multiple FYE stores are closing YMMV

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just came back from the mall and my FYE is closing. Did a little digging and found this article. It looks like several are closing down and liquidating. Games and DVDs are 20% off today. Electronics 30% off. Accessories 40%.

Now most of the stuff is about at the price it should be at, but there are a few gems. Look for the stuff that was already on sale or clearance.

EDIT: games are NOT 50% off. I must have been smoking something when I posted initially. Used games and dvds are B2G1

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Product: Coby 10.2" Portable DVD Player
Promotion: $150 Prepaid Visa Card with Purchase of Coby 10.2" Portable DVD ... (more)

NightShadow (Jan. 12, 2008 @ 12:52p) |

What ever happened to the whole certificate deal from FYE? I legitimately bought one for $25 and one for $5. Used the ... (more)

bbneedsanewpairoshoes (Jan. 21, 2008 @ 8:20p) |

NOt sure but my local location is now up to 50% off all games. And yes they have halo, and halo collectors edition. I pi... (more)

Jamare (Feb. 16, 2008 @ 10:08a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

good find. Are you located in albany, ny also? it'd be nice to know a fellow local FW member

I'm so sorry these hucksters are going out of business.

looks like the gift card fiasco put them under....lol

Any sign of list of stores that will be closing.

HELPDESKGUY said: looks like the gift card fiasco put them under....lol

Exactly what I was thinking... LMAO

I love how this got put in deal discussion. The mods are either not that smart, or are just trying to find something to do to justify their salary.

bokkasrealm said: I'm so sorry these hucksters are going out of business.Just reminiscing a bit ... Didn't FYE acquire the old Sam Goody record chain? Ah, for the Goody old days.

Note: CossackUSA pointed out the Goody / Goody's mistake so I changed "Sam Goody's" to "Sam Goody". Thanks.

NYBonk said: good find. Are you located in albany, ny also? it'd be nice to know a fellow local FW member

Albany NY here. Or at least close to it. Catskill.

alot of FYE closed down years ago . they just moved all of their stock to suncoast.

i still have 200 bucks FYE credit i havent spent. and they dont have #$#$# Online

not all FYE are going out just some

Willowbrook, NJ is going out

you mean having 2 fyes in my local mall might have been a bad idea?

As of 1/9, Ann Arbor MI Briarwood Mall NOT closing.

I wouldn't be suprised. When it was The Warehouse, I still didn't shop there. $17.99 for a CD I can get for $9.99 at Best Buy was the reason. They changed the name, but not the game. Went inside and still high prices, even on used stuff. The business model is mildly flawed.

umcsom said: I love how this got put in deal discussion. The mods are either not that smart, or are just trying to find something to do to justify their salary.Did you read your title? Doesn't sound like a hot deal (or any deal for that matter) to me.

Your post simply says that some stores are closing; absolutely nothing indicating there's any deal whatsoever.

Maybe if you actually stated the deal in the title, the mods would reconsider.

BTW, I drove by a standalone Coconut's and it was having an "everything must go" sale.

Cool. Well I just got back from FYE, i was their just swappin out some X-mas presents. I didn't hear about this till now. But at my local shop they had all video games 30% off. They said they are clearing out the video game section. And i bought a Perfect dark xbox 360 game guide for a penny(even though its marked $19.99).

just got back from my local FYE and no discount what so ever on the Halo 3 game I heard lots of people got with the 30% - 50% discount. I guess my FYE is not closing.

Check out www.fyerebates.com....I heard someone get some Coby portable dvd players for free or less than free AR! (7" and 10")

FatherTed said: Check out www.fyerebates.com....I heard someone get some Copy portable dvd players for free or less than free AR! (7" and 10")That would be Coby.

I used to work for FYE - no love lost. Policies stunk as did pricing even on the used stuff. Best of luck to all in finding good deals on this one!

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: FatherTed said: Check out www.fyerebates.com....I heard someone get some Copy portable dvd players for free or less than free AR! (7" and 10")That would be Coby.

Just picked up a 10" Coby at the Suncoast in Willowbrook for (w/tax) $128 with a $150 rebate!

FatherTed said: Just picked up a 10" Coby at the Suncoast in Willowbrook for (w/tax) $128 with a $150 rebate!Coby or FYE (TransWorld) rebate?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: FatherTed said: Just picked up a 10" Coby at the Suncoast in Willowbrook for (w/tax) $128 with a $150 rebate!Coby or FYE (TransWorld) rebate?

I'll have to double check as I dont have it on me now...but I'm pretty sure it's a Trasnworld rebate.

If I'm not mistaken, FYE didn't buy the Sam Goody chain, they bought The Musicland Group stores from Best Buy, who had bought out Musicland a few years ago.

Many years before that (the mid-1980's?) Musicland, dba Musicland or Discount Records or Aura Sounde, bought the Sam Goody stores from the Sam Goody family in New York(?). They bought up some other stores & chains over the years & opened a slew of stores on their own, too. Over the years, they renamed many of their Musicland stores as Sam Goody, & would even open a SG store in the same mall or center as one of their other stores. They also opened SunCoast and MediaPlay stores, too.

Eventually, struggling under the weight of all those stores & thinner margins & the low-balling of BB & other discount chains, they sold out to BB.

FYE bought up some other chains, too. I think they bought the Camelot stores when Camelot's business was hurting, too. Not sure about the Record Bar or Wherehouse chains, at least how they fit in this "family tree"...

Oh, and FYI, the link FW generates for Sam Goody is for a different company altogether. "Goody's" is a regional (mostly clothing) chain, always has been. I don't think "Sam Goody" has never been known as "Sam Goody's".

searoute24 said: I wouldn't be suprised. When it was The Warehouse, I still didn't shop there. $17.99 for a CD I can get for $9.99 at Best Buy was the reason. They changed the name, but not the game. Went inside and still high prices, even on used stuff. The business model is mildly flawed.A few months ago here in AZ, FYE took over some of the old Wherehouse stores. Hmmm....

Product: Coby 10.2" Portable DVD Player
Promotion: $150 Prepaid Visa Card with Purchase of Coby 10.2" Portable DVD Player from Participating Retailers
Valid Purchase Dates: 12-25-2007 through 01-16-2008
Postmarked By: 02-16-2008
Rebate Reward: $150.00 Prepaid Debit Card

from www.fyerebates.com

Didn't see a limit on the rebates. Anyone know if this is good for more than one?

What ever happened to the whole certificate deal from FYE? I legitimately bought one for $25 and one for $5. Used the second one but never got refund from first onw.

NOt sure but my local location is now up to 50% off all games. And yes they have halo, and halo collectors edition. I picked up collectors for $35

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014