Scotchguard on new sofa - worth the price ?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello - did a search, didn't see any discussion on this...

My wife and I are in the market for a new sofa, and thinking ahead, am anticipating the question of whether to pay for Scotchguard-ing it or not.
So I don't even have a cost estimate for it yet, but... Any thoughts ?

A couple of questions, to start discussion:

- Does it work ?
- If so, what's a reasonable price ?
- Will the do-it-yourself spray provide similar results ? If so, do I have to reapply it occasionally ?

If it makes a difference, I have a teenager and a dog in the house

Thanks for any advice you can provide...

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Canned spray works if you don't get it originally.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070803173104AA7RpU...

Scotch guard our couch? Yes or no?
We've got a new couch. We did not get the protective spray put on before delivery. We don't have children but we have 3 cats. Is it better to clean as we go or apply scotch guard? It's not microfiber but it's incrediably soft and I don't want to affect the texture of the fabric. Any experience or advice would be helpful.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
You should have had it done before you picked the couch up. IT DOES WORK. My husband is a spiller...BIG TIME. So I don't have to clean my couch and chair. I just get paper towels and wipe the stuff off. ( I have ferrets too...the fur comes right off and doesn't stick).
My couch is cherry red velvet...looks like a million bucks all the time. (even with a spiller and 4 ferrets in the house)

It's annoying because it cost about an extra $200
Scotch guard it yourself. You might want to consider a cover for when your pets are lounging on it.

Definitely Scotch Guard it yourself! Buy the cans (they're available at WalMart for $4ish in the cleaning products aisle, white contemporary styled cans), and take your cushions off and spray them outside...BUT...don't spray them in direct sunlight as this tends to cause blotches from the spray drying too quickly. Open your windows, and spray the rest of the couch w/o cushions indoors. I purchased a set of couches a few months ago and covered a 3 seater couch and 2 seater loveseat with 4 cans. I love Scotch Guard!

Years ago before I knew better, I spent the extra money to do it on a sectional and for the kitchen chairs. I don't remember for sure what it cost, but believe it was about $300 or so and this was in the mid 90's. I didn't have kids, but did have a dog and cat. It wasn't worth it and I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks for the replies folks - I appreciate it !

Looks like I'll give the do-it-yourself spray a try...

arw3742 said: Thanks for the replies folks - I appreciate it !

Looks like I'll give the do-it-yourself spray a try...

I got my microfiber sectional treated at Rooms To Go
before they delivered. I don't think it did a damn thing - total waste of money.

Almost all the stain resistance of a fabric is built into the fabric, so don't pay a lot for any treatment.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014