Staples Rewards Check Question

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello.

I have been returning Ink since July at Staples. Currently I have $825 total in 3 Rewards Certificates. One of them expires on 10/30 and the other two on 11/15.

I was planning on using these for Black Friday. Any ideas on how I can do that? Managers and corporate will not extend the expiration date.

I was thinking buying something big with all three, and then returning it without receipt. I should be able to get store credit, that does not expire.

Any other ideas that would make this more legal?

Thanks,
Chris

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Okay, thanks. A manager at my local Staples implied that dollars off coupons are returned. I'm wondering b/c I bought ... (more)

RightPatriot (Dec. 24, 2008 @ 12:43a) |

I'm are right to think that there is a difference between
A:returning the $125 item and repurchasing it for $100 or
B:as... (more)

judicska (Dec. 26, 2008 @ 7:50a) |

I've not gotten a balance coupon before, but I think Staplez is following the OfficeDepot and OfficeMax method of proces... (more)

soundxli (Dec. 26, 2008 @ 6:04p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Mr0ffic3r said: Hello.

I have been returning Ink since July at Staples. Currently I have $825 total in 3 Rewards Certificates. One of them expires on 10/30 and the other two on 11/15.

I was planning on using these for Black Friday. Any ideas on how I can do that? Managers and corporate will not extend the expiration date.

I was thinking buying something big with all three, and then returning it without receipt. I should be able to get store credit, that does not expire.

Any other ideas that would make this more legal?

Thanks,
Chris

No, they've really clamped down. If you can sell it to someone who's buying something now, or buy something very easy to sell on eBay and recoup your money to flip it onto a gift card at Staples, that's about your only options IMO.

I have not used the ink program, so I do not know the answer, but can you redeem the rewards for a gift card?

If you are forced to buy something using the rewards certificate, can you return it and ask for a gift card? You mentioned returning without a receipt, but why? Will they not give credit if you paid with rewards?

If you return something that you bought with a reward you get a "Balance coupon" with the same exp. date as the reward had. It must redeemed in full and expires just like any coupon.
You might have a chance to sell your rewards on e-bay now with the BuyNow option since buyers get 30 % Cash Back with Live Search if they pay with PayPal.
OP, did you receive your Sept rewards already? Does it have a Nov 15th exp date?

Most Staples do not accept technology items without receipt. For everything else the limit I believe is $150. Sometime earlier this year they revamped their Return-Without-Receipt system where every return is logged against your driver license #. When you have returned $150 worth you cannot return anymore. I don't know the time limit on when that ban is lifted so you can again return without receipt. Mr. Cheap's advice sounds very sound to me.

Yeh there is zero chance Staples will accept a $800+ return without a receipt even i the store mamger remembers selling you the item.

The 0P should have cashed out some those last week with the FAR Peachtree, the Brother FAX machines (limit 5) and a few other Staples Columbus day deals. Right now about the best thing to buy is a couple of the Acer Aspire Ones that Staples B&Ms started stocking last week for $349ea. These easily sell on eBay above that price with the current MS Live 30% promotion.

BTW as erroneously posted by others in the main Staples Rewards thread you cannot combine Staples Rewards checks into Staples gift cards or prepaid store GCs anymore. After a couple of Fwers posted they had done this recently. I had my suspicions so I had my two different Staples managers both of who redeem my ink carts for me try it on two different Rewards checks at two different Staples locations and the Staples POS ABSOLUTELY will NOT accept a Rewards Check as payment for a Staples gift card even with a store manager override code so those posts were simply BS.

I've only had great experiences at Staples regarding rewards checks. In fact, I redeemed 4 checks this weekend on Peachtree. Of the 4, I believe 2 were expired - one expired in July, the other August. Employees and managers have the attitude that one has earned the rewards so they have no problem overriding.
judicska said: If you return something that you bought with a reward you get a "Balance coupon" with the same exp. date as the reward had. It must redeemed in full and expires just like any coupon.One thing you could do is buy something and use the check(s). Then when you go to return the item, buy something you do want on the same transaction. The credit from the return, which would result in a "balance coupon" would just be used towards the purchase of the new item.

I don't think that could work for BF with rewards that expire Nov 15th. If you return the item before the rewards original exp date the new coupon will not extend it's expiration date and if you return it after the original exp date you get nothing back. Just like when you return something with a coupon. You don't get the coupon back.
As far as the manager overwriting the expired reward or coupon I'd be cautious. YMMV big time.

