• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
rated:

OM Policy pg1
Disclaimer

OM Policy pg2
Disclaimer
Just got back from recycling inks at OfficeMax and they say they are changing the way it works. Read the details and you will agree with me that it is now the WORST RECYCLING PROGRAM of any office store. I included a scan of the flier that was given to me.

Here are the Basics:

Starting Jan 1, 2010, you can only recycle up to 20 ink cartridges PER MONTH.
You can no longer do bulk recycling.
You only get rewards in the amount that you spent. Purchases made from rewards do not count towards that amount.

So, they basically took the worst parts from Staples and Office Depot's Recycle Program and made theirs the worst recycle program of the office stores.

[Mods, if this does not belong here, please move to an appropriate forum. I just thought this would help a lot of folks that use OM's recycle program.]

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The stupidity! If it is a business acount there could be several people able to drop off inks for the account! It did ha... (more)

judicska (Nov. 05, 2010 @ 7:43a) |

My October MaxPerks rewards are available from the rewards site.

bpvh (Nov. 17, 2010 @ 12:33a) |

Thanks!

judicska (Nov. 17, 2010 @ 8:14a) |

Qualifying cartridges are any visibly undamaged HP, Dell, Lexmark, Brother, Epson, Samsung, Kodak, Sharp or Canon ink or toner cartridges. Excludes ink tanks and remanufactured cartridges of any brand. Qualified items are determined by OfficeMax at its sole discretion. Please see officemax.com/maxperks for full recycling program details.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

yup, they learned it from Office Depot. I got the flyer too yesterday and thought will post but you beat me. I wish they had not changed the policy but then again what can we do.

This will definitely hurt the empty ink cart resellers on eBay...which some claim accounts for about 50% of all eBay activity. So much for an economic recovery

imteddy said: yup, they learned it from Office Depot. I got the flyer too yesterday and thought will post but you beat me. I wish they had not changed the policy but then again what can we do.

Does Office Depot exclude purchases made with recycle dollars?

Senior member?
I don't really understand how does it belong to Hot Deals forum?

STOP! You are about to post in the HOT DEALS category.

* This category is ONLY for posting of great deals.
* DO NOT post questions.
* DO NOT post requests.
* DO check to see if the offer has already been posted.
* DO check your price with Compare Prices tab above.

THANK YOU for your cooperation!

rishi said: This will definitely hurt the empty ink cart resellers on eBay...which some claim accounts for about 50% of all eBay activity. So much for an economic recovery50% of all eBay activity is ink reselling? How do you figure.

WishingOnAStar said: Starting Jan 1, 2010, you can only recycle up to 20 ink cartridges PER MONTH.
Hope it's not "up to 5 cartridges per week for up to 20 per month".

looks like Office Depot has gone back to allowing 5 cartridges a day without any restriction on money spent there!!
They just became the best for recycling,unless they change rules and regs in midstream!!
nedflip44

where did you hear this

nedflip44 said: looks like Office Depot has gone back to allowing 5 cartridges a day without any restriction on money spent there!!
They just became the best for recycling,unless they change rules and regs in midstream!!
nedflip44

Confirmed today!! Very Sad....Stuck with 900 inks recently ordered.....Can't complain though made about 20g this year off OM

OK, this really stinks but bear with me on this process.

I have always used my ink recycling rewards to get AMEX gift cards, some places won't let you and some will. ASSUMING that they don't all stop letting you get them. . . .

Use the ink recycling rewards you earned in December to buy AMEX gift cards when you get the credits in January.
Use the gift cards (not the maxperks rewards) to purchase stuff ( $54 worth, pretax)
This will then allow you to turn in 18 cartridges and get credit, as you made a legit purchase for $54 (the AMEX card works like a credit card)
When you get the $54 reward in Feb. use it to buy a $50 AMEX card (the 50 plus the 4 could by 5 dollar activiation fee).
Then use this card to make a qualifying purchase in Feb

Repeat every month. You will never earn AMEX gift card $ again, but can continue to get free stuff, in $50 incriments, every month.

Sound like this will work???

Im in So Cal. (Bakersfield, CA) Which Office Max's around here let you get AMEX or Visa or MC gift cards....TIA

Im in So Cal. (Bakersfield, CA) Which Office Max's around here let you get AMEX or Visa or MC gift cards....TIA

OP: Thanks for posting this. ignore the people that dont appreciate your efforts for the benefit of the community. This is truly a sad turn of events for officemax. i used to think the recycling was the only redeeming factor about their store...not anymore! to the fellow that posted his idea about using the AMEX prepaid card (or a officemax gift card would do the same) i have a hunch that it wont work as it says qualifying purchases which generally excludes gift cards, prepaid credit cards etc... has anyone confirmed if this is a nationwide thing? just purchased almost 2000 cartridges this weekend.

pooh 83 - Not sure, from Ohio, about 2/3 of the stores I go to permit the purchase of gift cards.

Crazypalooza - Buying the AMEX will NOT be the purchase, but what you buy WITH it will be. And you will use the credit you earn to buy the next AMEX card, and use the AMEX card to make the next months qualifying purchase, since the AMEX card is essentially a credit card. So the purchase OF the card will not count (as it is a GC and bought with rewards) but the purchase WITH the card will. I could always be mistaken, but I think I am correct.

bucko1212 said: pooh 83 - Not sure, from Ohio, about 2/3 of the stores I go to permit the purchase of gift cards.

