• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
rated:
I am interested in a vehicle I saw advertised in the LA Times by Hertz Rent2Buy. Since then, I have been researching this program and think it is interesting. I am posting here as I think others may be interested and I would also like to hear if anyone has had an experience with this program.

Basic Premise: Hertz sells late model rental cars to the public at roughly the same price they are getting at auction to avoid transportation & auction fees. The customer rents the car for $49/day for 3 days to test the car before buying. During those 3 days you can inspect the car, etc.

The prices are quite competitive and are "firm" from what everyone tells me. There doesn't seem to be any room to negotiate and if anyone has been able to negotiate I am curious how they went about it.

I am picking up the car tomorrow morning and I will update this thread as I go through this experience with my thoughts and ideas in case anyone else is interested.

Link

A few of the downsides of this program are that you're buying an ex-rental car which has likely been driven rougher than average. Many of the cars are rather new but have a lot of miles for their age. On the other hand, I take some comfort in the fact that the routine maintenance has been performed regularly and many are still under factory warranty.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Good ending 10.12.12 as the car became available for pickup after sales supervisor sally made some more calls.

Sally & S... (more)

diving (Oct. 12, 2012 @ 10:36p) |

Brickhouse, Thanks for sharing your experience. the promo and coupon you used are awesome. I could not find them online.... (more)

blackaccord (Oct. 14, 2012 @ 2:28a) |

What ever you do NEVER take out additional insurance, or ANY Extras when renting to buy from Hertz. The have charged my ... (more)

antikimlang (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 1:37p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Very interesting, let us know how it goes. The prices look a little on the high side to me, but the three day test drive offer is great.

Haven't used rent2buy but I've bought Hertz rental cars before and never had issue, even with a recent one just 2 years ago. They have the service records available so you can avoid taking a car that has had nagging check engine lights reported (and you KNOW that the renters will report something like this). The depreciation hit has been absorbed so it's very satisfying taking a one year old car off the lot like this.

An update - we picked up the car which was at a location about an hour away from us. We liked the car (and the price) so much that we decided to drive it around town for an hour and make our decision quickly to avoid driving back and forth. We took it to a local Firestone and paid the $20 for a vehicle inspection. I was most interested in the brakes and tires as everything else was still under OEM warranty.

Brakes checked out at 70% left and tires had recently been replaced with 80% tread remaining. Car had some cosmetic scratches but no dings and we are going to get it detailed Monday.

This is a new program, although Hertz car sales has been around for a long time. With the Rent2Buy program you buy the car AS-IS with no 1 year/12,000 mile warranty that they offer on retail car sales. The pricing is non-negotiable (at least I couldn't get them to budge on it) although in my case the vehicle was priced at average trade-in value based on the NADA black book, which was a great price in my area.

Apparently in most states you can rent the car for 3 days, then if you decide you like it, you go online and print out the documents, fax them in and wire the money and you can do the transaction completely remotely. However, in CA I was not able to do this due to local laws and everything had to be finalized in person.

Overall, I didn't take full advantage of the 3 day test period, however, I think this could be a hassle-free way to buy a car if you can get over a few of the downsides (higher miles, cosmetic issues, etc.)

Good deal, glad it worked out. What kind of car did you get?

I'm a little leery because I know how a majority of people drive rentals. Just a few weeks ago I rented two Ford Fusion V6 models back to back, with almost the same mileage. The first one drove like a dream and was very peppy, the second was squirrely on the highway and ran very rough at higher RPM. I'd buy the first but not the second, as it clearly had been run very hard.

Interesting thread, I was wondering how the Rent2Buy program was. I bought my car from Hertz Car Sales (before Rent2Buy existed) @ 12 months old w/ 14K miles. Great car, obviously didn't need the warranty since it still had two years of the factory warranty remaining - but they did touch up all the scratches, removed dents, and repainted the bumpers. The back bumper will invariably get scratched up due to people lugging their suitcases in and out of the trunk.

The only problem I forsee is that most of the rental cars are never waxed/polished so the paint might not be in the best shape. That said, if the car is only a year or two old I think regular washing and waxing will bring it back to showroom condition just fine. My car looks wayyy better than when I bought it since I detail it every week when I have time.

I might use this program in a few months. Considering that I would only keep the car 3-4 years, I'm not too concerned about the paint or other minor cosmetic problems. I found some good buy's on the Chevy Malibu, not a big fan of that car, but for the price, it will do the job.

Thanks for the information.

