Turning Rebate Visa Check Cards Into Cash??

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
(My first post since the rebate topic was moved here. Hope I put this in the right spot).


As most here know, Symantec started issuing Visa Gift Cards instead of rebate checks a couple years back. I really donít like it because it does not reimburse you for your product purchase as a rebate check does. Instead, it forces you to make another purchase in the exact amount of the Visa Gift Card to get your money.

I personally feel is a scam to get inactivity fees from the cards and not have to pay the full rebate value since you know it will be hard for the consumer to spend every penny on the card. With all the negative comments here and elsewhere I had seen I foolishly hoped Symantec would see how unpopular these were and go back to issuing checks. No luck. In fact, it seems Staples has started.

That said, I am pretty disciplined about rebates. I track them, I deposit the checks and make sure that money goes to the credit card I used to place the order. This causes the rebate to do what it was supposed to do, wipe out my out of pocket cost for some of all of the product. That doesn't work so well with the Visa Gift Cards.

The only method I have found with these Visa Gift Cards that uses every penny is to use them to purchase a gift card to a store I shop in the same amount. Then, I use that card toward a future purchase at that store and get my full amount back. However, again, it forces me to make a purchase (of a gift card) to get my full rebate value back. It does not put money directly back in my pocket to may for the rebate item.

Has anyone come up with a way to get the value of the Visa Gift Card in cash? Can it be loaded into a Paypal account? (donít think so) or at some other site so you can actually get the money off the Visa Gift Card without having to spend the card on something else?

I keep thinking there has to be a way to get cash in the full amount of the card off the Visa Gift Card. Just canít come up with it and I have about $200 in them coming soon.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Some of us get 5% on gas/grocery purchases and as such would lose those rewards by using the rebate card. If you want to... (more)

SUB (Jul. 01, 2009 @ 8:49a) |

RE:
Some of us get 5% on gas/grocery purchases and as such would lose those rewards by using the rebate card. If you want... (more)

yesidonoitall (Jul. 01, 2009 @ 9:16a) |

Here are the steps to get a FULL cash rebate from a Verizon Rebate Card online. I just did this successfully with a $50 ... (more)

rubytunes (Jul. 19, 2009 @ 11:50a) |

You can request a check for your Visa Prepaid Card by calling (866) 727-2461 once you have received your card. You will have to wait an additional 2 - 6 weeks (claimed, more realistically 8) for your check(s) to arrive.

OR

Most banks should be able to process a Cash Advance in the full amount on your Visa Rebate Card but will need your ID like your Driver License. If one bank can't do it, try another one. I don't think you have to have an account at the bank to do this Cash Advance.

Use the VISA card where ever you make another purchase... groceries, other St@ples purchases... household supplies... I'm sure you spend that somewhere... I just did that last night with my Visa card.. pickuped up some household items and they applied it towards my purchase... if you don't use the full amount just remember the balance left on the card ... (ie.. $200 Visa less purchase of $10.50 = leaving a balance on the card of $189.50... next purchase deduct that amount off, the balance...) but most grocery bills are close to $200 anyways (at least for us)..

your account will still look the same... you are still saving the $200 .. whether you put a check into your account and spend it or you have the $$ deducted from you bill that would have normally come from your account

I always use those cards for gas as I know I'll need that anyway. The only problem is you have to go inside and pay first as they do not work at the pump.

I think the easier way to use them is paying for bills online such as verizon, comcast, cell phone bill, etc... Use the entire balance of the card and have a negative balance left over for next month bill. If you have a big gift card amount, you can split the amount between 2-3 bills.

Hi OP,

I feel your pain. My purchase of Symantec products has gone down by almost 90% over the last year & a half, because I would much rather receive the check too. But, what impact would a piddly single consumer like me have on the mighty Symantec?

If you are willing to wait an additional 2 - 6 weeks (claimed, realistically 8), you can request a check for your card by calling (866) 727-2461.

Other methods of best use for these cards are discussed in Staples changed their rebate payment type from check to visa gift cards

Unfortunately for me (and maybe for others, like you), it appears there are folks out there who prefer these over checks as it saves them a trip to the bank. I can only gather these are unlikely to go away and even more companies/stores could follow.

naharter said: Use the VISA card where ever you make another purchase... groceries, other St@ples purchases... household supplies... I'm sure you spend that somewhere.

