• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
If I click on a link, I just get their support page to report a problem and don't see anything on the site regarding upgrades. It's not a phishing mail and is from Tracfone. Business as usual at Tracfone.

URGENT MESSAGE:
YOUR TRACFONE SERIAL NUMBER xxxxxxxx REQUIRES AN IMMEDIATE FREE UPGRADE.

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to thank you for being a great customer and take this opportunity to inform you TDMA/ANALOG networks will be replaced by another technology in your area. Once this change is complete, your current TracFone will be unable to make or receive calls, send or receive text messages or access other wireless services. So that you may benefit from these network changes, TracFone will provide a phone upgrade compatible with these changes, FREE of charge. This new technology provides you with many advantages such as better voice quality, digital features and extended battery life.

Simply click here to submit your serial number and verify your shipping address.
Hurry, this FREE phone upgrade offer is available for a limited time.

Thank You,
TracFone Wireless

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Maybe all your friends having to make a long distance call to call is you is no big deal. I really don't want to put my ... (more)

tracfoner (Nov. 14, 2007 @ 12:25p) |

I don't know where you live, but it sounds like Tracfone ran out of local numbers for your locale. You might try to conf... (more)

headscratcher (Nov. 14, 2007 @ 3:18p) |

Tracfone's TDMA/Analog service is discontinuing. Just plug in your imei online and click submit. For more information, t... (more)

Doodlebug1234 (Nov. 19, 2007 @ 4:59p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I used to work at RadioShack and we dealt with TracFone quite a bit...what phone do you have?

I know that they are weeding out some of the older models of phones that do not have GPS capability, as GPS in the phone is now required by law. Basically what will happen is they will send you a new phone and then you can either call in, or go to a store (like RadioShack or another Tracfone dealer) and have your telephone number and minutes transfered over.

This is probably just standard procedure. If they had to gather any information from you (phone #, ESN, etc) then they will know if your phone is out of date...

I am surprised to read that anyone is still using an analog phone. I was forced to upgrade many years ago, and was very surprised at the improved range and much longer battery life.

I don't really understand what you're implying. That I have an antique? Maybe so, but I've had it less than a year and bought it new. I could care less about analog vs. digital. I'm not a cell phone addict like so many I see everywhere I go. I only have it so my family can call me if needed or I break down somewhere on the road. To keep it activated costs me $7.00 a month if I don't use it vs. $50 and up for a regular cell phone plan. My parents both have an even older model than mine. Their's are probably a whopping 2 years old and have the little stub antenna! They don't use them and only have them for emergencies and never even use their airtime. Again, the cost is about $7 a month vs. $50 or month for a regular plan and with all the gizmos they and I could care less about. My dad occasionally goes out of state for tractor shows etc. and he can call my mom from anywhere or receive a call. Analog is good.

Mine's a 1221. My parents phones are model 5100. I only got a notification for upgrade because I've bought airtime online. They haven't ever done so, so I wonder how Tracfone will notify people like that?

I actually bought a net10 phone after I bought my tracfone because of the 10 cents per minute. I had it a couple of months and twice, all my minutes suddenly disappeared. Once I had 300 minutes on it and lost them all. I called net10 and they told me the phone was defective and would send me a new one. I waited a couple of weeks and called them again. Then they said they would not be sending me a phone. They said there wasn't coverage for my area even though I had a phone number from the closest town 12 miles away when it went defective. So I lost around $100 on that deal because of the airtime I had bought and the price of the phone ($50 at the time). The return period had just run out about the same time so WalMart wouldn't refund me, so I lost big time. That's when I went back and re-activated the Tracfone. It has a truly local phone number and I think the digitals may not have coverage in my area, so this upgrade may mean me and my folks will all lose our local numbers. I think Tracfone/net10 are really losers of a company actually. The tracfones, whenever I use them, talk just fine and I've never had a reception problem. My brother has the latest razr phone with all the goodies and pays ungodly rates every month and I've never talked to him from my landline when his phone didn't lose the signal or just sound awful. Analog is good.

Oh, and my battery life is great. I really never use the phone and only recharge it once a week. It's never went dead. And the range is great too but people I talk to on their digitals always lose signal or sound bad. Again, analog is good.

From my experiences at Radio Shack, I would find it hard to believe they would transfer the phone for me. I actually think this is going to cause a lot of problems for a lot of people and many are going to lose their local phone numbers. I've been thru all this before. There are millions of phones out there like mine that are being used.

