• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I used to pay 39.99 plus an extra 1.50 a month for cable and internet. Now, all of a sudden, my bill is up around $56. Does anyone know of any deals Comcast has that I could take advantage of to get my lower rates again? I know there is a 6 mo for 19.99, but that's just for new users, right? I used to have Insight...then Comcast took over and now my bill's going up. Great. It's the only cable service provider in my area as well.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ya, when I called recently they just told me, ok, when do you want to disconnect. $^!#@ @%^#

I might be going to DSL soo... (more)

ZenNUTS (Dec. 31, 2008 @ 1:05p) |

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I tried the online chat and while he was willing to put in my cancellation order he ... (more)

Eggwyt (Jan. 27, 2009 @ 6:56p) |

Hello, fellow Comcasters...

I tried to get my bill down - HSI, Phone, Basic cable - about $130 a month around Atlanta.

I d... (more)

deafdog (Apr. 08, 2009 @ 6:24p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

What did Comcast tell you when you called them? Cable pricing is entirely regional so what others are paying has no relationship to what you pay, unless you know somebody living in your general neighborhood.

constantine03 said: Now, all of a sudden, my bill is up around $56.I'll trade you bills.

My cable and internet is >$90; that's with a temporary $10 internet discount.

That is just standard analog cable and 6Mbps internet.

I wish. With Cox I have premium internet (20/3), 1 cable card in each of 2 TiVo HDs, 1 HD DVR from cable company, HD tiers, and a promotion for all movie channels for the price of 1 for ~185 a month. That does not include phone.

I call them up every so often and tell them I got a flier for Dish or DirecTV and their pricing looks good. They will give you a promo rate for something. I'm due to do that myself. I was at 155 and it jumped after some promos ended.

I know that $58 isn't a lot to many of you, but considering I'm in college and don't receive any financial assistance from my parents, my bills add up pretty quickly, especially when the rates are unexpectedly raised. Thanks to anyone who tried to offer suggestions.

constantine03 said: I know that $58 isn't a lot to many of you, but considering I'm in college and don't receive any financial assistance from my parents, my bills add up pretty quickly
Then perhaps cable TV is a luxury you don't really need right now.

1. Get a TV or DVR with a digital tuner.
2. Install a good antenna. You should notice greatly improved reception and more local channels than you though existed.
3. Drop cable.
4. Profit.

Another alternative is to get a NetFlix subscription, or just borrow DVDs from your local library.

I'm going through the same thing.... when i signed up (Feb) they told me that my bill was going to be 52.00. They never mentioned a promo and then in june my bill started saying that I was in some promo deal and then in august my bill went up to 72.00 dollars. when i contacted the customer service they said i had signed up for a promo and showed them on my statements that i hadn't .. so the customer service guy said that he was sorry that i didn't know about the "at will price increase" policy. and then the guy offered me another promo as an UPGRADE.. this upgrade would put my bill at 60.00 for the next 6 months. So, if you contact customer service they'll offer you a discounted package that is above what you hav now but will be about $10 bucks cheaper than what you are paying now. They won't give an exsisting customer a promo for the package that they already have. We have no choice but to take it in the shorts and keep paying cable, because we are the 2% of the population that doesn't have clear view of the southern sky for satelite. But I don't know if satelite would help you because you're looking for a bill that's 19.99 to 40.00 a month and I can't think of anything that cheap anymore. You could give up cable all together, but if you're pinching pennies and not really doing anything else for entertainment getting rid of cable all together just isn't an option. So I would check with them for an upgrade. at least you'll save 10 bucks or so.

Have you tried calling them and telling them that you can't afford the bill? Ask them if there's anyway to lower your costs. I did it 2 years ago and they gave me the introductory rate even tho I have had cable for too many years to count. Hope it works for you.

Comcast has excellent customer retention offers! Here are the steps you need to take to get a customer retention offer:
1. Call 1-800-COMCAST and tell them that you want to cancel.
2. They will transfer you to the "customer retention department."
3. Tell the Comcast rep that you are calling to cancel.
4. They will ask you why you are canceling.
5. Say that the rate is too high, and you can no longer afford the service.
6. At this point, they should take a look at your account and see what they can do for you.
7. Realize that customer retention offers vary greatly by market and how long you have had the service. More competitive markets, such as ones where AT&T has already launched their U-verse should get the best offers.

Note: Many people are afraid to do this for fear that they will accidently cancel their service, however threatening to cancel will get you the best offer. If you are afraid that they will just cancel your service before you know it, you can always say something like, "I want to cancel effective at the end of the week."

Good luck, and please post any retention offers you or anyone else gets from Comcast as it will help us all!

cablegal said: More competitive markets, such as ones where AT&T has already launched their U-verse should get the best offers.
When I called earlier in the year, they could not match, let alone beat, U-verse.

When I moved several months ago to a location with a competing cable company, Comcast would not match, let alone beat, the competitor's prices.

Don't call in blindly. Know your options and be prepared to switch.

Just wanted to note to those of you who told me to drop the cable... I actually have to pay for my internet...my cable is an extra 1.99 on top of that. I guess I should have specified that it was my internet price that really went up, and since EVERYTHING is done online at this school, it's not a luxury, but a necessity. Thanks for those who offered help.

What about unsecured WiFi connections in your neighborhood?

i called and my operator offered me nothing and i asked them if they had any deals to keep me and she said no.

