New OfficeMax Maxperks restrictions?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
My local OM today told me that you could no longer use Maxperks rewards to purchase giftcards (e.g. eBay, AMEX, etc.). Anybody know if this is company-wide policy, or do I just need to make the trip to another OM to redeem my rewards?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The following has been discussed over at SD:

MaxPerks Ink Recycling Changes effective Jan. 01, 2010.

- recycling limit 20 ... (more)

bpvh (Dec. 27, 2009 @ 10:16a) |

Well they probably need a little advance warning for the bulk program ending Jan 1, don't they? Looks like Staples excep... (more)

JamesTKirk (Dec. 27, 2009 @ 1:55p) |

Just got the email.

sneakers (Dec. 29, 2009 @ 7:19a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

where are you located op
Kev24 said: My local OM today told me that you could no longer use Maxperks rewards to purchase giftcards (e.g. eBay, AMEX, etc.). Anybody know if this is company-wide policy, or do I just need to make the trip to another OM to redeem my rewards?

Texas8 said: where are you located op
Kev24 said: My local OM today told me that you could no longer use Maxperks rewards to purchase giftcards (e.g. eBay, AMEX, etc.). Anybody know if this is company-wide policy, or do I just need to make the trip to another OM to redeem my rewards?

Austin, TX. Never had problems before until today...this is the store at 290 & Brodie.

Seems to be YMMV. I have two OM local to me. One will and one will not accept rewards to purchase GCs. Hoping the other doesn't change. I called the Maxperks number and asked them and was told that each store determines its own policy since they don't sell GCs over the phone.

Clearly the T&C state that you can't use the rewards to purchase OFFICE-MAX branded GCs, but says nothing about the rest. Apparently it's up to interpretation by managers, which to me means that it will only be a matter of time before one manager talks to another.

My local Office Max allows me to purchase gift cards with MaxPerks rewards.

However, my local Office Max is asking to see my ID when I do the purchase.... this means I can not buy Maxperks rewards cards on eBay and use them locally.

BradMajors said: My local Office Max allows me to purchase gift cards with MaxPerks rewards.

However, my local Office Max is asking to see my ID when I do the purchase.... this means I can not buy Maxperks rewards cards on eBay and use them locally.

Glad to know it's not necessarily a company-wide policy.

BradMajors, when you say "ID" do you mean your MaxPerks card or your photo ID?

Kev24 said: BradMajors said: My local Office Max allows me to purchase gift cards with MaxPerks rewards.

Same here,

They are now checking to make sure that your Driver's License matches the name that is printed on the rewards card. Fair enough I say, as long as they still let me purchase my GC's every month.

PharmerNate said: Kev24 said: BradMajors said: My local Office Max allows me to purchase gift cards with MaxPerks rewards.

Same here,

They are now checking to make sure that your Driver's License matches the name that is printed on the rewards card. Fair enough I say, as long as they still let me purchase my GC's every month.

Hmm...mine don't have my name on them (unless you mean the sheet it comes on).

There is NO name on the maxperks reward cards. Just ID. There used to be names but maxperks removed them. In my opinion, it's none if the employees business what you name or ID is. You are holding the maxperks card which is a GIFTCARD and you are not required to show ID to redeem by any terms of the card.. They were issued and they are meant to be redeemed, by whomever. It makes no difference. It is a violation and invasion of privacy act rights and you are entitled to remain anonymous if you desire.

NEVEREVERPAYRETAIL said: There is NO name on the maxperks reward cards. Just ID. There used to be names but maxperks removed them. In my opinion, it's none if the employees business what you name or ID is. You are holding the maxperks card which is a GIFTCARD and you are not required to show ID to redeem by any terms of the card.. They were issued and they are meant to be redeemed, by whomever. It makes no difference. It is a violation and invasion of privacy act rights and you are entitled to remain anonymous if you desire.
Rewards cards are not giftcards and Office Max rules are that you can not give the rewards cards to anyone else. While I do not like it, I don't think they are violating their rules.
From their terms and conditions:

"Rewards may not be transferred or assigned, and are not transferable upon death, as part of a domestic relations matter or otherwise by operation of law."

I never get a Rewards card, I bring in the sheet (with my name on) and spend the entire amount in one visit.

