Ralphs no longer does double coupons

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
what's up with that? That was the only main reason I shopped there... they changed their policy and now will only double 0.50 cent coupons to $1. All other coupons are just taken at face value. plus, they've gotten really strict on everything and let the coupon rather than common sense rule their store... Vons here I come!!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They started this policy last week and I agree that it stinks. But it looks like they are now following the standard Kroger double coupon policy from what I found here.

I just hope that Vons doesn't follow suit as well, but since Ralphs changed their policy what is to stop them.

philosofy said: They started this policy last week and I agree that it stinks. But it looks like they are now following the standard Kroger double coupon policy from what I found here.

I just hope that Vons doesn't follow suit as well, but since Ralphs changed their policy what is to stop them.

I know... and they have the new member cards, i asked what the difference was to the old one and the employee said i'll be able to save more money, and their touting the slogan of "lower prices." but i would save more money with the doubled coupons than with them lowering a product by a few cents. also, they give you a whopping $5.00 for what, every $500 you spend? Again, I would save A LOT more with the doubled coupons. I never cared much for Vons, but with the coupon option, I'll save more there. Ended up buying cereal for $1/box, and Keebler cookies for like $1.25 a pack.

all in all, what aggravates me most is that I was a pretty regular customer, but now they're so strict there, and not as friendly. I really don't like going there now at all. Last week I bought a box of baby food, with 18 jars. when i got home and opened the box, guess what i found? A DISGUSTING mass of mold! It looks the jars broke and sat on the shelf for a long time to form that much mold. I took it back to Ralphs and let the cashier look at it. I told her she should refund my money AND give me a replacement box for my trouble. I told her I was all ready to feed my baby and what do i find? a box full of mold! so i have to go through the inconvience of going back to the store and returning it. she said she could refund my money, or replace it, but not both. what could i do? i needed the food so i just replaced it, but what happened to customer satisfaction? i thought they were pretty rude.

At least Albertsons and Safeway has them, limit 4. (Albs takes the SF coupons)

is this nationwide or only regional

moogoo541 said: is this nationwide or only regional

Apparently all Ralphs stopped doubles

It seems as though it may be regional. I just looked at my current ad and it mentions that they double coupons everyday plus when I on Tues they were still doubling up to $1. Just looking at the current ad it even says they still double to $1. This is in Orange County, CA area.

Erick13 said: It seems as though it may be regional. I just looked at my current ad and it mentions that they double coupons everyday plus when I on Tues they were still doubling up to $1. Just looking at the current ad it even says they still double to $1. This is in Orange County, CA area.

If it helps Im in San Diego and they started this new coupon reduction policy last week, probably on Wed when the new ad started.

moogoo541 said: is this nationwide or only regional

It is regional, as far as I know this only for the San Diego area.

I highly recommend calling customer service and letting them know that you do not like their new policies and attitude and will be shopping at Vons now. You could also say that you were thinking about using your stimulus check for the GC deal but decided against it because of this sudden change. Also, calling Vons and telling them that they now have your business could help keep them doubling. Vons did away with doubling awhile ago but since Albs stopped taking competitor q's some Vons have now started accepting them so maybe (hopefully) Vons will take the opportunity to steal some customers...which could then lead to Ralphs changing back.

I'm not in the affected area, but I'm worried that if the policy goes over well in San Diego then it'll spread.

thanks... maybe i should do that.. i know it's silly but i'm still miffed by them and don't want to go there at all! even if they might have a few things on sale for a good price. it's a matter of principle.

Bumping because the rumor is that this policy change is moving into LA and OC, among other areas by the end of the month.

I've avoided Vons for awhile because the ones around me frequently seem to have a nasty attitude about coupons, but as long as they keep doubling I guess I will have to learn to deal with it. I really hope they decide to stick with doubling, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Even with Ralphs' increasingly high prices, getting 1% back doesn't seem like a good deal at all.

edit: it's in the new ads, the policy changes on the 25th to the one used in San Diego now. So the 24th is the last day for the current policy.

