Net 10 vs Tracfone

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Which is the better deal? I was searching for codes and feel that Tracfone offers more promotional codes for free minutes. So wich the promotional codes, which is the better deal and the better service?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I think the appeal Net 10 is it's always $.10 a minute including roaming. That is unless they've changed their deal. I currently have Tracfone and had bought a card that gave me double minutes for life (life of the phone. The last time I purchased minutes with the double minutes and an additional bonus code I got what works out to $.08 a minute. Since I am rarely on roaming it is probably a better fit for me.

I think the key to Net10 is that you need to talk a lot of benefit. As I recall (and please correct me if I am wrong), Net10 minutes expire in 30 days if unused. Not good if you don't talk a lot, or have it as a second phone.

Yet Tracfone time is longer, and they have 1 year promos. I have a Tracfone as an emergency phone in the car just in case I am out and forgot my main phone. I got it under a 1 year promo, and have added some promotional time that extended that even further.

IMHO Net10 > high volume user who can't do a contract

Tracfone > Average user who isn't a cell phone junkie.

pageplus cellular. There seems to be a pretty loyal following here. search for the thread, it seems an incredible value with verizon network, but you'll need to find a good phone yourself..

Thanks for the reply. Tracfone is the way for me to go. I don't use very many minutes each month so Net10 is not the answer for me. I have a verizon impulse phone also that I wish I could get turned on somewhere besides Verizon. I don't like their 1.00 a day charge. I don't use the phone enough to warrant that kind of charge.

I saw a refurbished Net10 Nokia 1600 with $30 bonus airtime plus 300 bonus unit card. * The $30 Bonus Value is awarded as follows: $10.00 100 minutes on 1st airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 2nd airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 3rd airtime addition.

So, if you don't use 150 minutes or more per month, you still end up paying $15 per month to keep the phone active. One year airtime for $180 with 2100 minutes.

Net10 and TracFone are the same company. Does Net10 have Bonus/Promo Codes that you can use when you add airtime like the TracFones do?

I don't use the phone 150 minutes per month, so the TracFone seems to be a better deal. I've had my T/Mobile To-Go phone for 11 1/2 months and have only used about 170 minutes in almost a year.

Wal/Mart has a Motorolla C139 phone with Double Minute For Life (DMFL) Card plan for $12.88 in store or $14.88 on Wal/Mart.com. Comes with 10 minutes / 20 minutes if activated online.

It is also on www.TracFone.com under Buy Phones tab.
Use a Zip Code of 54701 to get a "Double Minute Offer" selection near the top of the page with a Motorolla C139 plus a double minutes for life card (DMFL).

May be able to get 100 bonus minutes when phone is activated because of DMFL card plan:
code 54969 - 100 bonus minutes (no days added) when you add Double Minutes (for life of phone) card. Confirmed 12-4-07

If you don't use many minutes you can get a 60 minute refill for 19.99 with 90 days airtime. Use a bonus code for 30 bonus days airtime for a total of 120 days. One year of airtime with 180 minutes for $60. With the DMFL card plan 360 minutes. Not bad for a standby emergency phone.

If you use a lot of minutes and are looking for lowest cost per minute on TracFone refill cards, get the 200 minute card for 39.99 retail. Buy it for 5% off at callingmart.com for $38.00.
http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1
When you apply the 200 minute card, remember to use a Bonus Code.

If you apply a 200 minute card on a phone with DMFL card you get 400 minutes + bonus code minutes or bonus code month.
That's 9.5 cents per minute with 30 bonus days.
With a 60 minute bonus code it is 8.26 cents per minute.
With a 100 minute bonus code it is 7.6 cents per minute.

On your next refill if you don't need as many minutes, add the 60 minute card. You can almost always find a promo code that will add 60 bonus. And with the DMFL card you get another 60. That's 180 minutes for 19.99 or about 11 cents per minute.

If you watch the TracFone web site they sometimes do a special offer under the Buy Phones tab for two 60 minute refill cards plus a free phone for 19.99. Buy two phones, use the refill cards on the phone with DMFL card plan and use promo code for 60 bonus minutes on each card. That's 360 days of airtime and 720 minutes for 39.98. Before you buy the phone, click through the link on www.fatwallet.com for 6-9% CashBack bonus (varies through the year).

Activate the two phones online with 20 minutes on each. Sell them on e/bay or craigslist for $10 each. Net cost for 360 days of airtime and 720 minutes reduced to 19.98.

Almost a year ago I purchased a T/Mobile ToGo phone for 30 dollars after rebate with $25 bonus air time card in addition to the $10 card that comes with the phone. I bought 3 more $25 cards when Target had them on sale for $20 each = $60. The $10 card was on the SIM and was already installed when I got the phone. So for $90 I had a phone plus $100 of cards. I called customer service so they would add all four $25 cards at once so I would get 15% bonus minutes.

T/Mobile must be topped up every 90 days to roll over the minutes, but after you have added $100 worth of time to your phone, an additional $10 or more extends the roll over to one year instead of 90 days and gives 15% bonus minutes for each purchase after the $100. So, when I added the $100 of cards all at once I got 1150 minutes. I still have 980 minutes and my year is up in two weeks. So I'll add $10 for another year, effectively costing me $10 a year for a phone after the first year. The only drawback is that if the phone is lost or stolen and someone starts using the minutes before I notify T/Mobile, I'm out of luck.