I appreciate the response, but the whole idea if I don't want to SPEND it anywhere. I want the cash in my pocket so I can pay for the merchandise I bought with a rebate. If something is "free after rebate" it isn't "free" if I had purchase other merchandise to get the money.

I take it from these responses that there isn't a way to get the money in my hand. I do, however, like the "pay Verizon or Comcast" idea! I assume I can make a payment from one of those cards in a set amount that is the face value of the card. While I prefer cash, I would have to pay Verizon or Comcast that month anyway so reducing my cost for cable, wireless phone, etc that month would kinda be like putting more cash in my pocket at the end of the month I could then transfer to the credit card to pay for the rebate purchase.

I know, I am a pain about this. I just really miss those rebate checks.

master10 said: I think the easier way to use them is paying for bills online such as verizon, comcast, cell phone bill, etc... Use the entire balance of the card and have a negative balance left over for next month bill. If you have a big gift card amount, you can split the amount between 2-3 bills.

Thats a good idea...because to use smaller ones on grocery and stuff ..i inadvertently end up leaving a small amount on the GC and never using it.

RE:
it forces you to make another purchase in the exact amount of the Visa Gift Card to get your money.


No, that is not correct, you can spend as you wish on many purchases.






COBBCITY said: (My first post since the rebate topic was moved here. Hope I put this in the right spot).


As most here know, Symantec started issuing Visa Gift Cards instead of rebate checks a couple years back. I really donít like it because it does not reimburse you for your product purchase as a rebate check does. Instead, it forces you to make another purchase in the exact amount of the Visa Gift Card to get your money.

I personally feel is a scam to get inactivity fees from the cards and not have to pay the full rebate value since you know it will be hard for the consumer to spend every penny on the card. With all the negative comments here and elsewhere I had seen I foolishly hoped Symantec would see how unpopular these were and go back to issuing checks. No luck. In fact, it seems Staples has started.

That said, I am pretty disciplined about rebates. I track them, I deposit the checks and make sure that money goes to the credit card I used to place the order. This causes the rebate to do what it was supposed to do, wipe out my out of pocket cost for some of all of the product. That doesn't work so well with the Visa Gift Cards.

The only method I have found with these Visa Gift Cards that uses every penny is to use them to purchase a gift card to a store I shop in the same amount. Then, I use that card toward a future purchase at that store and get my full amount back. However, again, it forces me to make a purchase (of a gift card) to get my full rebate value back. It does not put money directly back in my pocket to may for the rebate item.

Has anyone come up with a way to get the value of the Visa Gift Card in cash? Can it be loaded into a Paypal account? (donít think so) or at some other site so you can actually get the money off the Visa Gift Card without having to spend the card on something else?

I keep thinking there has to be a way to get cash in the full amount of the card off the Visa Gift Card. Just canít come up with it and I have about $200 in them coming soon.

Thanks!

I see no problem is getting the Visa card.

Biggest yet due me is 2 x $299.99
for 2 buys of
Intuit Quick Books
Cash Register Plus

$299.99 minus $75 off coupons, so $224.99 OTD
Then ER of $299.99

I understand some of us may not care about the Visa Gift cards. The purpose of this post was not to ask if you are ok with the Visa Gift Cards, it was to ask how one can (if possible) get the value of the card in cash off the card so you don't HAVE to make a purchase elsewhere in order to get the value.

It seems the best answer is to use it to pay a bill where the web site accept credit card payments and you can tell them the amount to charge. I appreciate that suggestion.

I know some of you are ok with spending the cards at a store or have no problems getting Visa Gift Cards. YIPEE! I am glad you are happy. It wasn't what was being asked, but I wish you continued happiness.

COBBCITY said: ...

I take it from these responses that there isn't a way to get the money in my hand.

...
Just one message above yours deepwallet said: If you are willing to wait an additional 2 - 6 weeks (claimed, realistically 8), you can request a check for your card by calling (866) 727-2461.

use it to pay your cell phone bill online, you can type any amount you want.

deepwallet said: Hi OP,

I feel your pain. My purchase of Symantec products has gone down by almost 90% over the last year & a half, because I would much rather receive the check too. But, what impact would a piddly single consumer like me have on the mighty Symantec?

