Best place to order new checks?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I did a search for "checks" and didn't find anything. Was wondering if there is a consensus on the cheapest, best offer to order new boxes of checks?

If there isn't a thread already, I'll be happy to maintain this one as a one-stop place for 1st time customers as well as returning customers for the best deal on ordering checks.

Three offers I found in the recent Sunday ad section of the newspaper:
Singles means 150 checks/box. Doubles means 125 checks/box

Price Format: 1 box / 2 boxes / 4 boxes

1. Styleschecks.com
First time customers -- $0.50 for 2nd box / Free Shipping, Free Special Typestyle
Singles: $6.95/$7.44/$14.39
Doubles: $$7.95/$8.44/$16.39
Online Code: ZB3451
Tax in AR and MD

2. ChecksUnlimited.com (5% Fat cash available)
First time Customers: "4th box free" / Free Shipping, Free Custom Lettering
Singles: $5.50/$11.00/$16.50
Doubles: $6.50/$13.00/$19.50
Online Code: RND5
Tax in CO

3. Checks In the Mail / mycitm.com
First time Customers: Shop Online to save $1 off per box
Singles: $3.99/$7.98/$11.97
Doubles: $5.99/$11.98/$17.97
Online Code: NS08
Tax in TX

4. Walmartchecks.com
First time & Repeat customers
Note: 1 box = 240 checks (singles), 175 checks (doubles)
Singles: $5.96 / $11.92 / $23.84
Doubles: $6.96 / $13.92 / $27.84
Add $2.50 for standard shipping, ~$5.00 for DHL

5. Costco
Members only. Executive members save add'l 20%
Note: 1 box = 200 checks (singles), 150 checks (doubles)
Singles: 2 boxes for $10.59 / 4 boxes for $21.18
Doubles: 2 boxes for $11.59 / 4 boxes for $23.18
Add $4.95 standard shipping (might be free)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That's my plan. I qualify to switch to another plan that would give me free "basic" checks. If I do switch, I lose my ... (more)

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Jan. 20, 2008 @ 6:23p) |

I don't see how in the world you did a search for 'checks' and failed to find multiple threads that are still active.

Go ... (more)

mikeres (Jan. 23, 2008 @ 1:26a) |

thanks OP.

i used styleschecks.com. i got the "free shipping/free typestyle" but there was a $3.90 "handling" charge that... (more)

chronotrigger (Jan. 28, 2008 @ 4:10p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Who still use paper checks?

If it's a bill, use your bank's bill-pay service.

If it is a store, use a credit card. Or a debit card if you must.

In those ultra-rare "once in 5 years" instances where you absolutely need a paper check and can't use bill-pay, such as enclosing $6 to the State Corporate Comission for "copywork fees", go buy a money order for $1.

I haven't had a need to write a paper check since for ever. Spend your money for something more useful.

I use costco. Current promotion (i think 25% off?). Going to order in a month or so. google 'costco wallet offers"

I didn't start the thread to debate whether or not you need checks. I've minimized check writing as well, using all the methods you outlined above, plus Paypal, etc. But, sometimes you just need a check. You mentioned paying $1 for a money order, 5 or so times a year. WHy not just pay $5.50 and have 150 checks for you to use?

Like it or not, some people still like to use checks. I just wanted to have a discussion on where the best place to get them was.

Places I need checks:
Condo assessment bill, monthly.
Settling money differences with friends, co-workers, etc.
Paying State Medical Licensing Fees

Sometimes you just need a check...

WalMart has 240 checks for $5.96 (singles), and 175 for $6.96 (doubles).

Roaringone said: WalMart has 240 checks for $5.96 (singles), and 175 for $6.96 (doubles).

EDIT: walmartchecks.com -- add $2.50 for standard shipping, ~$5.00 for DHL.

MaxRC said: Who still use paper checks?

In those ultra-rare "once in 5 years" instances where you absolutely need a paper check and can't use bill-pay, such as enclosing $6 to the State Corporate Comission for "copywork fees", go buy a money order for $1.

I haven't had a need to write a paper check since for ever. Spend your money for something more useful.

My township Charges sewer fees quarterly and they do not accept cash, credit card, or magic beans. They want check or money order. Also, my Homeowners association just started doing automatic withdrawls in January. Prior to that it was all checks. Not everyone's systems are caught up to the times, and while I've been able to minimize my paper check writing, they are still very relevant in 2008.

Even though MaxRc phrased it wrong, I agree.

