Need tips on blow-up mattress

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was going to buy one for occassional guests, but when looking at the array of brands and prices, I got a little lost.

Can anyone recommend me a reasonable/good blow-up mattress for indoor (not camping) use?

Thanks for all input.

LTZ

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Target has a cheap inflatable mattress with a pump for under $30, it doesn't have a fancy name brand but there have been no complaints from our guests.

We picked up a fairly nice one at Sam's last weekend for our trip. It's king size and unzips into 2 separate twins. It comes with built in battery powered pumps, 1 for each side. It includes a car charger and a wall charger for the battery packs (included also). It inflates and deflates very quicky, within a few minutes.

What I liked about it was that if you have 2 people sleeping on it, 1 person doesn't bounce the other one around while moving around since its a separate air chamber.

It was $50, we bought it in Greenville, SC, but I'd assume it's nationwide.

I got one last Christmas for around $15 (including pump) on sale at CVS (regularly around $25 I think). It is a full/queen size and has worked wonderfully the many times it has been used. Combining with CVS coupons could make it even less.

Just remember these are only a small step up from sleeping on the floor.
They are ok for kids, but adults will not have a good nights sleep on them.
I slept on a Queen aerobed a few months ago, tossed and turned all night and
was very uncomfortable.

Thanks all.

Robby69,
are you referring to the cheap ones, or air-mattresses in general? I think we're all aware that it is not a real mattress, and that indeed is the point, i want sometihng that folds away easily. But if you can recommend a higher grade one, I'm all ears.

ltz

I've bought mine at WalMart..no special brand - what ever was cheapest.

They all seemed to work out well..had about 3 of them. Used them often for guests and also a whole lot for camping - the full size much nicer than my rubberized old fashioned camping single air mattresses. Never paid more than 50.00.

Under inflating them seemed to be the key to the best sleep experience.

robby69 said: Just remember these are only a small step up from sleeping on the floor.
They are ok for kids, but adults will not have a good nights sleep on them.
I slept on a Queen aerobed a few months ago, tossed and turned all night and
was very uncomfortable.

I have this Queen Aerobed. I got for my own use because when my parents visit they kick me out of my room. It took me a couple nights to get used to but I found it much better than the floor. Unlike the poster above mine, I found that I preferred to inflate it very firm.

One major tip: Avoid the ones with the channels. What I mean by that is some air mattresses look like 5 or so tubes stuck together. They have lines running from head to foot, VERY uncomfortable. The kind with the little discs all over are much better. Picture examples:

Good Mattress

Bad Mattress

I'm a poor sleeper to begin with so call me princess and the pea but the tube type suck. Also the slightly underinflating trick does help a little.

i suggest the intex queen sized raised air mattress. it sits about 20" off the ground (i think mine is 30"), and when covered with sheets it appears to be a full mattress. it's pretty tough for the price.

i bought mine in '02 and it's worked great since. i would say it gets medium to heavy usage with no holes, no leaks. i used it as my primary mattress for over a year and now its a guest mattress. it's by far the nicest air mattress i've used to date. and the price is the zinger.

the pump battery "feature" can be a pain because if the battery is low you can't use the a/c directly-- you have to let the battery charge.

i payed $50 for mine at k-mart back when k-mart was around, and have seen them at a couple other places for around the same price. you can find them online for ~$50 but watch out for shipping. here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/66717-Raised-AirBed-Mattress-electric/dp/B0000B140S/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1210031042&sr=8-5

i will warn that getting the groove on can be a challenge as you can tip off the side easily. it might add to the excitement in some cases.

Would agree that the Sam's model, for $50, is perfect...flexible,fast, and nice quality

UncleRico said: We picked up a fairly nice one at Sam's last weekend for our trip. It's king size and unzips into 2 separate twins. It comes with built in battery powered pumps, 1 for each side. It includes a car charger and a wall charger for the battery packs (included also). It inflates and deflates very quicky, within a few minutes.

What I liked about it was that if you have 2 people sleeping on it, 1 person doesn't bounce the other one around while moving around since its a separate air chamber.

It was $50, we bought it in Greenville, SC, but I'd assume it's nationwide.

If a pump isn't included, use a hair dryer on the cool setting to inflate mattress.

Def get one from Costco. I have had several throughout the years and eventually, they ALL seem to leak. Get the Coleman queen size from Costco for $30. It comes with a battery operated pump. And, once it ever starts leaking, take it back and exchange. I just did this two days ago. Good luck!

If you have a Big Lots nearby, check them, I got a coleman mattress,which you can use as two twin beds, or zip them together for a king size. Then you can put the whole thing together and it turns into a couch. I think I paid $25 for it. It does come with a battery pump.

Buy from Costco. I made the mistake of buying a 24" high Queen Aerobed from Linen and Things and it started leaking right after the 1 year warranty was up. It was imposible to find the leak since it has two layers.

thanks all. due to time constraints and traveling, i ended up getting this coleman at Amazon. it doesn't have a pump, but i have one at home.

i may return it and go to costco when the time comes.

damm stupid Topic Alert.

Shahhere

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014