If you are willing to wait an additional 2 - 6 weeks (claimed, realistically 8), you can request a check for your card by calling (866) 727-2461.

Other methods of best use for these cards are discussed in Staples changed their rebate payment type from check to visa gift cards

Unfortunately for me (and maybe for others, like you), it appears there are folks out there who prefer these over checks as it saves them a trip to the bank. I can only gather these are unlikely to go away and even more companies/stores could follow.


Deepwallet,

My thanks! I was reading a number of replies at once from those who seems to like the Visa card or were ok with spending to use the and I TOTALLY missed your response. I was not aware you could call and get a check.

If you have two paypal accounts you should be able to send the money from one paypal account to the other, and then in the destination paypal account transfer the money received to your bank account. (You will need to pay paypal fees.)

Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.

Use them for gasoline

pedrum said: Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.


my point exactly... the rebate check would be deposited to your account to then spend the money on gas, groceries, bills,, etc...

pedrum said: Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.


Thank you so much for your suggestion. However, I must remind again that the question asked was "How do you get cash from these Visa Check Cards to pay for the rebate item." Paying for gas or groceries with the Visa Debit Card is not "problem solved" because it was not what I asked. But, again, nice of you to contribute.

pedrum said: Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.
Except that I get 5% on gas, groceries, and some other by using my CC. So I use these check cards on things that I don't get a bonus on, like my cell phone bill.

naharter said: pedrum said: Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.


my point exactly... the rebate check would be deposited to your account to then spend the money on gas, groceries, bills,, etc...



Oh no, no.

As I said in my original post, the rebate check would NOT be deposted and used to spend on gas groceries, bills, etc. I use the rebate check to pay for the rebate item by sending those funds to the credit card I charged the purchase to.

Again, thank you SO much for your contribution to this thread. However, please re-read my original question and you'll see the response doesn't actually answer it.

OK.. use the VISA card for online payment of that bill.. same thing

naharter said: OK.. use the VISA card for online payment of that bill.. same thing

Thanks. Yup, someone already suggested using the cards for bill payment above. However, my MasterCard doesn't take Visa Check Card as a payment method. Does your credit card allow you to pay it with a credit card??

Since I live near Disneyland I just take the card there a buy Disney Dollars. I then just stop and exchange them for cash when I leave. I believe that you can also change Disney Dollars back to cash at the Disney Store too. Just buy some on one day and change them back later.

Dude. It's not that complicated. Lets say you charge $300 per month on your credit card. And assume you have an X amount in your checkings.

Scenario A (receiving VISA gift card)

You received a $100 VISA gift card. Good, now use that $100 VISA gift card instead of your credit card for the first $100 in purchases. Okay, you now would have to write a check to your credit card for $200. So, your checkings accout would look like X - $200.

Scenario B(receiving check)

You received a $100 check. You deposited it in the bank. You charged $300 to your credit card. Okay, you now would have to write a check to your credit card for $300. Your checkings account would look like X + $100 - $300.

Scenario A = Scenario B because X - $200 = X + $100 - $300.

Edit: It is true, unless you get a significant amount of bonus on your cc on everything you charge or you don't charge more than the value of the gift card in 6 months to a year. Either case, this has very little impact and rarely true for most people.

master10 said: I think the easier way to use them is paying for bills online such as verizon, comcast, cell phone bill, etc... Use the entire balance of the card and have a negative balance left over for next month bill. If you have a big gift card amount, you can split the amount between 2-3 bills.That is correct, paying a utility bill using the entire card amount is probably the best use. However, I do not recommend trying it with Cablevision. The idiots put a $1 temporary charge on the card to validate it when you initially enter it as a payment method. That means if you immediately try to pay your bill using that card for the full amount on the card, you will not be able to because it thinks that $n-1 is available. You need to wait a week to use the full amount.

What I generally do is go to the Verizon Wireless store near me and use their ATM-like payment machine. It is tedious since you need to go through several screens to pay the bill, and they do not have an option to make another payment on the same account (which would make it MUCH simpler) but you don't need to enter the account number this way since you just swipe the card.