Are all their cars really from their rental fleet? Because about ten years ago, Budget started to heavily advertise their used car sales operation, with William Shatner as its spokesman, and it turned out that most of their offerings were regular used cars bought from auctions. I believe Hertz turned out to sell mostly auction cars, too.

larrymoencurly said: Are all their cars really from their rental fleet? Because about ten years ago, Budget started to heavily advertise their used car sales operation, with William Shatner as its spokesman, and it turned out that most of their offerings were regular used cars bought from auctions. I believe Hertz turned out to sell mostly auction cars, too.

These are actually cars from the rental fleet. You rent them from a corporate owned Hertz location to test it out. When I bought my car a couple of years ago, it still had the Hertz barcodes.. Enterprise takes trade-ins so I assume not all of their cars are from their fleet.

There are definitely some good deals to be had with Hertz. Their website showed an '09 Corolla LE as the "last car sold" and I think it was only $13.7K with under 30K miles.

Interesting.
How do the Mazda 5 fare in the used car market? Wanted to buy this car new - but not many available in the dealership. Find below a Mazda 5 quote from Hertzrent2buy.com

MAZDA 5 TRNG 2008 for $13,800

We are buying Sienna from Rent2Buy. The vehicle seems to be really good for its price. The purchasing process is quite time consuming. My vehicle purchasing process is still going on for over one week.

@torajm: Initially we were looking for Mazda5. The delarers in our area are ready offer the new 2009 sport model for little over $15k. We inclined towards new one than 08 Touring from Rent2Buy. But after test driving Mazda5 and Sienna, my family chose Sienna. IMO both Sienna and Mazda5 are excellent vehicles in their categories.

torajm said: Interesting.
How do the Mazda 5 fare in the used car market? Wanted to buy this car new - but not many available in the dealership. Find below a Mazda 5 quote from Hertzrent2buy.com

MAZDA 5 TRNG 2008 for $13,800


$13.8K sounds like a good price. Of course, you'll want to do some research on Edmunds - and if you're serious, see about negotiating with the dealership on a new '09.

I had a brief stint with an '08 Mazda 5 but it had 30K WELL USED miles on it. The suspension was creaking and the tires were approaching the tread wear indicator line, so I had to exchange it for another rental. It seems like a nice car though. Not as big as a minivan, but it had nice perks like 17" alloys, a sunroof, CD changer, and side airbags. The 2.3L I4 is rather peppy to boot.

PhaniY said: @torajm: Initially we were looking for Mazda5. The delarers in our area are ready offer the new 2009 sport model for little over $15k. We inclined towards new one than 08 Touring from Rent2Buy. But after test driving Mazda5 and Sienna, my family chose Sienna. IMO both Sienna and Mazda5 are excellent vehicles in their categories.

The Sienna is an excellent minivan, though it commands a price premium. You might want to do some research on the VVT-i oil line leak - the 3.5L V6 has problems with it breaking/rupturing; Toyota has corrected this beginning with '09 models.

I've bought two cars from Hertz with no regrets and am thinking about one more. But their sales locations are now "independently owned and operated." That suggests that they're just used car dealers with a license to display a "Hertz" sign. That would be a far cry from the old scheme, where you were dealing with Hertz Inc and buying year-old cars with maintenance records and a low-pressure interface.

The fact that Hertz itself is offering a new "rent to buy" scheme also suggests that's now the only way to buy a Hertz rental car from Hertz.

Has anyone had a chat with one of the independent dealers to confirm/deny the above? And for those who've done the Rent To Buy, do you get to see the maintenance records?

The location I bought my car from is still corporate owned. I'm pretty sure the "independently owned and operated" Hertz licensee locations are just as you described - a used car lot that pays Hertz to use their name. I wouldn't buy from one of those. As far as the Rent2Buy, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to see the service records. In fact, that's a selling point since many private owners can't be bothered to keep records the way rental companies do.

