Costco executive membership benefits

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
We all know that Costco provides a great value for buying things in bulk, but few realize that upgrading to executive membership is a risk-free deal. With executive membership you get a wide range of benefits through third party services, not all of them listed, so let's start tracking all the deals that's available.

The executive membership cost $50 to upgrade and provides 2% Cash Back on Costco purchases. If the 2% CashBack doesn't add up to $50 at end of the year, go to the counter and they'll refund you the difference. This makes the executive membership practically risk free.

Known executive membership benefits:
- 2% cash on Costco purchases
- Free Auto/Home insurance benefits
* Free Roadside Assistance
* Home Glass Repair Reimbursement Benefit
* Home Lockout Assistance
* Lifetime Renewability
- Mexico Auto insurance: Extra 10% off
- Auto loans: Additional .10% off rates
- Boat/RV loans: Extra $50 costco card
- Check ordering: Extra 20% off
- Identity protection: $2 off monthly
- Capital One Banking: Additional $40 when opening account
- Trading: Extra 15% transaaction charge rebates
- Roadside assistance: 41% off compared to gold member prices
- Discount off Business services

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The benefits listed at the beginning of this post are NOT "Executive Member Benefits" but (from the Costco brochure in f... (more)

ShameOnYou (Jul. 19, 2009 @ 2:25p) |

The 2% is not available to all members.

captainjrl (Jul. 19, 2009 @ 3:05p) |

I decided to get the executive membership since the second person's usage is included for the 2% CB. My friends are sin... (more)

elenax (Aug. 17, 2009 @ 3:37p) |

Known executive membership benefits in addition to Gold/Business membership.

- 2% Cash Back on Costco purchases
- Free Auto/Home insurance benefits
* Home Glass Repair Reimbursement Benefit
* Home Lockout Assistance
* Lifetime Renewability
- Check ordering: Extra 20% off
- Auto insurance in Mexico: Extra 10% off
- Auto loans: Additional .10% off rates
- Boat/RV loans: Extra $50 costco card
- Identity protection: $2 off monthly
- Capital One Banking: Additional $40 when opening account
- Trading: Extra $20 when opening. Extra 15% transaction charge rebates
- Roadside assistance: Additional 41% off compared to gold member prices
- Discount off business services
- 15% discount at most dealerships for parts, labor and accessories.

Reference article:
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2006/11/is-costco-executive-membership-worth-it.html

*note: enabled link
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sailwind said:

Can you verify the above? Shows from $38.50-$58.50: Cross Country Motor Club through Costco

Much more than that short list, here is another.
Receive an $85 account bonus at Sharebuilder

sailwind said: If the 2% CashBack doesn't add up to $50 at end of the year, go to the counter and they'll refund you the difference. This makes the executive membership practically risk free.

is this official or YMMV? I did not see such guarantees on COSTCO web site.

--Free Auto/Home insurance benefits

Does it really mean free auto/home insurance?

The refund is official. It's part of their satisfaction guarantee which they will refund the executive membership cost at any time less the Cash Back you have received. See this article where people have been successful getting the difference back.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2006/11/is-costco-executive-membership-worth-it.html

The free roadside assistance is through Auto insurance with Costco Ameriprise.

Please feel free to add to the list in the wiki summary.

casttree said: --Free Auto/Home insurance benefits

Does it really mean free auto/home insurance?

Haha no. Free "benefits".

zgenerale said: sailwind said:

Can you verify the above? Shows from $38.50-$58.50: Cross Country Motor Club through Costco

The roadside assistance comes free when you have auto insurance through the Costco Insurance Agency. I had to use it once. I was on hold for an hour waiting for someone, who took my information and said they'd get back to me soon. It was over an hour before the return call, by which time my wife and I had already replaced the tire and driven home! (We mostly wanted help because it was about 20 below outside.

Does anyone have experience with Cross Country Motor Club? I wonder if they run the insurance's free roadside assistance, or do a better job for individually paying customers.

Even better is the Exec Membership of 2% and the AMEX through COSTCO.
My last checks were, in February 2008:
AMEX - ~430.00
EXEC @ 2% - ~140.00

This February 2009, my Reward through AMEX Costco will be ~564.00, I am expecting the check any day now.

