Black Friday 2007 Laptop/Notebook Thread

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
This is a summary of all the laptop sales I could find on several BF sites. Please post any corrections/additions.

[Best Buy]

Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 14" Laptop w/2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, Printer, and Webcam -- $729.99
Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 14" Laptop w/2GB RAM and 250GB Hard Drive -- $629.99
HP AMD Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/160GB HD + 1G RAM + DVD-RW Burner -- $449.99
HP AMD Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/1GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW Drive, and Epson All-In-One Printer -- $549.99
Sony 15.4" Laptop Intel Pentium dual-core w/ 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner -- $399.99 [Scan]
Sony 15.4" Laptop Intel Pentium dual-core w/ 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Printer, and More -- $499.99
Toshiba 17" Core 2 Duo Laptop w/2GB RAM, 160GB HD, HD-DVD Drive -- $799.99
Toshiba Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 17" Laptop With Headphones And HD DVDs -- $899.99

[Circuit City]

Compaq Presario Laptop w/Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2310, 1GB RAM, 80G HD, 15.4" display, DVD-RW -- $299.99 [Scan]
HP Pavilion Laptop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 + 15.4" Display -- $549.99
Sony VAIO 15.4" Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5240 / 1GB RAM / 160GB Hard Drive -- $899.99
Toshiba Satellite Laptop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (TK-53) -- $399.99
Toshiba Satellite Laptop with AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology (TL-58) -- $749.97

Bundles:
- Wireless-G Router Free with Any Laptop
- All-In-One Printer Free with Any Laptop

[CompUSA]

Apple 13.3" MacBook w/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz Processor / 1GB / 120GB HD -- $1234.99
Apple 15" MacBook Pro w/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz Processor / 2GB / 120GB HD -- $1899.99
HP Pavilion 14.1" AMD Athlon 64 X2 Laptop w/ 2GB RAM 120GB HD -- $499.99 (?)
HP Pavilion 15.4" Notebook w/Intel Centrino Duo Processor / 4GB / 250GB Hard Drive -- $1499.99
HP Pavilion 17" Notebook -- $449.99
HP Pavilion 20.1" Notebook w/Centrino Duo Processor / 2GB /240GB HD -- $2599.99
Sony VAIO 13.3" Notebook w/Intel Centrino Duo Processor / 2GB / 160GB -- $1849.99
Sony VAIO 17" Notebook w/Intel Centrino Duo Processor / 2GB / 320GB -- $1599.99
Sony VAIO Notebook w/Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor / 1GB / 160GB -- $549.99
Toshiba 17" Satellite Notebook w/AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-64 Processor / 2GB / 250GB HD -- $1149.99
Toshiba Satellite SLi1 Notebook w/Core 2 Duo Processor / 2GB / 240GB HD -- $1899.99

[Costco]

-- $300 Off Select Dell Notebooks and Desktop Computers
HP 15.4" Widescreen Notebook Computer Bundle -- $799.99
HP Pavilion dv6500t Special Edition -- $100 Off

[Office Depot]

Gateway 15.4" Notebook Computer w/Intel Centrino Duo Processor / 3GB RAM / 250GB HD -- $899.99
HP Pavilion Notebook Computer with 17" Display + 2GB Ram + 120GB HD -- $599.99 AR
HP Pavilion Notebook Computer with 17" Display + 2GB Ram + 240 GB HD -- $849.99 AR
HP Pavilion Touchscreen Notebook w/AMD Turion 64 x2 Dual-Core / 2GB RAM / 250GB HD -- $999.99
Lenovo 3000 Notebook Computer with 14.1" Display -- $599.99 AR
Sony VAIO 14.1" Notebook Computer w/Intel Centrino Duo Processor w/2GB RAM -- $999.99
Sony Vaio Notebook Computer with 15.4" Display + 1GB Ram + 160GB HD -- $649.99
Toshiba 15"4 2GB 160GB Widescreen Notebook -- $499.99 (AR)
Toshiba 15.4" Satellite Notebook Computer w/Intel Centrio Duo Processor / 2GB RAM / 200GB HD -- $949.99
Toshiba Satelite Notebook Computer with 15.4" Display + 2GB Ram + 200GB HD -- $799.99

