L.A. Fitness deals?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Best deal I could find on LA Fitness so far was $30/month with no initial registration fee. Seems kinda steep, so I was hoping someone on here could help me out with some better deals.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That's a great deal. It's usually like $150 reg fee and $40/month, but I guess it depends on region.

Is there really such a thing as a "good" health club deal?

Hold off on the flames and hear me out.

I have belonged to a number of health clubs and they all had a few things in common:
Went out of business or were bought by another chain and there was no longer a location close to me.
Equipment got run down and repairs or replacements took waaaaaay too long.
I either lost interest in going or had a life style change (new job, moved) and was stuck paying for something I couldn't use.

Maybe LA is different...their commercials sure look nice.

Ruger said: I either lost interest in going

Because that's the health clubs' fault, tub o' lard.

Ruger said: Is there really such a thing as a "good" health club deal?

Hold off on the flames and hear me out.

I have belonged to a number of health clubs and they all had a few things in common:
Went out of business or were bought by another chain and there was no longer a location close to me.
Equipment got run down and repairs or replacements took waaaaaay too long.
I either lost interest in going or had a life style change (new job, moved) and was stuck paying for something I couldn't use.

Maybe LA is different...their commercials sure look nice.

Sorry, to hear about your bad luck with gyms. Like the other guy said... losing interest isn't really their fault. In terms of the gyms here, L.A. Fitness built brand new gyms all over southern California. They have been around for over 20 years and will likely stay in business for many more years to come. Everyone I know is a member and are VERY happy with the quality of the places they go to. From San Diego to LA, they all look very similar, have high quality equipment and are almost all brand new. Most people I know have been members so long that they get ridiculous deals, but unfortunately I didn't take advantage of those when I had the chance. I'd be happy with something like $20/month if possible.

I got the same deal at la fitness, and love that place. best gym I have ever been to in terms of equipment and overall value

do it

Ok, here is my experience which just happened on Friday Apr 06, 2008 at a local LA Fitness in the Atlanta, Georgia area . I was looking for a gym to join and LA Fitness was on the top because of their many locations near my home and work and the classes they provide . I was finding that their price was much to high for me at 34.99 a month ( no sign on fee) or 43.99 nationwide. I was willing to pre-pay since, I am know for my commitment to working-out. So, I asked about this. The sales person told me if would be $839.88 for 2 year pre-paid, 1 free year ( 23.88 month x 36 months basically) . Way too much for me. So, I went to visit another gym American Bodyworks, not my type of club, no classes provided here but 24 hour access. They offered me a pre-paid at 199.99 for 17 months ( 12 months + 5 free months ). I then went back with the information in my mind and a business card in my hand and spoke to the sales person again. Story short, $630.00 pre-paid for 3 years ($17.50 a month for 36 months) a savings of $208.88.
If you are willing to make this type of pre-paid commitment you can pretty much set your price. WE need to realize that LA Fitness and other gyms need US. All of the equipment is paid for so, we are a total revenue source for them, that they ARE NOT going to leave the money on the table and let you walk out. If they do go to another location and try again or try asking for the locations manager.
Good luck, I felt lucky !

RichCPZ said: Ok, here is my experience which just happened on Friday Apr 06, 2008 at a local LA Fitness in the Atlanta, Georgia area . I was looking for a gym to join and LA Fitness was on the top because of their many locations near my home and work and the classes they provide . I was finding that their price was much to high for me at 34.99 a month ( no sign on fee) or 43.99 nationwide. I was willing to pre-pay since, I am know for my commitment to working-out. So, I asked about this. The sales person told me if would be $839.88 for 2 year pre-paid, 1 free year ( 23.88 month x 36 months basically) . Way too much for me. So, I went to visit another gym American Bodyworks, not my type of club, no classes provided here but 24 hour access. They offered me a pre-paid at 199.99 for 17 months ( 12 months + 5 free months ). I then went back with the information in my mind and a business card in my hand and spoke to the sales person again. Story short, $630.00 pre-paid for 3 years ($17.50 a month for 36 months) a savings of $208.88.
If you are willing to make this type of pre-paid commitment you can pretty much set your price. WE need to realize that LA Fitness and other gyms need US. All of the equipment is paid for so, we are a total revenue source for them, that they ARE NOT going to leave the money on the table and let you walk out. If they do go to another location and try again or try asking for the locations manager.
Good luck, I felt lucky !

congrats on the awesome deal! I wish I saw your deal a few weeks ago. It seems my LA fitness here in San Diego, CA isn't too keen on giving away deals because as it is the gym is ridiculously packed. I was however offered a pretty decent 3 year commitment. The deal they offered me was $720 for 3 years. For about 20 bucks a month, I guess I can't really complain. It's an awesome gym and everything's brand new and very high end equipment. After a bit of talking to them, they also offered to split the $720 between two months so I wouldn't have $720 put on my credit card all at the same time. A month offset isn't too big of a deal, but at least it gives me some time.