BradMajors said: NEVEREVERPAYRETAIL said: There is NO name on the maxperks reward cards. Just ID. There used to be names but maxperks removed them. In my opinion, it's none if the employees business what you name or ID is. You are holding the maxperks card which is a GIFTCARD and you are not required to show ID to redeem by any terms of the card.. They were issued and they are meant to be redeemed, by whomever. It makes no difference. It is a violation and invasion of privacy act rights and you are entitled to remain anonymous if you desire.
Rewards cards are not giftcards and Office Max rules are that you can not give the rewards cards to anyone else. While I do not like it, I don't think they are violating their rules.

"Rewards may not be transferred or assigned, and are not transferable upon death, as part of a domestic relations matter or otherwise by operation of law."

I never get a Rewards card, I bring in the sheet (with my name on) and spend the entire amount in one visit.

Bingo! Their Rewards Card...their rules!

There are LOTS of people "abusing" the system with MANY MANY (MANY MANY) accounts as you can tell from people selling multiple RCs on eEbay. I'm sure most of us here don't go through the 10 carts per week we recycle, but I think and I'm sure these rules are made to catch the people who buy/sell many RCs monthly. (Not trying to justify or get into an ethical argument here.)

I come in once weekly to recycle my carts w/ the ol' lady, and once a month to spend my RC. I came in last month (or maybe March) with her RC in hand but they nixed it after asking for ID....first time they ever did. They know we come in together weekly so they made an exception, but I was told that they are going to start asking for IDs and would make no further exceptions.

BTW....not even transferable upon death? Damn...that's harsh OM!

PharmerNate said: BradMajors said: NEVEREVERPAYRETAIL said: There is NO name on the maxperks reward cards. Just ID. There used to be names but maxperks removed them. In my opinion, it's none if the employees business what you name or ID is. You are holding the maxperks card which is a GIFTCARD and you are not required to show ID to redeem by any terms of the card.. They were issued and they are meant to be redeemed, by whomever. It makes no difference. It is a violation and invasion of privacy act rights and you are entitled to remain anonymous if you desire.

Bingo! Their Rewards Card...their rules!

There are LOTS of people "abusing" the system with MANY MANY (MANY MANY) accounts as you can tell from people selling multiple RCs on eEbay. I'm sure most of us here don't go through the 10 carts per week we recycle, but I think and I'm sure these rules are made to catch the people who buy/sell many RCs monthly. (Not trying to justify or get into an ethical argument here.)

I come in once weekly to recycle my carts w/ the ol' lady, and once a month to spend my RC. I came in last month (or maybe March) with her RC in hand but they nixed it after asking for ID....first time they ever did. They know we come in together weekly so they made an exception, but I was told that they are going to start asking for IDs and would make no further exceptions.

BTW....not even transferable upon death? Damn...that's harsh OM!

WRONG!. There are federal and state privacy laws to protect consumers from a violation of their right to privacy and identity theft. Who is to say that they shady employee behind the counter is not going to steal your name and address and do something illegal with it? PLLLUUUUEEEASE. They have NO RIGHT to ask for your ID and by the way, when you recycle ink cartridges, the money that is credited to you is YOURS and not theirs to decide if you get it or not. When you give then something for a promised something in return, that is a legal binding contract and they cannot just make up their own rules to suit themselves and deny you use legal right to use what is legally yours. Otherwise it is THEFT.

I can't believe how many people in the world are just so stupid and ignorant to just stand there and accept the nonsense garbage they make up out their a$$ and say...duh uhh uhh OK!

98% of people in this world have not gone through natural selection. Oh hey look...everyone is jumping off a bridge.......I guess we should too!

In addition, ANYONE can use them online or over the phone so it makes no difference.

My local OM (Brooklyn, NY) hasn't allowed me to do this since October 08. That's why I've sold them on eBay.

One of my multiple accounts got disabled because I was selling the rewards on eBay.

BradMajors said: NEVEREVERPAYRETAIL said: There is NO name on the maxperks reward cards. Just ID. There used to be names but maxperks removed them. In my opinion, it's none if the employees business what you name or ID is. You are holding the maxperks card which is a GIFTCARD and you are not required to show ID to redeem by any terms of the card.. They were issued and they are meant to be redeemed, by whomever. It makes no difference. It is a violation and invasion of privacy act rights and you are entitled to remain anonymous if you desire.

Who said anything about giving it to anyone else or being transferable? NOT ME

QueensFinest said: My local OM (Brooklyn, NY) hasn't allowed me to do this since October 08. That's why I've sold them on eBay.

One of my multiple accounts got disabled because I was selling the rewards on eBay.