Oddly, my local Hertz Rent2Buy doesn't have any Camrys for sale right now cause they usually have a ton of 'em. They do have a bunch of Corvettes though! I glanced through their listings and I like the 2008 Mazda 6i for $13K w/ 21K miles.. If I needed a new car right now, I would like to say I'd buy a fully loaded 2010 Legacy but for literally half the price, I could get a very decent car. My own ex-Hertz rental has been exceptionally reliable so thankfully I should be set for a while. My battery is passing the 5yr mark next month (original Panasonic OEM from Japan, too bad Toyota doesn't sell it in the US!) and I'll probably replace it soon as a precaution. I'd rather not push my luck

Bought a car from Hertz Rent to Buy and paid in full Oct.2 including Mass.sales tax and $198.00 "processing fee." Fee was to cover obtaining title,registration and license plates. It is now Oct.26 and car has been parked in my driveway unable to be used due to lack of reg. and plates. The paper work involved has been horrendous requiring many phone calls,having forms notarized,and three overnight Fedex mailings(pd.for by Hertz). Car purchased was a 2008 Hyundai and their warranty does NOT tranfer to former rental vehicles.Hertz offers a 60 day 2500 mile warranty on vehicle but in this case almost 30 days have been used up with the car sitting in driveway. Even though price was good I would never use Rent to Buy again.

BostonDan said: Bought a car from Hertz Rent to Buy and paid in full Oct.2 including Mass.sales tax and $198.00 "processing fee." Fee was to cover obtaining title,registration and license plates. It is now Oct.26 and car has been parked in my driveway unable to be used due to lack of reg. and plates. The paper work involved has been horrendous requiring many phone calls,having forms notarized,and three overnight Fedex mailings(pd.for by Hertz). Car purchased was a 2008 Hyundai and their warranty does NOT tranfer to former rental vehicles.Hertz offers a 60 day 2500 mile warranty on vehicle but in this case almost 30 days have been used up with the car sitting in driveway. Even though price was good I would never use Rent to Buy again.
Thanks for the interesting post. Since it can't be the first car they've sold, and the process can't *always* be so troublesome, do you have any idea what's gone wrong? [It's interesting that in Massachusetts you can't drive a used car without paperwork - here in CA you pay the bucks and drive away, notifying state of new owner is pretty much optional (not to say it's not important, but mostly to the seller to disassociate himself with the vehicle.)]

BostonDan said: Bought a car from Hertz Rent to Buy and paid in full Oct.2 including Mass.sales tax and $198.00 "processing fee." Fee was to cover obtaining title,registration and license plates. It is now Oct.26 and car has been parked in my driveway unable to be used due to lack of reg. and plates. The paper work involved has been horrendous requiring many phone calls,having forms notarized,and three overnight Fedex mailings(pd.for by Hertz). Car purchased was a 2008 Hyundai and their warranty does NOT tranfer to former rental vehicles.Hertz offers a 60 day 2500 mile warranty on vehicle but in this case almost 30 days have been used up with the car sitting in driveway. Even though price was good I would never use Rent to Buy again.

Ouch. The doc fee is up to $198? Their low $98 doc fee was touted on their signage when I bought my car from them a few years ago. Guess they jumped on the bandwagon and figured it's just easy money.

Have you called Hyundai and given them your VIN to check the warranty status? Apparently the 10yr/100K mile powertrain warranty is non-transferrable (so even if you bought it from a private party, you'd be in the same situation) - but the 5yr/60K mile bumper to bumper warranty is still applicable.

Did you finance the car or..? When I picked up my car they just wanted the check and proof of insurance. I drove off and received the new registration and title in the mail the following week. They did use a local company to do the title transfer though, so I can see where the lack of consistency will cause problems for some people.

Did not finance purchase. I think the problems I had were due to having to communicate and do paperwork with remote locations. Auto purchase was handled from Hertz in Oklahoma and registration,title,etc. was handled for Hertz by a company called ABS Auto services in Tennesee.All the people that I dealt with on the phone were polite and professional. The problems were due to the logistics more than anything. Received all paperwork on Oct.30 and auto is now on the road. Hyundai's Warranty states that neither the 5 or 10 year warranty is transferrable if auto was previously a rental vehicle. I understand that the Rent to Buy program is relatively new maybe they can work the bugs out.

BostonDan said: Did not finance purchase. I think the problems I had were due to having to communicate and do paperwork with remote locations. Auto purchase was handled from Hertz in Oklahoma and registration,title,etc. was handled for Hertz by a company called ABS Auto services in Tennesee.All the people that I dealt with on the phone were polite and professional. The problems were due to the logistics more than anything. Received all paperwork on Oct.30 and auto is now on the road. Hyundai's Warranty states that neither the 5 or 10 year warranty is transferrable if auto was previously a rental vehicle. I understand that the Rent to Buy program is relatively new maybe they can work the bugs out.

Edmunds

The reason I said to call and not just try to interpret the warranty terms, is because companies will put all kinds of crap just as a "CYA" measure. I suggest you call Hyundai with your VIN number, but that's up to you.