I just used an expired rewards check. I checked the website and it says you have to use the whole thing in one transaction, but they would let you use an expired one. Mine had expired in June (actually, it was from my husband's business. He gave it to me to use for supplies for school and in June I wasn't buying any. I needed copier paper this week though, so picked some up for the PTA).

judicska said: I don't think that could work for BF with rewards that expire Nov 15th. If you return the item before the rewards original exp date the new coupon will not extend it's expiration date and if you return it after the original exp date you get nothing back. Just like when you return something with a coupon. You don't get the coupon back.Yes, if the "balance coupon" (I've never been in a position to get one) retains the check's expiration date, and that date is past, that would be a problem. What I am saying is that on the same return transaction you can use the return credit towards the purchase of a more expensive item. This way, a balance coupon would need not be issued since the discount still applies. It's look something like this:

* $10 reward check in hand.
* Buy $15 item -> total is $5 after reward check applied.
* Reward check expiration date comes and goes.
* On one single transaction you return the $10 item. If totaled, you'd get $5 back and a balance coupon (which is expired). Instead of totaling, you buy a $20 item. Difference between returned item and new item is $5 so you pay $5.
* Total out of pocket is $10, the correct after rewards check amount.

The rewards discount is retained and in the second transaction all you pay is the difference between the value of the returned item and the new item(s).

Note: I've never done this, but assume it should work and generate a receipt that looks nearly the same as a price match (where difference gets credited back to your CC or applied to new items).

Agree with other post. You should have bought FAR Peachtree or $10 AR ($50 Rebate) Fax Machines last week to cash these. Now too late. I doubt there will be good deals out there before Black Friday and with souring economy, I hightly BF deals will be as good as last year! -

With the souring economy bf deals will be even better! The retailers need foot traffic. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding. I believe this year may be one of the best. The past few years have been pretty weak IMHO. Staples has offered some good deals though and many that could be ordered online.

rob

user0001 said: judicska said: I don't think that could work for BF with rewards that expire Nov 15th. If you return the item before the rewards original exp date the new coupon will not extend it's expiration date and if you return it after the original exp date you get nothing back. Just like when you return something with a coupon. You don't get the coupon back.Yes, if the "balance coupon" (I've never been in a position to get one) retains the check's expiration date, and that date is past, that would be a problem. What I am saying is that on the same return transaction you can use the return credit towards the purchase of a more expensive item. This way, a balance coupon would need not be issued since the discount still applies. It's look something like this:

* $10 reward check in hand.
* Buy $15 item -> total is $5 after reward check applied.
* Reward check expiration date comes and goes.
* On one single transaction you return the $10 item. If totaled, you'd get $5 back and a balance coupon (which is expired). Instead of totaling, you buy a $20 item. Difference between returned item and new item is $5 so you pay $5.

The rewards discount is retained and in the second transaction all you pay is the difference between the value of the returned item and the new item(s).

Note: I've never done this, but assume it should work and generate a receipt that looks nearly the same as a price match (where difference gets credited back to your CC or applied to new items).

1. The Staples POS no longer alows a return(s) for exchange credit on another item in a single transaction. You have to return eligible item(s) and then purchase any other item(s)on a seperate transaction. Staples tracks your returns using a system sperate from their POS system and that returns manager system will only approve returns from a "closed" Staples receipt.
2. The Staples POS will not print an expired Rewards balance coupon. If you return an item that you used a now expired Staples Reward check/balance coupon the Staples POS will only credit you the cash portion of your original eligigle returned items. The same apples to the .com business. If the amount is small as in your example you may be able to get a sympathetic B&M manager to issue you a courtesy GC for the loss or possibly call Staples Rewards CS and get compensation but that is YMMW.

robertw477 said: With the souring economy bf deals will be even better! The retailers need foot traffic. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding. I believe this year may be one of the best. The past few years have been pretty weak IMHO. Staples has offered some good deals though and many that could be ordered online.

rob

Actually it is quite the opposite in terms of BF offerings and the economy. Plus this years BF deals were sealed months ago and ads already printed prior to the latest economic woes. Many of the big box retailer BF deals that most here would be interested in knowing negotiated their BF deals with manufacturers at CES back in January. At BEST this BF you will see mediocre across the board loss-leaders with retailers adding last minute unadvertised deals on small ticket/high profit items like CDs,DVDs, Blu-Ray,video games,GPS, cell phones\contracts with retailer GC kickbacks to the customer, etc... Retailers are already taking HUGE losses on big ticket items like LCDs/Plasma TVs so don't expect ANY killer deals with those items like years past. Most big ticket deals will come with some sort of catch (ie TV discount with retailer install, computers with mandatory in-store hardware\software bundles installed, etc..) Plus many comsumers who were living well beyond their means who jumped on these high ticket items last holiday season using in-store credit have already been returning those purchases in alarming numbers to retailers. Just go into ANY Best Buy and look on the floor at the number of open box returned LCD/Plasma TVs they have received in just the past 60 days!

