.90 cents left on Visa Gift Card - What to do?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
What can I do with the .90 cents? Just toss it in the trash or can I actually spend the .90 cents?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just used my $50 Visa gift card to purchase something on eBay. Set it up as a credit card thru paypal. If the item i... (more)

jw530 (Feb. 05, 2008 @ 1:00a) |

90 cents applied to your phone bill online.. ie tmobile

danorthface (Feb. 05, 2008 @ 1:03a) |

I have been in this situation many times and have tried every idea in this thread. Trying to use the card at a store or... (more)

mapen (Feb. 05, 2008 @ 1:09a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Go to your local grocery store and buy a $0.90 grocery store gift card at customer service with your Visa gift card.

I might try that. thanks

swantz84 said: What can I do with the .90 cents? Just toss it in the trash or can I actually spend the .90 cents?

You can do partial payment at a grocery. If you spend $10.90, tell them you will give them $10 cash and put .90 on a visa gc. PAY THE CASH FIRST!, then balance is .90, so the transaction will get approved by Visa. It works fine and is an easy way to zero out the gift card.

that sounds better

Buy 90 cents of gas, you have to go inside and tell them you want 90 cents on whatever pump.

I wish I had a job where I could just throw money in the trash.

You can download a song at Wal-Mart. They are only .88 cents

get 2 % CashBack too, use it to add to CashBack balance

Wait for a Staples office $.49 promo with free ship, or other similar offer like the cookie tin offer recently or use with a sign-up offer if it doesn't hold $1. The best way to get a price mistake or unintended super-discount without the worry of them charging the card. Because They Can't.

I had one with $1.07 and used it for $.99 daily movie download.

MISTERCHEAP said: swantz84 said: What can I do with the .90 cents? Just toss it in the trash or can I actually spend the .90 cents?

You can do partial payment at a grocery. If you spend $10.90, tell them you will give them $10 cash and put .90 on a visa gc. PAY THE CASH FIRST!, then balance is .90, so the transaction will get approved by Visa. It works fine and is an easy way to zero out the gift card.

MISTERCHEAP said:

I do it the opposite way. When I have a small amount left, I tell the cashier to put that amount on the card. Then I pay the balance. That way my pea brain doesn't have to work.

Give it to a homeless person.

qube said: I wish I had a job where I could just throw money in the trash.

Stop volunteering and get a job that pays.

I would buy one of those $1 card at the supermarket, you know the ones for feeding the hungry? Add 10. cents and maybe you bought someone in need a nice meal.

When I have leftover amounts, I use it to pay my cell phone bill. I found with Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile, you can select credit card and then enter the amount to pay, so in theory, you could pay $.90 with it and pay the rest on another card.

i'll buy it for a dollar non-cc paypal or egold....

use it to put a down payment on a car.

I have 14 cents on one I just cant throw it away.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

zip77340 said: MISTERCHEAP said:

I do it the opposite way. When I have a small amount left, I tell the cashier to put that amount on the card. Then I pay the balance. That way my pea brain doesn't have to work.

You can't do it the opposite way at many stores for this reason:

IF you swipe the Visa first when your balance is $10.90, it will try and get approval for the entire amount and it will get rejected because there's only .90 cents on the card. Then the cashier will get ticked off and not let you put anything on it cause it was REJECTED!

You have to pay the balance down in cash to the remaining left on the visa (or AMEX or whatever) gift card, then swipe it so it shows a purchase of .90 that corresponds with the remaining amount on the gift card to get approved.

MISTERCHEAP said: You can't do it the opposite way at many stores for this reason:

IF you swipe the Visa first when your balance is $10.90, it will try and get approval for the entire amount and it will get rejected because there's only .90 cents on the card. Then the cashier will get ticked off and not let you put anything on it cause it was REJECTED!

You have to pay the balance down in cash to the remaining left on the visa (or AMEX or whatever) gift card, then swipe it so it shows a purchase of .90 that corresponds with the remaining amount on the gift card to get approved.
This also requires you to carefully add up your purchases and sales tax, or carry around a bunch of exact change to come up with the final bill minus 90 cents. It would be far easier to purchase a 90 cent grocery store gift card from customer service...use the 90 cent gift card first, then put the rest on your credit card. That way, no math is required, and you don't lose your credit card rewards.

jayK said: MISTERCHEAP said: You can't do it the opposite way at many stores for this reason:

This also requires you to carefully add up your purchases and sales tax, or carry around a bunch of exact change to come up with the final bill minus 90 cents. It would be far easier to purchase a 90 cent grocery store gift card from customer service...use the 90 cent gift card first, then put the rest on your credit card. That way, no math is required, and you don't lose your credit card rewards.

Jay,

I've done this myself, you don't need exact change. Let's say your bill is $15.10 final (with sales tax) for a grocery purchase and you want to put .90 on a Visa GC. So you pay $14.20 (hand her $15 and have her give you back .80) then put the .90 on the Visa GC.

The downside with your sugeestion is some supermarket chains only sell their gift cards in pre determined amounts ($10, 25, 50, etc.). If your chain will let you put only .90 on a gift card, great, otherwise, it's plan B.

What I propose does work, requires a little effort maybe, but is a decent way of spending the 90 cents on something you really use rather than tossing it out or getting a music download you may not really need all that bad.

So both of our ideas work for the OP, just depends what grocery store he shops at.

cmatthes1 said: Buy 90 cents of gas, you have to go inside and tell them you want 90 cents on whatever pump.

The gas station is going to hate you by the time they have to pay the fees for that small of a transaction (and they will lose money on you), but nothing illegal with doing so and probably the quickest way to cash it out.

I just used my $50 Visa gift card to purchase something on eBay. Set it up as a credit card thru paypal. If the item is less than the Visa gift card then no problem, but if the item costs more than the gift card, then you have to do something creative. First, I tell the seller I will be splitting the payment in two and pay for one with the gift card and the balance with the regular credit card. Paypal won't work if you use the auction link to pay for goods because you have to pay for the item in full and the gift card will get bounced. So I log into paypal separately and use the email address of the seller and check the box of tranaction as goods, services or other. For some reason the gift card transaction won't go thru if you specify a $50 payment for a $50 card, so I choose a $49.99 payment and it goes right thru. Then I use the regular credit card to pay the balance. I might lose a penny, but I got to use the gift card without the hassle of paying inside or confusing instructions at the grocery store.

I don't know how to use the last cent, however . I guess to answer the OP, I would split payment for an auction to use the remaining 89-90 cents.

90 cents applied to your phone bill online.. ie tmobile

I have been in this situation many times and have tried every idea in this thread. Trying to use the card at a store or gas station is usually a pain in the a$s because the cashier will most likely mess up the transaction or not understand what you want to do. You will most likely spend five minutes at the register while they try to figure things out.

The easiest way to use up that last $0.90 on your gift card is find a bill you can pay online, like your cable company, wireless company, or eBay. These sites often allow you to enter a specific amount to pay and charge to your card.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014