• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Saw this on CNN, guess it's for the old school people. www.dtv2009.gov
Our tax dollars at work I guess. You have to apply for the coupon, whatever that means.

Link

What is the digital television transition?
At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.
What is the TV Converter Box Coupon Program?
Congress created the TV Converter Box Coupon Program for households wishing to keep using their analog TV sets after February 17, 2009. The Program allows U.S. households to obtain up to two coupons, each worth $40, that can be applied toward the cost of eligible converter boxes.

A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program.

Consumers have a variety of options. Options to explore include:
Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after Feb. 17, 2009, or
Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service, or
Purchase a television with a digital tuner.
Edit by Moderator: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Tomahawk said: Saw this on CNN, guess it's for the old school people. www.dtv2009.gov
Our tax dollars at work I guess.

I'm thinking the revenue brought in by the sale of the excess frequencies to Google, ATT and others will easily provide the funding for this program. Am I wrong?

The problem with the CNN report is that it didn't make it clear that if you're on cable or satelite, you don't need a digital convertor box. Only if you're picking up your television via airwaves would you need this. The government will probably pay millions (if not billions) toward countless un-needed convertor boxes because people "think" they need them. The overwhelming majority will not need this. FYI.

And why the hell is government subsidizing people and their TV? Buy your own damn TV box if you need it!

RBA said: Tomahawk said: Saw this on CNN, guess it's for the old school people. www.dtv2009.gov
Our tax dollars at work I guess.

I'm thinking the revenue brought in by the sale of the excess frequencies to Google, ATT and others will easily provide the funding for this program. Am I wrong?

You may be right, but still no need to waste money, IMO.

The public is not ready for the conversion and, apparently, this agency is also not ready. Check the site and you will see that you cannot register. Our tax dollars at work!

The real question is how much each converter box will be.

I was able to request 2 coupons a few minutes ago with no problems. Just keep trying.

The boxes are supposed to retail between $50-$70 each.

Old people who are still using rabbit-ear antennas will find these boxes extremely useful

xpfshost

Engineer said: The problem with the CNN report is that it didn't make it clear that if you're on cable or satelite, you don't need a digital convertor box. Only if you're picking up your television via airwaves would you need this. The government will probably pay millions (if not billions) toward countless un-needed convertor boxes because people "think" they need them. The overwhelming majority will not need this. FYI.

And why the hell is government subsidizing people and their TV? Buy your own damn TV box if you need it!

It is not a subsidy. It's a form of compensation. By forcing the shutdown of analog TV transmission the government turned perfectly working appliances into useless junk. Not every one has access to cable or dish. Consider yourself among the fortunate.

Per their FAQ:

# Coupons will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis to all U.S. households until $890 million has been expended.
# If these initial funds are exhausted, an additional $450 million will be made available to households that receive only over-the-air television service.

Total: $1.4 Billion.

Oh, limit of 2 coupons per household.

Engineer said: The problem with the CNN report is that it didn't make it clear that if you're on cable or satelite, you don't need a digital convertor box. Only if you're picking up your television via airwaves would you need this. The government will probably pay millions (if not billions) toward countless un-needed convertor boxes because people "think" they need them. The overwhelming majority will not need this. FYI.

Apparently you do not understand the the need for the converter boxes is a direct result of government action to cut off analog broadcasts. When government action imposes costs on people which they would otherwise not incur, it is perfectly appropriate for the government to reimburse such costs. Especially when these costs are mainly incurred by low-income individuals who cannot afford cable or satellite.

I'm not sure that it would be wise to request the coupons now. You can only use the coupons at certain retailers and, as of now, there are no retailers certified by the government to accept the coupons. Since the coupons are only valid for 90 days, you run a risk of having the coupon expire before you're able to use it. On the flip side, you run the risk of the government running out of coupons if you wait.

Source: www.DTV2009.gov (See FAQs)
Specifically "Using a Coupon" #12 & #13

My personal opinion is that there isn't enough profit to entice manufacturers to build these converter boxes. There is no financial incentive from the gvt to the manufacturers so my guess they are holding out until they can get some of the 1.5 billion. Again, just my own personal thoughts.

And also...this is not a hot deal. If it was bundled with some sort of way to get one of the converters for cheap/free, then it would be a hot deal. Anyway, hopefully this post helps someone out there.

Huh? There are a lot of households that have their cable/sat in a family or bedroom. What happens to the other "unconnected" TVs out in the garage, basement, etc? Why should these TVs go obsolete because of the change?

The feds will make billions off of the frequency sales....so relax buddy.

xpfshost said: I was able to request 2 coupons a few minutes ago with no problems. Just keep trying.

The boxes are supposed to retail between $50-$70 each.

Old people who are still using rabbit-ear antennas will find these boxes extremely useful

xpfshost

Did you apply on-line or by phone?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014