plus training, nutrition, checkup etc for supersport all club access. $29/ year there after

or

$600 with no perks. $49/yr thereafter.

DFW

note - not the ultra sport in CA

Okay, this is probably the most expensive lol (hits self on forehead)

Sports Club/LA (locations: LA, NYC, Miami...)
$450 initiation (maybe more now)
$150 /month

cola262 said: Okay, this is probably the most expensive lol (hits self on forehead)

Sports Club/LA (locations: LA, NYC, Miami...)
$450 initiation (maybe more now)
$150 /month

Is that $150.00 or $1.50 ???

Hi hungluu00

I'm in San Jose. Could you tell me what club in San Jose has this promotion?

Having been a "Fitness Counselor" (Sales Rep) for 24 Hour Fitness a few years ago, I thought I'd give a little insight on how things work, and how to get the best deal.

Every month the Corporate office in Carlsbad sends each club the rate sheets to place in those shiny little binders they flip through when you go in for a tour. And just to clear this up, the local clubs have zero say in what the rates are, with one exception, which I'll explain. So unless the rep you are dealing with is doing something shady, the rates in the book really are the rates. But you CAN get a better deal, and here's how:

1) Ask for the Corporate Plan. There are many companies that actually pay 24 Hour a premium of sorts to offer discounts to their employees. Often times the rep won't mention this, but you should, so that they look up in the computer if your workplace or school is already participating. If they are, then those rates will be less than the month to month and will include all clubs. If that isn't an option. . .

2) Choose the Value Plus plan. This is a 4 day per week, one club only plan. Typically the manager you'll see if you don't go for the other plans in the book will offer this. More often than not, they are able to drop the monthly dues on this plan by $5 less than what is shown in the book.

But you want to go everyday or you want all clubs? Here's how to do that, for less:

About every 60-90 days they run an upgrade promotion where for X dollars you can go every day or for a little more make it all clubs, but the rate is lower and you'll save hundreds by not paying the enrollment fees, since you waited for the promotion rather than just starting with the every day and/or all club membership to begin with!

3) Periodically, and if I recall especially in the 4th quarter, they will begin offering better deals on the Prepaid memberships. While it is obviously more upfront, when they've got a real deal, it is the cheapest way to go. But do it by the end of the year, because as you can imagine rates INCREASE in January for the "New Years Resolution" crowd. (You know who you are )

Also, if you get in at a good time and are happy with your monthly dues, DON'T CANCEL, otherwise they won't give it back to you when you change your mind and decide to return. One good thing is that while they have the right to increase dues as per the membership terms, as of yet they have not, in the history of the company! Which means that there ARE people who joined in the 1980's for example, that are paying $12 a month, or in some cases $12 a year! Because they never canceled, they got to keep that rate even after all these years. The downside is that the memberships are non-transferable, so you weren't around to get it then, you can't get it now.

Other words of advice and caution:

-The personal training is, in my opinion, expensive. Round about $60 an hour, give or take. And no, the trainers don't get all of that. They make $18-22 per training session. (And most only have a few clients a day, so it isn't nearly as lucrative as it sounds.) There are good trainers and there are horrible trainers and unfortunately it's a crap shoot. Here's my suggestion: Ask around. If there is someone in the club that is an especially popular trainer it's either because they are really good or really charming and people like to have them around just because. Before investing in this, you can get what they call "Fit Sessions" or a "Fit Assessment" which is basically where a trainer will take your measurements and check and suggest improvements on your form, demonstrate some equipment, etc. to get to know you and hopefully impress you enough that you want to buy training with them.

-Don't buy the supplements until they go on sale. And like all retail, eventually everything goes on sale. When they run sales there are times that they easily beat the prices you'll find elsewhere, so watch for those. Also, check the clearance priced stuff. This goes without saying to us Fatwalleters, but I've seen clothing go for a few bucks and expensive protein powders for even less. Not because they were expired, but just because they stopped carrying a particular brand or flavor.

I'm happy to answer any questions the group has here. It should be noted that I no longer work for the company and am in the "disgruntled" category as ex-employees go, but I certainly will provide insight where I can. For many of us, 24 Hour is the only convenient option, so I want people to get the best deal they can.

Peace!

24 Hour Fitness in L.A. - $799 for first 3 years, $29 annual renewal thereafter. When they break it down, it's $50 for their Nutri-kit which you probably don't want, $249 for the personal training sessions (ditto), and $551 for the actual 3-year membership.

HOWEVER, in the FINE PRINT it says that only the first year is guaranteed at the $29 renewal rate and that they reserve the right to RAISE THE ANNUAL FEE at any time after that. They say they reserve the right but that they've never used that clause - heh, we'll see. Anyone hear of them actually raising it? Still a good rate at around $207 a year for four years.

I came in cold, no connection to current member. I've heard it helps to go later in the month because they're trying to make their monthly quotas.

By the way, it's all-club (Active, Sport, Fit-Lite, Express) excluding Super Sport and Ultra Sport.

DPA’s List of Health Clubs in California and some with their rates.

http://www.dpa.ca.gov/benefits/health/wellness/Clubsmain.shtm

as of June 9, 2006 so rates may have changed.

chpsnoop

wonderama said: 24 Hour Fitness in L.A. - $799 for first 3 years, $29 annual renewal thereafter. When they break it down, it's $50 for their Nutri-kit which you probably don't want, $249 for the personal training sessions (ditto), and $551 for the actual 3-year membership.

that was the initial deal my 24HR had...I kept holding out (about a 3 weeks) and they caved a little, so I got the deal for $749 w/ the $29 renewal...ends up being around $22 a month...but I didn't get a Nutri Kit...mmmmmmmm....

the other little thing (doesn't make any difference though) is that I pay for 18 months and then get 18 months free...

this was in the Dallas area...

Skipping 250 Messages...
^ would that work for anyone signing up in Canada?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014