Home Depot competitor coupon policy

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was shot down trying to use a printed competitor's coupon (True Value) at Home Depot recently. Anyone know their policy of accepting competitor's coupons? Maybe it's my local HD that sucks?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

newyorkminute said: I was shot down trying to use a printed competitor's coupon (True Value) at Home Depot recently. Anyone know their policy of accepting competitor's coupons? Maybe it's my local HD that sucks?

Mine won't take them either.

it usually depends on the manager on duty. I went to the same location home depot twice. One time in the morning before work and one time after. It was a printed Lowes coupon w/ expiration date that I had from E-mail. The first manager on duty in the morning said no way no how would he take a printed coupon. I pointed how it says "print and save" if it is not intended to be printed how else would I use it? He said coupons are supposed to be on card stock w/ your mailed address printed on it. I said I understand for mailed coupons, but if you get it through email, and it clearly says "print and save" how else are you supposed to use it other than to "print" it? He was not hearing any of it and kept saying they don't take printed coupons.

When I went after work to try my luck there was a new manager on duty. He came out and the CSR explained to him that I had a printed coupon from Lowes. He asked if it had an expiration date and the CSR said yes. He said to take it, no problem like w/ the morning manager about it being printed.

So competitor coupons at HD are YMMV depending on who is working.

BlkBimM3r said: it usually depends on the manager on duty. I went to the same location home depot twice. One time in the morning before work and one time after. It was a printed Lowes coupon w/ expiration date that I had from E-mail. The first manager on duty in the morning said no way no how would he take a printed coupon. I pointed how it says "print and save" if it is not intended to be printed how else would I use it? He said coupons are supposed to be on card stock w/ your mailed address printed on it. I said I understand for mailed coupons, but if you get it through email, and it clearly says "print and save" how else are you supposed to use it other than to "print" it? He was not hearing any of it and kept saying they don't take printed coupons.

When I went after work to try my luck there was a new manager on duty. He came out and the CSR explained to him that I had a printed coupon from Lowes. He asked if it had an expiration date and the CSR said yes. He said to take it, no problem like w/ the morning manager about it being printed.

So competitor coupons at HD are YMMV depending on who is working.

Thanks for your input! I just called their 800 number to complain about this and they put me in contact with a manager on duty at that store I had problem with. It was a different manager and she said they DO take printed coupons as long as the terms are stated something to the fact that it has a bar code, has expiration date, and says instore use. She gave me the name of the top store manager in case I have problems. I guess it does depends on the manager on duty. I will try later on and see how it goes.

I have never had a Home Depot refuse a Lowe's coupon. I have had a cashier look at me once and say "I am sorry sir, but this is Home Depot" (as if I didn't know!) when I handed one to her, but once I explained they accepted them, she processed it without question. I think one other time they cashier was stumped and I told them to get a manager, who approved it. Otherwise, it runs pretty smoothly.

I just wish these places would post a list of "competitors" somewhere so you can avoid shopping thinking you were getting a discount without a possible battle.

I called and talked to the actucal store manager at Lowe's. I used a Sherwin Williams coupon to buy paint at Lowe's. Saved us 20%. Worth the hassel.

I email to HD and Lowe's abt the plm on other competitor's mail and email printed coupons. I got reply from Lowe's and asked me for my location and she told me that Lowes had been contacted and bring the email from her if any plm to show them the email from her. Still no reply from HD. Hmmmm.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014