Heavy Cream....where to buy it?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I m looking to buy heavy cream and not heavy whipping cream. I cant find it anywhere...Can anyone tell me where to get it

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I find it incredible that several posters here have suggested that the original question was not appropriate for the Dea... (more)

NantucketSunrise (Jan. 20, 2010 @ 4:01p) |

Sticking up for this post is like trying to defend the artistic ability of the very worst early round contestants - thin... (more)

lousygolfer (Jan. 20, 2010 @ 6:49p) |

I buy Nestle "table" cream from WalMart all the time, dont know if this is the same as "heavy". Its usually right next t... (more)

vrb747 (Jan. 24, 2010 @ 2:28a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

at the supermarket.

BrianGa said: at the supermarket.

To Buy Heavy Cream:

1. Go to your local Supermarket, 7-11, Drugstore, Corner Store

2. Enter Store

3. Proceed to DAIRY AISLE

4. Find MILK

5. HEAVY CREAM should be to left, right, or above MILK

6. Take to Register and pay

7. You have now obtained Heavy Cream

CONGRATULATIONS!

Sarcasm based on not understanding the subtlety of what's being discussed isn't funny. The OP stated very clearly that she/he was looking for "heavy cream and not heavy whipping cream". Obviously the OP thinks there are these 2 different kinds of cream, and that's why the question is being asked.

In the US, cream doesn't have many different varieties. In the UK, cream has about 6 different types (or more, when they get really technical). The interesting thing (to me, having been brought up in the US) is that all those types are indeed different - they behave differently during cooking, they taste different, they have different fat contents, they are used on different occasions and for different recipes.

See Delia Smith for a brief overview of some of the UK cream types: http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/ingredients-a-z/ingredients-a-c/Cream.html

OP, if you are following an American recipe, they probably mean for you to use heavy whipping cream. If you are following a recipe from anywhere else in the English-speaking world, you'll have to figure out what they meant by "heavy cream". You may not be able to get that exact kind of cream here and must substitute the heavy whipping cream for it, but it may behave a tiny bit differently than what is meant for your recipe.

coconut milk will also work, try it.

both the same thing....

NantucketSunrise said:
In the US, cream doesn't have many different varieties. In the UK, cream has about 6 different types (or more, when they get really technical). The interesting thing (to me, having been brought up in the US) is that all those types are indeed different - they behave differently during cooking, they taste different, they have different fat contents, they are used on different occasions and for different recipes.

See Delia Smith for a brief overview of some of the UK cream types: http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/ingredients-a-z/ingredien...

Well, technically the difference between the creams in the article above is just the amount of fat. And the culture for sour cream.

BTW, why is this discussed here anyway rather than Martha Stewart blog? Is there a deal on cream mentioned at any point?

The OP may be getting at a subtle difference. IME, what's sold in the U.S. as "heavy whipping cream" has additives meant to stiffen and stabilize the whipped cream so it won''t soften or re-liquify after whipping. When used to make whipped cream, those additives are not too noticeable to the palate. When used to make homemade ice cream for example, the additives add a definite waxy texture and feel to the ice cream. Some won't notice -- I definitely do. Simple heavy cream will be just the cream with perhaps a preservative. Same with light cream. I'd love to find heavy cream without the additives myself, for making ice cream. I don't know why it's so hard to find.

So for the OP, if it's a cooking recipe calling for heavy cream, the heavy whipping cream will likely work fine. If you're looking for unadulterated heavy cream, good luck. I would try contacting local/regional dairies or the home offices of your store brands.

OP you don't say what you want it for. Possibly creme fraiche may work for you. You can get it at Trader Joe's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fraiche

I believe that OP had a good question....that said,

OP should ignore some people below that either don't have good social skills , don't cook, or are not in the process of learning cooking skills.

I was in the same boat-looking for just heavy cream and not something with glyceride additives. I'm in Massachusetts and readily find it at Whole Foods and Hannafords. If you can find it, organic heavy cream should only have heavy cream and nothing else-even if you don't care if it's organic or not.

Some all natural Hood versions have the additives. If whipping, don't forget to pre-chill your bowl. I speak having just bought the Kitchenaid mixer from the Kohl's deal.

Happy whipping.

Yesterday I saw Heavy cream in a half gallon container at Wal-Mart, next to the milk. Wal-Mart also sells organic dairy products *can't vouch for the heavy cream, since I did not look into it* as does Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. You should find what you are looking for in any of those stores.
PEACE

Costco

It's also worth doing an online search to see if there are still any local dairies in your area. (You can sometimes find them by searching for artisanal cheesemakers, if a search for dairies doesn't work.)

Here is a list of SOME local dairies by state, from a site that lists dairies that still sell milk in glass bottles. Neither of our two local dairies is on that list, so I know it's by no means inclusive. Even commercial dairies, if they're not corporate-owned, will sometimes sell specialty products direct to consumer.

I think some of you very helpful members are being too kind and too intolerant of the sarcasm. Lilswtsnowpea's inquiry was a poor one for quite a few reasons:

1) Indeed, why is she posting her request for help on a bargain hunters' website instead of a culinary one?