Overall I'm pretty happy. Basically in the end I'm getting about a year free because the best month to month deal is $30/month. As long as I use it for those 3 years, I'm in good shape (no pun intended).

I guess there is not enough competition or options for you in San Diego. It sounds like you did good to for your area. Just remember when your time runs out to again work your best deal. My agreement says $299 per year on the renewal. But, it's obvious I wouldn't spend more than $200.00. But, for others out there who are looking for a gym, find the competition and then goto LA Fitness with your LOW BALL price and negotiate the price until you reach your comfortable amount. It seem that they are willing to work more with the pre-paid amounts than with the month to month.

Ok, now get to the gym...... cause each day you miss cost you money....

I am in the Atlanta area. Would you mind telling me in which location you were able to get your great deal?
Thanks for sharing the information.

Serge

I went to the Peachtree corner location. But, I laid out what I wanted up front, cause I did not want to waste my time or theirs if they weren't going to work with me. So, shop around some other clubs then carry the business card of the "gyms" toss them down and tell them what you want...
Good Luck, please post your results...Then look for me at the LA Fitness....

This is my experience negotiating at the LA Fitness in the Perimeter Mall area of Atlanta. Went in on the last day of the month, hoping to get a deal on either month-to-month or 3 year prepaid for my wife and myself. I think they are opening a new location even closer to our house in 2009, so we were focused more on the pre-paid plan.

Their list price was $1059 for a 3 year prepaid ($29.40 a month). We said we would sign up if we could each get $899. They said, as of 3 months ago, their new corporate policy is that they don't negotiate. They said this is because customers were just bouncing from one Atlanta location to another, trying to get the best deal possible, and the LA fitness sales staffs were all in competition with each other. I don't know if the guy was just making that up, but it makes sense, as that is exactly what we were planning on doing.

Told him we would have to think about it and started to get up. Guy said he would call his VP. Came back and offered us 3 year prepaid at $950 per person, and $240 for each additional year. Maybe not the best deal, but we signed up.

TonyTouch said: This is my experience negotiating at the LA Fitness in the Perimeter Mall area of Atlanta. Went in on the last day of the month, hoping to get a deal on either month-to-month or 3 year prepaid for my wife and myself. I think they are opening a new location even closer to our house in 2009, so we were focused more on the pre-paid plan.

Their list price was $1059 for a 3 year prepaid ($29.40 a month). We said we would sign up if we could each get $899. They said, as of 3 months ago, their new corporate policy is that they don't negotiate. They said this is because customers were just bouncing from one Atlanta location to another, trying to get the best deal possible, and the LA fitness sales staffs were all in competition with each other. I don't know if the guy was just making that up, but it makes sense, as that is exactly what we were planning on doing.

Told him we would have to think about it and started to get up. Guy said he would call his VP. Came back and offered us 3 year prepaid at $950 per person, and $240 for each additional year. Maybe not the best deal, but we signed up.

Sounds like he was giving you a load of BS. 950 for 3 years pre paid is pretty expensive as it is. $1059 would have been almost the same as paying month to month for the full $30/month price. I dunno if something significantly changed in the last few months, but it sounds like you got ripped off.

Signed up on a 3 year prepaid plan for $720 = $20/ month. This plan has no other fees. If i want to cancel b4 the 3years i get teh prorated balance back. Just ask for it..otherwise they charge $25-35/ month with an enormous initian fee between $99-250

LA Fitness is 10X better than 24 hr fitness and Ballys esp at the newer clubs.....enjoy

What area are you in? My daughter got ripped off last nite! She was verbally told she could go to any location... being a college student she can't be tied down to one location. They were waiving the initiation fees. But then the contract she signed is NOT for all locations--only the one she signed up at. She went back to talk to the manager and he wouldn't budge. Said that offer no longer applies. She signed up for $30/month but only at one location. I told her to cancel immediately. I don't know what else to do. But I wonder .... you got a prepaid plan for $20/month. Is this in the San Diego area?

yea, my deal for $720/3 years was in San Diego. I went to the Rancho Bernardo location. I would assume they'll still give this deal. Just make sure to mention that you're willing to prepay for 3 years. Any LA fitness membership should work at all LA fitnesses as far as I know. I've gone to at least 3 different locations so far and have never had an issue.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014