• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
From The Consumerist.

Sprint is raising their administrative services fees from $0.75 to $0.99 per line. This is not a government-required assessment. A reader at the Consumerist was able to get a note added to their record saying that they could terminate ETF-free when the new fees take effect on January 1, 2009.

I will try this and report back. Sprint screwed me out of a hundred bucks. Retentions got me to resign by adding 300 minutes on my family plan and tossing in free text messaging and six PM calling. When the bill came in, Sprint said it was 100 minutes per phone. Of course, I already had retentions clarify this exact point and the CSR said it was 300 minutes for the whole plan. I didn't tape record the conversation so I was SOL.

I hate Sprint. They tried to extend my contract by saying my sister was an "authorized user" who consented to this by buying a replacement phone. I called their bluff by asking for her name, and of course they didn't have it.

There's going to be debate about "welshing" on your contract, but if they can add administrative fees whenever they want, there's really no point in a contract. A few bucks EACH MONTH here and there spread out over a few million customers is a lot of moolah that they got for free.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Sprint plays hardball and forces you to quit rather than go month-to-month. You could have gotten more than $6. I was of... (more)

darkmeridian (Jan. 22, 2009 @ 5:05p) |

I'm sure you're right and I could have gotten more, but I think I didn't have it in me to argue over echat. I imagine I ... (more)

ltcm (Jan. 22, 2009 @ 7:08p) |

I just got off the phone with customer service and after 35 min of talking and waiting I was able to cancel my contract ... (more)

thehighwaypatrol (Jan. 27, 2009 @ 9:49a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well another way to get out of the large Instinct contract you signed up for.

I didn't sign up for the Instinct contract.

If you 'get out' of the contract, can you keep your same plan details as-is on a month-to-month?

Would you then be eligible for a phone upgrade bonus?

If you get out of the contract, Sprint will just end your account on a date certain and you'll have the choice of porting over. You cannot stay month-to-month with Sprint if they terminate your account. (As far as I know.)

I've been unsuccessful so far. I'm going to keep trying.

Success! I have an e-mail from Sprint saying that I can leave the service early without ETFs because of this price increase. In contract law, price and quantity are material terms.

Well. I'm going to drop two lines and keep only two. Any suggestions as to good plans?

darkmeridian said: Success! I have an e-mail from Sprint saying that I can leave the service early without ETFs because of this price increase. In contract law, price and quantity are material terms.

Well. I'm going to drop two lines and keep only two. Any suggestions as to good plans?

did they send this to you or did you have to ask for it?

Regarding the e-mail:

I was able to get them to commit to waiving the ETF for me over the phone. The representative claimed to have put a note on my record to this effect. I then sent an e-mail to Sprint and simply asked for confirmation of this message. They replied and confirmed that this is on my account.

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I missed any convention used here.
I had a 2 year contract for $40 per month (after corporate discount) from sprint retention that expired a few months ago. I am on a month to month now. It included 6 pm nights, 1000 daytime minutes, free internet and 500 text messages free.

If I want to sign a new 2 year contract for what things can I negotiate with them. What would be ideal for me is to add another line for $40 per month if possible with unlimited minutes only. I do not care about internet on it. Is it possible to do it?

Can't hurt to try...

DealsInFatwallet said: I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I missed any convention used here.
I had a 2 year contract for $40 per month (after corporate discount) from sprint retention that expired a few months ago. I am on a month to month now. It included 6 pm nights, 1000 daytime minutes, free internet and 500 text messages free.

If I want to sign a new 2 year contract for what things can I negotiate with them. What would be ideal for me is to add another line for $40 per month if possible with unlimited minutes only. I do not care about internet on it. Is it possible to do it?

I doubt you can get unlimited minutes for $40 but it really can't hurt to try. The thing is to keep retrying. With most companies, Sprint included, each customer service representative will give you a different answer. If you don't succeed with one CSR, call up and try again with another.

I have done this with Sprint, Dell, and DirecTV to get favorable deals.

I really want to end my contract as well with out any ETF. can you give me a number i can call or what i should say?

It is true. I emailed to ecare and then receiveed a phone call from sprint today. I confirme that I can cancel my account without ETF between Dec.19 to Jan.19.(My next billing date is Dec.19.)

I encourage any Sprint customers to call about this before the end of the year. Today, while activating a new phone my daughter got from Santa, I asked if the rep knew about this fee increase and if they'd personally been able to help any customers get out of their contract without termination fees. The rep transferred me to retentions, I asked the same question and she said there had been something like that earlier in 08, but she wasn't aware of any increases planned for 09. I said pretty much what is written in the opening part of this thread and said it would be very nice to be able to be out from under my contract and comparison shop family plans. She had to check, but came back and verified customers have successfully gotten out of contract. She asked personal questions about our phone needs and generously offered to add 1000 text messages to each line on my account at no additional charge, saving me the $15/month I had just added for only 300 messages on each line. I have a cheap fair and flexible plan that I probably can't improve without increasing my monthly bill, so I'm happy with the extra perk! She very sweetly said that should more than compensate me for the small fee increase and I must agree! As others have noted, it may depend on who you speak with, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Definitely call Sprint before the end of the year, if only to see what kind of deal you can get. Tell Sprint that you want out of your contract because Sprint is increasing the administrative services fee, which is not a government-required charge. Stick to your guns and ask to speak for a supervisor if you are initially turned down. I think the reps are told to deny in the first and second instance but give up after a while. Point them to www.sprint.com/taxesandfees if they dispute the increase. (A Sprint rep vociferously argued with me, contending that there was no increase. I pointed him to that web site and he stopped talking.)

