where to buy moon cake online this year?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am look a good place to buy moon cake online! anyone help!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It is bit off topic, but did you see the Mattel apology to Chinese toys manufactures? Apparently most of the recall were... (more)

nycll (Sep. 21, 2007 @ 8:26p) |

I saw moon cake at industry & alhambra costco last week, even thought they are much cheaper than others, but I don't rea... (more)

all168 (Sep. 22, 2007 @ 11:22a) |

those thingy should be in May in Lunar calendar. I think US banned China made salt duck egg few years ago, all salt duc... (more)

all168 (Sep. 22, 2007 @ 11:27a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

http://www.bostonbookshop.com/catalog.php?parentid=25

I wonder if the Mooncakes have any egg yolks in them because of the China recalls. I have a craving for the sticky rice thingys wrapped in green leaves but the ones sold in chinatown don't have any egg yolks in them (they are expensive) and my mom who wraps her own said the season has past (usually in May) but will whip me up a batch in November. She told me in NYC asians are making their salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

arn357 said: ...salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

Is this true? What's the reason for the ban? I imagine they used harmful additives in the curing process. Also someone mentioned that you could get moomcakes in costco. I forgot to look last weekend.

nycll said: arn357 said: ...salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

Is this true? What's the reason for the ban? I imagine they used harmful additives in the curing process. Also someone mentioned that you could get moomcakes in costco. I forgot to look last weekend.

Who knows, with China in the news lately with recalls from toys to everything else they make. All I know is that when I purchased my sticky rice wrapped in green leaves the worker there said the egg yolks are not in it and none are being imported into the US (I'm in Boston, MA), another source was my mom in NYC, she said the same and that asians in NY are harvesting (actually it's duck eggs that they use in mooncakes and sticky rice/leaves) duck eggs from ducks raise and feed in the states.

I read an article that there are asian chicken/duck farms in upstate NY that raises and feed these chickens/ducks special feed. In other words they aren't Perdue chickens but better???

nycll said: arn357 said: ...salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

There are mooncakes at assorted costcos.

From related postings:

kevin92285

Date Posted: Sep/09/2007 3:58 PM
Rating: +1

Yeah, I was just at the on in Fremont,CA and I saw a bunch of them.

KingUltra

Date Posted: Sep/09/2007 9:12 PM

also available @ Costco Alhambra, CA

atlanticfisherman said: http://www.bostonbookshop.com/catalog.php?parentid=25
Or order directly from Sheng Kee Bakery where Boston Book Shop gets their stuff (cheaper prices and lower shipping) - http://www.shengkee.com/share/cgi-bin/site.cgi?site_id=shengkee&page_id=mooncakes

Also found Eastern Bakery while googling: http://www.easternbakery.com/

nycll said:

Oh, you mean salt because that is how my folks make them. Seriously though, they still sell salted eggs as far as I know. Only difference nowadays is that they are now sold cooked. Previously, they were sold raw which makes it a hassle now because folks usually just use the yolk.

For those who want to order from New York

http://www.chinasprout.com/htm/shop.html?section=shop&type=F001&mode=search&track=751

Moon Cakes (F001)

You will receive your moon cakes by Moon Festival if you place the order by September 20th noon. For customers who don't live in East Coast, please select 2nd Day Air.

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival will be on September 25, 2007, and many families plan to celebrate this traditional Chinese holiday with their families and friends just like the Chinese do. To help families enjoy this traditional way of celebrating eating moon cakes while looking at the full moon - ChinaSprout offers FRESHLY baked moon cakes from a premium New York Chinatown bakery. Our moon cakes are packed individually and come in a unique collectable tin.

Choose from the following flavors:

Lotus Paste (sweet)
Red Bean Paste (sweet)
Winter Melon Paste (sweet)
Coconut Paste (sweet)
Mixed nuts (salty)

Each order includes four moon cakes. Please specify your preference of flavors when you order. If you don't specify flavors, we will send a mix of four moon cakes. Moon cakes can be kept two months without refrigeration.

You will receive your moon cakes by Moon Festival if you place the order by September 20th noon. For customers who don't live in East Coast, please select 2nd Day Air.

Please specify your flavors on the shopping cart page in the ordering instructions box.

Check out our New 2007 Moon Festival page for more exciting Moon Festival products.

4 Pieces, 3" Dimension

Our Price: US$19.95

"Sorry, this product is currently out of Stock"

atlanticfisherman said: For those who want to order from New York

http://www.chinasprout.com/htm/shop.html?section=shop&type=F001&mode=search&track=751

Moon Cakes (F001)

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival will be on September 25, 2007, and many families plan to celebrate this traditional Chinese holiday with their families and friends just like the Chinese do. To help families enjoy this traditional way of celebrating eating moon cakes while looking at the full moon - ChinaSprout offers FRESHLY baked moon cakes from a premium New York Chinatown bakery. Our moon cakes are packed individually and come in a unique collectable tin.

Choose from the following flavors:

Lotus Paste (sweet)
Red Bean Paste (sweet)
Winter Melon Paste (sweet)
Coconut Paste (sweet)
Mixed nuts (salty)

Each order includes four moon cakes. Please specify your preference of flavors when you order. If you don't specify flavors, we will send a mix of four moon cakes. Moon cakes can be kept two months without refrigeration.

Please specify your flavors on the shopping cart page in the ordering instructions box.

Check out our New 2007 Moon Festival page for more exciting Moon Festival products.