Edmund's post said: The 10/100k powertrain warranty does not pertain to commercial vehicles. However, if you look under the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty provisions on the same web page, you'll see there is no limitation for commercial use.

Edit: I have confirmed through Hyundai Customer Service that as long as the car's title was not already "branded" a 2nd time (e.g. the rental company PLUS someone else), meaning there has been only one owner, then the remainder of the 5/60k warranty transfers. I talked with a dealer the other day and they told me that when the rental company sells the car to an auctioneer and then they sell it to a dealer, these are not considered "ownership" for warranty purposes.


ALL the dealers in my area are constantly putting ex-rentals on their lot. There would be zero incentive if any remaining factory warranty was non-transferrable.

Not sure why people always say "rental cars are abused". My company rents about 10 cars a month for ex-pats/executives that come in and they treat them better than their own cars. The reason is that the user(or the company) doesn't want to have to pay for anything beyond normal usage nor do they want to risk their jobs by mistreating something so valuable.

swilson191 said: Not sure why people always say "rental cars are abused". My company rents about 10 cars a month for ex-pats/executives that come in and they treat them better than their own cars. The reason is that the user(or the company) doesn't want to have to pay for anything beyond normal usage nor do they want to risk their jobs by mistreating something so valuable.Unfortunately 10 cars a month isn't exactly Consumer Reports.

I've bought two cars from Hertz; the first was "well worn" for its tender age; the second needed $400 of DentPro's services to make it look its age, three tires needed replacement due to punctures (unheard of in my own driving experience), an alloy wheel was so badly warped that, besides replacing it, I ended up replacing the rear bearings. All that cost me a bit under $1500, but I think I saved more than that and will certainly shop there again.

Of course my sample is statistically much worse than yours, but I think it reflects "common wisdom", fwiw.

swilson191 said: Not sure why people always say "rental cars are abused". My company rents about 10 cars a month for ex-pats/executives that come in and they treat them better than their own cars. The reason is that the user(or the company) doesn't want to have to pay for anything beyond normal usage nor do they want to risk their jobs by mistreating something so valuable.

I agree to an extent that rental cars are not treated as carefully, but are today's cars so fragile that they can't handle it? More important is that they get *regular* maintenence done while in service. I have more relatives than I can count that just get their oil change when it's convenient, not when they should. Just yesterday I found out one of my relatives was due for an oil change on 8/2009 - she "might" go next week. I would rather buy an ex-rental considering the price difference and maintenence records that are available.

PoorJohn said: I've bought two cars from Hertz; the first was "well worn" for its tender age; the second needed $400 of DentPro's services to make it look its age, three tires needed replacement due to punctures (unheard of in my own driving experience), an alloy wheel was so badly warped that, besides replacing it, I ended up replacing the rear bearings. All that cost me a bit under $1500, but I think I saved more than that and will certainly shop there again.

Of course my sample is statistically much worse than yours, but I think it reflects "common wisdom", fwiw.


I might be missing the obvious but.. Why did you buy those cars if they needed extensive reconditioning on your part? Cosmetic damage should be clearly visible and the mechanical stuff would be caught with a pre-purchase inspection at the mechanic of your choosing. My local Hertz had plenty of cars to choose from - maybe yours doesn't.

I did NOT get my car inspected prior to purchase, however. It was in service for exactly 12 months, they had just renewed the safety inspection and registration ($200) and w/ 14K miles on the ODO, it smelled and drove like new. That was the norm when I purchased my car, but now I see more and more cars on the Hertz lot that have been in service for 24 months with 30K well-used miles..especially the compacts like the Corolla.

I live in Florida and am looking to purchase a Toyota Prius. I see here in Miami there are alot of high mileage rentals for sale at dealers but then I found the "Hertz-to-buy" website and this blog. They have 2008 Prius's for a really good price with low miles in Texas. Has anyone purchased an out of state Hertz Rental and how did the experience go? Do you think buying a Hybrid from a rental company is good? Would love to get your thoughts.

As Boston Dan said, for obvious reasons, factory warranties are void when the car is sold to a rental company.

Boston Dan ir correct, for obvious reasons, the manufacturers warranty is voided when the car is sold to a rental car comapny, its not that Hertz won't transfer it or something like that. Would like to hear other poeples experiences. ch

Jackct said: I live in Florida and am looking to purchase a Toyota Prius. I see here in Miami there are alot of high mileage rentals for sale at dealers but then I found the "Hertz-to-buy" website and this blog. They have 2008 Prius's for a really good price with low miles in Texas. Has anyone purchased an out of state Hertz Rental and how did the experience go? Do you think buying a Hybrid from a rental company is good? Would love to get your thoughts.