IMHO the coverage map for T/Mobile ToGo is pitiful compared to the coverage map for TracFone.

Ime T-Mobile is the best. Unless theres no coverage in your area.

kimbowman said: I have a verizon impulse phone also that I wish I could get turned on somewhere besides Verizon. I don't like their 1.00 a day charge. I don't use the phone enough to warrant that kind of charge.You can activate your Verizon InPulse (or VZW postpaid) phone on Page Plus.

There's a big thread in either Hot Deals or Deal Discussion.

EDIT: The PP website is down at the moment.

With Net 10 you can't get under $15/mo. With Tracfone or ATT you can get to $8.33. (might not matter if you use lots of time)

Text

henny said: With Net 10 you can't get under $15/mo. With Tracfone or ATT you can get to $8.33. (might not matter if you use lots of time)
Text

My brother just bought a Net10 phone from their web site. Use Cash Back to make the deal sweeter. It was a refurbished Nokia 1600 with $30 bonus airtime plus 300 bonus unit card. The web site states: * The $30 Bonus Value is awarded as follows: $10.00 100 minutes on 1st airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 2nd airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 3rd airtime addition.

However, when he activated it he got 20 minutes for activating online plus 2 months service. When he added the 300 minute bonus card online he got the 300 minutes and all three bonuses at once. He also got the 2 months service on the bonus refill card.

20 minutes + 2 months for activating online
300 minutes + 2 months for bonus refill card that came with phone
300 minutes for the three bonus airtime that came with phone
------------
620 minutes total + 4 months service
And a phone
for $30. That's 7.50 per month. And 4.84 cents per minute.

If getting a different phone number every four months is not a problem for you, this may be one of the best bargains available. Just buy another phone every four months! They change phones in the offer but usually have the $30 airtime + 300 minute refillcard bonus.

Kmart also has this Net10 deal with a Motorolla C139 phone through Dec. 29 for $29.99 in store, limit 2.

Has anyone gotten this Net10 deal and not received the $30 bonus all at once?

railroadrabbit said: henny said: With Net 10 you can't get under $15/mo. With Tracfone or ATT you can get to $8.33. (might not matter if you use lots of time)
Text

My brother just bought a Net10 phone from their web site. Use Cash Back to make the deal sweeter. It was a refurbished Nokia 1600 with $30 bonus airtime plus 300 bonus unit card. The web site states: * The $30 Bonus Value is awarded as follows: $10.00 100 minutes on 1st airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 2nd airtime addition; $10.00 100 minutes on 3rd airtime addition.

However, when he activated it he got 20 minutes for activating online plus 2 months service. When he added the 300 minute bonus card online he got the 300 minutes and all three bonuses at once. He also got the 2 months service on the bonus refill card.

20 minutes + 2 months for activating online
300 minutes + 2 months for bonus refill card that came with phone
300 minutes for the three bonus airtime that came with phone
------------
620 minutes total + 4 months service
And a phone
for $30. That's 7.50 per month. And 4.84 cents per minute.

If getting a different phone number every four months is not a problem for you, this may be one of the best bargains available. Just buy another phone every four months! They change phones in the offer but usually have the $30 airtime + 300 minute refillcard bonus.

Kmart also has this Net10 deal with a Motorolla C139 phone through Dec. 29 for $29.99 in store, limit 2.

Has anyone gotten this Net10 deal and not received the $30 bonus all at once?

Net10 replaced the 300 bonus promo with the current 300 minutes upon activation, no airtime purchase required.

If you bought that refurb 1600 deal at Valentines when they had free shipping, it would have cost 5.3 cents a minute. $30 + tax = $31.80 / 600 =5.3
300 upon activation and 60 days and then 300 and another 60 days with the airtime card.
600 minutes and 4 months = $7.95 a month
Add the shipping in and order 2 at a time and the rate goes to 5.7 cents a minute.

The new Nokia 1600 was $19.98 at WalMart when the promo was 300 bonus minutes with 3 future airtime purchases.
Now that the new promo is in effect, that phone is $29.98 at WalMart.

I am currently using Net10 at 2 cents per minute.
Buy the refurb deal with free shipping. Sell the airtime card for face value on eBay. After fees the net cost of the phone with 300 minutes upon activation is $6. $6 / 300 = 2 cents.
Buy several and you get a new phone every 2 months. You can have your # transfered, or use Grand Central and it doesn't matter how often your # changes.

If you don't like the 1600 get a better phone and transfer the minutes and 2 months after activating.

Net10 will not stack service days like Tracfone does. If you have service days on your phone and transfer days and minutes from another phone, the new date will be whichever date on the 2 phones was the latter. You get all the minutes, but the service days will overlap.
So don't activate another phone until your airtime is due.

This Link is for a thread I posted which includes a pretty good detail of this deal. I have also posted a detailed comparrison between Tracfone and Net10 on one of the Tracfone threads. I will locate it and update with a link later.

The Nokia 1600 refurb with the free 300 minute card is back on 4/8/08.

Free shipping on orders of $35 or more.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014