4 Pieces, 3" Dimension

Our Price: US$19.95

FunnyStuff said: nycll said:

Oh, you mean salt because that is how my folks make them. Seriously though, they still sell salted eggs as far as I know. Only difference nowadays is that they are now sold cooked. Previously, they were sold raw which makes it a hassle now because folks usually just use the yolk.

If it is your folds making them obviously it would be fine. Problem is what other substances that got introduced in the production process. That's why i brought up costco--when in doubt, costco i trust. BTW, it might be only west coast warehouses.

lydiachang said: atlanticfisherman said: http://www.bostonbookshop.com/catalog.php?parentid=25
Or order directly from Sheng Kee Bakery where Boston Book Shop gets their stuff (cheaper prices and lower shipping) - http://www.shengkee.com/share/cgi-bin/site.cgi?site_id=shengkee&page_id=mooncakes

Also found Eastern Bakery while googling: http://www.easternbakery.com/

hehe Clinton loves em mooncakes at Sheng Kee.

Btw just because it's Chinese Moon Festival doesn't mean all those moon cakes are from China...
Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and few other SE Asia countries makes them also. Few companies are making them fresh in the USA, especially if it's got egg yolks. Custom can't inspect egg products (bird flu) that's within the moon cake so they just outright banned it. I think they pissed off a lot of Asian when that went into effect.

Are moon cakes a sort of chinese pastry that goes with tea?

What do they taste like?

Thanks,

IrateConsumer

These are pastries that are filled with red bean paste as a base. The variables are nuts, dried fruits, egg yolks, meats. These are pretty rich/filling, so you would consume it with tea. Typically the cake is cut into 4-6 pieces and shared with others. The size of the moon cake is around the can of tuna.

Eastern Bakery in SF has been making them for ages. BTW, there are pictures of Clinton in the bakery in a past visit to SF, he gets around.

http://www.keewah.us/homepage.html

I recently got 6 boxes of mooncakes to give to friends/family for 25% off. Friend's friend is an employee. Yay!

nycll said:
If it is your folds making them obviously it would be fine. Problem is what other substances that got introduced in the production process. That's why i brought up costco--when in doubt, costco i trust. BTW, it might be only west coast warehouses.

I think my point was that the reasoning behind the shortage of salted eggs is probably due to something else like bird flu where they had to destroy thousands of poultry. So what few eggs are out there are now being sold at a premium price.

Just wondering, what region do people put meat or dried fruit in their mooncakes?

atlanticfisherman said: nycll said: arn357 said: ...salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

There are mooncakes at assorted costcos.
Costco stocks imported ones, if that is important to anyone. Last year, they were from Malaysia.

Best to go to the local Asian place where they make their own cake. These moon cake is best when it's fresh. And do becareful when eating it b/c the material inside don't last very long even when all wrapped.

My family usually go to VA to get them.

these just sound nasty. sorry, but they do. melon paste? {{{shudder}}}

get a red bean or lotus seed flavor for beginners. Their sweet and paste like texture is delicious for anyone. it's not "cake".

SARABRIANNE said: these just sound nasty. sorry, but they do. melon paste? {{{shudder}}}

Don't knock it til you try it, White girl.

Hmm maybe I'll get some dim sum for lunch. Mmm, I love me some chicken feet. =)

Mattel might have some with lead paint.

These things are far from nasty tasting, but I can't say they are my favorite snack.

arn357 said: I wonder if the Mooncakes have any egg yolks in them because of the China recalls. I have a craving for the sticky rice thingys wrapped in green leaves but the ones sold in chinatown don't have any egg yolks in them (they are expensive) and my mom who wraps her own said the season has past (usually in May) but will whip me up a batch in November. She told me in NYC asians are making their salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

Because of the number of Chinese in the country now, it's not cost effective to import them from China anymore, so most Moon Cakes that you find in Asian markets now are manufactured in the US, not in China. Just read the label on the tin to find out. Happy Moon Festival!

I'm so happy to find this thread! I've been craving moon cakes for a few months now. I didn't see any mooncake at the costco in Norwalk, CA, but i didn't look that hard. I'll check out Signal hill, then off to alhambra!

It is bit off topic, but did you see the Mattel apology to Chinese toys manufactures? Apparently most of the recall were due to small magnets, which is a design problem. Only a small fraction of the recently massive recalls were due to lead. Too bad for the protectionist politicians who wanted to scare up a few votes.

I saw moon cake at industry & alhambra costco last week, even thought they are much cheaper than others, but I don't really like their moon cake last year.

those thingy should be in May in Lunar calendar. I think US banned China made salt duck egg few years ago, all salt duck egg in the market are made locally. IMO, those made locally may not even pass any inspection from USDA or whatever. I am making my own salt chicken egg since duck egg are too expensive in the market so I don't have to go thought USDA inspection.

jjhon said: arn357 said: I wonder if the Mooncakes have any egg yolks in them because of the China recalls. I have a craving for the sticky rice thingys wrapped in green leaves but the ones sold in chinatown don't have any egg yolks in them (they are expensive) and my mom who wraps her own said the season has past (usually in May) but will whip me up a batch in November. She told me in NYC asians are making their salted egg yolks because none are allowed to be imported into the US.

Because of the number of Chinese in the country now, it's not cost effective to import them from China anymore, so most Moon Cakes that you find in Asian markets now are manufactured in the US, not in China. Just read the label on the tin to find out. Happy Moon Festival!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014