I would call the Hertz location selling the car and see if you can find someone to help you with more information on that. You might also want to get in touch with the DMVs in FL and TX and see if there are any potential headaches as far as registering the car and what not. I don't see why buying a hybrid from a rental company would be bad. The people renting them are probably more on the conservative side - not a young "kid" paying $30 a day for a Cobalt trying to see how much abuse the car will take.

mrSaturn said: Boston Dan ir correct, for obvious reasons, the manufacturers warranty is voided when the car is sold to a rental car comapny, its not that Hertz won't transfer it or something like that. Would like to hear other poeples experiences. ch

And what obvious reasons are those?

My warranty with Toyota was definitely valid, based on the first in-service date. They had that information on their computer based on my VIN and showed my warranty expiration date as being 1/2008 (they had the exact day also). I don't understand why there's so much misinformation about the remainder of the factory warranty being transferred. Certain warranties (like the Hyundai 10yr/100K powertrain warranty) don't transfer over and that's clearly stated. The bumper-to-bumper warranties however, aren't anything special and do transfer.

Like I already said.. If in doubt, call the manufacturer or your local dealer with the VIN number and ask for the warranty expiration date.

This is weird, Avis has a similar program, not as open about vehicel mileage, but they say that the car's come with a factory warranty. I can't possibly see a manufacturer honoring a warranty from a car used by a rental company. But who knows. I think the dealers who sell used rental, and if yo check teh rentals you spot them easy, one or two years old, 30 to 40k miles on them. http://Avis.autonationdirect.com/buyonline/about.aspx

mrSaturn said: This is weird, Avis has a similar program, not as open about vehicel mileage, but they say that the car's come with a factory warranty. I can't possibly see a manufacturer honoring a warranty from a car used by a rental company. But who knows. I think the dealers who sell used rental, and if yo check teh rentals you spot them easy, one or two years old, 30 to 40k miles on them. http://Avis.autonationdirect.com/buyonline/about.aspxA few years ago I read that Hertz was (then) the only rental outfit that sold only its own cars - the others were basically used car dealers. You can test that theory by asking the Avis place for their maintenance records for the vehicle.

That assumes that you *want* to buy an Avis or Hertz car. I do - I agree that even the most responsible renters probably don't treat them as well as their own cars, but I like the idea that the car was actually maintained by a corporation with standards.

As for the manufacturer's warranty transfer - my understanding was that they used to, but in the current economy it's probably a cost saving deal between Hertz and the manufacturer. Not such a big deal - the cars are certainly past infant mortality, and you get 12 months from hertz to uncover the effects of any abuse. Since they're at least 2 years old by then, and many manufacturers' warranties are 36 months, what you didn't get is part of that third year. My guess is that's not when a lot of defects show up, on modern cars.

The biggest issue for me not having a factory warranty would be loosing the peace of mind you get from the six year powertrain. I have owner 4 new cars, and actually never had a warranty repair done on any of them. Knock on wood I guess. That said, there are certainly a million aftremarket warranty companies who are dying to sell you one.

PoorJohn said: As for the manufacturer's warranty transfer - my understanding was that they used to, but in the current economy it's probably a cost saving deal between Hertz and the manufacturer.

Do you have a link to somewhere that backs up the notion that factory warranties don't transfer anymore? That's just hearsay as far as I'm concerned because no one can back it up. "Hertz Advantages" says:

Hertz said: Peace of Mind

At Hertz Car Sales we give you peace of mind! Hertz Car Sales backs every vehicle with its 5 day/5,000 mile Customer Satisfaction Policy. Most of our vehicles have the manufacturer's warranty still in effect. Plus, every Hertz Car Sales buyer is protected by a Limited Powertrain Warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Our warranty covers parts and labor on the engine, drive shaft, transmission and differential. Hertz Car Sales also offers Extended Service Agreements for an additional cost.


Some of their cars are out of warranty by the time they're removed from service, but that's due to mileage, not some restriction because the car was a rental car. I'm toying with the idea of an '09 Murano S AWD from Hertz but my current car is perfectly fine and all I do is crawl under my car every 5 months to change my oil.

S105dude said: PoorJohn said: As for the manufacturer's warranty transfer - my understanding was that they used to, but in the current economy it's probably a cost saving deal between Hertz and the manufacturer.

