• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
100% Thanks, To Crazyles For The Info.

Use Costco Pharmacy for your pet meds. Save up to 88%
This should work on many medications that are used for people and pets.

My 18 year old cat Spot is taking 2 Methimazole 5 Mg Tabs twice a day for his hyperthyroid. That works out to 120 pills a month.

My vet was selling me the pills for $1.00 a piece which works out to $120 a month.

I then checked a 1800PetMeds. They charge about $0.40 a pill, using a 20% discount code, which works out to be $48 for the month. To get free shipping, which applies to any order over $50, I had to order 2 months.

I then checked at Costco. They charged $0.26 a pill. They also have FREE Pet Insurance for Costco members for medication which dropped the price down to $0.24 a pill. You fill out a short form at the pharmacy window when you drop off the prescription and enter you membership number to get the discount. It took me 5 minutes to complete the form. On top of all that they stocked a 10 Mg Tab which reduced the number of pills I needed by half and made the monthly total $14.40 which works out to a 88% saving.
Petmeds only had the 5 Mg Tab.

You can check the meds prices at Costco website [costco.com]. These prices do not include the Free Pet Insurance discount. You will have to check with your local Costco for the discount price.

FYI
This might work for other discount pharmacy like WalMart. I did not check because I dont have a WalMart near my home but it would be cool to get them for $4 bucks.

The next time your pet requires medication have your vet write a prescription and then shop around for the best price.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Those are good prices, but your vet was ripping you off. When I had to get those same pills for one of my cats, it was $30 + postage for 100 pills over the internet, or $35 for 100 pills at my vet. I ended up going to the vet.

This is assuming that your vet will write a prescription for you. Many won't.

Any vet that wouldn't write a prescription for me is a former vet!! And I might even consider filing a complaint with the vetrenary board. I pay for my dog to be diagnosed and prescribed what he needs to be healthy. If his services are competetive for toothpaste or medicine I will buy them from him. Or another source if I view the quality as equal and thats the thing I usually think that even if I have to pay a little more its better to get them from your Vet.

That said I'm still nervous about buying pet medications on the internet because I do know my vet stores meds at appropriate temps (as opposed to some warehouse in the middle of summer which can degrade the effectiveness of meds) I'm also leary of grey market meds for pets (or people for that matter. Costco wouldnt however fall into that category I would feel comfortable getting meds from them for the pooch especially a long term matinence drug.

Also Vets are some of the lowest paid health professionals that often need to find alternate sources of income (meds food etc..) to help cover overhead and make a decent living.

ThePessimist said: This is assuming that your vet will write a prescription for you. Many won't.

Check your local laws as they may be required to give you a written prescription depending on your state. I think I saw some info on 1800PetMeds too.

I'm gonna check out Costco when I go tomorrow.

FYI....methimazole is a 'people' medication that is also used in pets..They usually don't carry just pet medications. YMMV. Good find nevertheless.

Wow, crazy. Got the same med from Costco for about $1.20 a pill for HUMAN use. Nice to know how they charge less for pets. (sigh)

JassieB said: Wow, crazy. Got the same med from Costco for about $1.20 a pill for HUMAN use. Nice to know how they charge less for pets. (sigh)

Can you take your prescriotion (for yourself) and get it filled at the pet meds online places?

I had a very sick dog that required a lot of expensive meds. While shopping around is always the best answer, I found that going to costco saved me hundreds of dollars. I had to buy an IV from my vey for $12 per bag. I found out that costco has them for $6! A 50% savings. I did have to buy awhole box which cost me a total of $39. Overall well worth it. My vet filled the prescription with no issues. They wouldn't fax it over for some reason, I had to pick it up in person.

Thanks OP for this info. I was nor aware that Costco offered a free pet insurance.

I would expand on this idea further. When one has to get a script filled, either for a pet or human, and they do not have insurance coverage, call around first before having the script filled.

I had a coupon for safeway for a $30 giftcard with a script transferred from another pharmacy. I have been paying $23.99-27.99 at Target for this script. safeway wants $52.99 for exact same script. A local chain of pharmacy/discount stores wants $9.39, and a local pharmacy wants $9.85. Costco charges $11.95. Target also offered to match any price except Costco, since the Costco pharmacy will not give prices over the phone to other pharmacies.

What I do now is, I have created a spreadsheet with pharmacy phone numbers. I have very few prescriptions. When I need a new one, I sit down and call each pharmacy, enter the price into the spreadsheet, and then make a decision based on price, location, etc.

Also, you can go on Costco's website and look up some script prices. If you use their mail order service, prices can be even cheaper.

Great Post OP, another place to visit is Target. Look on their website as many of the $4 generics are meds that pets use for alot of infections/illnesses. My Dogs recently needed medicine and I looked them up at Target (from a friends recommendation) they were indeed on their, I let my vet know and they even called it into target for me. Target even has a checkbox for "Pet" when you sign them up.

Great post! Careful about dosages some human dosages are very different than animal. If it works fo you great!

will costco pharmacies fill custom prescriptions? i know compounding pharmacies are rare, but this would be a huge win if they did ...

henare said: will costco pharmacies fill custom prescriptions? i know compounding pharmacies are rare, but this would be a huge win if they did ...

I don't know but given how rare compounding pharmacies are, I'd assume not.

henare said: will costco pharmacies fill custom prescriptions? i know compounding pharmacies are rare, but this would be a huge win if they did ...

Please check with your local Costco if they will do compounding. I highly doubt it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014