Cheapest Place to Rent a Moving Truck???

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
HI

I need to rent a truck to move. Anyone know the place that has the cheapest prices??

thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ah, the monthly rental truck thread.

uhaul is the cheapest. but this is one of those times where it's better to spend more...

If you're only moving a studio or 1-bedroom, and you're not driving too far to drop the truck back off where you got it, I would recommended rent-a-wreck. At mine, I can rent a 16' box truck for a day for $69.95.

if your moving in-town try craigslist, you can get a guy + truck on the cheap.

remember the guy will not be insured or anything (not a big deal for me, all my stuff is already broken).

Let's see here:

1. No location.
2. No size requirement.
3. No budget.

Yep, sounds like a Senior Member post on Fatwallet. The winner is you!

To answer your question: Lowes or Home Depot.

Uhaul trucks SUCK! Spend a little bit more and rent from Penske. Hands down the best moving trucks out there. If you have big and heavy items, I'd get one with a Tommy Lift as well.

Well

I called around the last couple of days to find quotes. The best deal i can come up with is with u haul for 30 bucks and 99 cent a mile. That mileage is a real rip off. I contacted Budget they gave me a decent deal but when i called back they said it was a mistake. hehe

Really, with no distance, no size, no idea how long the truck is needed for, if it is one way or not, this is a stupid way of asking for help. All of those things affect what to use.

In my recent experience, I ended up with Enterprise cargo van, which turned out to be far cheaper and easier for what I needed that time, and with Penske truck which was the best thing to use for another time. But, of course, I knew all those factors which affect a decision like that.

With Enterprise, if you move on a Saturday, you can't return the vehicle until Monday. They will charge you for Sunday too.

I just called to ask for a quote and pissed me off.

I myself am moving next week. I calculated the mileage (assuming I have to bring the uhaul cargo van back to its original location). Came out to around $40-50.

I will try a friend w/ a pickup first, then I'll go from there.

If you have access to a car or truck with a trailer hitch you should just rent a trailer(open or enclosed depending on what you need to move). Much much cheaper way to go. No mileage charges and usually easier to load.

fwiffo said: Really, with no distance, no size, no idea how long the truck is needed for, if it is one way or not, this is a stupid way of asking for help. All of those things affect what to use.

In my recent experience, I ended up with Enterprise cargo van, which turned out to be far cheaper and easier for what I needed that time, and with Penske truck which was the best thing to use for another time. But, of course, I knew all those factors which affect a decision like that.

Actually I cant make up my mind where im moving. The one choice is over 200 miles the other is just a cross town move but with insurance and all the fees it'll end up costing over 100 bucks which seems ridiculous to me.

If you have one near you, I am a big fan of Two Men and a Truck. They cost about $100 an hour and you could use them to move the very large and heavy things and do the rest yourself. The company seems to have some sort of incentive program for employees based on how happy the customers are with them, so the movers I had were very courteous and professional-- I gladly called in on their behalf to praise. I also found that they worked steadily and did not waste any of the time I paid for.

I need to move from 14534 to 13210, short move. Uhaul quotes me $140, and penske wants $799??

Whisperwind said: I need to move from 14534 to 13210, short move. Uhaul quotes me $140, and penske wants $799??

That's crazy...I didn't bother checking where those zips are from...but I checked miami to dallas and dallas to california and both were around 350 one way.

-G

www.budgettruck.com, coupon code: fastb, 25% off mon-wed rentals. My cost was $88 for 3 days and 409 miles.

Uhaul

So what did u do? I know enterprise has a code for Homedepot employees for a cargo van for like $45 a day with miles. Its better than budget,penske or uhaul. They charge like 20-30 a day plus upto $1 a mile. With enterprise you could do multiple trips.

Jamare said: So what did u do? I know enterprise has a code for Homedepot employees for a cargo van for like $45 a day with miles. Its better than budget,penske or uhaul. They charge like 20-30 a day plus upto $1 a mile. With enterprise you could do multiple trips. check the coupons in the travel forum. I know each location is different, but I got a cargo van from Enterprise for $28.XX a day and free milage within certain states.

I recently rented a truck looking for the best deal and it was with one of the local storage facilities using their in house truck, they usually reserve it for moving in or out of their facility but when not in use they rented it out for $50.00 with no mileage fees, just fuel.

I've found budget to be the cheapest in the past. Of course based on my past experience it is not where, but when you rent the truck. If you are renting the first week of a month be prepared to pay a premium. If you wait more towards the middle/end of a month in my experience you'll get a better deal. OP, it sounds like you needed on ASAP, but I thought this might be sound advice for others reviewing this thread.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014