Talk about a Fatwallet!
Lineman

A friend of mine just had granite countertops installed through one of their third party companies and she said the Costco price was the lowest out of any of the quotes she received from other companies.

lineman said: Even better is the Exec Membership of 2% and the AMEX through COSTCO.
My last checks were, in February 2008:
AMEX - ~430.00
EXEC @ 2% - ~140.00

This February 2009, my Reward through AMEX Costco will be ~564.00, I am expecting the check any day now.

Talk about a Fatwallet!
Lineman

Actually the best option is the Costco Business membership along with the Costco Business AMEX. The benefits are the same for the Costco membership as listed in the Executive but the Business AMEX gives back 5% (vs. 3%) on gasoline purchases everywhere except other Store owned gas stations (Sams club like). I know that alone is a big enough savings for me since I can now shop the lowest gas and not have to look for a specific gas station that offers the discount.

I also always buy my tires from Costco. Their upfront cost might be higher than what you can get from other tire places but with Free tire rotation and Balancing it pays for itself if you use it twice since most of my local places wanted $25-$40 for it. Add to the fact that since they are not a full auto place they will not pressure you to buy Stupid wipers and push for oil changes and such.

Shahhere

AMEX Blue is a MUCH better deal, assuming you use your credit card extensively, pay your entire balance at the end of the month, and do most of your shopping in stores other than Costco. Unlike the Costco Business AMEX, there is no annual fee, earn 5% Cash Back at not only gas stations, but supermarkets and drug stores as well. We are just completing our first year, and will receive a credit of almost $1k to our February bill. It also includes AMEX's standard purchase and travel bennies.

Unless you have a reason to buy in bulk, working the grocery forum, coupons and store promotions work out to be MUCH cheaper than Costco for most every day items - and the extra 5% from Blue adds up quickly.

I have a small business and keep the Exec membership for their credit card merchant account. Will now know to ask for the refund, as we don't buy much at Costco.

shank said: AMEX Blue is a MUCH better deal, assuming you use your credit card extensively, pay your entire balance at the end of the month, and do most of your shopping in stores other than Costco. Unlike the Costco Business AMEX, there is no annual fee,
I don't disagree with your comments on BLUE ...BUT for me, anyway, THERE IS NO ANNUAL FEE on the Costco Business card.... I also appreciate the 3% back on restaurant meals on the Costco Bus Card.

Costco Business AMEX has no annual fee. When shopping at Costco you really should be using the Fidelity AMEX card for 2% Cash Back. AMEX Blue is good but the $6500 tiered thing annoys the heck out of me. This is what I do:

- Gas/restaurants: Costco Business AMEX (5% gas, 3% food)
- Supermarkets: Chase Rewards (5% supermarket/drugstores/gas)
- Amazon: Amazon visa (6% Amazon purchases, stays at home)
- Phone/Utilities: Citi homerebate (6% cell phone, home phone, internet, cable, dish, utilities, stays at home)
- Costco: Fidelity AMEX (2%)
- Everythingelse: Schwab Visa (2% everything)

Getting rid of my Business AMEX this week. I've been holding it @ 0 just so I can get my rebate this month. 5% Cash Back on gas was a good deal, but they are STILL American Express, and I don't care for the way they do business.

Getting rid of my Costco Business AMEX this week. I've been holding it @ 0 just so I can get my rebate this month. 5% Cash Back on gas was a good deal, but they are STILL American Express, and I don't care for the way they do business.

kirak said: Getting rid of my Costco Business AMEX this week. I've been holding it @ 0 just so I can get my rebate this month. 5% Cash Back on gas was a good deal, but they are STILL American Express, and I don't care for the way they do business.

You are in the minority from what I can see and read on most of the forums. AMEX has been a Godsend for most people on FW and for that matter savvy customers with their coverage’s and benefits:

They used to do internet price matching where AMEX would refund you the price diff upto $250 (This benefit has stopped)
They double warranties on products or add 1 year whichever is smaller - This benefit has saved me hundreds from Cameras, scanners, TVs, phones, shredders...
Their dispute center has most of the times been very fair in my favor rather than siding with the merchant vs. other cards who take long and often times make the dispute process cumbersome.
Many other benefits.

Shahhere

good deals on the citi homerebates. I'm going to have to look some of that up.

