Expired cash card, can I get the money back?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am not a newbie to rebate, but some recent experience really makes me look awkward. I purchased two cell phones with Cingular rebates, $200 total, and got the rebates in the form of two VISA cash cards late August.

The cards are issued by "Swift Prepaid Card" service, and the expiration date embossed on the front of the cards are "10/07". Without reading the small prints, I thought the card will expired in July, 2010, as I assumed no decent cash card will expire in a little more than two months. Not in a hurry, I put the cards into drawer, and even didn't bother to activate them. However, I am wrong! Recently when I think about the cards, and tried to activate them, I was told they have expired! --- on the last day of October 2007, and the $200 is gone! The customer service suggest me to talk to their manager concerning this problem.

Does anyone here have similar experience like this? What should I talk to their manager tomorrow? Is there any chance for me to claim back the money? Many thanks for your hints and help!

Anyway, next time, I will immediately buy some WalMart/Target gift card....

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Anyone got some hints? Thanks!

So you snooze...you lose!
What do you expect someone in a forum to be able to do for you other than suggest what you plan on doing...call and see if they will help. You might and probably should learn a valuable lesson ($200 worth) to look at the rebates when they come to see what the expiration days are.

Puppykitten, if I were in the same predicament, I would ask for help on this forum, because you never know who may have done this also, and could help you with the problem. It's responses like this that make it so people don't want to ask questions or ask for help. For anyone who wants to attack me for MY response, don't bother, I won't read it anyway.
mom2boys said: What do you expect someone in a forum to be able to do for you other than suggest what you plan on doing...call and see if they will help. You might and probably should learn a valuable lesson ($200 worth) to look at the rebates when they come to see what the expiration days are.
Some people seem to forget that they were once new members, too. That's no reason to imply that someone is an idiot for asking. I hope you can get this resolved. You're right, 2 months is ridiculous, and you shouldn't have to read the fine print to find this out.

Any rebate, gift card/certificate, etc. that I get I IMMEDIATELY cash or use just so they don't expire or the place go out of business or impose non-activity fees.

learn this the hard way myself, was going to save the symantech credit cards for those trial offers that charge like a dollar. Well, filed them away, when I finally pulled them out, under the card itself they listed the $3/month charge for inactivity!

depend on what state you are in. in CA, gift card, cash card has no expire date or fee

"A new law going into effect January 1, 2004 in California bans nearly all service fees on retailer gift cards and gift certificates. The new law bans service fees, with one limited exception. On a rechargeable card with a balance of $5 or less, the issuer may charge a dormancy fee of $1 per month after 24 months of inactivity. Even a balance inquiry counts as activity that prevents this fee. All other service fees are prohibited.

The new law applies to gift certificates sold on or after January 1, 2004. Under preexisting California law, gift certificates may not expire. The new statute amends California Civil Code section 1749.5. The text of the new statute can be found at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1051-1100/ab_1092_bill_20030724_chaptered.pdf "

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014