Verizon Wireless also has the best Visa debit rebate cards. They allow you to request an EFT transfer of the funds, or you can even go to your local Visa-affiliated bank and do a cash advance (no fee, of course). It is truly how these cards SHOULD work.

roadwarrior313 said: You received a $100 VISA gift card. Good, now use that $100 VISA gift card instead of your credit card for the first $100 in purchases.How often do you have EXACTLY $100 in purchases? Isn't it much more likely to be $95 or $105? Which means you need to go to some effort to use the entire amount on the card.

COBBCITY said:
As most here know, Symantec started issuing Visa Gift Cards instead of rebate checks a couple years back. I really donít like it because it does not reimburse you for your product purchase as a rebate check does. Instead, it forces you to make another purchase in the exact amount of the Visa Gift Card to get your money.


I bought the Antivirus at OD. looking at the rebate form it says if you buy from OD you get a check and if you buy from any other store you get a Visa card.

billrubin said: roadwarrior313 said: You received a $100 VISA gift card. Good, now use that $100 VISA gift card instead of your credit card for the first $100 in purchases.How often do you have EXACTLY $100 in purchases? Isn't it much more likely to be $95 or $105? Which means you need to go to some effort to use the entire amount on the card.

Gas for $30.xx, 30.xx, 30.xx, 9.xx to $100 exact. Cell phone bill where I can put in any amount. Most stores allow you to use 2 separate cards in 1 purchase. So if I buy a $150 item, I use $100 gift card then $50 on my credit card.

roadwarrior313 said: Gas for $30.xx, 30.xx, 30.xx, 9.xx to $100 exact.And unlike with a gas gift card, the pump has no idea how much is available on the card. So it is likely that the last two charges would not work with pay-at-the-pump because they would attempt to get an initial authorization of $50. And on the last one, you'd have to know exactly how much was left to make sure you did not exceed it and have the payment declined (assuming you went inside and gave them the card). Gas/restaurant use is about the worst way to use them because of the over-authorization (for restaurants, it's for the tip).

billrubin said: And unlike with a gas gift card, the pump has no idea how much is available on the card. So it is likely that the last two charges would not work with pay-at-the-pump because they would attempt to get an initial authorization of $50. And on the last one, you'd have to know exactly how much was left to make sure you did not exceed it and have the payment declined (assuming you went inside and gave them the card).

Fine, but people can just use that $100 Visa card to buy $100 Exxon card and use that for gas. If it's the first time you use it and you use it to buy a item over $100, just charge $100 to the Visa card and the rest to your cc. I am sure most people shop at places where the total is over $100 in a span of 6 months.

How often do you have EXACTLY $100 in purchases? Isn't it much more likely to be $95 or $105? Which means you need to go to some effort to use the entire amount on the card.

I suspect that is all part of their "game". They offer you a $50 rebate knowing most people won't be able to spend the exact $50 on the Visa Check Card and there will be a couple dollars left most won't bother to redeem. If you have 1,000 $50 rebates with $2 left on each Visa Card you can take back someday for non-use, you just got $2,000 you didn't have to pay in rebates.

If you issued all checks, you'd have to give consumers the whole thing.

I'd love to see the pitch Visa is making to those offering rebates. There has to be a "catch" in there that makes it more attractive to them than issuing checks or they wouldn't be switching over.

I've "cashed" my prepaid cards in the past as follows:

1. Buy a Rite Aid gift card using the prepaid card(s).
2. Buy the FAR items at RiteAid.
3. When I'm done for the month, I request my SCR check.
4. Receive check in ~2 weeks.
5. Deposit check it in the bank.

I usually use coupons on the FAR items, so any sales tax is usually covered.

However, I do lose 3% CC rewards since I'm not using my CC.

COBBCITY said: naharter said: pedrum said: Money is fungible. Take the $100 you were going to pay for gas, groceries, bills, and use the card instead.

problem solved.


my point exactly... the rebate check would be deposited to your account to then spend the money on gas, groceries, bills,, etc...



Oh no, no.

As I said in my original post, the rebate check would NOT be deposted and used to spend on gas groceries, bills, etc. I use the rebate check to pay for the rebate item by sending those funds to the credit card I charged the purchase to.

Again, thank you SO much for your contribution to this thread. However, please re-read my original question and you'll see the response doesn't actually answer it.



This thread only is useful to people who spend less than a prepaid giftcard's amount a month on other items. If say you get $100 in prepaid visa rebates, and you spend more than $100 a month, problem solved. If you get $100 in prepaid cards, but have no spending, then OP's problem arises.