Did not realize that the Costco Biz AMEX was free, since we use Blue for personal purchases, and I use a Hilton HHonors Platinum AMEX for business. I typically spend 4 - 7 nights per month in a hotel, generally stay in Hamptons, and accumulate enough points for at least one free week at Hilton resort property - worth well over $1000 or more. http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditamex.do. There are no blackout dates, award limitations, and never had any issues getting a room at properties like the Hilton Waikoloa Village (Big Island, HI) or Hilton Papagayo Resort (Costa Rica).
5 HHonors bonus points for every U.S. dollar (or U.S. dollar equivalent) charged at participating Hilton Family hotels (less returns).
5 HHonors bonus points for every dollar charged at grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, restaurants, U.S. postal service, and for wireless phone bills
3 HHonors bonus points elsewhere. In addition, I get 500 HHonors bonus points for every hotel stay booked any Hilton Family website and charged to my Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card.
I have enough nights to reach Diamond VIP status, but they offer HHonors Gold VIP for one year when you make eligible charges of $20,000 in a calendar year.

SuperOcean said: good deals on the citi homerebates. I'm going to have to look some of that up.
6% rebate on select purchases for the 1st 6/12 months (depending on referral); 1% after on all other purchases

sailwind said: Costco Business AMEX has no annual fee. When shopping at Costco you really should be using the Fidelity AMEX card for 2% Cash Back. AMEX Blue is good but the $6500 tiered thing annoys the heck out of me. This is what I do:

- Gas/restaurants: Costco Business AMEX (5% gas, 3% food)
- Supermarkets: Chase Rewards (5% supermarket/drugstores/gas)
- Amazon: Amazon visa (6% Amazon purchases, stays at home)
- Phone/Utilities: Citi homerebate (6% cell phone, home phone, internet, cable, dish, utilities, stays at home)
- Costco: Fidelity AMEX (2%)
- Everythingelse: Schwab Visa (2% everything)

Where is this "Chase Rewards" card that offers 5%? Any conditions?

It's not available anymore, although it still works for me.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/746242?highlight_key=y&keyword1=chase+rewards

I looked at Amazon's Visa Business or Personal Rewards offers but see no mention of a 6% cb. Did you get this feature recently?

puddykat said: I looked at Amazon's Visa Business or Personal Rewards offers but see no mention of a 6% cb. Did you get this feature recently?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/860752?highlight_key=y...

where can you get the free AMEX business card? is that the one they have it for $125 yearly fee?

moneynomore said: where can you get the free AMEX business card? is that the one they have it for $125 yearly fee?

No fee. It's the Costco Business AMEX. Just give them any company name and they'll take it, no verification.

shahhere said:
I also always buy my tires from Costco. Their upfront cost might be higher than what you can get from other tire places but with Free tire rotation and Balancing it pays for itself if you use it twice since most of my local places wanted $25-$40 for it. Add to the fact that since they are not a full auto place they will not pressure you to buy Stupid wipers and push for oil changes and such.

Shahhere

America's Tire Co./Discount Tires has the best rates I've seen. They even do the free balance and rotate service for life. Spend a little extra on the nominal tire protection and you get free repair or replacement on your tires should something happen that isn't normal wear and tear. They're really friendly about it.

Can someone explain how to get this:

HOme Glass Repair Reimbursement Benefit? Is this through the homeowner's insurance through Costco?

(which by the way, after price comparison, seems to be the best value for $$$, plus it gets charged to the card yearly and that adds up to the rebate)

If anyone has a link to that particular section, could you please post?

Thanks and PEACE to all

It's through the Ameriprise auto/home insurance.

https://www14.ameriprise.com/AutoQuoteWebInter/AQFrontServlet?request_type=un_auth_init&PartnerID=COSTCO&RefID=11m-c3

moneynomore said: where can you get the free AMEX business card? is that the one they have it for $125 yearly fee?

It is not a Platinum card, so you do not get all of the bennies of most typical AMEX business cards, such as free entry to airport clubs and the like.

Cin587 said: shahhere said:

Shahhere

America's Tire Co./Discount Tires has the best rates I've seen. They even do the free balance and rotate service for life. Spend a little extra on the nominal tire protection and you get free repair or replacement on your tires should something happen that isn't normal wear and tear. They're really friendly about it.

