Push lawn mower - Lowes will not repair

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I know that I'm going to get flamed for this. I have a self-propelled Toro lawn mower that broke a few weeks ago. It had a 1 year warranty so I returned it to Lowes for repair. Today they tell me that they will not repair the mower because it was run with low oil. I always check the oil level before using any equipment. Lowes said I had no recourse and come pick the mower up. I was upset and sent an email to Toro explaining my dissatifaction and I'm waiting on a response. Any suggestions from other FW's?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

breyno said: I know that I'm going to get flamed for this. I have a self-propelled Toro lawn mower that broke a few weeks ago. It had a 1 year warranty so I returned it to Lowes for repair. Today they tell me that they will not repair the mower because it was run with low oil. I always check the oil level before using any equipment. Lowes said I had no recourse and come pick the mower up. I was upset and sent an email to Toro explaining my dissatifaction and I'm waiting on a response. Any suggestions from other FW's?

Was Lowes right about the oil level?

If so it's the user's responsibility to maintain the equipment properly. I've never seen a warranty cover negligent use.

breyno said: Any suggestions from other FW's?

Buy a goat...a long leash...and tie it to a tree in the center of your yard.

Why didn't you contact the manufacturer directly first? Or did Toro tell you to bring it back to Lowes?

jayK said: Why didn't you contact the manufacturer directly first? Or did Toro tell you to bring it back to Lowes?

Lowes had told me when I bought it, to return it to them if any repairs were required.

henny said: breyno said:
Was Lowes right about the oil level?

If so it's the user's responsibility to maintain the equipment properly. I've never seen a warranty cover negligent use.

I always check the oil level before starting. I don't know any way to argue with Lowes or Toro this point. It's their opinion against my word. It's a difficult situation.

breyno said: jayK said: Why didn't you contact the manufacturer directly first? Or did Toro tell you to bring it back to Lowes?

Lowes had told me when I bought it, to return it to them if any repairs were required.
The Lowes locations in my area aren't even Toro authorized dealers. Contact Toro and find an authorized service location near you.

Read the #2 sticky here.

I had very good luck with BBB, 3 for 3, maybe I'm the exception but it don't cost you a penny anyway.

What's wrong with it?

i would not expect a mower less then 1 year old to leak or burn oil i wouldnt have checked it

(1) Get the mower back, (2) check the oil, (3) if low, chand oil and check for metal filings, (4) contact Toro directly or an authorized service provider for the repair. BTW what was it doing (or not) which required you to take it to Lowes for the repair?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014