** On one single transaction you return the $10 item. If totaled, you'd get $5 back and a balance coupon (which is expired). Instead of totaling, you buy a $20 item. Difference between returned item and new item is $5 so you pay $5.

I believe you DON'T GET the expired balance coupon back in credit for the next purchase. It was a coupon that you used when you bought the item. Just like if you used a $x off coupon. If you return that item you get the Cash Back that you paid but loose the value of the coupon.

robertw477 said: With the souring economy bf deals will be even better!
rob

??? Are you living in a cave right now??? -

I was able to use my Staples rewards to purchase a Visa debit card. Granted you have to pay an ativation fee. But it's worth it if you want the value to carry over that far.

Sorry I have been away,

Thanks for the responses everyone. I totally missed the Peachtree deal... ughhhh That would have worked out the best.

I found a Canon XTI Kit for $450 on clearance... I guess I might get that and enter the DSLR world.

I might also trying buying that Visa card!

Thanks for the discussion guys. I was honestly expecting red on this thread

Thanks again,
Chris

moneynomore said: I was able to use my Staples rewards to purchase a Visa debit card. Granted you have to pay an ativation fee. But it's worth it if you want the value to carry over that far.

The manager was a total moron if he took the hit for the store by doing a 999 transaction since Staples crporate will not reinburse the store. For the rest of us you cannot use a Staples Rewards check to purchase a Staples or thrid party GC anymore. The Staples POS warns the cashier and/or manager in BIG bold lettering the ttansion will not be processed.

cnIsfg said: moneynomore said: I was able to use my Staples rewards to purchase a Visa debit card. Granted you have to pay an ativation fee. But it's worth it if you want the value to carry over that far.

The manager was a total moron if he took the hit for the store by doing a 999 transaction since Staples crporate will not reinburse the store. For the rest of us you cannot use a Staples Rewards check to purchase a Staples or thrid party GC anymore. The Staples POS warns the cashier and/or manager in BIG bold lettering the ttansion will not be processed.

You are wrong. When I did this, the store manager wasn't sure if the system would allow him to. When he tried, he didn't get any error messages or had to do any overrides. The rewards checks just scanned and that was it. Even he was surprised.

moneynomore said: cnIsfg said: moneynomore said: I was able to use my Staples rewards to purchase a Visa debit card. Granted you have to pay an ativation fee. But it's worth it if you want the value to carry over that far.

You are wrong. When I did this, the store manager wasn't sure if the system would allow him to. When he tried, he didn't get any error messages or had to do any overrides. The rewards checks just scanned and that was it. Even he was surprised.

Unless it was PRIOR to April 2008 BS!

I did it around May/June time frame. Right before I went on vacation.

I'm curious, has anyone ever used a rewards check from somebody else? I recall someone saying Staples would only redeem checks from the actual person.

yankees4life said: I'm curious, has anyone ever used a rewards check from somebody else? I recall someone saying Staples would only redeem checks from the actual person. Yes, I did last week. My husband buys stuff at Staples for his company and gives me his rewards checks to use towards stuff for our son's school. Last week I used two different checks from two different accounts (one of them had expired in June) and was able to purchase a case of copier paper and some stickers we needed. They might have gone easy on me knowing that one of the checks was a PTA account.

I have a different question. Are you guys able to get rewards checks for ink recycling with more than one account with same address? Till now I am using it for one account, but I have lot of cartridges and want to recycle them using more than one account if I get rewards check for all the accounts I have.

I saw a discussion earlier that they will not allow it, but I lost the track.

hot2004 said: I have a different question. Are you guys able to get rewards checks for ink recycling with more than one account with same address? Till now I am using it for one account, but I have lot of cartridges and want to recycle them using more than one account if I get rewards check for all the accounts I have.

No personal experience with more than one account per address for ink recycling (have two accounts at one address for normal rewards) but according to the terms of service:
Ink Recycling

You can recycle your original HP, Dell, Lexmark or Kodak cartridges and you'll receive your $3 recycling savings back in Staples Rewards. Limit 3 cartridges per day. We will recycle additional cartridges, but Staples Rewards will only be issued for 3 per day. Limit of 1 Staples Rewards account per address.

