Tube TVs are there any left?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My 25" Zenith in my bedroom just bit the big one last night... Went up in a puff of silicon smoke! I have been looking for another 25" tube TV and can't find one anywhere for the life of me. Even online is coming up with zilch. I know the HDTV change is happening next year but we have always had cable in my home so it doesnt affect us. I REALLY don't want to get an LCD for my bedroom, and I would like a tube TV.

Do stores still sell them? I havent seen one in Best Buy, Circuit City at all... Is there somewhere online I can get a deal on a new TV?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
agreed, Sony is not too shabby. the best part of Sony vs Sony counterparts is they usually have great quality. Sony is g... (more)

STEALfromCAGgive2FW (Mar. 02, 2008 @ 9:10p) |

Samsung flat-tube TVs at Best Buy

We had this one at our local Sears. Great picture of a tube tv but far thinner. I think... (more)

TaroReadr (Mar. 02, 2008 @ 10:12p) |

I saw analog cable on a Sharp Aquos LCD a few years ago, and it was horrible. Simply unwatchable.

airtommy (Mar. 06, 2008 @ 12:28a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

uh, bestbuy should have plenty

Why not get an HD tube?

I bought a brand new Sony 30" Widedcreen HD tube tv 4 years ago for $900 and they now go for $250 on eBay.

There are fantastic deals on tubes if you look hard. Good luck finding any reviews or new ones though. Because they were pulled from the market a couple of years back.

Also, they STILL offer THE best black levels of ANY TV out there.

You can pick up one on Craigslist for cheap.

inphoenix said: You can pick up one on Craigslist for cheap.
or free, at least here in SF bay area I see them all the time, even nice panasonic and Sony tubes in that size

Look next to the Betamax for one. FYI HDTV is not coming.....the switch to digital IS coming though.

Why not get a LCD. The cost in energy savings alone over a 25" tube tv is well worth it, not to mention other pluses.

It is 2008.....not 1978.

Tube TVs are most definitely still available...try checking your local electronics store, Target, or Wal*mart. As others have said, Craigslist is another good bet.

JVC and Samsung both make excellent tube TVs, the picture quality on my JVC 32" tube TV is easily better than plasma or LCD TVs. I don't think they make 25" tube TVs any more, you may want to look at a 27".

BTW there is no "HDTV change" happening next year, the only thing changing is that you won't be able to get analog TV signals over the air. As you said, since you have cable you will not be affected.

jayK said: Tube TVs are most definitely still available...try checking your local electronics store, Target, or Wal*mart. As others have said, Craigslist is another good bet.

I have checked for Tube TVs at Target, Kmart, WalMart, and CC, found :
* not much selections
* bad picture quality (my 10 yrs old TV is far better in quality with OTA)
* only no name brands available
* and prices are also not very cheap

People posted TVs in craigslist (at least in charlotte area) are really crazy.
* Free TVs listed are not in working condition.
* Other tube TVs (cpl of years old), they ask almost the retail price to 50% of what they've bought.

I agree. Best Buy online has tube TVS are over $400 and the brands are only off brands (what is Dynex?), I went to WalMart, Circuit City and BB locally and they had NO tube TVs in stock at all. I would rather new but I guess I may have to go with craigslist. The free ones all looked older then what I had, so I will have to pay for one, Not trying to go over $100 for a used TV though. I too saw a used console TV for $500 so some are being quite unreasonable with their pricing.

For the record, We do have HDTVs and flatscreens in our home, but in my bedroom I would rather NOT have an LCD for my own reasons. I've been an IT professional for 11 years and our house is FULL of technology. We're in a condo and for ME, I would just rather a tube TV to set my DVD recorder and VCR on and call it a day, they all take up residence on top of my dresser and it works for me. I have no desire to mount an LCD in my bedroom at all either, so I guess I will have to continue searching online (and pray for free shipping) or go with used.

OnePenny said: jayK said: Tube TVs are most definitely still available...try checking your local electronics store, Target, or Wal*mart. As others have said, Craigslist is another good bet.

I have checked for Tube TVs at Target, Kmart, WalMart, and CC, found :
* not much selections

People posted TVs in craigslist (at least in charlotte area) are really crazy.
* Free TVs listed are not in working condition.
* Other tube TVs (cpl of years old), they ask almost the retail price to 50% of what they've bought.
look for a Sony wega and remember shipping costs. these beasts are heavy.

OnePenny said: I have checked for Tube TVs at Target, Kmart, WalMart, and CC, found :
* not much selections
The last time I bought a tube TV was in 2006 (bought a JVC flatscreen 32" for $400 from BB), so I guess things have changed.

Here are a couple options:
Samsung "slim-fit" 27" for $400:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8293508&type=product&id=1172880154345

RCA 24" for $200 (RCA is a decent middle-of-the-road brand):
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5633690

JVC tube TVs are now very hard to find, there is one 27" available through Amazon via Pavilion Electronics for ~$400:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-AV27MF47-Analog-Direct-Television/dp/B000R1FOD0

I've seen several JVC TVs on Craigslist for under $150 though.

I was just out looking myself a couple weeks back, and ended up with an RCA from WallyWorld. There sure isn't much to choose from, and most are junk. The RCAs there definitely had the best picture of the bunch, but were only in stock in the 14" and 20" sizes. They do have a Orion made set for $199.87 that is actually not bad for a cheap 27" (I've seen this set sold under many brands at different stores, no doubt to prevent price matching).

Personally after buying a 20" RCA that had a terrible picture (defective), I returned - they were sold out - ended up taking the 14" version for $120. Has an excellent picture.