[Radio Shack]

Acer 14.1" Widescreen Intel Celeron M530 processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD, b/g wireless Notebook -- $399.99
HP 7MP Digital Camera, 15.4" Notebook, and 3-in-1 Printer - -- $799.99

[Staples]

Compaq Presario Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2310, 1GB RAM, 80G HD, 15.4" display, DVD-RW, Free Printer -- $349.98 [Scan]

[WalMart]

Dell I1501P-H003W Laptop Computer 15.4" Widescreen - -- $598.00
HP Pavilion dv6629wm-b Entertainment Notebook Bundle with Photosmart A526 Photo Printer and Photosmart M447 5MP Digital Camera - -- $798.00

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Staples website is wrong. You can max it out at 4gb.

onion (Nov. 23, 2007 @ 2:33p) |

Didn't matter what they called it if they only had a few pieces. The $229 desktop was a Friday/Saturday and I never saw ... (more)

billrubin (Nov. 23, 2007 @ 11:05p) |

Really? That's great. How do you know that the Staples Compaq will take 4gb of ram? Link?

MacFrugal (Nov. 24, 2007 @ 4:01p) |

the cheapest laptop of all is not included in the post above . it is on Best buy secret item list for $229.98 Toshiba A135-S7403 Laptop & Canon 3-in-1 Printer Package
Notebook SKU: 8593854 Printer SKU: 8470013

WalMart is having a secret sale on various laptops for $388. All are dual core and have at least 1GB memory.

Thanks! Nice effort!

good job thanks!

thx for the summary.

now to figure out what one i want for under $400.

-unv

awesome, thanks OP

Awesome dude.

I would advise people not to get any of the Turion 64 X2 laptops. I have one and even though it's freq is higher then my Core 2 Duo laptop, it is far slower. It's maybe half as fast at best.

Thanks

OP. For better or for worse (IMO, for worse), on FW most of discussion of BF happens in DD forum. In particular, the thread What is the best black friday Laptop deal?. And, there are pointers to the BF threads on BF forum, although that forum seems to be rather incomplete.

Not saying the thread you started is not better than what is in that other thread. The list you compiled is well-researched and organized. Just that with multiple threads on the same subject, mods often end up locking one of them, and killing off a lot of discussion that way. And I'd hate to see the work people put in compiling information going to waste. Plus, it is more difficult to have to check several threads over several forums for the same discussion.

not much good deals this year...i'd rather pay $50-$100 more so i don't have to camp out in the cold

good effor though, so green for you

Wish I knew if any of the deals had a decent video card. Guess I could research it more...

fwiffo said: OP. For better or for worse (IMO, for worse), on FW most of discussion of BF happens in DD forum. In particular, the thread What is the best black friday Laptop deal?. And, there are pointers to the BF threads on BF forum, although that forum seems to be rather incomplete.yea, what OP did here is real research. That BF laptop thread is still junk until someone takes the time to really update the wiki or the original post. I'll stick to this thread. Hopefully it'll get sticky'ed somewhere

Wow! Nice summary. Regarding where it should go... ideally I'd agree with fwiffo -- put it in the black friday laptop thread. I wonder if it gets more exposure and thus helpful replies in Hot Deals. I tried to start a black friday desktop forum in deal discussion myself. Got a few good responses, then it died off. Is the BF Forum gettin enough publicity?

Tomak said: Wish I knew if any of the deals had a decent video card. Guess I could research it more...

I started a "desktop computers and their parts" thread over in the Black Friday forum here.. If you do some research could you add it there?

There's a couple of deals regarding video cards that have come up in the last 72 hours under hot deals. You might want to check those out too.

Thanks for all the green =)

In regard to forum placement:

I was originally trying to post to the BF2k7 forum, but apparently it's a pseudo-forum and I had to choose either Hot Deals or Deal Discussion. I chose HD simply because I imagine a great majority of FW novices would look in the HT forum for Black Friday sales, while completely ignoring the DD forum.

