Staples rewards check purchases now taxed

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
One of the nice features of the Staples rewards checks is that the amount covered in a purchase is not taxed. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I made a purchase yesterday with a rewards check and was surprised to see that entire order was taxed, including the amount covered by the rewards check.

Another Staples Reward perk out the door...

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

GreenBack said: One of the nice features of the Staples rewards checks is that the amount covered in a purchase is not taxed. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I made a purchase yesterday with a rewards check and was surprised to see that entire order was taxed, including the amount covered by the rewards check.

Well, I do not see why you would not be taxed on your pruchase, regardless of how you pay for it.
Tax is on the sale amount.

Except in Oregon..No tax at all.

I redeemed two Staples Rewards Checks and one balanace coupons from a prior Rewards check yesterday at a local Staples and did not pay any sales tax on the rewards check amount here in AZ.

yesidonoitall said: GreenBack said: One of the nice features of the Staples rewards checks is that the amount covered in a purchase is not taxed. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I made a purchase yesterday with a rewards check and was surprised to see that entire order was taxed, including the amount covered by the rewards check.

Well, I do not see why you would not be taxed on your pruchase, regardless of how you pay for it.
Tax is on the sale amount.

Except in Oregon..No tax at all.

tax is charged on the total amount if manufacturers' coupons are used. tax is charged on the total MINUS retailers' coupons, if any are used because a retailer's coupon is considered a reduction in price by the store. apparently in OP's case, the rewards check was not taken to be a Staples coupon.

cnIsfg said: I redeemed two Staples Rewards Checks and one balanace coupons from a prior Rewards check yesterday at a local Staples and did not pay any sales tax on the rewards check amount here in AZ.

My purchase was online.

GreenBack said: cnIsfg said: I redeemed two Staples Rewards Checks and one balanace coupons from a prior Rewards check yesterday at a local Staples and did not pay any sales tax on the rewards check amount here in AZ.

My purchase was online.

Are you in NY?

GreenBack said: One of the nice features of the Staples rewards checks is that the amount covered in a purchase is not taxed. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I made a purchase yesterday with a rewards check and was surprised to see that entire order was taxed, including the amount covered by the rewards check.

Talk to your congressman, Staples is just enforcing your state laws.

Mr0ffic3r said: GreenBack said: cnIsfg said: I redeemed two Staples Rewards Checks and one balanace coupons from a prior Rewards check yesterday at a local Staples and did not pay any sales tax on the rewards check amount here in AZ.

My purchase was online.

Are you in NY?

No, I am in CA

SafetyDance said: GreenBack said: One of the nice features of the Staples rewards checks is that the amount covered in a purchase is not taxed. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I made a purchase yesterday with a rewards check and was surprised to see that entire order was taxed, including the amount covered by the rewards check.

Talk to your congressman, Staples is just enforcing your state laws.

No, no kickbacks from me to maintain this perk!

I reside in Minn. I placed an order on 12/13 using a coupon and a rewards check and the sales tax was charged on the after coupon and rewards check order amount.

I placed an order on line Feb 18th and one on Feb 21st 2009 with rewards and $ off coupons in NJ and both times I wasn't charged sales tax on rewards and coupon. March 5th I'm paying tax on total before any coupons.

Online, off line, phone orders,
no tax for Oregon shipments or store buys.

I figured out, kind of. In NJ I tried going thru FW Cash Back and applied the $ off coupons/rewards and I was charged tax on the total amount. I tried without CB and applied the coupons/ rewards BEFORE starting secure checkout and both $ off coupon and reward were applied and only was charged tax on the amount AFTER coupons/rewards.
I'm not sure if it was the order I applied the coupons or the fact that I didn't go thru CB. Anyway saved myself $14 on $200 purchase.

judicska said: I figured out, kind of. In NJ I tried going thru FW Cash Back and applied the $ off coupons/rewards and I was charged tax on the total amount. I tried without CB and applied the coupons/ rewards BEFORE starting secure checkout and both $ off coupon and reward were applied and only was charged tax on the amount AFTER coupons/rewards.
I'm not sure if it was the order I applied the coupons or the fact that I didn't go thru CB. Anyway saved myself $14 on $200 purchase.
That makes no sense. Tax is calculated on the final total at checkout time. If things are working differently depending on when you enter the coupon, it is a bug and you should report it to Staples.

One possibility is that the tax being shown in the email was not correct, but that should get adjusted when the order ships.

OP is right. My rewards check no longer cover sales tax. Today I had a purchase price less than my rewards check balance (B&M), my rewards check did not cover the entire purchase and I had to pay the sales tax out of pocket. GM said this started in end of FEB.

In some states the retailer is supposed to charge tax on the sub-total (before coupons), while other states the tax is calculated on the total (after coupons have been applied). Some retailers may not implement this correctly.

-cd

Including tax or not, same difference.
You get the same credit.

Or got to a no tax state.

canydavid said: In some states the retailer is supposed to charge tax on the sub-total (before coupons), while other states the tax is calculated on the total (after coupons have been applied). Some retailers may not implement this correctly.But are there any states where STORE COUPONS are supposed to be taxed? In New York, we tax manufacturer's coupons, but as someone stated earlier, store coupons are considered a discount on your order and are not taxed.

Given that Staples has always treated Rewards checks the same as normal store coupons (like $30/150 or even $10 off an item with a 5 digit code), it would seem that this has the potential to be a bigger change than just with Rewards checks.

billrubin said: canydavid said: In some states the retailer is supposed to charge tax on the sub-total (before coupons), while other states the tax is calculated on the total (after coupons have been applied). Some retailers may not implement this correctly.But are there any states where STORE COUPONS are supposed to be taxed? In New York, we tax manufacturer's coupons, but as someone stated earlier, store coupons are considered a discount on your order and are not taxed.

Given that Staples has always treated Rewards checks the same as normal store coupons (like $30/150 or even $10 off an item with a 5 digit code), it would seem that this has the potential to be a bigger change than just with Rewards checks.
Good point. (Once I noticed that NJ requires that retailers charge tax on the price before coupons, anytime they didn't I considered it a bonus/error. According to this, in NJ tax should only be charged on NFR coupons, not store coupons. The closest example to the rewards check is: Gift cards given away by sellers as promotional items (e.g., every customer who spends $50 on a single visit to a store receives a $10 gift card to be used on their next purchase at that store) are treated in the same manner as seller coupons. When a promotional gift card is redeemed, tax is charged on the price after the amount of the gift card is deducted as long as the seller receives no compensation for the card. [emphasis added]-cd

FWIW, I made a purchase with a $10 gift check (it was a rebate) last week (3/14) and tax was charged on the after-gift-check total, as I expected. I don't have any rewards checks to try...

I'm in NY.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014