• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi! I was wondering if its safe to paypal money for an item listed on Craigslist? Honestly the price seems too good to be true- iphone 8GB for $150 being shipped from New York. I was wondering what kind of protection do I have from paypal if the guy is a fraud?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I can't believe you found anyone willing to ship before receiving payment. That's crazy. Would any retailer do that? ... (more)

titewad (Aug. 21, 2008 @ 6:12a) |

jayK simply knows how to con gullible sellers.

I've had Craigslist buyers contact me to ship (both in and out of my local... (more)

sechs (Aug. 21, 2008 @ 5:17p) |

I've never conned anyone. Some out-of-state sellers decline, but others accept the offer after seeing my 100% positive e... (more)

jayK (Aug. 21, 2008 @ 6:01p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Craigslist is only for 'in-person face to face' transaction. If it sounds to good to be true then stay away

The only safe way to do that transaction would be to test the item after you receive it, then send him the money via paypal.

He wants me to paypal the money first!

I think you'll be fine... just ignore all the warnings posted atop every page in CL.

asterix05 said: He wants me to paypal the money first!Tell him that he has to send the item first, or no deal.

BTW, SpinDizzy's post above left out the sarcasm tags, in case you couldn't tell.

I have another guy who is selling from Europe and wants half the money via western union and half after the transaction...are all these guys scammers?? Don't have any experience with Craigslist...

asterix05 said: I have another guy who is selling from Europe and wants half the money via western union and half after the transaction...are all these guys scammers?? Don't have any experience with Craigslist...

definately a scam!

asterix05 said: I have another guy who is selling from Europe and wants half the money via western union and half after the transaction...are all these guys scammers?? Don't have any experience with Craigslist...
Are you serious or are you trolling?

1. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
2. http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/barnum/thereisasuckerborneveryminute.htm

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee.

SpinDizzy said: I think you'll be fine... just ignore all the warnings posted atop every page in CL.
S**t I almost bit my tongue. LOL

You don't seem to have any experience with reading either.

But I've done the Western Union transactions plenty of times without any problems. Europe, Asia, New York City... it doesn't really matter. As long as you have the seller's email you can always contact them in case anything goes wrong.

Hmmm......only one green vote and it's from asterix007. What a remarkable coincidence!

Mikul said: Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee.
The PayPal+Craigslist combination isn't any safer than any PayPal+stranger-that-I-met-on-the-Internet set up, as is common in many, many online fora.

The flag here is that Craigslist is for local listings. Why is the original poster looking at something that needs to be shipped? If someone is offering something in your local Craigslist which isn't local, then there's probably an issue in there.

sechs said: The PayPal+Craigslist combination isn't any safer than any PayPal+stranger-that-I-met-on-the-Internet set up, as is common in many, many online fora.

The flag here is that Craigslist is for local listings. Why is the original poster looking at something that needs to be shipped? If someone is offering something in your local Craigslist which isn't local, then there's probably an issue in there.
I've found some pretty good deals on CL sites outside my home city - in those cases I simply pay for the item after it arrives via PayPal, sellers haven't had a problem doing this after I show my eBay feedback.

That's pretty surprising. How would the seller even know it was your eBay feedback and not some random person's feedback? But, it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll do it though.

natlmp said: That's pretty surprising. How would the seller even know it was your eBay feedback and not some random person's feedback? But, it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll do it though.

If you've been communicating via email with someone on Craigslist, you can use their email to look up their eBay ID.

http://search.eBay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ25

natlmp said: That's pretty surprising. How would the seller even know it was your eBay feedback and not some random person's feedback? But, it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll do it though.eBay feedback profile pages have a link that allows you to contact the member, you can have the seller send a verification message using this feature.

Lot of replies in this threads saying "you'll be fine" are from people who are amazed that you are even considering this kind of transaction. If anything is too good to be true it normally is. Use craigslist for local transactions.
Think about this.. why would this guy not be able to sell this iPhone in his local community for $150? If it is a legitimate deal he can sell easily for more.

I suspect the OP is just trying to get a little humor in their day by watching the people of FW comment like crazy...

jayK said: I've found some pretty good deals on CL sites outside my home city - in those cases I simply pay for the item after it arrives via PayPal, sellers haven't had a problem doing this after I show my eBay feedback.I can't believe you found anyone willing to ship before receiving payment. That's crazy. Would any retailer do that? No way. Neither would I.

titewad said: jayK said: I've found some pretty good deals on CL sites outside my home city - in those cases I simply pay for the item after it arrives via PayPal, sellers haven't had a problem doing this after I show my eBay feedback.I can't believe you found anyone willing to ship before receiving payment. That's crazy. Would any retailer do that? No way. Neither would I.
jayK simply knows how to con gullible sellers.

I've had Craigslist buyers contact me to ship (both in and out of my local area). I'm never dumb enough to ship first and hope for the money later.

sechs said: jayK simply knows how to con gullible sellers.

I've had Craigslist buyers contact me to ship (both in and out of my local area). I'm never dumb enough to ship first and hope for the money later.
I've never conned anyone. Some out-of-state sellers decline, but others accept the offer after seeing my 100% positive eBay profile. We are mostly talking about relatively low-dollar-value items (things like video games and movie ticket vouchers), and in all cases I've spoken with the seller on the phone.

I agree that if I had no information and no feedback on the buyer, I would also be skeptical about shipping first.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014