Do you have a link to somewhere that backs up the notion that factory warranties don't transfer anymore? That's just hearsay as far as I'm concerned because no one can back it up. "Hertz Advantages" says:

Hertz said: Peace of Mind

At Hertz Car Sales we give you peace of mind! Hertz Car Sales backs every vehicle with its 5 day/5,000 mile Customer Satisfaction Policy. Most of our vehicles have the manufacturer's warranty still in effect. Plus, every Hertz Car Sales buyer is protected by a Limited Powertrain Warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Our warranty covers parts and labor on the engine, drive shaft, transmission and differential. Hertz Car Sales also offers Extended Service Agreements for an additional cost.


Some of their cars are out of warranty by the time they're removed from service, but that's due to mileage, not some restriction because the car was a rental car. I'm toying with the idea of an '09 Murano S AWD from Hertz but my current car is perfectly fine and all I do is crawl under my car every 5 months to change my oil.
I have no link to anything. I said "probably" which I hoped would frame my comments as uninformed conjecture. Get it in writing from someone with authority.

OTOH you realize that "Most of our vehicles have the manufacturer's warranty still in effect" is as meaningless as my comment. It doesn't state, for example, "and they're transferable to the buyer" nor "and the warranty we negotiated has the same terms as the manufacturer's retail warranty."

I bought a '97 Monte Carlo from Hertz back in '99. This was obviously long before the whole Rent2Buy thing, and I purchased it from a Hertz Car Sales. The car had 33k miles on it and came with the balance of the three year, 36k mile factory warranty. I can verify that the warranty did transfer to me when I bought the car, as I had some minor service issues taken care of at the local dealer. I kept that car for eight years and put 100k on it before dumping it two years ago when the transmission was about to go. Aside from the transmission and the horrible DexCool antifreeze that GM put in the car originally, I didn't have a single issue with the car that's worth mentioning.

By the way, that was the third car my family purchased from that same Hertz Car Sales lot. My mother, my brother, and I each bought a car from them. They took very good care of us for many years.

SecondGunman said: I bought a '97 Monte Carlo from Hertz back in '99. This was obviously long before the whole Rent2Buy thing, and I purchased it from a Hertz Car Sales. The car had 33k miles on it and came with the balance of the three year, 36k mile factory warranty. I can verify that the warranty did transfer to me when I bought the car, as I had some minor service issues taken care of at the local dealer. I kept that car for eight years and put 100k on it before dumping it two years ago when the transmission was about to go. Aside from the transmission and the horrible DexCool antifreeze that GM put in the car originally, I didn't have a single issue with the car that's worth mentioning.

By the way, that was the third car my family purchased from that same Hertz Car Sales lot. My mother, my brother, and I each bought a car from them. They took very good care of us for many years.
As noted earlier, I've bought two, the most recent a 2004 Avalon. My experience is much like yours. My cautionary comments are due to the fact that they now have two sales schemes - "Rent to Buy" and what seems like the traditional "Hertz Sales" lots. I think the Hertz Sales web pages say they're franchises, not Hertz owned. Rent to Buy seems like genuine Hertz. Neither has very many cars for sale, compared to what I'd experienced in e.g. 2005. And times are tough. So my advice is to get it in writing from someone authorized to make the commitment, and keep the BS detector on high.

Check this out: http://hertzrent2buy.com/Content/Content.aspx#buydirect

On Friday I will pick up a Chevrolet HHR for my test drive...wish me luck! I know nothing about the car beyond what I've been reading online and a test drive at the local dealer.

According to that website, manufacturer's warranties are often still available.

Check this out: http://hertzrent2buy.com/Content/Content.aspx#buydirect

On Friday I will pick up a Chevrolet HHR for my test drive...wish me luck! I know nothing about the car beyond what I've been reading online and a test drive at the local dealer.

According to that website, manufacturer's warranties are often still available.

I was just about to buy a 2009 Sonata when I saw the note here about warrenty not transferable to rental owners. I am re-thinking. Not sure what I will do. Hate to take the car back, as it's really nice but I don't want to take the chance.

Skipping 158 Messages...
What ever you do NEVER take out additional insurance, or ANY Extras when renting to buy from Hertz. The have charged my account (then refunded) then charged (then refunded) for the past 5 weeks . The have no idea how this part of the service works. They just say it'll be refunded to you. this, for me has been a saga for 5 weeks. they have taken out bizarre sums ranging from $52.00 - to $900.00 They keep assuring me it will be refunded in 5 business days. Getting the car part was fine. Just DON'T RENT TO OWN!!!!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014