Net it is not worth your time to shop for checks because it is so infrequent. I write maybe 50 checks a year, and if I pay an extra couple bucks for the 500 check order every 10 years it isn't worth researching to find the best deal. You already looked at a couple places just order the checks and move on or find a place that gives you free checks (like Fidelity).

Also all the things you listed you could bill pay via something like Fidelity Bill Pay.

The only think I write checks for is my cleaning lady. Friends and family get the checks from bill pay.

I'm actually quite interested in this as well. I am down to my last check and debating where to re-order from.

MaxRC said: Who still use paper checks?

My ex-wife doesn't accept bill-pay, credit cards, debit cards, or money orders.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: MaxRC said: Who still use paper checks?

My ex-wife doesn't accept bill-pay, credit cards, debit cards, or money orders.

So I guess the magic beans are out of the question!

Thanks ceobeaver for using the term "magic beans". It made me laugh for two minutes straight!

I use checks in the mail (have for years and years) and have had excellent service and checks from them. I live in Texas so I usually get my checks in a week. I always order the free shipping. They process in a couple of days, so it doesn't pay to pay for expedited shipping.

I tried check's unlimited for my grandson's account and it was an inferior product, took much longer and I had to call to have them make the order again. Their fault, not mine. I tried them because their checks were cheaper, but it wasn't a good idea. I'll stick with CITM.

I doubt anything can beat WAMU Free checking. Free checks for life baby.

my last batch came from WalMartchecks.com

Bmr4life said: I doubt anything can beat WAMU Free checking. Free checks for life baby.

USAA also does that

inda said: Bmr4life said: I doubt anything can beat WAMU Free checking. Free checks for life baby.

USAA also does that

Looks like you have to be military or related to one to use that bank. WAMU is for the public, but probably isn't in every state.

Wow, I have been putting off ordering checks. Play nice being a cyber bully is redundant and boring.
My doctor bill copays that bill by mail after medicare require me to write 5 checks a month.

if you have a nice big home loan with your bank or any reasonable savings/brokerage they usually give you checks for free always. nothing pretty but free is free.

and ex-wives take billpay; billpay sends them a check??

Check with your bank and see if there's some modification you can make to your account to get free checks (i.e. you may already qualify if you keep a certain balance in there etc.) That's what I do. Haven't paid for checks in years.

snarler said: Check with your bank and see if there's some modification you can make to your account to get free checks (i.e. you may already qualify if you keep a certain balance in there etc.) That's what I do. Haven't paid for checks in years.That's my plan. I qualify to switch to another plan that would give me free "basic" checks. If I do switch, I lose my grandfathered unlimited non-bank ATM withdrawals; they now only give 2 free per statement cycle. I rarely use another bank's ATM, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I can always go to the grocery store, buy something cheap and get some Cash Back.

hellyea81 said: I did a search for "checks" and didn't find anything. Was wondering if there is a consensus on the cheapest, best offer to order new boxes of checks?

If there isn't a thread already, I'll be happy to maintain this one as a one-stop place for 1st time customers as well as returning customers for the best deal on ordering checks.
I don't see how in the world you did a search for 'checks' and failed to find multiple threads that are still active.

Go to the top of your screen and choose "Forums Search".
Where it says "search phrase" enter 'checks' (no quotes needed)
Where it says "find in", set it to "Title"
Where it says "which messages?", select "active"
Where it say "forums" select "Finance" and "Hot Deals" and "Deal Discussion"
How hit the SEARCH button.
You will be returned the top 20 out of 20 search results.
Not all links returned will be what you are looking for,
However the first three links returned relate to ordering or reordering new checks as does a few others.

After you are through reviewing these links, repeat your search, but instead of searching Active links, this time search for Archived links. There will be many many other relevant links returned.

I'll leave it up to the mods whether or not to lock this thread with so many other threads already addressing this issue.

hellyea81 said: 1. Styleschecks.com
First time customers -- $0.50 for 2nd box / Free Shipping, Free Special Typestyle
Singles: $6.95/$7.44/$14.39
Doubles: $$7.95/$8.44/$16.39
Online Code: ZB3451
Tax in AR and MD

thanks OP.

i used styleschecks.com. i got the "free shipping/free typestyle" but there was a $3.90 "handling" charge that couldn't be avoided. total for me was 7.44 + 3.90.

the free shipping is "untrackable" and can take from 8-10 days, according to the site's description.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014