Costco had the best deal for me.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2004&pc=34855&counter=1&ar=55&rd=17&vid=008902&sw=false&cs=225

locksmith service needs home insurance by ameriprise

I have it and the two main uses I get are the 2% back yearly and the extra discount on check ordering. For me, those two have made it worth it.

TIA. Please clarify:

1) E.g. I purchased $1000 at Costco; total Executive Cash Back = $20. That's only $10 more than regular members, so I will get back $40 at the end of the year?

2) Will I have to change membership to regular member to do this? Meaning, they give me the $40 as a refund for not finding Executive worthwhile, so I would need to go back to regular membership?

3) I'm not a current Costco member. Should I sign up as a Business member, then go into the store and ask for the upgrade, or just sign up as an Executive member right away?

3a) From reading the PDF form, it asks for a business license number. I don't have a registered business, but I do consult / etc (sole proprietor), so can I still sign up for Business membership? (The online form does not ask for business license, but PDF also asks for 3 pieces of business ID.)

Thanks.

etanFW said: TIA. Please clarify:

1) E.g. I purchased $1000 at Costco; total Executive Cash Back = $20. That's only $10 more than regular members, so I will get back $40 at the end of the year?

2) Will I have to change membership to regular member to do this? Meaning, they give me the $40 as a refund for not finding Executive worthwhile, so I would need to go back to regular membership?

3) I'm not a current Costco member. Should I sign up as a Business member, then go into the store and ask for the upgrade, or just sign up as an Executive member right away?

3a) From reading the PDF form, it asks for a business license number. I don't have a registered business, but I do consult / etc (sole proprietor), so can I still sign up for Business membership? (The online form does not ask for business license, but PDF also asks for 3 pieces of business ID.)

Thanks.

1) You get 2% back for being an executive member and 1% back from AMEX. That's a total of 3% off. The money comes in two separate checks, one from Costco and the other from AMEX.

2) I went executive because it's worth it. I easily make up the difference.

3) Go executive right away.

4) I am in the same boat. I think I gave my SSN for business ID. As proof of business, I showed my business card.

rogbj said: A friend of mine just had granite countertops installed through one of their third party companies and she said the Costco price was the lowest out of any of the quotes she received from other companies.

Did they have them checked for radiation?

Guys,
I did sign up for the Costco executive membership benefits a while back but it was too expansive to keep it going , they do charge you a $100 for this service so you can receive the 2% discount. Plus there American Express i received could not get the ARP lower than 14% much more higher than all of my other credit card. If you do spend alot of money @ costco you find it a great deal because of there Cash Back.

I have a American Express Business Platinum (Cash Back) card, no annual fee:
https://www201.americanexpress.com/sbsapply/EACQServlet?request_...

It's referred to as the "SimplyCash" card.

For personal use, you can also get the Optima Platinum card (also no annual fee).

Both of these cards can tie into their Membership Rewards program, where you can earn 1 point for every dollar spent.

I refuse to pay an annual fee for any credit card. The above are all credit cards, as opposed to the due in full each month (old school style AMEX), which are really charge cards - you can charge whatever you want on those, but it's all due in full when the bill comes (i.e. they are not extending you credit). The credit cards work just like normal credit cards.

Don't believe this is the case any more circa Q4 2007. When I asked for the difference back in Dec 07, customer service clerk informed me of the policy change but he refunded me the difference anyway as a one-time courtesy. He said they have removed the "money back" wording from the in-store banner, which I did recall seeing the "money back" satisfaction guarantee when I originally signed up for exec membership.

My Dec 08 2% Exec Member Cash Back was >$50, so I did not try asking for the difference back. As always, YMMV...

sailwind said: The refund is official. It's part of their satisfaction guarantee which they will refund the executive membership cost at any time less the Cash Back you have received. See this article where people have been successful getting the difference back.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2006/11/is-costco-executive-...

The free roadside assistance is through Auto insurance with Costco Ameriprise.

Please feel free to add to the list in the wiki summary.

Skipping 41 Messages...
I decided to get the executive membership since the second person's usage is included for the 2% CB. My friends are single and don't buy enough to make it worthwhile. I was going to offer a free card on craigslist and, hopefully, get someone with a large family, but want to be sure I'm not risking anything. Seems a win/win to me. Someone else gets a free Costco card and I get 2%. Safe?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014