Bumping because today is the last day for Ralphs across socal to double up to $1 and it is the last day for the various clubs (senior, pet, and wine) so if you're almost finished with any of those you should probably hurry up and max them out today. Tomorrow the policy changes to match the one being used in San Diego.
freebies like:
Vlasic relish with coupon from vlasic.com (enter contest, I think)
Hungry man frozen dinners with coupon from http://www.hungrymansweeps.com/

and there lots of other freebies using older coupons from the newspaper that won't work tomorrow.

I guess it's about time for me to get a Vons card.

Riverside, CA
Ralphs last day for doubles is today! There is a commercial for it on the radio. They told me two weeks ago when I went that it was happening the next week but I think they allowed another week for a buffer.
Supposedly they are supposed to lower prices to comp with Stater Brothers and Food 4 Less- I'll believe that when I see it!!

I was at Vons two weeks ago thinking that I was doubling coupons but they DON'T do it anymore!
Vons is way over priced anyway.

I hate grocery shopping but I loved double coupons because it made it a game.

What to do???

Ralph's hiked prices so high that with a doubled coupon you paid as much (or little) as you would have without coupons, or with a face value coupon, at Stater Bros.

yup. The prices in Wednesday's ad are higher than the ones from the last ad. So much for the new lower prices.

I actually had one cashier tell me that the amount toward the pet club would roll over into the new system. As far as I know that is completely false, so even the employees are pretty uninformed on the details of the policy changes. She seemed to think that getting $5 back for every $500 spent was much better than getting $9 back on $100 for pet purchases. But there's no way getting $5 back is going to come close to making up for the price increases and reduced doubles.
Customer service seems to be going downhill significantly too, at least in my area.

mezamom said: Riverside, CA
Ralphs last day for doubles is today! There is a commercial for it on the radio. They told me two weeks ago when I went that it was happening the next week but I think they allowed another week for a buffer.
Supposedly they are supposed to lower prices to comp with Stater Brothers and Food 4 Less- I'll believe that when I see it!!

I was at Vons two weeks ago thinking that I was doubling coupons but they DON'T do it anymore!
Vons is way over priced anyway.

I hate grocery shopping but I loved double coupons because it made it a game.

What to do???

Vons in LA/OC have already stopped doubling coupons too? (is it the same as Ralph's in which they increase any coupon from 50cents-$1 up to $1?)
I remember when they took it away a couple years ago and then quietly brought back double coupons when they lost too many customers to Ralphs.

poohbie said:
Vons in LA/OC have already stopped doubling coupons too? (is it the same as Ralph's in which they increase any coupon from 50cents-$1 up to $1?)
I remember when they took it away a couple years ago and then quietly brought back double coupons when they lost too many customers to Ralphs.

No, Vons should still be doubling up to $1 like Ralphs used to. They just don't advertise it like Ralphs did.
I doubt this policy will last long now that Ralphs has stopped, but when Albertsons stopped taking competitor coupons Vons started advertising on the radio that they now take competitor coupons (grocery stores, not CVS, Walgreens, etc.). This policy is up to the store manager and isn't universal, but sometimes some of the other grocery stores like Food4Less (also owned by Kroger like Ralphs) will have some decent coupons in their ads.

MoreFlowerz said: she said she could refund my money, or replace it, but not both. what could i do?

Ask to speak to the store manager.

Per Clark Howard's website (don't know if it's true or not):

"Kroger testing lower prices, rewards cards Kroger used to be considered an overpriced has-been by a lot of industry analysts in the grocery world. But they've proven more resilient than anyone thought.

The nation's second-largest grocer now is experimenting regionally with a couple of new tweaks at their Ralphs-branded locations.

First, they're limiting the use and redemption of coupons. They've instead taken the items that people commonly comparison shop and lowered the prices to compete with Wal-Mart and other cheaper players.

Second, Ralphs is doing a rewards card program that's in the mold of frequent flyer miles. If you sign up and agree to have your purchases tracked, you can earn vouchers to shop for free groceries.

If these regional tests prove successful, they may be rolled out nationwide..."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014