Anyone used Costco for carpet?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Wondering if their business model works like HD (excessive markup, so-so quality, basically a ripoff). We have about 130 SY to carpet and I have priced the material direct from the wholesaler (I am in the Atlanta area so we have Dalton here) plus an installer who says he'll do it for $4/SY plus about $100 in additional charges (furniture, stairs, etc). The only thing is I'm not sure about the installer's quality, and having been burned by some contractors earlier this year am a little wary of that.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

What does the installer tell you in writing about his warranty?
Is he licensed, bonded, insured?
What do is references say?
Is your question about Costco's price or the installer's quality?

For 86 sq yds, 15 steps, 1 bdroom move and ripup (I ripup and move the rest), HD wants $2100 for 58 oz carpet and 8 lb pad. Is that high?

KACKI said: Wondering if their business model works like HD (excessive markup, so-so quality, basically a ripoff). We have about 130 SY to carpet and I have priced the material direct from the wholesaler (I am in the Atlanta area so we have Dalton here) plus an installer who says he'll do it for $4/SY plus about $100 in additional charges (furniture, stairs, etc). The only thing is I'm not sure about the installer's quality, and having been burned by some contractors earlier this year am a little wary of that.

A friend of mine got Costco carpet on their entire second floor. I can't comment on price, but the quality of the carpet itself is pretty good.

Just got my carpet installed through COSTCO. For 1311 sq. feet, I paid $6306 for the carpet and pad, $1193 for installation and an addition of $101 for stairs (14 steps) and $109 for binding. So the total cost is $8024. I am happy with the carpet but thought the installation charge is a bit high. Any comments? (Our house is completely empty so there is no moving furniture and we also have the old carpet removed and hauled away ourselves.)

It's very hard to say if that price is high or low since it depends so much on the type of carpet installed. The price range of carpet is huge, from as low as $1/sq-ft to over $10/sq-ft. For "good" quality carpet it sounds like the price you paid is about average. Also, the total cost is what matters most. Many carpet places hide the install cost in the carpet cost and offer "free install". So basically they just mark up the cost of the carpet to cover the cost of the install. Actually this is the worst way to go since you end up paying more since you have to pay tax on a larger amount. We found that we got a lower overall cost at places that discount the carpet more but charge a fair price for install.

We purchased carpet from Costco a few years ago, so I can't quote the area, pricing, etc. Can stay that it has held up well, quality is quite good, and I believe the price was very competitive.
One of the main reasons to go through Costco is service, support, as they stand behind everything. In our case, a third party designer came to the house with samples, took all of the measurements as well as our order. Not sure who was at fault, but there was not enough material to complete a walk-in closet, but the installer assured they would return shortly to complete the job. We called the designer, who also assured us it would be resolved. After a couple of weeks, we made one more call, still assurances, but no firm date. Rather than continuing to chase them, we simply contested the charge with the credit card company (placed with Costco), which resulted in a barrage of apologetic calls from Costco, the designer and the installer. We ended up with a discount, and a firm date when the job would be completed - which was met.

i have their rug. its really good. most of the stuff there is pretty good. I mean nothing to really complain about. Quality is always above typical.

Lowes (and I presume HF) is back with the $39 whole house install special for stainmaster carpet) . I wonder how the total compares to Costco for a 1000 sq ft job .

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014