Best place to buy furniture?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking to get a leather recliner sofa and was wondering if there's a good place to shop? For leather sofas Ikea doesn't seem to have anything we want and I've been to a few stores, but was thinking rooms to go or ashley's furniture?
I noticed that there were times that there were 20% off coupons for ashley's furniture, but I can't seem to find any anything right now.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just bought a black bookcase from IKEA. It's the black lack bookcase and I turned it into a TV stand for my component... (more)

cheapbone (Jan. 10, 2009 @ 11:33p) |

Hey cheapbone, if you haven't already bought your furniture let me suggest Bari Leather Furniture. I actually bought mi... (more)

sportmom (Jan. 28, 2009 @ 11:40a) |

I still haven't bought anything yet, mostly because I had to do some traveling and just didn't have the time. I'm going... (more)

cheapbone (Feb. 15, 2009 @ 12:30a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

http://www.overstock.com/search?taxonomy=cat713&searchtype=guide...

5% off furniture - offer ends 12/15/08

4.0% FW CashBack

-----------------------------

JC Penney has had other great clearance and outlet deals too.

We paid about $400-$450 for an all leather recliner at Costco.com. I draw your attention to 'all leather' because when we were looking, we were amazed how many leather recliners have the side and back panels dyed to match in 'pleather'. These were higher end manufactures and stores including Macy's, Ashley and Laz-E-Boy. Make sure you check what you are buying.
Costco will start bringing in furniture after Christmas and throughout the spring.

WashingtonState said: We paid about $400-$450 for an all leather recliner at Costco.com. I draw your attention to 'all leather' because when we were looking, we were amazed how many leather recliners have the side and back panels dyed to match in 'pleather'. These were higher end manufactures and stores including Macy's, Ashley and Laz-E-Boy. Make sure you check what you are buying.
Costco will start bringing in furniture after Christmas and throughout the spring.

Sams Club also have some great looking furniture at a reasonable cost.

I wouldn't buy a thing online unless you know it is the exact model no. of a piece of furniture that you have sat on/demonstrated in person. Furniture that looks good online can feel like you are sitting on a bale of hay. When in doubt, test it out.

Im suprised you didn't find anything you like at Ikea. They have the awesome looking furniture in my opinion. I just went down to the one in Atlanta last weekend. I love how you can customize almost anything there. I agree with Smoot...bad idea to buy something you've never seen. I recall countless times I thought I loved it online...and hated it when I saw it in person.

Smoot said: I wouldn't buy a thing online unless you know it is the exact model no. of a piece of furniture that you have sat on/demonstrated in person. Furniture that looks good online can feel like you are sitting on a bale of hay. When in doubt, test it out.
Agreed and I feel the same way about mattresses.

Personally, the best place for me is Craigslist

Where do you live? If you're in the Milwaukee area, check out Colder's. They have a sale right now, where if you buy $1,000 worth of merchandise, they'll give you a gift card worth $500.

Linko

They also have plasma and LCD TV's, home theater furniture, appliances, mattresses, etc. Nice selection, custom fabric, too.

Jk27 -> I live in central Florida

I would also prefer to try the sofa out before making any purchase. I prefer all around leather as well. Does Costco have many you can try in the store itself?
I've been searching craigslist, which there's some dealers there.

I'm not sure what happened to Ikea, but I used to love their stuff. I'm not sure if it's my area, because they moved into my area about a year or two ago, but I used to visit their store in Houston and loved their stuff. Now their stuff just seems really cheap as far as furniture is concerned, plus they don't have anything leather that is a recliner as well

What do you all think about actually traveling to North Carolina from Central Florida to buy furniture? I went to Baers furniture store and they had a couch I really liked made by futura leather, which after researching online they are also called leather direct. Their head quarters were in High Point, NC which after reading a lot it seems like it's the furniture capital. I've talked to a lot of people who think you get a better deal even going there and having them ship it than buying at a local store.

there are more furniture places in that area of NC than you could go to in week. its absolutely insane.

Aleia
Is it worth going there? I saw that it's 9 hour drive from where I live, but if what would cost me 4,000 dollars would cost me 2,000 or less then it would be worth it for me to drive there.