Keep in mind that Tracfone does not own their own networks, but uses other carrier's networks, which are moving away from TDMA (AT&T TDMA Service Sunset. As the analog networks continue to be phased out, your coverage will only get worse, and may disappear entirely in some areas. Even carriers continuing to provide analog service are generally not accepting new customers.

Leasing analog network time costs Tracfone more than digital networks, which is why they are willing to swap out your analog phone.

tracfoner said: I don't really understand what you're implying. That I have an antique? Maybe so, but I've had it less than a year and bought it new. I could care less about analog vs. digital. I'm not a cell phone addict like so many I see everywhere I go. I only have it so my family can call me if needed or I break down somewhere on the road. To keep it activated costs me $7.00 a month if I don't use it vs. $50 and up for a regular cell phone plan. My parents both have an even older model than mine. Their's are probably a whopping 2 years old and have the little stub antenna! They don't use them and only have them for emergencies and never even use their airtime. Again, the cost is about $7 a month vs. $50 or month for a regular plan and with all the gizmos they and I could care less about. My dad occasionally goes out of state for tractor shows etc. and he can call my mom from anywhere or receive a call. Analog is good.

If you have a Tracfone phone that new, it has to be a digital phone - naturally with TDMA analog capability. When you mentioned that you have to upgrade your phone to digital, I would assume you have a 7-10 year old unit. Keep in mind that digital phones switch to analog as needed. It's not possible to get a week of standby on an analog phone, so it must be switching to digital. Your location must still have an analog tower as your main provider - and it's about to shut down within the year, with digital taking it's place. I am guessing you are in a remote rural area?

If it weren't for digital, the sheer number of cell phones in use could not be supported. Digital gave us cheap phone rates (thanks to seemingly everybody having them), better signal, better sound quality, longer battery life and so on. If the nation - heck world, hadn't changed to digital, you could not walk into WalMart and buy a Tracfone for $20. Your area must be weak on digital now, which is why those who are using digital are having issues. When everybody is digital, and the signal is there - you won't look back.

Look at this another way. If you were in a major market, the tables would be turned. An analog phone would have poor reception at best - no service at all in many cases. Yet someone standing beside you with a digital phone may have their signal meter pegged and have excellent clarity.

Hey, look at the other bright side. When I had to change to digital, I had to pay for the phone - and phones cost more way back then. You are getting an offer for a free replacement. That's like having a television set that only tunes the old analog channels (which will go off the air soon) and someone comes along and offers you a new set with a ATSC (digital signal) tuner for free. Take it and run!

It is legit. I had to do this a couple of months ago. I got a Motorola C139 as a replacement for my old Nokia 5125 TracFone.

It is totally free, and after receiving the replacement phone, call TracFone to transfer the minutes from the old phone to the new phone.

tracfoner said: To keep it activated costs me $7.00 a month if I don't use it vsWhy not just get a prepaid TMobile phone which costs $0.00 a month.

xoneinax said: tracfoner said: To keep it activated costs me $7.00 a month if I don't use it vsWhy not just get a prepaid TMobile phone which costs $0.00 a month.

tracfoner means that you have to at least buy a 60 minute card for $20 every 3 months - avg. cost $7/mo. - but you keep the unused minutes as long as you keep the phone active.

We also had to upgrade to a newer phone earlier this year, as our old one was no longer supported in our area.

They are working their way across the US and getting rid of all the old type phones. They sent me a refurb C139 for free that is horrible (had a clamshell), but said I could purchase another type phone on my own if I didn't like the C139. They had me return my old phone to them.

IT's not a matter of analog .vs digital. TDMA and GSM are both digital, they are just different technologies. The TDMA carriers are switching out to GSM and the phone that you have won't work with the new towers that are going up. You can keep your phone, but it won't do you any good if you can't find a tower to connect to. Since the carriers in your area are taking down thier TDMA towers, your TDMA phone won't be of much use.

confused;
I did not get an email, but I got a phone call saying the same thing and to log onto the website and click on "Free Upgrade". Well, I have been trying to do that and I can not find "Free Upgrade" anywhere on the site. What's going on??

Why not just call them to verify rather than ask here?

When you call tracfone you usually get someone in another country . I have a very hard time understanding what they are saying. That is why I prefer to do it online.

Yes, I took the "free upgrade" phone and ran with it but it just didn't work out at all.

Amen to that. I should have recorded one of the hell calls I had. It was a female and she sound like she was from deep in Africa and I couldn't understand most of what she said. She sounded like a robot. And now Tracfone reps seem to be required to throw in a lot of promos for themselves. In the middle of me trying to transfer my number and getting nowhere and getting very frustrated, she threw in a line like "how long have you used tracfone" and "have you been happy with your service" and even went into a pitch about how to use the menu buttons!

