taxslayer.com $7.96 e-filing (state + federal)

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Requires two email addresses:
  1. Sign up for an account at taxslayer.com.
  2. "Refer a friend" (but really use your secondary email address)
  3. Use your second email address to sign up for taxslayer.com again, and it can now use the "sav20" promo code to get 20% off the regular $9.95 price tag. You will also receive an email at your secondary address with the coupon code to use.

Taxslayer.com

PERSONAL NOTE: I've never used (or even heard of) taxslayer before. I'm going to use a family member's software in addition to checking my return by hand before efiling through taxslayer. Any comments on using this service?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I used them last year after researching them since I hadn't heard of them either and I had no problems whatsoever.

I used them for the last 2 years. I am not a tax expert but I found it to be a pretty good deal. There is no disc to buy or download, it is all done over the web. You can e-file federal and state for $9.95 ($7.95 with discount). I even called their customer service and they were friendly and helpful.

I've used them for several years now. It's a good Service as far as I'm concerned. I've never had any issues, and like the use of a web app opposed to installed software.

I have used TaxSlayer now for the last 3 years and plan to use them again this year. The web based app is easy to use and I prefer it over the pricey installed software. We have had no issues what so ever and highly recommend the service....cant really beat the price either, $9.95 total for BOTH state and federal.

I have used Taxslayer for 3 years and know others who have used it. I haven't had any problems with the returns and the returns have always been correct. I highly recommend the service/program. I really like that you don't have to download anything.

taxslayer is a good well-respected company among tax preparers. We've had a tax office over 15 years and tax slayer has been around a lot of that time. They can be trusted.

I was wrong

aqsquinky86 said: Requires two email addresses:
  1. Sign up for an account at taxslayer.com.
  2. "Refer a friend" (but really use your secondary email address)
  3. Use your second email address to sign up for taxslayer.com again, and it can now use the "sav20" promo code to get 20% off the regular $9.95 price tag. You will also receive an email at your secondary address with the coupon code to use.

Taxslayer.com

PERSONAL NOTE: I've never used (or even heard of) taxslayer before. I'm going to use a family member's software in addition to checking my return by hand before efiling through taxslayer. Any comments on using this service?

Thanks OP..I am glad that I see a posting about TaxSlayer. It may not be quite as robust as TT or TA..but still it is a very online product to use. The cost can't be beat. I first heard about it on FW during the end of 2006 and I have used it for two years. I have a slightly complex tax case with Schedule D, and royalties and Tax Slayer was able to handle it fine.

i e-filed on Jan 9th and still waiting on response with TAXSLAYER this is my first year is anyone else having this problem.

squinky86 said:

They're listed as an Authorized e-file Partner on the irs.gov website.
http://irs.gov/efile/lists/0,,id=101223,00.html

-------------------------
Quote from IRS site:
Authorized e-file Partners Notice

The Internal Revenue Service has entered into partnership agreements with these companies to foster electronic filing...

-------------------------

I'm assuming that means they're legit.

Thanks for the post.

msjay2009, the Fed isn't sending back responses until Monday the 19th. You probably won't hear anything until then. I've been using TaxSlayer for over 6 years (I also do my mother-in-law's, brothers', and sisters' taxes, so I've used quite a few e-file services depending on which qualified for free-file at the time). It's definitely the cleanest and fastest. They always have the latest forms, credits, etc (you'd be surprised how terrible some others that link from the IRS website are - like you get through the whole process and in the end they inform you that they don't have your state's form available). I've never had a single problem with TaxSlayer. Don't worry.

Thanks for all the input; I greatly appreciate it!
However, I found a way that's cheaper for me: my dad purchased Tax Cut, so I'm going to use one of his federal e-files, then snail my state return in. That way, I get the $7500 tax "credit" for first-time home buyers (note: this is a 0% loan, not a credit) quickly, and I'm not getting much of a state return anyways.

Total cost: electricity + stamp + ink pen

Taxslayer charges $4.95 to view and print prior returns. That sucks!

I file jointly with my wife. Is taxslayer better then TurboTax-

Last year I had a business which my cpa told me to incorporate to save money on taxes. I had a family emergency and so I made zero income from that buisness tghsi yr. I wonder if i still need to file a return for the bhusiness even though I made no money from it. My cpa retired and i don't feel like spending several hundred dollars for another cpa to do our taxes.

I have used Taxslayer for four years. It has gone without a hitch every time. I will use them again this year too. Highly recommended.

Yes, you must file. If you don't you'll start to receive nasty-grams in August of the following year. You'll receive from the feds and state. Here's a suggestion - download the same form numbers prepared last year. Put Zero's all over them, and file. I'm an OK CPA in tax practice.

Yes! That sucks, but that's why it's $7.95. The feds and states want you to surrender all your data in an electronic file, then they don't have to punch it, it's easier, quicker, cheaper for the tax guy to process, audit, compare. The service bureaus want to increase income just like everybody wants to. My CPA firm has used TaxSlayer for more than four years. If you save a copy of your return as a pdf file when you prepare your return you'll avoid the unfair, high copy fee. I believe the IRS charges a $25 fee for a copy of your return.

If you save your return to your computer you don't have to pay for a copy. And while it will have the words copy all over it, that is sufficient for me.

I've used this online Taxslayer for three years now, it works great

I have also used them for years - never had any problems and have always received my return quite rapidly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014