Bolded text just for emphasis.

hot2004 said: I have a different question. Are you guys able to get rewards checks for ink recycling with more than one account with same address? Till now I am using it for one account, but I have lot of cartridges and want to recycle them using more than one account if I get rewards check for all the accounts I have.

Maybe you are talking about the deal discussion topic Reported Changes Coming AGAIN To Staples Ink Program 3/30. I've got two cards but they have different names and addresses. I turned in three carts on the other card and I have yet to see them post. I tried adding the receipt, but I guess they were a donation at this point. I'm using only one card for my cart recycling.

soundxli said: hot2004 said: I have a different question. Are you guys able to get rewards checks for ink recycling with more than one account with same address? Till now I am using it for one account, but I have lot of cartridges and want to recycle them using more than one account if I get rewards check for all the accounts I have.

Maybe you are talking about the deal discussion topic Reported Changes Coming AGAIN To Staples Ink Program 3/30. I've got two cards but they have different names and addresses. I turned in three carts on the other card and I have yet to see them post. I tried adding the receipt, but I guess they were a donation at this point. I'm using only one card for my cart recycling.

I just recycled 3 cartridges in my 2nd account and it did posted. Now I have to wait a month and see if they send the check for 2nd account or not.

Hot2004,
You might want to drop off one more cartridge because I believe there is a $10 minimum for rewards otherwise it rolls over to the next month.

judicska said: Hot2004,
You might want to drop off one more cartridge because I believe there is a $10 minimum for rewards otherwise it rolls over to the next month.
the new monthly ink recycling reward does not have any minimum and the check is sent to everyone every month now.

master10 said: judicska said: Hot2004,
the new monthly ink recycling reward does not have any minimum and the check is sent to everyone every month now.

That's correct. I got $9 ink rewards for the month of July.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

bpvh said: hot2004 said: I have a different question. Are you guys able to get rewards checks for ink recycling with more than one account with same address? Till now I am using it for one account, but I have lot of cartridges and want to recycle them using more than one account if I get rewards check for all the accounts I have.

No personal experience with more than one account per address for ink recycling (have two accounts at one address for normal rewards) but according to the terms of service:
Ink Recycling

You can recycle your original HP, Dell, Lexmark or Kodak cartridges and you'll receive your $3 recycling savings back in Staples Rewards. Limit 3 cartridges per day. We will recycle additional cartridges, but Staples Rewards will only be issued for 3 per day. Limit of 1 Staples Rewards account per address.

Bolded text just for emphasis.

But what would happen if you used an address with a street address and either apt or unit #?? For example:

Raph Nader
1600 Pennsylvania Ave
Apt K
Washington, DC 20500

I recently purchased a Rewards check on eBay. I redeemed it online and later got a call from Staples corporate! They told me that I wasn't allowed to do that and, in the future they would all me and give me the option of paying the balance of the check on my credit card or cancelling the order. Anyone else run into this?

Kev24 said: I recently purchased a Rewards check on eBay. I redeemed it online and later got a call from Staples corporate! They told me that I wasn't allowed to do that and, in the future they would all me and give me the option of paying the balance of the check on my credit card or cancelling the order. Anyone else run into this?

Same thing just happened to me. My order got cancelled. I am now contacting the seller for a refund.

Kev24 said: I recently purchased a Rewards check on eBay. I redeemed it online and later got a call from Staples corporate! They told me that I wasn't allowed to do that and, in the future they would all me and give me the option of paying the balance of the check on my credit card or cancelling the order. Anyone else run into this?

Thanks for sharing this. I was looking into selling my futures checks on E-bay... looks like a big no-no.

On the back of the original Rewards check it states not valid on gift cards. However on the Balance Coupon it says that it cannot be used on Staples Gift Cards. If the cashier tries to ring up a Staples Gift Card the POS will not accept the Rewards Check but I have used the rewards check with Store gift cards and Visa/AMEX/MC Gift Cards. The register allows it with no manager override necessary.

So what's the deal? Does anyone know the real rule on this? Does it just depend on which store/manager you deal with?

I am confused about the balance coupon. Suppose you buy two $50 items with a $25 off $100 coupon, so you pay $100 - $25 = $75. If you return one of the $50 items, do you get back a balance coupon for $12.50 off $50? Thanks.

Anyone?

Skipping 6 Messages...
I've not gotten a balance coupon before, but I think Staplez is following the OfficeDepot and OfficeMax method of processing coupons. I recently returned an item purchased with a Staplez $$$off coupon that was rung up incorrectly, and it was handled in a similar fashion where the $$$off amount was prorated proportionally to the returned item. I think this was started over the summer but I'm not sure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014