• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi,

Below is a link for the SafeLink Wireless Cellphone Assistance Program. Is it legit? I don't know how to check out if it is definitely real.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/how_to_qlfy.as...

Before giving them any personal information I'd have to be sure.

Please advise.
Many Thanks.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I do know two seniors on this program. It is legitimate! You must have a low-income to qualify.

I have been on the safelink program since July, 2009. It is legit. You get a free phone w/sim card and a pre-determined amount of minutes per month. In Georgia, we get 68 min/month. It's different based on where you live. When you send or receive text, it will deduct .3 of a minute. Anyone else I call, the phone uses a minute for every minute you talk. It reloads the first 3 days of each month. I've passed the info to 2 other people who have also received their safelink phones. I love having this phone.

Veronica

Yes it is. I have one.

We are currently offering service in parts of Alabama, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin with plans to begin offering service soon in the States listed below.

SafeLink Wireless Service is coming soon to...
Arizona Puerto Rico Missouri Texas Kentucky Washington

roni30101 said: I have been on the safelink program since July, 2009. It is legit. You get a free phone w/sim card and a pre-determined amount of minutes per month. In Georgia, we get 68 min/month. It's different based on where you live. When you send or receive text, it will deduct .3 of a minute. Anyone else I call, the phone uses a minute for every minute you talk. It reloads the first 3 days of each month. I've passed the info to 2 other people who have also received their safelink phones. I love having this phone.

Veronica
Hmm, 68 minutes a month. FYI, your wired phone provider should offer a servise that you pay a flat rate fee of a dollar a months plus seven cents a call and can talk for ever.

Yes, Very legit.
And the phone they send you is not bad either. Its an LG phone

1) What happens if you accidentally go over your minutes? Is there a fee? I don't wish to purchase extra minutes or be charged extra fees...

2) Does the phone come with a charger?

3) It looks like the application is done entirely over the internet. Don't they require that you fax or mail in your tax records, etc.?

4) Exactly which government site sponsors this program?

5) What happens if you lose the phone? Is this dangerous since that specific phone is tied to a specific person's identity?

Thanks.

Answers are below the question.

1) What happens if you accidentally go over your minutes? Is there a fee? I don't wish to purchase extra minutes or be charged extra fees...
You simply can't go over. It locks you out after you reach your limit. you can only talk to the CSR or 911 emergency when you use up all your minutes.

2) Does the phone come with a charger?
Yes. In IL, they are giving out Moto W175. Every Safelink phone I've seen looks NIB except they have preactivated it to a specific number with the area code of your registered address.

3) It looks like the application is done entirely over the internet. Don't they require that you fax or mail in your tax records, etc.?
You need to be currently enrolled in a low-income "welfare" program such as food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Each state is different. In IL, SAFELINK has access to the records and can approve immediately online based on your ssn and what program you are enrolled in.

4) Exactly which government site sponsors this program?
That I'm not sure. It is actively promoted at the IL state offices that cater to the low income (public aid offices, etc).

5) What happens if you lose the phone? Is this dangerous since that specific phone is tied to a specific person's identity?
I don't have an answer. I believe it was on the website. it is essentially a TRACFONE, but the gov buys you X amount of minutes every month.

Good luck. I've helped 4 seniors sign up for this program and all have received their fones within 3 business days. it comes USPS. In IL, it is 63 mins/month. it is just enough for emergency phone calls when they are out of their homes.

"3) It looks like the application is done entirely over the internet. Don't they require that you fax or mail in your tax records, etc.?
You need to be currently enrolled in a low-income "welfare" program such as food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Each state is different. In IL, SAFELINK has access to the records and can approve immediately online based on your ssn and what program you are enrolled in."

That varies by state in Alabama for example if you are low income but not on a "welfare" program (ssi, school lunch, etc) you can just prove it by mailing in copies of your income information. Each state sets the rules for this part of the program.

what is the link to find promotion bonus after you buy more minutes (getting extra air time on phone).

lilducky13d8 said: what is the link to find promotion bonus after you buy more minutes (getting extra air time on phone).
Try this Thread
Hope it helps!

its legit, sign up if you are eligible.

This program is sponsored by the FCC and is funded by the "Universal Service" fee everyone pays on their phone bill.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/lllu.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014