The point is now moot, since the mods moved this to DD.

crash369 said: [CompUSA]
Apple 13.3" MacBook w/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz Processor / 1GB / 120GB HD -- $1234.99

Op, green from me... But what a bad price on the MacBook (considering it's not the current model and it's only $64 less than normal. Oh well

CC for me this is seems good... until a better deals comes along...
$300 laptop here i come

last year there were some $200 laptop for BF

Sony 15.4" Laptop w/1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner -- $399.99
Sony 15.4" Laptop w/1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Printer, and More -- $499.99

Is this a mistake? 399 for Sony is a damn pretty good deal.

What is CrapUSA even thinking? Most of their lappies are over $1000 ..upto $2600...I understand some of them are high end but this is not the right time or place to sell those expensive ones.

ogbaka said: last year there were some $200 laptop for BFYa and it was one of the crappiest laptops ever sold in a retail store.

macjoubert said: ]Is this a mistake? 399 for Sony is a damn pretty good deal.No mistake. By far the best laptop deal this BF.

I agree. Thanx OP. This is exactly what I needed for this BF.

onion said: macjoubert said: Is this a mistake? 399 for Sony is a damn pretty good deal.No mistake. By far the best laptop deal this BF.
Yep, it seems very good, I will definitely look forward to get one of these.

Nice compilation of information.

I will stick with this post.

It will be nice if some one can dig up a little more spec on these deal. e.g. the 2 bestbuy sony deals does not list the processor or the GHz.

onionstink said: Awesome dude.

I would advise people not to get any of the Turion 64 X2 laptops. I have one and even though it's freq is higher then my Core 2 Duo laptop, it is far slower. It's maybe half as fast at best.

Same hard drive? Same amount of RAM? Similar configuration? similar software tune-up? Dedicated graphics? It is very important to remember that a computer is much more than just the CPU. As a matter of fact, a FAST hard drive will make a greater impact to performance than a faster CPU in a laptop.

Case in point: At work I have a hell latitude D620 (core 2 duo T5500, 1.66 GHz, 2 Mb L2, 65 nm Merom) running windows XP pro. Good specs, but the machine is slow. My old and trusty eMachines M6805 (mobile athlon 64 3000+, original clawhammer 130 nm, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz) also runs win XP pro, and it is much faster in everyday computing. It boots at least 10 secs faster, shuts down much faster, open windows and documents faster... almost no wait. FEELS noticeably faster. You wouldn't expect an almost 4 years old machine with a single core CPU to beat a more modern machine, would you? But is does, it is noticeable.

So, where is the trick? Both machines have similar amount of RAM (1 GB D620, 1.25 GB M6805), both are running XP pro, both have discrete video cards (nvidia quadro NVS 100M in the D620, mobility radeon 9600 in the M6805) But the hard drives are quite different. The D620 has a samsung HM040GI hard drive (40 GB, SATA, 5400 RPM, 8 MB) while my M6805 has an IBM-HGST 7K60 (60 GB, 7200 rpm, 8 MB) On paper, the hard drives have similar media transfer rates (512 Mb/sec for the 7K60, 530 M/sec for the HM040GI) but the latency, seek time and full stroke favor the 7K60 by more than 20%. This makes a big difference in opening small files (which are the most common) While on paper the HM040GI is a decent match to the 7K60, in real life it is not... a modern budget hard drive against the top of the line from 3 years ago...

Furthermore, the D620 has a full assortment of corporate bloatware (thanks crapAffe) while the M6805 runs KIS 7.0, and it is tweaked often to keep it running fast and smooth. Yes, the core 2 duo shows who's daddy when performing a search within a 600 pages PDF, even if the M6805 opens the PDF faster I am fully aware the core 2 duo is a superior CPU (as much as it hurts me being an AMD fanboy) but your computer is much more than just your CPU, and with a laptop is it quite harder to customize it.... I have not replaced my M6805 because its combo of mobile athlon 64, mobility radeon 9600 and VIA K8T800 paired with a 7K60 still packs some punch.