If you get any kind of a concession, write an e-mail to Sprint and ask for confirmation of the deal. Be very specific about the terms of the concession, and identify the Sprint rep who made the concession. You will very likely need it because Sprint will renege on the deal. I got a Sprint rep to confirm by e-mail that I could close my account with incurring an ETF. Afer I ported over to T-Mobile, I called to close the last line in my family plan. The rep claimed that I had to pay a $200 fee. I gave her the ID of the Sprint e-mail and she "updated the system" to "waive the fee." I'm sure I'll be using the e-mail to challenge the ETF bill Sprint will send to me in a month.

Made two attempts, and was shot down both times. We have a KILLER, grandfathered shared plan, and the reps (and supervisors) flat out say that Sprint or any other carrier can't do better, and we should quit while ahead.

I've been told of my "Killer" grandfather plan.. but it's really not that great compared to what others have.... It would be nice to have more anytime minutes, but unfortunately they're just PIB to deal with lately. I would think with the economy being as poor, they would try to keep customers instead of loosing them.

shank said: Made two attempts, and was shot down both times. We have a KILLER, grandfathered shared plan, and the reps (and supervisors) flat out say that Sprint or any other carrier can't do better, and we should quit while ahead.

In that case, stay with Sprint. If you're lucky, Sprint will give you insane plans. (Such as SERO.)

success today. Not sure if they've actually did it, but the rep said i am not on a contract anymore. It took one 5 minute call. my last contract extension was done in early Nov. Thanks guys. iPhone, here I come.

Hey, I got greedy and called back to request unlimited text, which they promptly said they had no code for anymore, but I was able to get Pick-3 added to each of my lines (basically turns 3 landlines/non-sprint numbers into mobile to mobile, if I understand it correctly). The nice rep said she'd add it if I would extend my contract 1 year since the rep from the other day didn't require that, and she requested that I consider the rate increase issue resolved. Good for me...hope others are having some luck on getting perks! Thanks again, darkmeridian!

omg it just worked for me lol... after talking to 2 lead representatives.. my service cancells out on the 24th SERO here i come woooooo

So this is still active? What number have you called and who have you asked to speak with?

I prefer to use Sprint's eCare e-mail system to form an incontrovertible written record of your communications with Sprint. To illustrate, Sprint promised me an early termination fee waiver but sent me a final bill of $720, which reflected the ETFs. I forwarded the eCare e-mail indicating that ETFs on my account were waived and I received an e-mail confirming that my proper final bill is $15. I imagine that if I didn't have an e-mail I would still be arguing with Sprint regarding the ETF waiver.

According to Sprint's Terms and Conditions you have thirty days "after the effective date of the change" to ask for a ETF waiver, and you have to specifically advise Sprint "that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement."

Since the change took effect on January 1, 2009 Sprint's website, you have until January 31, 2009 to make the request. You have to specifically point to the increase in the Administrative Charge as detailed on the web site and say this constitutes a material change.

Good luck!

OK, please somebody help me out here.

I'm 13 months into a contract with Sprint on the Sero plan and I have two lines. I'm happy with my service and want to keep it, but I'd like to upgrade to the Palm Pre when it comes out in a few months at the "new subscriber" price, so how do I do it? Do I simply contact ecare through the website and tell them that I'd like the ETF fee waived so that I'm no longer under contract with them and can reup in a few months when the Pre comes out or do I actually have to cancel my plan in order to make this happen?

EDIT: I did the live chat thing and ended up being shown the terms which disallow this certain maneuver - essentially you have to cancel within 30 days, not necessarily an authorization to cancel (I'm not sure if other people have gotten this in the past, but the terms don't necessarily say they have to). The rep credited me for the fee increase for the remaining part of my contract (~$6) and I let it go. I like Sprint and don't want to switch, but hopefully I can pick up the Pre on eBay relatively cheap.

Got a Pick-3 added to my SERO line free of charge. Not a bad deal, for a 25c/month Admin. fee increase

ltcm said: OK, please somebody help me out here.

I'm 13 months into a contract with Sprint on the Sero plan and I have two lines. I'm happy with my service and want to keep it, but I'd like to upgrade to the Palm Pre when it comes out in a few months at the "new subscriber" price, so how do I do it? Do I simply contact ecare through the website and tell them that I'd like the ETF fee waived so that I'm no longer under contract with them and can reup in a few months when the Pre comes out or do I actually have to cancel my plan in order to make this happen?

EDIT: I did the live chat thing and ended up being shown the terms which disallow this certain maneuver - essentially you have to cancel within 30 days, not necessarily an authorization to cancel (I'm not sure if other people have gotten this in the past, but the terms don't necessarily say they have to). The rep credited me for the fee increase for the remaining part of my contract (~$6) and I let it go. I like Sprint and don't want to switch, but hopefully I can pick up the Pre on eBay relatively cheap.

Sprint plays hardball and forces you to quit rather than go month-to-month. You could have gotten more than $6. I was offered a $10 a month discount to stay.

I'm sure you're right and I could have gotten more, but I think I didn't have it in me to argue over echat. I imagine I would have been a little more forceful over the phone.

I just got off the phone with customer service and after 35 min of talking and waiting I was able to cancel my contract 9 months early. When I first talked to the retentions/cancellation department rep he said that because I have a corporate account I was not able to cancel without an ETF. After reasserting that my friend has the same account type and was able to cancel, which he did, the rep went back and check and said I was able to cancel. The amazing thing was that I didn't have to read anything from their terms and conditions or any of their website. Props to those who have cancelled and good luck to those who plan to cancel.

John

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014