Well, if you are selling them on eBay then you are just asking for trouble. It is one thing to actually use them in store, phone or online for things you can then resell legit and it is another thing to sell the rewards card on eBay. NOT SMART. Of course they can track that if some OTHER IDIOT goes to use it and doesn't know how to be smart. You are relying on the general population of buffalo with an average IQ of less than 90. DUHHH urrrr Duurrr

it's really a major ymmv. just depends who's at the register. I go to two stores and in both stores some employees will and some employees wont let!

I think they have new policy,In Orlando and Miami, Fl now they are checking the expiration date on the ink tanks, cartg. Is this national thing?

phd2010 said: I think they have new policy,In Orlando and Miami, Fl now they are checking the expiration date on the ink tanks, cartg. Is this national thing?

yep, it's national. but YMMV on the employee actually checking the dates.

andywanker said: phd2010 said: I think they have new policy,In Orlando and Miami, Fl now they are checking the expiration date on the ink tanks, cartg. Is this national thing?

yep, it's national. but YMMV on the employee actually checking the dates.

So, they won't take cartridges that are past the expiration date? That will really complicate things. Haven't seen this at my store yet.

phd2010 said: I think they have new policy,In Orlando and Miami, Fl now they are checking the expiration date on the ink tanks, cartg. Is this national thing?

i had a crazy experiance similar to what you are describing this week. they wouldn't take my inks because it had some sticker on the side with a string of numbers and letters starting with mex...(not expiration date) they told me that they weren't being reimbursed on those so they couldn't accept it. i asked exactly what was the problem and what it could or could not say, and they had no clue! they said they were hazy on it and just didn't want to get in trouble so didn't want to take back my cartridges until their manager (not there of course) approved it. went back when the bitchy employee wasnt there and had no problem.

did i mention to say those little stickers peel off quite nicely!

just checked over at sd and they say that Office Max changed their ink recycling effective 05/10/09

They would, now only accept if the expiration date was from 2009 or later.

They said that their new policy that took effect on 05/10/09th.

They also said if the cart was broken, cracked, or leaking, they would not accept it..
According to the cashiers, Office Max has NOT been receiving full credits from HP, for the ink carts that they sent to HP. So Office Max has cracked down, on what carts they will accept from customer, and then send to HP.

As someone who recently purchased a Maxperks card on eBay after reading this tread, is it possible to use the card in-store without penalty, or is it best to just resell it?

coolwhs said: As someone who recently purchased a Maxperks card on eBay after reading this tread, is it possible to use the card in-store without penalty, or is it best to just resell it?

If you pay in cash and dont use your own rewards card at checkout, i wouldnt be overly concerned since they wont have your name or info anywhere. (the seller on the other hand...)

Sweet, cash is doable, thanks. I've been looking at the sale on the #10 envelopes, and I wanted to get a little extra off of the $5 per 500 price.

crazypalooza said: coolwhs said: As someone who recently purchased a Maxperks card on eBay after reading this tread, is it possible to use the card in-store without penalty, or is it best to just resell it?

If you pay in cash and dont use your own rewards card at checkout, i wouldnt be overly concerned since they wont have your name or info anywhere. (the seller on the other hand...)

I've considered this but paranoid they will be cracking down even more and tracking the transaction's location and seeing hey the guys maxperks address is in New York but look his rewards are being used in Florida and California. Thankfully my OfficeMax never checks the cartridges (at least not yet) and so far no harassing for buying a gift card. I guess I will see when I redeem my card this week.

Kev24 said: My local OM today told me that you could no longer use Maxperks rewards to purchase giftcards (e.g. eBay, AMEX, etc.). Anybody know if this is company-wide policy, or do I just need to make the trip to another OM to redeem my rewards?Was able to buy a $100 (with $5.95 activation fee) VISA "The Ideal Gift" debit card with the May 2009 ink rewards that were just made available this week.

After buying at least a dozen gift cards using my MaxPerks rewards, today at my local store I was told I could not purchase a gift card. I was told it was MaxPerks corporate policy. (which of course it isn't).

I have contacted MaxPerks and they said that rewards can be used to buy gift cards.

I spoke with my local store manager who gave me a heads up for the coming months with Maxperks. That probably in August, you will no longer be able to purchase GC with your rewards. I expect that a few more rules will be implemented with the rewards.

