Do you tip a Lowe's delivery guy?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
We are having our washer and dryer delivered next week.

Are we supposed to tip? How much?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There are some that $5-$20 tip for big item deliveries unless they damaged your home in the process.

http://www.brambletonian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5750

It depends on the type of delivery. If they just drop it off at the curb (curbside delivery), then no tip. If they bring it into my house and to the place where I want it in the house, then I usually tip $20.

The Lowes guys will take your washer and dryer and place them where you want them in your home.
If you paid for installation, they will hook them up. If you had old washer and dryer, they will remove them for you.

Check for scratches and dents on new the units while they are there.

Then you should be good to using your new washer and dryer.

While I realize I will get red but I think we have created a society where everyone thinks they should get tipped.

I understand wait staff work on tips so I give usually 20%. Now delivery guys I believe get paid based on deliveries or hourly rate. Do you tip your UPS guy when he delivers a packcage? If I have to pay a company for delivery and setup shouldn't that be enough why do I then have to pay more to tip a guy. If he is underpaid that is between him and the company I shouldn't have to bridge the gap.

All I know is at work when I finish a project and give it to my boss I dont get a tip.

I hate when a delivery guys awkwardly hangs around waiting for a tip. I had some landscape materials delivered and the guy dumped a pile of rock in my driveway and hung around looking like a sad puppy for a few minutes. I would have tipped him, but paid the company $80 to drive the rock to my house that is 4 miles away.

My tip would be don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out I agree with the comment above that we have become too "tip happy". Dang, I am paid by the day, and if I stay over to get a project done, I don't see (or expect) a bonus on my paycheck. Lemme tell ya, a delivery kid from Lowes probably makes more than I do. The delivery people for companies like Lowes/HD/furniture stores don't have their wages adjusted due to tipping being the accepted norm - they are paid what they earn from their employer. Delivery is not a minimum wage job.

I should add that delivery in the food service is another matter. We tip the pizza delivery kid out of fear that the next pizza will have extra ingredients added to it (ick!)

If it's hot out, give him a coke. No money.

MrBigDawg said: If it's hot out, give him a coke. No money.

Thats what I do. I always offer them a drink. I also make sure its in a sealed container, there is nothing grosser then drinking from a strangers glass.

Skulles said: there is nothing grosser then drinking from a strangers glass.

i take it that you have never been to a restaurant before...

Why tip them they are more than likely casing your house/belongings/wife/kids.

wc2007 said: Skulles said: there is nothing grosser then drinking from a strangers glass.

i take it that you have never been to a restaurant before...

LOL, so true! Restaurants are dirty...worse is at a buffet.

Rtrain82 said: While I realize I will get red but I think we have created a society where everyone thinks they should get tipped.

I understand wait staff work on tips so I give usually 20%. Now delivery guys I believe get paid based on deliveries or hourly rate. Do you tip your UPS guy when he delivers a packcage? If I have to pay a company for delivery and setup shouldn't that be enough why do I then have to pay more to tip a guy. If he is underpaid that is between him and the company I shouldn't have to bridge the gap.

All I know is at work when I finish a project and give it to my boss I dont get a tip.

You know dude, I totally agree with you... why should we pay the tip when we already have paid for Delivery/installation to the company. Now I won't feel bad at all as I see other people do share my thoughts.

Delivery contractors came back after delivering kitchen stuff and broke into my car and stole our camera while they were there. Turns out they were drug addicts and lied during background check.

Sucks. By the time we found out all the facts, too long to do anything.

BTW, they do case the house, wife, etc.

They hit on me like I was the last woman on earth.

I'd only tip if they brought the (heavy) stuff into my property where I want it. usually stuff like lumber or bulk item deliveries are curbside only (explicitly written on delivery contract) so if they go the extra mile then a tip might be deserving.

Tip 'em. $5 each should be enough. If they're bringing in multiple items and following your directions on where to put the stuff then consider $10. Only cheapskates don't tip, and lord knows there are too many of them around already.

Here's how to tell a cheapskate: ask what they tip at restaurants. If they say 15%, maybe a little more for outstanding service, then they're OK. If they regularly leave less then they're cheapskates. In New York we know about these things. No offense to all the hicks out there.

That's not a way to tell if someone is cheap, that's only a way to tell how old they are. Up until the 80s, 10% was "normal tip." In big cities, 15% became normal faster, and by now it is expected even in rural places. Even though the price of food has shot up in the big cities, making tips higher, some people are trying to say that in a city 20% should now be the normal tip. I assume those people just don't understand the math behind ratios.

Someone who grew up long ago and learned to tip then is not going to notice that things have changed unless someone tells them. If you have dinner with an older friend, instead of judging them for leaving a low tip, just explain to them the current trend.

Yes straight away
Hand them a Coke and 5 each at arrival
Tip to insure proper service

To
Insure
Prompt
Service

Well just my thoughs on this, I know a lot of people see it as "I paid the company for delivery and haul away already" why tip? Thing is you paid the COMPANY the drivers don't see any extra dime from those charges lowes drivers make hour pay, not paid per stop like some companys.it doesn't matter if you have a screen door or a 29 cubic ft. Fridge delivered it all pays the same to them. And the way I see it its up to you but in my mind, knowing how they are paid out, anywhere from $5 to $10 to each employee is a fair tip in my mind. But again just my thoughts and thought I would clear up the whole paid per stop or paid hourly thing

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014