Where to find kerosene cheap?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
HomeDepot and Lowes are selling it for about $7/gallon around here and I need a bunch for my heater for use in an uninsulated metal building all winter.

Any suggestions for places that may sell the stuff for a more reasonable amount would be appreciated.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

farm and ranch supply stores in my neck of the woods. But I have not checked on price, Good luck.

You didn't mention where you are located. You can call a local fuel distributor and ask where there are kerosene dealers near you. Around here in N. Virginia there aren't many but it usually sells for about thirty to fifty cents more than diesel fuel which is about $3.40 (or more). If you're not using it in living quarters, you could always burn Jet-A, which is kerosene with additives for turbine engines. In the Army, we usually burned JP-8 which is pretty much the same as Jet-A. JP-8 is the standard "battlefield" fuel for diesel and turbine engines (ground & aviation). I personally wouldn't burn Jet-A in my house but a garage, tent, workshop--no problem.

I actually tried burning some JetA already. For some reason it burned really smoky. Would have been nice though, easy access and pretty good pricing.

Oh yeah, I'm in the Kansas City area.

Check Hess gas stations if there are any in your area, some of the ones around here (RI) have undyed kero for <$4/gal.

Why don't you switch your heater out for propane. You can get a ventless if needed, and assuming you are in a area where propane is easily available.

Why don't you switch your heater out for propane. You can get a ventless if needed, and assuming you are in a area where propane is easily available.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014