I recently went to the comcast online chat asking what offers they had to keep me from switching over to Verizon Cable. They offered my free HBO for one year. I selected the account management area and they selected retention. It's worth a shot... I've heard of some people getting even better offers!!

You were probably on some promotion deal that expired. Call them and chances are they'll put you back on the same or similar deal.

Or better yet, drop the cable all together. You'll have more time to study and save money at the same time.

I've seen my Comcast cable tv bill going up, too, so this is what I did. Instead of calling (where you can get some hostile or indifferent reps), I did an internet chat (where the whole chat is recorded). I got my cable and internet bill reduced from $106.85 (pre-tax) to $66.50, just by asking for a lower price. I didn't realize that I didn't have the digital package (it is just the expanded cable package at $55.75), so I will get 150 channels (versus the 90 or so I currently get). The rep also told me I don't have to pay for the cable box. Under my current plan, I have to pay $8.15 a month. The only extra charge I have to pay is $18 for the tech visit.

By the way, I am in the Seattle area. I did ask about the "economy video tier" for under $30 which has been discussed in a 12/9/08 AP article, but was told it wasn't available in my area yet. But it doesn't matter at this time, because I got a much better overall deal.

The one and only time I tried this was earlier this year, had been with comcast since they moved in about 6yrs ago never missed a payment and was never late. The CSR and retention people had no interest in keeping me so I dropped them right then and there. AT&T had me installed 2 days later at a savings of $35 a month and a better HD picture, the next day Comcast called and made an offer to stay at $20 more a month .

cablegal said: Comcast has excellent customer retention offers! Here are the steps you need to take to get a customer retention offer:
1. Call 1-800-COMCAST and tell them that you want to cancel.
2. They will transfer you to the "customer retention department."
3. Tell the Comcast rep that you are calling to cancel.
4. They will ask you why you are canceling.
5. Say that the rate is too high, and you can no longer afford the service.
6. At this point, they should take a look at your account and see what they can do for you.
7. Realize that customer retention offers vary greatly by market and how long you have had the service. More competitive markets, such as ones where AT&T has already launched their U-verse should get the best offers.

Note: Many people are afraid to do this for fear that they will accidently cancel their service, however threatening to cancel will get you the best offer. If you are afraid that they will just cancel your service before you know it, you can always say something like, "I want to cancel effective at the end of the week."

Good luck, and please post any retention offers you or anyone else gets from Comcast as it will help us all!

The last two times I've tried to get a better rate from Comcast they made no attempt to offer me anything. I canceled my service within minutes with no resistance. Before about a year ago, I could extend my deals regularly.

I had Comcast HSI disconnected about 5 months ago when I switched to DSL. I kept the cable TV service. Now I'm reconsidering to get Comcast HSI but my attempts through the various Comcast "authorized" retailers indicate "Address appears to have Comcast Internet service". I recall that you can re-sign up for HSI after 120 days. Has anybody done this recently and saw the same "Address appears to have Comcast Internet service" but got the Comcast $19.99/month promotional rate for 6 months without any hassle? If so, which retailer did you go with and how did you go about getting the service without hassle? ComcastOffers has $100 rebate. ComcastAdvantage has $150 rebate (and one more FAR equipment?). There was another one that offers $125 Amazon GC.

Any other suggestions?

Ya, when I called recently they just told me, ok, when do you want to disconnect. $^!#@ @%^#

I might be going to DSL soon...

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I tried the online chat and while he was willing to put in my cancellation order he also suggested that I may be eligible for discounts. Unfortunately, I had to call the local service center to get those however. I called and right off the bat she reduced my HSI by ~$15 a month to $29.95 for 12 months; she also offered a $15 a month discount on the Digital Cable package and if I downgrade my channel choices I can still get the $15 off. That's for only 6 months but heck I'll take it. In addition, if I swap out my current cable boxes for the "DTA" boxes that will save about $20 more per month. In all, my bill drops from $145 a month to ~$110 a month. Thanks again!! Egg

Hello, fellow Comcasters...

I tried to get my bill down - HSI, Phone, Basic cable - about $130 a month around Atlanta.

I did a chat and the female blew me off with "I have no deals for you" crap, I tried to make idle threats to no avail. I will try again some other time. One time they gave me a 6 month deal but that was long ago.

Alternatives, like AT&T, Dish combos, etc. all were not much less, and I don't trust a dish.

Anywho, I thought I would share with you a neat feature I discovered about using the remote when watching stuff you have recorded on your DVR. The ability to skip ahead and backwards through commercials. Of course, you have to have the DVR and something recorded. It does not work on On Demand stuff. Nothing to do with your wallet, but fun anyway.

Here is a link and the unformatted gist of adding these functions to your remote. There are some picture on the link page.

It seemed natural to me to use the Day + (C) button for skipping forward and the Lock (A) button to skip back. You can read more about how to add more stuff or change the skip times, 30 and 15 work for me. Hit that skip ahead 6 or 7 times as soon as you see a commercial and you're done back in business!

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programmi...

Add 30-Second Skip

The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to the 3
0-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a
recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the 'A / Lock' button since many users don't need
that function; you can feel both the '15-second-back' and '30-second-skip' buttons with one finger and
move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the '15-second back' button, since
PgDn already provides that functionality.

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable"
button will blink twice if successful.

Add 15-Second Back

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00179.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 15-second back command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable"
button will blink twice if successful.

It works when you follow the directions exactly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014