I would check out the store websites before driving that far. I do know that people drive from all over to shop there though.
They used to offer discount hotel rooms to shoppers...but I don't know if they still do. You can request catalogs ahead to time too. Hickory and Highpoint, NC are the places Im talking about. But, I hear the deals can be found all over that area of NC since there are SO many manufacturers. I suggest googling 'furniture capital' or 'High Point, NC' to get you started.

cheapbone,
Was talking to someone I know whose home burned down. She furnished her entire new house with furniture from Hickory, NC and saved 50% on EVERYTHING. Also, I drove through there yesterday and on the radio they were talking about a big New Years Day blowout. Kind of short notice. But, I think its worth it to at least check out the websites and see if you wanna drive there. Good luck.

Costco, But it's all in timing

Craigslist

We recently went through a thorough search for a leather reclining sofa. Ashley stuff was AWFUL!! Very poorly made and lots of bad BBB reviews around the country for their retail stores.

Costco's pieces were a major disappointment. For the price, there is much better out here.

La-Z-Boy was very well made, but limited styles and very pricey, IMO.

We eventually settled on a leather reclining sofa by Lane and have been more than pleased with the looks and the quality. The price was a nice mid-range too.

LANE FURNITURE LOCATOR

Costco's pieces were a major disappointment. For the price, there is much better out here.

Dont forget Costco Lifetime Return Policy

I just purchased a recliner at Ashley's yesterday in the Secaucus, NJ store. If you are a AAA member, you get 10% discount - make sure you show them your AAA card.

GettaClue said:
We eventually settled on a leather reclining sofa by Lane and have been more than pleased with the looks and the quality. The price was a nice mid-range too.

LANE FURNITURE LOCATOR

Lane has some very cheap furniture, too. We bought a new leather sofa from them (Eddie Bauer model), it was ordered custom from the factory.
The frame fell apart in 3 years time and the leather was sub-par.

IMO take a look at Drexel Heritage as they are much higher quality and have some great leather pieces.

bryan05 said: Craigslist

If you live in the right area you can find some great deals from people being thrown out of their expensive homes. You need to know your name brands and know how much it is really worth, however. Leather is generally 'ok' to buy second-hand as long as it was taken care of and no smoking, no pets, etc.

They say Janurary is the best time to buy furniture and to my suprise everytime I turn on the television I see adds. I've seen ads from kanes, rooms to go and baers multiple times why just watching 20 minutes of television.

The drive to NC is just too far for me, so I'm going to have to hit up some of these places.

I bought mine in the local furniture store. It's cheap yet in good quality.

I understand cheapbone....but keep NC in your mind for later. They really do have amazing deals. If you haven't been to Ikea in a while I would suggest checking them out again...you never know. I dont know how you feel about used stuff...but I have heard about people getting good deals from used hotel furniture outlets...and you probably have a place like that near you

I just bought a black bookcase from IKEA. It's the black lack bookcase and I turned it into a TV stand for my components since my LCD is mounted on the wall. It was actually the best looking TV stand I could find for my money.
It just seems what I'm looking for:
more of an espresso color sofa/love seat and recliner in leather isn't really offered at Ikea

I think shopping online at IKEA and then going to the store has been better for me. I see so much junk that sometimes I miss certain things and the crowd drives me insane.

It would be nice to drive to NC, but it's 9 and a half hours one way. So we're talking about 19 hours of driving, so I would have to without a doubt get at least 75% off of anything I can get here for it to make it worth my while to drive there and back and I guess I would need a hotel to say in

Hey cheapbone, if you haven't already bought your furniture let me suggest Bari Leather Furniture. I actually bought mine online (eBay even, and saved $200 over the price on their website!) from them, but they have a website and are locate in the Orlando area. I'm near Ft Myers so I could have driven there but time constraints prevented it. I went w/the Tuscany collection and could not be more pleased. It was a 7 week wait since they make it when you order it, but well worth the wait in my opinion. HTH.

ETA - even got lucky and got in on MS Cash Back since I bought through eBay - got an immediate $200 Cash Back on top of it.

I still haven't bought anything yet, mostly because I had to do some traveling and just didn't have the time. I'm going to look tomorrow

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014