I also received the e-mail. I've been using a Motorola V-120 Tracfone for some time and really love its features, battery life, and versatility. I asked the foreign tracfone robot lady what kind of phone they were going to replace my V-120 with, since the V-120 was a premium phone when I bought it. The robot lady couldn't tell me, but she was SURE I'd be satisfied. YEA! RIGHT! We shall see.

Yep, I'm SURE you'll get a premium phone in the mail and I'm SURE you'll have no hassles transferring your service and I'm SURE they'll send you the SIM card!!! YEP!

So, here's the deal...

I received a Nokia 1100 phone in a few days (delivered by DHL- Fast deliviery)
My phone came with the SIM card.
I was able to activate my phone quickly. Well, it took a while with the Tracfone robot lady, but the phone works.
However...she was unable to transfer all my minutes from my old phone to my new phone. She said I should wait until my old phone was deactivated, and call back.

In the meantime, I found a Tracfone Blog site at: http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/
This led me to the following site which gives Tracfone's address and "Customer Escalations" phone number: 1-800-876-5753

http://www.TracFone.com/about.jsp?nextPage=about.jsp&task=about

Calling that number put me through to Tracfone Corporate on the first ring. The person on the other end was quickly able to resolve my problem.

I still miss my Motorola V120 and its voice recognition ability to respond to "Phone Home", but all-in-all, looking at all the complaints, I'm happy with what I've got.

But you left out some info. Did your old phone have a LOCAL phone number that is local to your area and were you able to keep that number? As far as losing minutes, that's totally unacceptable and the tracfone biatch could have easily given you minutes to make up for it. Even with all the hell I went through, the idiot on the other end was able to give me 200 minutes or at least offer them if I kept that non-local number they wanted to stick me with. I'm now in total limbo. My old phone has 0.4 minutes on it. All attempts to transfer my old number to the upgrade phone failed. I'm afraid to add any minutes to my old phone now, not knowing if the phone will suddenly stop working, and we ALL know that Tracfone only takes money IN and no money goes back out. No matter what goes wrong, you can never get a refund for airtime bought for a Tracfone.

HAHAHA. That blog is owned by Tracfone and conveniently omits any negative references to themselves.

Let's see...
I was able to keep my original Tracfone,local number.
All my old minutes have been transfered to my new phone.

I recognize that the BLOG is owned and operated by Tracfone. Sure they aren't going to say anything negative, but they do provide more information than can be attained at http://www.TracFone.com.

I can appreciate your situation, and suggest you call the "Customer Escalations" number. They certainly seem more sympathetic and knowledgable. It's worth a shot.

You posted at 8:51 AM that they couldn't transfer your minutes and then at 4:42 PM, you said they had transferred all your minutes. That was really fast considering it's Tracfone.

i received a tracfone 2600 phone for my old model that was pretty old.as for transferring minutes or old number i did not bother with.only had one minute.i would advise anybody to do it online,prolly much faster and no idiots to deal with.received by dhl in 3 or 4 days.

On this upgrade, it has be done by phone and can't be done online. Why would you not transfer your old number? Having only one minute is not the issue, it's the old phone number being transferred that's the issue. By me not being able to keep my old local number would have meant everyone from now on that called me from a landline would have to call long distance. That's just not right when I had a local number to start with. Tracfone still sucks in my book. I don't give a crap HOW fast that "upgrade" phone arrived via DHL. The phone was worthless. The service was worthless.

well i did it online and it worked for me.as for the number it is still the same area code on new phone so whats the big deal.tracfone does indeed suck for the fact that u make a ten second phone call and you get charged a minute is bogus and complete ripoff.

Maybe all your friends having to make a long distance call to call is you is no big deal. I really don't want to put my family and friends in that position if they call me from a land line. In my state, the "same area code" can still be 400 miles away or more. Having the same area code in no way means it's still a local call. I had a local number for 2 years and they can't transfer it to my new phone? Bull sh*%$

I don't know where you live, but it sounds like Tracfone ran out of local numbers for your locale. You might try to confirm that with them. In any case, they should offer you a fair resolution. Keep at it!

Tracfone's TDMA/Analog service is discontinuing. Just plug in your imei online and click submit. For more information, they just put up a link titled service alerts on their homepage to explain its a nationwide initiative. Unfortunately service will stop for anyone with those phones because the fcc approved all carriers discontinue it. Hope this helps a little.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014