This is extremely hypertechnical and synthetic as to be only helpful for a few category of individuals--lets say someone who has NO spending. Now, there is obviously a contingency of people who -- would have used Cash Back 5% etc cards -- instead of the prepaid visa.

Here are my suggestions for that:

1) wait outside a store and offer to buy people things in exchange for cash.
2) offer to buy things for friends in exchange for cash
3) pick up a tab when going out in exchange for cash from others
4) pay for other people's bills in exchange for cash

I could understand if the prepaid visa could only be used at a certain few stores (like a gift card) but there are hardly any restraints on prepaid credit cards.

RE:
If you get $100 in prepaid cards, but have no spending, then OP's problem arises.

No spending?

Grocery Store
Starbux
Movies
etc etc etc

I use a PP debit MC at many gas stations, when I say
pay inside
they never want the card first.

yesidonoitall said: I use a PP debit MC at many gas stations, when I say
pay inside
they never want the card first.
Depends on the store, I guess.

COBBCITY said:
Thank you so much for your suggestion. However, I must remind again that the question asked was "How do you get cash from these Visa Check Cards to pay for the rebate item." Paying for gas or groceries with the Visa Debit Card is not "problem solved" because it was not what I asked. But, again, nice of you to contribute.
Ya but the question itself is wrong. The question should be "how do I make sure I am even" and I think there are many ways to get there as suggested. I think people are trying to help you by trying to answer a question that you should be asking.

This thread only is useful to people who spend less than a prepaid giftcard's amount a month on other items. If say you get $100 in prepaid visa rebates, and you spend more than $100 a month, problem solved. If you get $100 in prepaid cards, but have no spending, then OP's problem arises.

ATTENTION FELLOW POSTERS:

I am the OP here. Somehow, this thread got WAY off track. I simply said:

-I am strict about my rebates and make sure I deposit the checks and send the money to the credit card I bought the rebate item on so I am indeed using the rebate for it's purpose.

- I don't want to HAVE to purchase something somewhere to use the Check Card Money.

- I asked if there was a way to get the cash off the card and into a bank account.

SOMEHOW this turned into a discussion about how to use the Visa Check Card at Gas Stations, how I somehow said I have "no spending" that I could use the Visa check card toward, etc. I didn't ask about gas stations, I didn't say I don't have other bills, I didn't ask if you can buy a goat from a farmer with the Visa Check Card. All I asked was if there was a way to get the money off the card and into a bank account so I could pay the credit card for the rebate item as I would when I got a check.

Some of you very nicely suggested I use the Visa Card to pay Comcast of Verizon bills which would indeed use the card in full and then I could send the funds intended for Verizon or Comcast to my credit card. That accomplishes the same thing as I was trying. Another told me I could request a check, which I did not know.

MY THANKS!

To those who somehow misread my OP and think I have no bills and don't buy gas or groceries, please re-read.

COBBCITY said:
SOMEHOW et al...
Nope - not somehow - just people trying to make the thread useful. Because "how do I break a stone with my bare hands (and it has to be bare hands because I the OP said so)" may not be as useful a question to answer as let us say "I need to break a stone - how BEST can I do it (SOMEHOW the question became how to break a stone in the best possible way...)".

Skipping 64 Messages...
Here are the steps to get a FULL cash rebate from a Verizon Rebate Card online. I just did this successfully with a $50 card.
1. go to wwww.verizonwireless.com/rebates
2. click "Manage Your Rebate Card"
3. click "Register Your Card Now." This is the step they don't tell you about.
4. AFTER your card is registered, click on "Access$" and you will now see all the desired cash-out options listed (e.g., transfer funds to bank account, get a check in the mail, etc). IMPORTANT: These options are NOT shown unless you register the card. This is where I spent a lot of frustrating time going around in circles, which I suspect also happens to most others trying to do this.
5. You may or may not have to logout and then log back in for the cash-out links to work. When I tried to go directly to them immediately after registering, it kept saying I had a balance of $0.00. However, it worked after I logged out and logged back in.

Note: You have to do this process with each new rebate card you receive, as far as I can tell. You also must NOT have used the card for any prior purchases to use the cash-out options (i.e., you must have a full balance). Good luck!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014