Back into topic, if I was buying a laptop right now I would buy the Medion from Aldi. If I had to pick a BF item, the HP DV2432Nr from CompUSA in TG day would be the one (14.1", 2 GM RAM, $499 OTD, being the 14.1" the main factor)
By the way, green to OP for the list

Alex

thanks for doing the leg work!

fleckeri said: Nice compilation of information.

It will be nice if some one can dig up a little more spec on these deal. e.g. the 2 bestbuy sony deals does not list the processor or the GHz.

The ad says pentium dual-core, no frequency

http://bfads.net/Sony-Laptop-1GB-DVDRW-120GB-at-Best-Buy

Personally, I'm trying to figure out if any of these BF deals are better than other random laptop sales. Any opinions?

i'm looking for a light laptop.. any one see one that's worth getting?

thnx OP

THANKS

Are those deals only in store? Can I buy them online? Thanks!

How does the WalMart $350 laptop sold after Halloween compare to BF laptops? I was able to pick up one for school.... but is there a better deal out there worth another shopping trip??? thanks for advice

I'll post this in each of the BF laptop threads...

Compaq has a $30 MIR for any laptop with a model number ending in "US" purchased before 1/5/08. There's a pretty extensive list of excluded retailers, but Staples isn't one of them...brings the price down to $319.

Link to rebatey goodness

If I can get my hands on one, the rebate will surely help.

fleckeri said: Nice compilation of information.

I am pretty sure the CPU is a 1.46 GHz Intel Pentium T2310

Toastyone said: fleckeri said: Nice compilation of information.

I am pretty sure the CPU is a 1.46 GHz Intel Pentium T2310

Not sure about both Sony deals at BBY, but I'm fairly certain you're right about the $399 doorbuster at the very least (didn't bother looking at the more expensive one). IIRC, it's the same CPU as the Compaq deals at CC and Staples.

CC $299 laptop is also a very good deal considering it comes with free router and printer . i am not a big fan of compaq though.

kbnaperville said: How does the WalMart $350 laptop sold after Halloween compare to BF laptops? I was able to pick up one for school.... but is there a better deal out there worth another shopping trip??? thanks for advice

I have been trying to decide on this myself.
I have, and am currently using, the Wal-Mart laptop and I am very pleased with it.
It does appear that I can get a bit more in terms of HD and DVD burner instead of ROM.
But, I am pleased with this laptop and I think that keeping this would be a lot easier than waiting to MAYBE get one of these other deals. A lot of people have been trash talking the ACER but I think it works great for my needs.

Good luck!

manuvns said: CC $299 laptop is also a very good deal considering it comes with free router and printer . i am not a big fan of compaq though.Router and printer are not free.

How does this compare to the Sony 15.4" Laptop Intel Pentium dual-core w/ 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner -- $399.99 at best buy

Expires: 11/21/07 11:00 PM

Dell Small Business is offering the Vostro 1500 Notebook Computer for $549 shipped, which is a $410 instant discount. Tax is charged in select states. Click the deal link, then click through on the $549 Vostro 1500 configuration. Select the free TrueLife display upgrade.

Specifications include the Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 dual-core processor, 15.4" WXGA TrueLife widescreen LCD display, 2GB DDR2 dual-channel memory, 160GB serial ATA hard drive, DVD+/-RW DL burner, 802.11b/g wireless, LAN, modem, six-cell lithium-ion battery, your choice of Windows XP Home or Windows Vista Home Basic, one-year warranty, one-year 10GB online data backup, and more.

Skipping 61 Messages...
onion said: lrothkcsa said: Wow...according to the Staples website, the $349 Compaq is in fact capped at a gig of RAM...glad I slept inStaples website is wrong. You can max it out at 4gb.

Really? That's great. How do you know that the Staples Compaq will take 4gb of ram? Link?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014