When to buy NEW TV during pre-Super Bowl weeks?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm in the market to buy a new big TV. I've always heard that pre-SuperBowl was the absolute BEST time to buy. Yet the deals in this past Sunday's paper were nothing spectacular. Are good deals on the immediate horizon in your expert opinion?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Before Christmas was the time to buy. After the Superbowl will be another good time. However, given the fact that Circuit City is in bankruptcy, you may be able to play Best Buy, Sears, and CC against each other by talking to store managers directly to see what kind of deals they can offer you. Good Luck!

Friends of mine bought theirs last yr the day before the Big Game. They went out the weekend before and priced TV's found the one they wanted, the following saturday morning they went back and the TV they wanted was now 40% off. They got it delievered that afternoon free & they got this huge wall mounting support thingy for free as well.

I would think now with the big push to everything going digital signal and the big game coming up you should be able to strike up a good deal. shop online and compare, print out what your interested in and then go into the stores. Ok this part is going to sound really sexist but, find a girl sales person and shmooze her, tell her how knowledgeable she is, sweet talk her. or send your wife or GF to play up a male sales person...yeah it's dirty tricks...but it works.

Hope you get a great deal!

I'm really interested in this as well... I've heard the same thing about TVs around super bowl time.

So are you guys suggesting buying it -right- before... or right after?

I suggest buying it -during- the game.

Hype - just like the never ending threads around BF. If you are patient and persistent, good deals pop up ALL THE TIME.

Do some research to determine the size, features and type (LCD vs. Plasma), define your budget, and watch the Hot Deals forums.

There should be lots of good return / refurb deals on places like Amazon and onsale.com now, as people have second thoughts about Holiday purchases. If you are concerned about the warranty, get a squaretrade - good even on refurbs.

Passing on that "hot deal" at your local big box retailer means you will miss the high pressure sales pitches for overpriced Monster HDMI and audio cables, wall mounts and warrantees; and if you can't buy that new big screen without their "special financing", find something that you can afford and live within your means.

michaelkenyon said: I suggest buying it -during- the game.

I am interested to buy one too. Should I buy Before or After Feb 17 (digital TV D-day)?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014