2) Why didn't she provide us with her geographical area? What good would it do to tell her about stores that have it without knowing if she even lives within a thousand miles of one of those stores?

3) Where did she already look?

4) For what recipe does she need this cream? As someone else asked above, is it an American recipe or is it English or from some other country?

I would suggest Whole Foods or Trader Joes's, if you live near one, or else if you have a local organic food store or co-op, try there. If they don't have it, ask to talk to the person in charge of the dairy department and see if they can either order it for you or if they know where you can buy it locally.

I would also suggest either a bit more research on your own than it appears that you've done or else if you've actually done some legwork trying to find this dairy product, give us half a sentence telling what you've already done. FW is an incredibly helpful place and most people here are willing to help out a perfect stranger as part of a reciprocal sharing of information, but I think it's reasonable to expect that someone will have made some attempt to find information himself or herself first before inquiring, rather than just give the appearance, as you've done, of helplessly crying "Help me!"

I can probably make some for you. It might take a minute or two but I'm sure I can whip some up.

I run a bakery, and we often use manufacturing cream, which has a fat content of >40%. We buy it from Smart & Final, but if you don't have one near you, you may want to contact local restaurant supply stores.

NantucketSunrise said: Sarcasm based on not understanding the subtlety of what's being discussed isn't funny. The OP stated very clearly that she/he was looking for "heavy cream and not heavy whipping cream". Obviously the OP thinks there are these 2 different kinds of cream, and that's why the question is being asked.While I agree that the sarcasm was a perhaps over the top; it is not totally unwarranted. The OP's question is vague and not appropriate for a Deal Discussion forum - the web is very broad and deep, there are certainly literally hundred of better places to post this question other than a web site devoted to finding shopping deals.

BTW, Publix in Florida has both Whipping Cream and Heavy Cream in the dairy section.

I find it incredible that several posters here have suggested that the original question was not appropriate for the Deal Discussions forum of Fatwallet.

Where were these arbitrators of appropriateness when countless feckless people have asked here, "What kind of laptop is best?", "What cell phone do I need?", "I want a water bottle that is made of steel but is insulated, any thoughts?", etc.

--Just because it's a general question that is related to food instead of holy electronic equipment, it does not mean that it's inappropriate to Deal Discussion. (I remember that past threads on here have been on how to make yogurt at home, how to find Greek yogurt, the joys of Scottish oatmeal, where to buy pre-packaged Indian food in the US, etc.)
--The Deal Discussion forum is not Hot Deals - it does not have to be about getting a good price on something or a specific deal that is currently in effect. It can be about how to locate something that is hard to find, or for advice about products that the OP doesn't know much about but is sincerely interested in.
--This is not the Travel forum, when you are expected to answer 20 questions before you can make a request. Deal Discussions does not have a "Stop! Before you post, you have to x,y,z" message when one elects to start a new topic here.

Also, I disagree that the sarcasm (some of which has been taken off now) was warranted. It only showed the ignorance (about food) and unkindness of those posters. It's particularly annoying when people are mistakenly convinced that their knowledge of the world is complete, and feel that it's funny to be cocky about it.

NantucketSunrise said: I find it incredible that several posters here have suggested that the original question was not appropriate for the Deal Discussions forum of Fatwallet.

Where were these arbitrators of appropriateness when countless feckless people have asked here, "What kind of laptop is best?", "What cell phone do I need?", "I want a water bottle that is made of steel but is insulated, any thoughts?", etc.

--Just because it's a general question that is related to food instead of holy electronic equipment, it does not mean that it's inappropriate to Deal Discussion. (I remember that past threads on here have been on how to make yogurt at home, how to find Greek yogurt, the joys of Scottish oatmeal, where to buy pre-packaged Indian food in the US, etc.)
--The Deal Discussion forum is not Hot Deals - it does not have to be about getting a good price on something or a specific deal that is currently in effect. It can be about how to locate something that is hard to find, or for advice about products that the OP doesn't know much about but is sincerely interested in.
--This is not the Travel forum, when you are expected to answer 20 questions before you can make a request. Deal Discussions does not have a "Stop! Before you post, you have to x,y,z" message when one elects to start a new topic here.

Also, I disagree that the sarcasm (some of which has been taken off now) was warranted. It only showed the ignorance (about food) and unkindness of those posters. It's particularly annoying when people are mistakenly convinced that their knowledge of the world is complete, and feel that it's funny to be cocky about it.

Sticking up for this post is like trying to defend the artistic ability of the very worst early round contestants - think William Hung - on American Idol. It is simply misguided and so puzzling as to be outright humorous. In the future, before you post something like this, maybe you ought to take a little break, come back and re-read what you wrote before hitting the "Reply" button.

This thread's orginal post is only slightly better than one that states nothing more than: "Makeup: Should I wear it and if so, what kind?"

Incidentally, most of us who criticized the original post actually did try to provide as helpful of information as was possible in light of the OP's absurdly vague and uninformative post.

I buy Nestle "table" cream from WalMart all the time, dont know if this is the same as "heavy". Its usually right next to the condensed milk cans. Some Walmarts carry them, some dont, so you may have to search. I find them at grocery stores like Publix or WinnDixie too, but usually they are double in price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014