Funny thing is, a freind just gave me his 14 year old Magnavox (Philips) 27" set. Never been serviced - I had it open for the first time to blow the dust out of it. Was the family main set for years, retired to the bedroom, and just replaced with a plasma set. The picture on that old Magnavox is better than the 27" sets in the stores today. Hopefully you can find a good used one - this new stuff is junk.

I've got a 27" you can have. Come get it. PM me for location.

Craigslist. So many of them are free, sometimes even 50" working projections. Why buy when there are free ones out there. FW rules?

jayK said:
JVC tube TVs are now very hard to find, there is one 27" available through Amazon via Pavilion Electronics for ~$400:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-AV27MF47-Analog-Direct-Television/dp/B000R1FOD0

Pavilion wants $309.45 for shipping - funny.

staceyanna said: I agree. Best Buy online has tube TVS are over $400 and the brands are only off brands (what is Dynex?), I went to WalMart, Circuit City and BB locally and they had NO tube TVs in stock at all. I would rather new but I guess I may have to go with craigslist. The free ones all looked older then what I had, so I will have to pay for one, Not trying to go over $100 for a used TV though. I too saw a used console TV for $500 so some are being quite unreasonable with their pricing.

For the record, We do have HDTVs and flatscreens in our home, but in my bedroom I would rather NOT have an LCD for my own reasons. I've been an IT professional for 11 years and our house is FULL of technology. We're in a condo and for ME, I would just rather a tube TV to set my DVD recorder and VCR on and call it a day, they all take up residence on top of my dresser and it works for me. I have no desire to mount an LCD in my bedroom at all either, so I guess I will have to continue searching online (and pray for free shipping) or go with used.

Dynex is a Best Buy brand(owned by Best Buy). Buy with extreme caution.

As already suggested, look for a S.ony WEGA. Even a used one will be better than any other new tube TV you're likely to find.

I have a 36" S.ony WEGA (about 6 years old) and all my LCD/plasma owning friends admire the picture quality, which in my opinion is still more realistic than the LCD/plasmas I've seen. While I'm obviously going to have to buy one soon enough, and even though I see and even appreciate LCD/plasma sharpness and (unnaturally) bright colors, I can't quite bring myself to like them better than the S.ony. Another advantage is the WEGA's normally have very good sounding speakers.

What's the issue here? If CRT's are too hard to find, too expensive, and have crappy pictures, then why wouldn't you go with an LCD? They are cheap, plentiful and have a great picture.

VHS playback does not look good on many LCDs or Plasmas. Analog cable also often has this same problem. If you mainly watch VHS tapes, you will have a hard time finding any LCD that plays them as well as a CRT does. The LCDs that have a good upscaler (usually only the most expensive brands) work great for standard definition digital cable or DVD, but not for VHS. The upscalers are just not optimized to work well with a noisy analog picture.

OnePenny said:

i see plenty one nulltwo three etc

arribasn said: OnePenny said:

i see plenty one nulltwo three etc

Thank you.

drodge said: What's the issue here? If CRT's are too hard to find, too expensive, and have crappy pictures, then why wouldn't you go with an LCD? They are cheap, plentiful and have a great picture.

Depends on what your budget is when shopping for a new set. A friend of mine bought one of those Orion 27" sets that come under several brands (his was Brooksonic from HH Gregg - but they are sold under many other brands) and after a touch-up of the focus and picture settings dialed down from "flame mode", it had a respectable digital picture. You can't get an LCD set of similar size for that price. In a post above, I mentioned a 14" RCA set I bought for $120 - a 15" LCD would have been close to twice the price, and the picture would not be significantly better at a normal viewing distance.

staceyanna said: What is Dynex?Hmmm....interesting:

www.dynexproducts.com

10. Owner and Operator of the Dynex Web site
Best Buy Stores, LP is the owner and operator of the Dynex Web site.

If you were in Memphis, I'd sell you my 32in tube for $100.

Thrift shops have some.

You could also watch tv on your computer.

If you really want a tube type TV that big and get a decent quality one, mail order is probably your best bet. The few tube type TV's in the stores are low end and/or smaller.

Check Craigslist. I sold a 25" Samsung tube tv with excellent picture quality for $40 a couple months back.

I believe samsung is developing flat tube tv's for developing countries, such as Mexico. maybe you can find one in Mexico.

riznick said: I believe samsung is developing flat tube tv's for developing countries, such as Mexico. maybe you can find one in Mexico.Samsung flat-tube TVs at Best Buy

cga said: As already suggested, look for a S.ony WEGA. Even a used one will be better than any other new tube TV you're likely to find.

I have a 36" S.ony WEGA (about 6 years old) and all my LCD/plasma owning friends admire the picture quality, which in my opinion is still more realistic than the LCD/plasmas I've seen. While I'm obviously going to have to buy one soon enough, and even though I see and even appreciate LCD/plasma sharpness and (unnaturally) bright colors, I can't quite bring myself to like them better than the S.ony. Another advantage is the WEGA's normally have very good sounding speakers.

agreed, Sony is not too shabby. the best part of Sony vs Sony counterparts is they usually have great quality. Sony is great. especially when it comes to Sony tube tv's. I think Sony is the best bet, compared to non-Sony tv's. I picked upa Sony the other day and my brother noticed the Sony as well. Sony seems to have a good overall quality. also, Sony doesn't seem hard to find. Sony sony Sony.

Sony
Sony
Sony
Sony

Samsung flat-tube TVs at Best Buy

We had this one at our local Sears. Great picture of a tube tv but far thinner. I think it was marked on clearance though so ymmv.

jaract said: Analog cable also often has this same problem.
I saw analog cable on a Sharp Aquos LCD a few years ago, and it was horrible. Simply unwatchable.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014