Went in today and couldn't by a gift card (boo!). Cashier said the policy went into effect 7/13/2009 so I walked out. Not sure what to get right now. Could save for some back to school special or I could buy something to resell. Any suggestions? My store still has yet to check the empties I turn in so crossing my fingers things don't become more strict. This no gift card policy...well I think we all could have seen it coming.

Called customer service, a young fellow explained that rewards have an expiration date, whereas giftcards do not. Therefore purchasing a GC would allow you to go beyond the exp. date which circumvents the rewards card value of time. To stop that from happening, OM decides no more GC. I trully see it as an effort for OM to keep purchases and flow of money within their enterprise.

Did some digging, calling, and emailing customer service. It seems like as of now, you may still be able to purchase giftcards with your maxperk reward. I have emailed customer service to provide me in writing, what cards (if any) I can purchase with the rewards. As of now, we as customers are going of the word of the store associates who are being told no by their managers. Once I have the word, I will pass on word to you all. What I have learned in earning my Masters is that, without effort, there is no reward. Enjoy your weekend.

I called customer service this week. The policy that went into effect July 13th is for cards that are issued when a person uses the warranty service. They are Office Max merchandise credit cards. I asked them to specifically what I can use the perks rewards for. They said anything in the store But an Office Max gift card. I said, so I can buy a movie or gift card and they said absolutley. I asked if I could buy a computer and they said absolutely, they are my rewards and I earned them. One store near us gives me a hassle, one a small town away does not. I asked the rep what to do if I was given a hassle and she told me to have them call customer service with me standing there. I did ask her to email me the policy and she said that she was unable to do that but the store can call them for clarification. I stopped by the store that gives me a hassle yesterday and asked them to call and clear it up that I have some rewards to use.

I tried to purchase a gift card with my rewards today and I was denied, the clerk pointed to a new policy on the cash register which said that merchandise cards can not be used to purchase gift cards as of July 13th. I said rewards are not a merchandise card, the clerk said that they are. He said watch... and entered my rewards card number which the register accepted for the purchase. He said that should not have happened.

pmeier said: I called customer service this week. The policy that went into effect July 13th is for cards that are issued when a person uses the warranty service. They are Office Max merchandise credit cards. I asked them to specifically what I can use the perks rewards for. They said anything in the store But an Office Max gift card. I said, so I can buy a movie or gift card and they said absolutley. I asked if I could buy a computer and they said absolutely, they are my rewards and I earned them. One store near us gives me a hassle, one a small town away does not. I asked the rep what to do if I was given a hassle and she told me to have them call customer service with me standing there. I did ask her to email me the policy and she said that she was unable to do that but the store can call them for clarification. I stopped by the store that gives me a hassle yesterday and asked them to call and clear it up that I have some rewards to use.
When you asked the store to call, did it work?

I email maxperks customer service, and they said that the rewards can be used. Printed a copy of the email, and took it to the store as evidence. Also had the maxperks customer service number handy. I have been told atleast 6 to 8 times that it can be used to purchase cards. That was for the month of july, no clue about this month though. We'll see.

tenekram said: I email maxperks customer service, and they said that the rewards can be used. Printed a copy of the email, and took it to the store as evidence. Also had the maxperks customer service number handy. I have been told atleast 6 to 8 times that it can be used to purchase cards. That was for the month of july, no clue about this month though. We'll see.

What happened this month? I would really like to purchase a few eBay gift cards.

Any updates on this? Last time I was at OM I was able to get a (non-OM) gift card. Granted that was probably June-ish.

There are more stores saying no, than yes in my area. I emailed customer service a few days ago, and the representative stated that I can purchase gift cards. However, once I get to the store, they say "oh no, you can't purchase this according to the policy that was issued on 13 July 09 that merchandise cards are not authorized to purchase gift cards." There are two conflicting answers, and of course I prefer the customer service answer. Well, I am not going to argue with the store associates, I did one time, I came out on top because I had proof stating that I could purchase giftcards, however the manager was not happy when he conctacted customer service to verify my proof, and handed me the cards. Anyway, this is what I would do, email maxperks rewards customer service and ask the question "Am I able to purchase gift cards" print out the response and take it to the store, that should work for you. I on the other hand, have an alternative method. I will keep you informed of my progress.
Oh, by the way, I was able to get gift cards this month, but that was after calling different stores. If I hve any spllng mstkes, pleese 4give me.

Sorry for any grammar errors.

Skipping 10 Messages...
Just got the email.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014