• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm a current sams club member and was very disappointed with the quality of the dark meat that I purchased. How is Costco with thier meats? I mostly use this type of store for food. Which place has the best food overall. I also need canned pet food as well.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've been very happy with Costco meat and fish, other that their ground beef which is a bit fatty for me - The leanest t... (more)

markrussellsmith (Nov. 30, 2007 @ 9:59a) |

costco

neo2299 (Nov. 30, 2007 @ 10:04a) |

No comparison here, not even close - definitely Costco.

Costco quality and variety are much better than Sam's Club, not ... (more)

pandas007 (Dec. 02, 2007 @ 9:52p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I can't speak for Sams, but I've been very happy with the price and quality of the meat from Costco. The filet mignon, in particular, is a steal compared to my local grocery stores, both for price and quality.

I would definitley say Costco. I've been a member of both and after a few years just dropped the Sams last year as the quality at Costco seemed better.

Another vote for Costco. Their meat quality is top notch. All their steaks are USDA Choice and mine occasionally puts out Prime cuts also, small quantities though.

Austerville said: I can't speak for Sams, but I've been very happy with the price and quality of the meat from Costco. The filet mignon, in particular, is a steal compared to my local grocery stores, both for price and quality.

You can't beat their meat.

Costco has much better quality meat and at lower prices. Pays for itself.

i used to be a costco member and my mom is at Sam's Club. it's about the same.

Another vote for Costco.

As a Costco member, I think most of the beef at Costco or Sams's will be USDA Choice. My sister shops at Sam's and has never had a problem, what happened with your negative experience? I'm always pleased with the meat from Costco, it's closer to me than Sam's, and I like the brand better, so Costco it is. Butchering a beef loin into filets yourself can save you a ton of money and leave you with some great scraps for kabobs or for processing into burgers.

Costco. Hands down. Great Steaks and a nice selection of vacuum sealed chicken.

Wonderful Seafood too. (Often our Costco has alaskan king crab for 7.99/lb --you do not have to buy bulk packs pricing).

Besides Meat, Costco has a "Sea food Rodeo" once every fort night. Shell fish Snow crab legs etc. This was the reason for me to join Costco. Now I have both Sams and Costco's memberships for the past 3 years. Shell fish use to be $1.99 per pound back then. Now it has gone up to $3+ per pound range... But rest of the quality is much better than Sams. Certain items you can find only in Costco.

How about chicken meat?

I definitely bought meat from Sam's once that was nasty. I will never shop in Sam's again.

Costco meat is by far the best.

Obitron64 said: How about chicken meat?

Thats not chicken

costco for me

I am scared... I ate chicken from SAMS club and it was a horrible experience. I cooked it but it was fatty and bloody. It was the most grotest thing ever.

Costco definitely...and the chicken, i buy the vacuum sealed Foster Farms

minileedxr said: Costco definitely...and the chicken, i buy the vacuum sealed Foster Farms
We used to buy those as well, though we recently switched to the enormous bag of Perdue frozen chicken breasts. We go through chicken like crazy, so we got it mainly to reduce the number of trips we had to make because it's a big 20-ish lb. bag. To our surprise, they were actually pretty good and significantly cheaper than the Foster Farms breasts.

If you're looking for frozen chicken, or planning on freezing anyway, you should give them a try.

For beef, we have memberships to both places and we always get steaks and such at Costco. They seem to be a little better cuts, and a little cheaper as well.

Find a Costco Business center, they have an even better selection. Very large packages though.

I don't know Sam's but I do prefer costco's meat to bj's. Also I read somewhere that Costco treats their employs much more ethically (better pay, benefits, etc, etc). Also costco sets a certain limit as to how much markup they place no matter what a bargain they picked up. Never been to sam's.

gizmotoy said: minileedxr said: Costco definitely...and the chicken, i buy the vacuum sealed Foster Farms
We used to buy those as well, though we recently switched to the enormous bag of Perdue frozen chicken breasts. We go through chicken like crazy, so we got it mainly to reduce the number of trips we had to make because it's a big 20-ish lb. bag. To our surprise, they were actually pretty good and significantly cheaper than the Foster Farms breasts.

If you're looking for frozen chicken, or planning on freezing anyway, you should give them a try.

For beef, we have memberships to both places and we always get steaks and such at Costco. They seem to be a little better cuts, and a little cheaper as well.

Are you talking about chicken being good at sams or coscto? Is Foster Farms sams? Does costco carry perdue?

hungrywolff said: I don't know Sam's but I do prefer costco's meat to bj's.

Want to say inappropriate things... Must stop myself....

Seriously though, costco does a great job with their employees. I know checkout folks making close to $20 an hour. More than double that of their supermarket counterparts.

I just had some costco shortrib last night. AMAZING.

Obitron64 said: gizmotoy said: minileedxr said: Costco definitely...and the chicken, i buy the vacuum sealed Foster Farms

Are you talking about chicken being good at sams or coscto? Is Foster Farms sams? Does costco carry perdue?

Sorry, those are both Costco items. Costco sells chicken a couple different ways. The Foster Farms chicken is vacuum sealed in pairs with about 6 per pack, and is sold refridgerated. They also sell the same chicken pre-marinated is different sauces. The Perdue chicken comes frozen in huge bags, with choice of size: I believe it is a 15lb. bag of "chicken filets" (seem to be small chicken breasts), or a 20lb. bag of chicken breasts. On a per-lb. basis, the Perdue chicken is significantly cheaper.

Costco.

Not sure about Sam's. Meat I bought from Costco is always good

I've been very happy with Costco meat and fish, other that their ground beef which is a bit fatty for me - The leanest thay have is 15% fat.

I can't speak for Sam's club, but I hope their meat isn't as bad as WalMart's. I've bought WalMart's ground beef a few times, and always the leanest which is about 5% fat, but I always find a lot of bone chips.

-Mark.

costco

No comparison here, not even close - definitely Costco.

Costco quality and variety are much better than Sam's Club, not to mention that Sam's Club does not trim their meats, especially steaks, as well as Costco. I have also had bad experiences with Sam's meats not being as fresh as Costco's. The butchers and cashiers are also nicer at Costco.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014