Crazypalooza - Buying the AMEX will NOT be the purchase, but what you buy WITH it will be. And you will use the credit you earn to buy the next AMEX card, and use the AMEX card to make the next months qualifying purchase, since the AMEX card is essentially a credit card. So the purchase OF the card will not count (as it is a GC and bought with rewards) but the purchase WITH the card will. I could always be mistaken, but I think I am correct.

why do you assume that you cant pay for the purchase each month using your ink credit, as opposed to this backdoor way? currently ink rewards are put in the system as an officemax gift card, so likely it should be fine.

That would be awesome! But the sign that was scanned at th etop of this page from OMAX says that purchases made with you Rewards do not count.

bucko1212 said: That would be awesome! But the sign that was scanned at the top of this page from OMAX says that purchases made with you Rewards do not count.
You're right, purchases made with Rewards do not count. None of my area stores allow the purchase of AMEX cards. If they did, that would be an easy way around it.

they just sent out emails to maxperks customers with this policy change as well. confirming its nationwide.

wow, so i mailed in about 300 in bulk rewards YESTERDAY, and they are scheduled to receive this on January 4th. Does that mean I will not get any credit for it?

In my store, if I return something purchased with my recycling reward, I get a regular plastic gift card (with no expiration date). Not certain, but I think purchases made with the regular gift card would be qualified purchases. Anyone know?

BGALLTHAT said: wow, so i mailed in about 300 in bulk rewards YESTERDAY, and they are scheduled to receive this on January 4th. Does that mean I will not get any credit for it?

Not if they do not get there by December 31st according to the 1st page the OP posted.

really disappointed like all of you. can someone help me clarify the example provided:

For example, if you bring in 20 cartridges throughout Month 1 and spend $50 on qualified purchases, your Month 1 recycling rewards earned will be $60, but the rewards that will be issued to you will be $48 (which is $3 for each of 16 cartridges). The remaining $12 for the last 4 cartridges will be held in your account in a “pending” status until you make additional

question: do I need to make a purchase at the same time or in the same month that I do the ink recycle?

question: in the example above what happens if I make a $100 qualifying purchase and turn in 20 ink carts. does the remaining $40 in the qualifying purchase carry over or get credited as part of your total qualifying purchase?

I am going to try the AMEX thing today and consolidate all my statements into 1 card to see if that will work.

anyone have the link or verbiage that says what you can't buy with your reward statements? does it list the restrictions somewhere?

The big tell here is that they ended the Bulk Recycling program entirely. Since the bulk program provided no incentive to ever visit an OM store they must have been getting paid well by the manufacturers - at least enough to cover administrative costs, shipping, and the rewards. My guess is that whoever pays them for the cartridges instituted some sort of limit making such a bulk program far from profitable.

However, although the above helps me understand why the bulk program was ended, I cannot deduce any justification for the changes made to the in-store program. If $3 per cartridge was not profitable at 10 cartridges per week it won't be profitable at 20 per month. Furthermore, even if you like the new program, you now only need to visit the store 12 times a year as opposed to 52.

With both Office Max and Office Depot requiring purchases to get ANY rewards, isn't Staples the new best option? Are they still 10 per month at $3 each with no purchase required?

greatdeals_007 said: anyone have the link or verbiage that says what you can't buy with your reward statements? does it list the restrictions somewhere?

Read the bottom of Page 2 that the OP posted.

bnzjamin said: Are they still 10 per month at $3 each with no purchase required?

Yes. Staples Rewards

Hey I am new to this. Is there a post on fat wallet on how all this works. Do I buy empty cartridges and then take them into these stores and they will give us a credit for in store purchases. Thanks

vnw98 said: Hey I am new to this. Is there a post on fat wallet on how all this works. Do I buy empty cartridges and then take them into these stores and they will give us a credit for in store purchases. Thanks

Read this listing on eBay. They pretty much give you the run down. Office Max has changed their policy obviously.

Ebay Description of stores ink cartridge policy

yes that sums it up

that has to do with qualifying purchases. I found what I was looking for on the officemax terms and conditions website

Reward cards are not redeemable for OfficeMax brand gift cards and are not redeemable for cash unless otherwise required by law. No amount of your reward card may be applied as payment to any credit account.

I am going to try to redeem towards the AMEX card and see if that will work.

At the very least, I suggest everyone send OM a quick email expressing your dissatisfaction with the changes. I made sure to point out that their higher prices, fewer locations, and longer lines were tolerable with the current (soon to be old) rewards program but come the new year Staples will be getting all of our business.

bnzjamin said: ... and longer lines were tolerable ...There's almost never anybody in my store.

If anyone plans to buy something big next month for recycling credit, you may want to hold off because from the program printout, it's unclear if these 2 things are possible. First, if you have any reward carried over from previous month, can you still earn $60 by turning in 20 cart's in current month? If this is possible, you can accumulate $720 by end of year. Second, if you make a big purchase to get recycling credit, can this credit be applied toward subsequent months or it's valid for current month only? If yes, you can buy something big in Jan to get rewards issued every month later, or you can wait till Nov or Dec to buy and get one big reward.

one more reason to stop shopping at officemax...

thanks for the heads-up

not following your question. if you login to Office Depot or Staples you will see a running total of all qualifying purchases for that year or qtr. I believe officemax will be the same way in terms of whatever items you purchase that are eligible as a qualifying purchase will then be tracked on a ytd basis. so whatever ink carts are recycled will then be issued depending on how much is available in your accumulated qualifying purchases.

does anyone know if you purchase gift cards with cash if that would be considered a qualifying purchase?

no problem getting the AMEX cards. I had my printout of the officemax terms and conditions with me in case I received some push back. wished I had tried this sooner!

No go on gift cards with rewards at two Chicago-land stores. Even with printout in hand. Hate you Officemax....even more...

Skipping 87 Messages...
Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014